PDA

View Full Version : Online gaming

CaptainSolo1138
03-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I've recently started playing PS2 online and boy am I disappointed. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 takes so long to play and is so boring online that it's not even worth the hour or so it takes to play nine holes. NHL 2004 is even worse. There are four different kinds of people who play that game online:

*The kid who quits when your up by two goals with a minute to play.

*The jerk who does nothing but talk smack and makes you watch his replays
to compensate for his apperant lack of self-esteem.

*The guy with a name like "IWillDestroyU" who has a 564-3 record and plays eight to ten hours a day and scores every single goal from three feet away in a sweet spot.

*And finally, the rare (by my estimation 40%) guy who is playing for fun, will tell you "Nice shot" or "Nice hit" and will send you a message afterwards telling you "Good game".

I think online gameplay is an awesome idea. Though I don't play it, it is my understanding that SOCOM is wonderful to play online. Not only is it a great game, but it's hard to "cheat" at a game involving more than button mashing. There is a strategy and team concept that is missing from a lot of other games.

On the other, hand I could be completly wrong. Maybe my experience online has been totally different from everybody elses. But I think the odds of that are rare.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
I've only tried online play a few times, usually with one of those older Lucasarts X-Wing/TIE Fighter games and it just didn't work.

My opinion is this, and tell me if it is unfounded because I'm assuming a lot here, most people you encounter are really into what ever system or game they have. They spend tons of time playing their favorite stuff and if you're just lukewarm about it they end up just wiping you out. I enjoy playing certain games, but I don't see myself being very competitive with regular on-line players and thus not having a fun time.

I remember half-life and being OK at it. I went online to play deathmatch even against supposed "beginner" or "intermediate" players and being trashed in the first minute.

I just don't enjoy it because of my past experiences. If it were a private game with friends or acquaintances then maybe I would because they would be more patient with my learning curve in the beginning. Buying XBox online would never happen in my house because I don't think I'd have much fun and it would be a waste of money for me.

Kidhuman
03-15-2004, 07:29 PM
I agree Man Can, I wont but PS2 online for thatsame reason. I dont know anyone who has it and I dont play it regularly enough to be awesome at it. I will just stick to deathmatchng BOTS and shooting in a regular one player game.

CaptainSolo1138
03-16-2004, 12:06 AM
You're about right ManCan. Between school, work, and posts here :p I don't exactly have the time, much less ambition, to become good enough at a video game to call myself "dominant". If thats what someone wants to do and sets that as their primary goal in life, more power to them. In fact, I wish that was all I had to do. My point is that their patheticness (I'm not an English major either, nor do I aspire to be) is shown every time they revel in another lop-sided victory against a casual player.

Rocketboy
03-16-2004, 10:09 PM
I've recently started playing PS2 online and boy am I disappointed. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 takes so long to play and is so boring online that it's not even worth the hour or so it takes to play nine holes. NHL 2004 is even worse. Then gimme back my game...;)

CaptainSolo1138
03-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Then gimme back my game...;)

Oh, God...not you. :D I'm pretty sure Rocketboy can atest to what I'm saying.

jjreason
03-18-2004, 01:56 AM
I'm actually looking forward to getting hooked up with my PS2. I haven't done it yet as we don't have highspeed internet at my house, but with FFXI on the horizon I might just splurge. My friends who game are all back in Ontario - more than 1/2 way across Canada from my current residence. I'm hoping to encourage them to get online as well so we can go back to playing sports against each other.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Wow, sorry you all had craptacular experiences...I loved playing online and my favorite game to play online was Quate II either CTF, FF or Rocket Arena...I had SO much fun and often forget what time it is and then doom myself to little sleep.

I started playing online when Duke Nukem came around, my old roommates and myself had our computers all networked together and we'd frag into the wee hours of the night, we also played the first Need for Speed game over the network...and my roommate's place of work had a T1 line so he'd play all the time at work....gosh, those were the good ol' days. We did all of this living on an Island in Washington too!

I used to be a queen at playing Quake II and joined several "clans" throughout the time I played. Sadly though, there's not too many people left playing it as there used to be, but I still catch a game now and again on "the zone" or "gamespy".

:Pirate:

CaptainSolo1138
04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
My online opinion has changed since I discovered the joys of SOCOM II! That game is so wicked awesome. Most people are there to have fun and, with rare exceptions, not ruin everyone else's good time.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-11-2004, 01:53 PM
My online opinion has changed since I discovered the joys of SOCOM II! That game is so wicked awesome. Most people are there to have fun and, with rare exceptions, not ruin everyone else's good time.

Good to hear because it can be a very fun hobby...I still find it amazing that we can even play online since I grew up pre-atari even. I know there are lots of people who play to be rude and boost their ego/low self-esteem, but use your jedi relaxation techniques and just enjoy the fun of blasting things to smithereens and not being arrested for it :D Poopoo on the people who use it to make themselves "look" good behind an anonymous setting :rolleyes:

This discussion has even made me pull out my old Half-life game (still a fantastic game after all these years) and start playing it single-player. What fun!!

chrisc
04-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Whats the best system to go online with??? Xbox or PS2

Deoxyribonucleic
04-13-2004, 12:50 AM
I use my PC, I've never owned a "box" besides my beloved PC and I find that I'm a major invalid when it comes to using the controls on the game boxes lol

So I don't know which is better...I would venture a guess and say Xbox, only because it's made by microsoft and they do know a little about gaming technology hehe

Kidhuman
04-13-2004, 06:10 AM
I dont go online with my PS2. Icouldnt tell you how it is. Ithink it would depend on the game not the system.

CaptainSolo1138
04-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Whats the best system to go online with??? Xbox or PS2
Never having played Xbox online, my opinion would be completly biased. A question fo anyone who has: Does Xbox have a "lag" to it? With some PS2 games, the lag is so horrible it sometimes makes the game unfair. For example, you could be trying to shoot someone a hundred yards away and in a second flat they're right next to you, killing you, because you're still looking for them way out there.

mrmiller
05-02-2004, 12:58 PM
I have both, and the Xbox is far better for online. It was made with online in mind, and is more powerfull to handle it. Plus the options and voice are better- but it should be better, since it's not free like PS2 online service.

I have always been a huge online gamer, and I love the Xbox online. Granted now most all PC games can incorporate voice, but the voice chat makes it so much better. Being able to coordinate attacks, relay information, or just have a casual chat is cool. The voice chat also has it's downside in that you get those 12 year old jerks that just like to sing or talk non-stop, or listen to them selves blurt out curses and call everone noobs.

I know gaming clans are looked down on by the casual gamer as some die-hard fanatics that only care about winning, but joining the right gaming clan can make a huge diference to the online experience. Just having a stable of friends to get to know and play with is cool. You get better because you learn your teammates play style, and it's more fun because you weed out all the "trash talking" and "idiots" you get in random games. That's the kind of clan I joined- one for friends not for total conquest.

Plus that's what's cool about Xbox live- you get a friends list you can use to find when the people you enjoy playing online with are on. It tells you what games they are in, you can invite them to your game or go to theirs, and even check it online on the Xbox live web site before powering up your Xbox to play.

The plus side to PS2 is they have all the EA games. EA does not support the Xbox live, as if it's going to be a pay service- they want their cut too. EA will still make and sel it's games on Xbox, but the onlin option is out and they only support PS2 online, which is a big deal as the EA staple of games (and good games at that) is huge.

Honestly, if it wasn't for online gaming, I wouldn't play near as much as I do. I mean, how many times can you play Ninja Gaian compared to CounterStrike? I guess my competetive edge keeps me interesed as well.

OK- off my rant. :D

=MATT=