PDA

View Full Version : Jabba's Palace Court Denizens

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-14-2004, 12:06 PM
In case anyone doesn't have this set yet, toysrus.com has these in-stock now. I ordered it on Monday and it came on Friday (with regular shipping), which I think is pretty darn fast. here's my review, figure by figure.

B'omarr Monk
This is a pretty nice figure. I don't have the old one, but from pictures, the new one seems to use the same mold. There are some differences, though. His "body" and the underarm-claw are mostly black, with a bit of gray weathering which looks nice. The brain bowl uses the same painting trick as Jabba the Hutt's frog bowl to make it look like a liquid is in there. On this new version, it's red, unlike the blue on the old one. The giant beach ball-esque, which may or may not have even been in the film, is removable to please people on either side of the "debate." I guess his articulation is the same from 1997 - legs, claw, claw-arm.

Bubo
Finally, Jabba's frog-dog is here. He's the only one out of the bunch to include an accessory, which is a plastic chain (2002 Padmé's chain would've been nicer, but this is okay too) that connects to a semicircle sticking out of his back. He's wearing a non-removable harness-like thing so the chain can be connected. His sculpt is great, it looks just like him. The only difference between the figure and the character is the teeth, which have obviously been rounded off on the ends (but they're still okay). His jaw opens ans his legs move, but that's it. His painting may be a little off, but I can't tell. In the film, nearly everyone has a bluish tint to them while in Jabba's Palace. Bubo seemed really purple, but the figure is more of a tan-brown. He may be this color, but I don't know.

Wol Cabass'hite
This is the little guy who licks C-3PO while he's translating for Jabba (I think). His sculpt is nice, it looks a lot like the thing from the film. His tongue is permanently out, but it's not even perfectly straight, nor can it be moved a la the Nexu's tail, which would have helped. A suction cup is attached to his back so he can stick to surfaces like in the movie. He has some wart-crater things in his back so it looks like the suction cup is supposed to be a larger version of one of them. The suction cup works pretty well on flat surfaces, and is a little bigger than the one from the Mynock from 2003 Chewbacca Mynock Hunt. This figure is kinda small, a little smaller than Yoda or Ashla/Jempa/Chain.

Overall, this set is great. I hope we can get more sets like this in the future, maybe with cantina patrons. This is one of the better Ultra figures, like Jabba or the Wampa, and you won't feel screwed for paying ten or so bucks for this like General Rieekan. I give this set an A (which I do a lot, but this one is really good).

EDIT: Apparently little Wol's last name is inappropriate, so I added an apostrophe which isn't really in his name.

Kidhuman
03-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Good review JOhnJabbaL. I too love this set. I like Bubo, Wol, and the updated Monk. The seem to have done really good on the Ultras so far. I would give this set an A-.

plasticfetish
03-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, nice review JabbaJohnL. I agree, this is a really fun set. I was another one of those people that never got B'omarr Monk the first time around and I was happy to see it here. (No big rush to hunt the old one down on eBay now.) All 3 figures are a cool addition to my Jabba shelf. Wol Cabassh!te has been stuck on the front of a StarCase for days now... very fun!

jjreason
03-14-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm looking forward to getting this set as well as the new Jabba. With any luck we'll get the second wave of Ultra figures up here soon, the first ones appeared to sell pretty well. I have a couple of B'Omarr Monks, and am happy to hear there will be some variety in the ranks with this new one.

Kidhuman
03-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah, nice review JabbaJohnL. I agree, this is a really fun set. I was another one of those people that never got B'omarr Monk the first time around and I was happy to see it here. (No big rush to hunt the old one down on eBay now.) All 3 figures are a cool addition to my Jabba shelf. Wol Cabassh!te has been stuck on the front of a StarCase for days now... very fun!

I hadnt gotten the original Monk until a few months ago. I found it on ebay with Stormie Han/ Ghost Ben and 2 carded figs for 18 dollars. This monk is slightly better IMO.

Hellboy
03-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Yeah this is a really good set. I never got the old B'omarr either so I was quite excited about this one. Great value too, I'd love to see more Ultra 3 packs in the future.

Grade: A

bobafrett
03-15-2004, 11:21 PM
I just picked this set up the other day. I did get one of the mail away B'omarr's, but it is currently packed away getting ready for the move to it's new home. I was impressed that Hasbro made the two smaller creatures.

B'Omarr Monkey
03-20-2004, 09:29 PM
I like this set a bunch as well. Wol Cabas****e is one of those characters I never, never thought we'd see and I'm glad we have him/her/it. It also gives hope for all of those other blink and you miss them characters that we want.

Bubo is also nice, although he actually is purplish-grey over pink. I just checked the SW Encyclopedia which has a clear picture of him. So, for those of you concerned with accuracy, add him to your list of resculpts/repaints.

B'Omarr Monk is pretty much the same as the original except for the color of the "liquid" in the bowl. I actually prefer the blue. The ultra version has had some weathering added via paint to it which gives it more detail.

I think the biggest sucess of this set is that it is a fantastic way to give us some smaller, and less popular characters who would be unfit to be carded singly. This is the perfect way to give us say the lamproid and the dwarf in the red jump suit from the cantina packed with the Saurin he's sharing a joke with, or the less interesting LIN droid packed with the multiarmed WEd and either the RA-7 or CZ droid from the sandcrawler. It would also be a way to give us a nice podrace pilot assortment on one card.

B'Omarr Monkey
03-21-2004, 10:52 PM
The giant beach ball-esque, which may or may not have even been in the film, is removable to please people on either side of the "debate."

I just watched ROTJ again today and the beachball is definitely there. My guess is that those who say it isn't are basing that view on the photos which show the B'Omarr Monk before it was added.