PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro vs. stocked pegs!

Darth Alex
03-12-2004, 02:03 PM
I've been really busy, so I haven't had time to post much, but.....in my time away I've been making a few calls to find out just what is going on with the lack of SW product out there. I mean zilch,zip,nada week after week after week.
This will be the 'brief':rolleyes: summary, next week I'll post in more detail.
After talking to as many toy department managers and assistant managers at TRUs, KBs, Walmarts, and Kmarts in the NE and Central PA area it seems the problem is NOT with the retailers. While collectively they may not be perfect, the general gist is there ARE no new cases coming in to put out(of new stuff). In the past 6 weeks besides the CW Animated find myself, brother James, and Sith Lord found at the Target in WB, PA, there has been almost nothing out there-one case of HOF at a TRU in Williamsport on 3/10 and a single case of the 2nd Ultra wave at a Kmart also in Williamsport on 3/9.
I called Hasbro and got the same tired response, that it's on the backs of these retailers to order their products and distribute them properly.
When I called the main Walmart CS Hotline in AZ, I found out that they believe Hasbro is having trouble keeping up with the demand and not being able to make enough products to get out there for sale.
Look at the online stores-pretty much the same thing...restocks of new stuff are harder to come by than in past years, and while not to single anyone out, stores like Toy Bliss are a complete zero when it comes to regularly carrying new stuff as well.
My guess is that this problem is going on ALL OVER the US and probably the world by default.
Walmart in particular has ordered the SW line, but can not get any product in from Hasbro when it's ordered anymore.
Next week I'll update this thread with more results, specific people I talked to, and some more input.
Bottom line-this is getting to be a pretty bad year for distribution and with some of the lousy months we've had since mid-98 that is saying a LOT.
If gas goes up like the "experts" are predicting, I will just order cases from EE or the SW Shop once they get running properly.
I gotta say though, I'll stick with the hobby, but it's a real downer to go out and find nothing, let alone not being able to get any movement when going the extra mile and bringing the problem to the attention of people in the know.
My final gripe-Hasbro has GOT to be aware of what's going on by now and I wonder why they just.don't.fix.it.period. How much more feed back do they need? I thought the SA Clonetrooper would be everywhere, now it's even figures like R1-G4 that are really scarce,too.
So, has anyone else out there gotten the same feedback from store leaders and/or Hasbro...? I'm curious to know.

Dr Zoltar
03-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Great post Darth Alex! While I haven't spoken any store or department managers, I can confirm the emptiness of pegs in the Pacific NW. Target, Wal-Mart, TRU, Fred Meyers, and K-Mart have been very spotty for the past 2 months. Target has had empty pegs of Saga figures for 3 weeks straight now.

Stores are just now starting to stock the Wave 2 ultra sets. I saw a few HOF figures once, and the R1-G4 wave once. But that is all.

Darth Alex
03-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Great post Darth Alex! While I haven't spoken any store or department managers, I can confirm the emptiness of pegs in the Pacific NW. Target, Wal-Mart, TRU, Fred Meyers, and K-Mart have been very spotty for the past 2 months. Target has had empty pegs of Saga figures for 3 weeks straight now.

Stores are just now starting to stock the Wave 2 ultra sets. I saw a few HOF figures once, and the R1-G4 wave once. But that is all.
Thanks for the feedback-I guess it's like this all over. That is unfortunate.
At least by being polite BUT persistant one can hopefully get some movement getting figures on pegs. Hopefully the calls and posts will pay off. This hobby is a whole lotta fun, but sometimes it needs a big push...again and again....

Kidhuman
03-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, I for one have not seen anything on any pegs except Ultras. My Wal-Mart has not stocked any new 3.75 figures since Dec. and I found R1 and R2 bar tender in mid January. This lack of figures is irking me. Now I know certain stores cant order if they have a certain amount of figs oin the pegs, but they have 2002 figures still up there. Come on Hasbro, I thought these were supposed to be returned? It really does suck not to found things in your favorite hobby.

El Chuxter
03-12-2004, 05:51 PM
I found the Tantive IV wave and most of the Tatooine wave around a month ago, and a friend of mine in Orange County CA found the Jabba and Jabba's Denizens around the same time. That's it, though, for new figures. Pegs are empty. EMPTY! It makes me really worry about the product for the rest of this year.

Oh, wait, I forgot: KB and TRU have figures. Old figures. I could create a damn army of Lott Dodd if I wanted to.

