PDA

View Full Version : What versions are the best R2 and C-3PO figures?

zlurp
03-15-2004, 03:03 AM
I've been collecting since the first POTF2 line, but I stopped collecting about a year ago. After seeing the improvements in the POTJ and Saga lines, I started collecting again. Now I'm catching back up with what I've missed. I only have the original POTF2 R2-D2 and C-3PO, and I'm wondering if these are the best versions out. Also, is it me, or are the figures in the Saga line smaller than the POTF2 figures? I'm wondering if there is a scaling issue between the older and newer lines. Thanks.

sith_killer_99
03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Best R2-D2 is the CommTech POTF R2-D2 with holo Leia.

Best C-3PO is the MMC also re-carded for the SAGA Hall of Fame line.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
03-15-2004, 11:11 AM
I agree about the R2-D2. The CT version is the best. As for C-3PO, that's one figure I just don't care that much about. The one with the removable arm is pretty good because it's not just the average do-nothing threepio figure plus it's not as loose as the POTF2 take-apart version.

Kidhuman
03-15-2004, 11:40 AM
R2 w holo Leia and 3po removeable limbs.

JediTricks
03-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Besides Holo Leia R2, I also like the dome on Ep 1 R2 (the one with the booster rockets). The permanently-3-legged R2 from POTJ (Naboo Escape) has been reissued in the Saga HOF line, he's pretty good if you don't mind the permanent 3rd leg. For all-around R2 though, I guess right now Jabba's Barge (aka Bar2-D2) is your best bet since he's currently shipping and has no crazy paint or gimmicks while retaining the retractable 3rd leg design.

3PO is pretty limited, removable limbs is good but very dirty; Millennium Minted Coin is fantastic and based off that previous figure but clean and non-removable limbs, he's currently reissued as mentioned above. Other than that, while I like Ultra 3PO (who also has removable limbs since he's from the limb-swapping Deluxe Ep 2 3PO/Battle Droid set), this one is not everybody's cup of tea, and POTF2 Flashback 3PO has a nice, different take on the paintjob, but his left shoulder doesn't rotate normally and the dirt paint is over the top.

LTBasker
03-15-2004, 07:11 PM
I'd say R2-D2 with Holo Leia, and the upcoming vintage tribute C-3PO figure. Supposedly it'll be the shiny vac-metal AND highly articulated. Sounds like the best choice to me! Looked good in the pic too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I think the best R2-D2 is the Jabba's Sail Barge version. He has nice articulation, a retractable third leg, a base, a great sculpt . . . oh yeah, plus a drink dispenser/tray or something. ;)

For C-3PO, I also say Millennium Minted Coin, who is also in the Hall of Fame series and the Original Trilogy Collection with a new base and no coin. There are some other nice ones too, it looks like the modern-vintage version will be great, but he's twice as much money.

About the scaling issue. Some of the figures are puny (Outland Peasant Digsguise Anakin, Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan, Hoth Evacuation Hoth Trooper, Ultra C-3PO), but on the whole they're the right size. Obi-Wan isn't very tall, and that is translated well into the figures (maybe too much on CC?). A lot of the older figures from 1995-1996 were too big for the line, but now they're the correct height when compared to each other (Chewbacca and Darth Vader, for example). But no, there seemed to be no intentional size change in the line.

El Chuxter
03-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Wasn't Obi-Wan downsized so his magnet could support him on the assassin droid?

Best Artoo: Holo Leia.

Best C-3PO: POTF2 Removable Limbs (and head! :beard: )

Dark Marble
03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
I think that the R2-D2 with holo Leia has been pretty well covered. I also like the Episode I version with booster rockets. My favorite C-3P0 is the one from the Purchase of the Droids 3 pack from POTF2. No gimmicks or anything, just a good 3P0, and also removable limbs and the coin version.

Hellboy
03-16-2004, 04:58 PM
IMHO

Best Artoo is the CTC version w/ Holo Leia

Best C-3PO is the MMC version.

TheDarthVader
03-16-2004, 06:37 PM
As mentioned, the best R2 is the FF R2 with holo Leia. The best C-3PO is the one with removeable limbs (and head-->as mentioned). The 2nd best C3PO is the coin one...now a repack Hall of Fame figure. Hope this helps.

B.

Kidhuman
03-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Mine has a CTC not a FF. :beard:

JediTricks
03-16-2004, 07:59 PM
KH, that's because there is no FF R2 Holo Leia, only Commtech like you said.

Chux, I don't believe that's the case with that Obi-Wan fig, he's in scale with the Anakin from that wave and his magnet strength (or lack thereof) came as a total surprise to Hasbro.

plasticfetish
03-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Hmmm...

Best R2 would be R2-D2 "Droid Factory Flight" ('cause it comes with some free string) and the best C-3PO would have to be the Just Toys BendEms version.

:crazed:

JediTricks
03-18-2004, 11:09 PM
No way, best 3PO is the green Super Deformed one! :D

plasticfetish
03-19-2004, 05:09 AM
Are you kidding? They really made a super deformed green C-3PO? Now that does win it. Did they make an "SD" vinyl cape Jawa also?

AmanaMatt
03-19-2004, 09:36 PM
The best C-3P0 out is the millennium mint one, absolutely. However, the pic of the Classic wave version (later this year) may change that.

As for R2, I'd say the Holo one. It is a bit small, but I really like it. The new Jabba Barge one is (IMO) an excellent clean version.

JediTricks
03-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Are you kidding? They really made a super deformed green C-3PO? Now that does win it. Did they make an "SD" vinyl cape Jawa also?
Green SD 3PO: http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=28609

I forgot about his arms not matching, take a look at the comparison pic, it's the last pic in the list.

plasticfetish
03-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh thoooose super deformed figures. I keep forgetting that they made those. I thought maybe it was some crazy Takara thing having to do with the green Japanese POTF 3PO.

Well now that I see how it was another weird and similar variation, I kind of wish that I'd picked one up. (Only kinda.)

JEDIpartner
03-25-2004, 11:32 AM
I can be on-board with the MMC (NOT Mickey Mouse Club) Threepio. I am glad that this one is getting a reissue.

I hope the Vintage one will be the best Threepio yet because I don't really think they've nailed him. They haven't nailed Artoo either so I am hoping that one will be good as well.

As far as the Artoos go... I like the CTC/Holo Leia one... but he's a bit too dirty and has the restraining bolt. I also like the Naboo Escape one... but the blue is TOO blue and not dark enough on that one. The Episode I Artoo is rather nice as well inspite of the wells on the torso where the booster rockets pop out. They should have left the rockets there for AOTC. I don't know why they put them in his legs... Oh, well.

Cheers.