JediTricks
03-12-2004, 06:13 PM
LA has been nigh barren for nearly 2 months now, except for a case here or there that gets snatched up 10 seconds after store opening. Even the scalpers can't find much of this stuff. If 2004 ends up as bad as 2003, I am fairly certain that we'll see maybe 30% of the collectors out there quit the hobby... and how good for business can THAT be? Instead of corporate finger-pointing, maybe Hasbro should let the buck stop with them and try to FIX the problem instead of hemorrhaging customers.

Kidhuman
03-12-2004, 08:05 PM
If I had a steady flow of income, I would order cases. It is getting ridiculous to find new stuff. I am not worried about extras, as I could give the extras to my step son or trade or sell em.

Darth Kev
03-13-2004, 12:05 AM
I agree with you guys. There's not a lot out here in CT either. I have to make the rounds about once a week, but usually come up empty at wal mart... I can sympathize with the army of Lott Dodd's (which soon will include the army of Bail Organas) that you can readily purchase at TRU. KB has huge stock of figs that are at least a year old (Teemto, Shaak Ti, Djas Puhr, etc. that are knocked down to 2.99 right now, but you can only have so many of each, right??). I got lucky at Target the other day with the Dodonna wave - they had 5 figs on all their saga pegs (total, not different figures), each one was a different which was nice, so I scooped them all up. But they weren't there a week ago. They also had two more of the Cartoon figs that I needed, and of course if you want an army of animated Clone Troopers and Count Dooku's....
I have been looking hard on ebay for stuff now too, and I've come to realize that to me that is a big part of the problem of not seeing stuff out there. Non-collectors and greedies are scooping everything up at the stores to sell at auction for a mere two to three dollars more than they paid, sometimes up to $15 for a single figure that we know we'll see at TRU or Wal mart six months after its release, warming pegs. :mad:
I'm seriously considering getting a second job one or two nights at TRU or wal mart just so I can get this stuff when it comes in. Fortunately for right now I have an understanding fiance who knows that if a store has one piece I need, or 30 pieces I need, we're coming home with all of it because it won't be there next time.
Anyway, may the force be with us all out on the hunt!

Darth Kev
03-13-2004, 12:09 AM
I also might add that Hasbro's right next door in Rhode Island so you would THINK that CT would get some of this stuff sooner... It kills me that some of you halfway across the country found the Dodonna wave back in January and I just found it two days ago!!

darthzirock
03-13-2004, 01:19 AM
I also might add that Hasbro's right next door in Rhode Island so you would THINK that CT would get some of this stuff sooner... It kills me that some of you halfway across the country found the Dodonna wave back in January and I just found it two days ago!!

If it kills you, can I have your figures? :D Because I haven't seen squat past the 2004 Hoth wave here in North/South Carolina for basic figures! :frus:

Sidiously Darth
03-13-2004, 01:51 AM
I know the feeling. I resorted to ebay for Dodonna, Antilles & Gold Leader. I paid $7.99, $6.99 & $7.99 but didn't have to drive around for them. I've been unsuccessful in my hunt for Tanus Spijek. I'm willing to pay $9.99 + shipping but the current auctions are ridiculous. I'm sure the scalpers are thanking Hasbro now.

For example, check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3181500457&category=2476

Don't choke on your winnings loser!

bobafrett
03-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Well, at least at this point, nobody is bidding on it. $45 for a figure that hasn't even seen the pegs at my local retailers yet? If I don't find this or any others, I will wait, even if it is years from now to find it at a lower auction price. I mean look at the R2's with holo Leia, years ago, I was seeing them going for $40 and up, now I've seen them selling for much lower.

As far as stuff around here, it's the same as the rest of my fellow SSG posters, though I don't mind as I'm oin the process of packing up getting ready to move.

Darth Kev
03-13-2004, 10:28 AM
If it kills you, can I have your figures? :D Because I haven't seen squat past the 2004 Hoth wave here in North/South Carolina for basic figures! :frus:
It Pains me, Darth Zirock!!
And sorry, the grandchildren (hopefully a long way off;)) will get the figs someday.

Darth Kev
03-13-2004, 10:36 AM
For example, check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3181500457&category=2476

Don't choke on your winnings loser!
I'm telling ya, Sidiously, if someone bites on this then the joke's on them. It's obvious to me that Tanus (and J'Quille) are going to be the next pegwarmers. I can still go to my local Wal mart and find tons of the Zutton wave, and local TRU has nothin' but Bail, Bail, Bail.
Don't getta me wrongo, I still must have them for my collection, but as for the little kids just getting into this collecting phenomenon, I think they are out for the PT and familiar major characters from the OT.

Darth Alex
03-17-2004, 10:40 AM
So, continuing the thread....
I am getting the impression that Hasbro has not made enough product to go around. Rebelscum has the news items about Amazon not getting in anymore of the Yavin wave-completely insane, since this wave is still new.
What happened to the days when figures would restock in stores and online and come down in price if they were raised initially due to newness?
Why is it so hard to find anything new on a consistant basis???
I've done my duty for hobby and country:rolleyes: . I've called my local store managers and even called the HQ CS lines for Walmart, etc. The only answer I get consistently is that Hasbro is having trouble manufacturing product and that store orders can't be filled. Again, even online stores charge $20 a clip for new figures no matter how major or secondary.
I.....probably won't give up at this point, but there is no way I can sustain any major interest in a hobby that treats it's loyal, passionate, educated, and ready-to-buy fans this poorly...:mad:
My big beef is that there are no solutions, no answers, nothing from Hasbro. Remember when their heads of state used to claim at conventions and things like Toyfare that "this year, everyone will be able to find what they want, just be patient"? I don't even care to army build and that sort of buying DOES move product. I can't even find a SA Clonetrooper-the one I ordered from r2dtoys was part of a stolen batch of orders the beginning of March. I called Hasbro today about it and they could care less. I don't expect Hasbro to be responsible for theft at an independent retailer, but I blame them for even having to order the figure from a UK site. Hasbro just doesn't get it.
If this is how the hobby will be until the OTC drops and then the EP3 figures, why should I care to continue? What incentive is there? I have a whole lot of better things to do with my time than to make it a 3rd job trying to find toys.
This is the point where it is ceasing to be fun.
When a hobby becomes a chore, that's when I start re-evaluating why I'm even pursuing it, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion:bored:

Kidhuman
03-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Hasbro has had this probelm for awhile now. Not being able toproduce enough figures. Maybe they should hire more people. Maybe they shouldnt ship waves out so quickly. Maybe every 6-8 weeks, give sometime to fill orders. If it wasnt for the X-mas rush, I probably would still be looking for 1/2 of the 2003 figures still. And at X-mas time, how about shipping some of the older cases as well Hasbro?

jjreason
03-18-2004, 03:08 AM
Well, I've said before and I'll say it again: join Kebco. They have a guaranteed "one of every figure" club. All you need is patience to be perfectly happy with their set up. Fair prices on toys and shipping - no worries about not finding that scarce or hot figure. I got everything I wanted from last year without having to drive anywhere (I did, mind you, because I still enjoy the shopping - but I didn't HAVE to). If you're not finding what you want, even months after they've been found elsewhere - it might be a good option for you to look into.

Darth Alex
03-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Well, I've said before and I'll say it again: join Kebco. They have a guaranteed "one of every figure" club. All you need is patience to be perfectly happy with their set up. Fair prices on toys and shipping - no worries about not finding that scarce or hot figure. I got everything I wanted from last year without having to drive anywhere (I did, mind you, because I still enjoy the shopping - but I didn't HAVE to). If you're not finding what you want, even months after they've been found elsewhere - it might be a good option for you to look into.
If and it's a big IF I continue to buy figures with the current state of affairs, I am gonna look at Kebco as an option. Either that or buy cases from EE, the Star Wars Shop when it gets back up, etc....
I'd just like the thrill on a regular basis again of getting pumped up finding some cool figs on store shelves, unlike the current drought:bored: .

Kidhuman
03-18-2004, 08:47 PM
I found the mother load today. Got me 8 figures. The one bad thing is they come out in spurts and when I see them, I have to get them or I will never get them. I am happy about lay-a-way though. It has saved me a few times.

B'Omarr Monkey
03-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I've considered joining Kebco, but haven't for 2 reasons. I freelance, so my income rises and falls, and I can't get hit all at once with 6 figures plus 4 scene packs and a vehicle for instance. That's the first reason. The second, is I actually enjoy the hunt. there's nothing more satisfying than actually finding something on the pegs at a store. Granted I've been coming home empty handed quite a bit, but I seem to be able to catch up periodically as well.

The stores here haven't had much to speak of in quite a while. For months there was absolutely nothing, then I found most of the Jabba wave and all of the Yavin wave in one visit to Wal-Mart (nothing there since). I also found all of the animated style figures with little problem, and on a recent visit to mid-Michigan scored some stuff that never showed near me (Eastern Mass.) but were clearly pegwarmers there, including the scene packs for $10.00 each at Target!

I went for months where I was despairing to be around 40 figures behind, simply because I couldn't find them. Now I'm down to about ten, or so, including Jabba's Palace Luke, R1-G4, J'Quille, Tanis Speejak, CW Mace, CW Durge, the Research Droids, Droid Factory Flight R2, some of the Clone Troopers from the Wal-Mart bonus sets and from the 3 packs and Anakin and Dooku with their speeder bikes. As you can see there's a range of waves there.

Some of these guys like the research droids and DFF R2, I see online for about what I'd be paying thru TRU anyway, others will eventually show up that way. Heck, I was down about the scene packs that never showed here, and what I'd be paying for them online, and they fell into my lap at $10 a shot. I'm one of the people who held off on the R2 w/holographic Leia, and finally bid on one on ebay. It showed up today for about $13 including shipping. Much cheaper than the $50 I was seeeing it for a year ago. I also got the Target exc. A-Wing on ebay for $20 including shipping which is what it would have cost me if I found it at Target.

In spite of all this, I shouldn't have to be hunting so hard, or hitting the secondary market for toys that should be as available as say, "The Transformers." I've posted elsewhere about how many pegs are given to lines like Transformers, Powere Rangers and even The Hulk, for crying out loud, These sections always seem to be full, and I see the same toys amongst them all the time (I have a son who likes Power Rangers and can attest to being able to return weeks later to buy a character passed up on the previous visit), but constant empty SW pegs. It doesn't make sense that retailers would keep such obviously popular toys unavailable to their customers. Why wouldn't they be restocking them? Maybe Hasbro really is screwing up their end w/production.

I asked at my local TRU which finally stocked new product and it happened to be the Luke/Vader ROTJ final duel wave. This wave was not sitting in a back room. It had just been delivered from Hasbro. Everybody who wanted these figures got them around Xmas, now here they are, several boxes worth, destined to be peg warmers, instead of the fast moving Jabba's palace wave or Tatooine wave they could have sent.

Hasbro is doing a commendable job with the ultra line. They are readily available, and rotating out some characters with limited (non collector) appeal like Rieeken, Jabba's denizens, etc, amongst the constant Jabba and Wampa seems to have been a smart move guaranteeing constant restocking which brings in new characters for the tcollectors, and minimizing peg warmers.

Now if they could only get the ball rolling on the regular figure lines. Maybe if they stopped with the bad rehash packaging "ideas" the most recent TRU 4-pack sets, the Target glass and figure sets, then they could produce the product we really want to see.

Kidhuman
03-18-2004, 10:16 PM
second, is I actually enjoy the hunt. there's nothing more satisfying than actually finding something on the pegs at a store. Granted I've been coming home empty handed quite a bit, but I seem to be able to catch up periodically as well.

You sound so much like me. I love the hunt. As many times as I get disappointed in not finding stuff, a day like today wipes it all away. Finding and catching up in one fell swoop feels great. Now, thatr I am not far behind anymore, I can handle some more rejection of empty pegs.

Darth Mina
03-18-2004, 11:52 PM
I gave up on WM TRU & Target long ago the last figure i found was the animated clone trooper, and from the regular saga was R1 way back on January 5th. what i realized was that instead of wasting time and gas (2.15 a gallon in Manhattan Beach) I'm ordering cases from EE that way I get what i want, and share with the other people in my area any of the figures that are repeats in the cases.

Darth Alex
03-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Another new week, another week gone by with nothing new found. No new cases, no restocks, just nothing.
I'm too angered to post this whole rant, but the gist is I have been politely calling Walmart-TRU-Target stores and their main HQ CS phone numbers and the gist is we've got a big problem here.
It seems that all 3 of these chains are no longer having orders filled at all by Hasbro. In fact, Walmart is having orders deleted in and around the Williamsport area because it is taking so long to fill....only to not have the orders filled.
What is going on? I love the thrill of the hunt, but if this keeps up I:

A Give up the hobby outta frustration
B Only by the OTC and EP3
C Continue to be Igor to Hasbro's Frankenstein

right now....I'm leaning toward B, and that's if I can find the waves.
Seriously, I have little faith that the online market is even getting regular case shipments in. This hobby has never been quite this bad.

Is it just me or have we hit bottom with the finds?

Kidhuman
03-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Where I live in comes in spurts. The last few times I found any figures, it was two or three waves at once. I end up having to stick them on Lay-a-way becuase I want em all, and never have an extra 50-80 dollars to blow like that.

Patience and timing. I harass the Wal-Mart people to scan the merch and tell me when shipments are coming in.