PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm guessing the Archive editions where a hoax?:(

MASTER_JEDI
03-16-2004, 02:00 AM
I think I'm the only one upset about this, if it is indeed false. I went to the theaters as a child just like everyone else and fell in love with the SW universe, but more footage is always welcome imo, and loved the SE(Jedi Rocks aside)

There are some things I really think could use a update, such as...

Updated Death Star attack plans.

Vader's theme when we first see him..

Stormtroopers with Jango's voice(ya'll are going to stone me)

Vader meets Emperor before the meeting on the Death Star.

If it must be in the film, a NEW Jabba in the Han/Jabba scene in ANH.

Chewie gets a reward(now more then ever)

A bigger Hoth battle, with the Snowtroopers and Vader comming in on updated Republic Gunships(Impirial Gunships), much like how the troopers showed up at the arena:)

Corrected Emperor in ESB.

Jedi Rocks OUT.

But, they are coming to DVD this year, so this means the AE are really false?:(

Beast
03-16-2004, 02:27 AM
No, it doesn't mean that it's false. There will probably be a mega uber duber boxset of all 6 movies with some additions and stuff. But that won't be released until after 2005. And we don't know for certain that these will be the SE versions. There could be more tweaks. After all, it was revealed that Lucas did 100 digital tweeks to THX-1138 for it's upcoming release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
03-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Rick "yes sir" McCallum himself has said in an interview that there are plans for an Archival Edition.

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
03-16-2004, 10:12 AM
One big improvement though: MUSICAL

Kidhuman
03-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Lets hope the improvements are making them in the original way.

El Chuxter
03-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Also, John Williams has confirmed in a few interviews that he is looking forward to re-scoring at least ANH (if not the entire trilogy). He's said it always bothered him that he couldn't use the Imperial March in ANH since it didn't exist yet.

In other words, hang on to your SE soundtracks. Looks like they'll soon be as tough to replace as the SW Trilogy Soundtrack box set. :)

But maybe Max Rebo's jaunty "Ode to a Master Chef" will finally show up on CD.

MASTER_JEDI
03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Ohhh ok, that gives me a little hope then:).

scruffziller
03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Well another version to get on DVD, since I will have my original versions of the OT on DVD and the SE here in September. GL better tweek the heck out of it so it is worth the buy when it roles around.

Bosskman
03-19-2004, 10:01 AM
I just read over at Yakface's that it's pretty much confirmed that the DVD's will have additions to them. I just hope they fix DB94 Jabba and OLM Emperor.

plo koon 200
03-19-2004, 10:33 AM
I also heard on Digital bits that they are doing something that they did not do for the SE's. Apparently most of the sounds had been saved by Ben Burt for them and now all of them are being digitally re-entered. This will give us a sound experience unlike any before. I think the same will go for the soundtracks.

plo koon 200
03-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Oh, and many sources are confirming that there will be new scenes in this version and other tweaks.

El Chuxter
03-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Oh, and many sources are confirming that there will be new scenes in this version and other tweaks.

"And in other news, sales of bootleg DVD copies, which had dropped dramatically following Lucasfilm's announcement of 2004 DVD release, skyrocketed once again when word leaked that there would be further changes to the films for the official DVDs."

Beast
03-19-2004, 02:27 PM
News from The Digital Bits:

Yeah, we know this is going to get some people's undies in a bunch again... but we can say with some confidence now that when Lucasfilm and Fox release the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in September, the films ARE going to include new footage. We've confirmed "unofficially" with three separate sources, each in positions to know, that at least SOME new footage is being added to the films, and that more special effects enhancements, tweaks and fixes are being done. We're also told that Lucasfilm MAY include additional deleted scenes for the trilogy on the bonus disc, separate from the material added into the films themselves (rather like they've done with Episodes I & II). We've been told of at least a few changes that are being made, but we're going to wait to confirm them better before we post anything. Keep in mind that we have no idea how extensive or minor the whole of the additions and changes will be. Hopefully, we'll learn more from Lucasfilm in the near future. So, okay... we're now officially intrigued. We'll post more when we can.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Starbuck1966
06-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I hope the matte lines around the Rancor in Jedi are corrected. I would forgive Lucas for replacing Mark Hamill with a CGI Luke in that one scene if this were done. I'd like to hear a little bit of "Duel Of the Fates" added to Vader & Ben's duel in ANH. I always felt that scene was missing something. The lightsaber effects in that scene should also be corrected. I understand that they have been. The Greedo shooting first sequence has also been altered a bit. He still shoots first from what I understand. I still wish the Anchorhead scenes would be added. Maybe another actress could digitally replace Koo Stark(Camie) if Lucas still feels there could be any PR issues. Maybe in the Archival Edition.

scruffziller
06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
I'd like to hear a little bit of "Duel Of the Fates" added to Vader & Ben's duel in ANH.
Nah, it wasn't fast enough.

darthvyn
06-16-2004, 10:01 AM
if it were a slowed-down version of the song, i can see it working...

Rocketboy
06-16-2004, 11:28 AM
NO!
If there is anything other than minor effects tweaks (like lightsabers), I will be very upset.

El Chuxter
06-16-2004, 11:34 AM
I have a feeling that there hasn't been enough time to prepare all the changes Lucas wants for these Archival Editions for this DVD release, so I think changes will be minor.

I think the AEs, when they come out in a couple of years, will be practically unrecognizable as the three Star Wars films.

JON9000
06-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Deleted scenes! Anchorhead at last! I better not get my hopes up. I might be extremely disappointed

bigbarada
06-22-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm still pretty upset that Lucas is not even considering releasing the original theatrical releases on DVD. I'm seriously considering passing on this DVD set because of that fact.

In any case, I'll probably just burn my brother's copies of the widescreen THX versions onto DVD and call it a day. Sure they'll be lower quality but at least I'll be able to watch the films I grew up with without worrying about the tape degrading.

B_C
07-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Ok, how about this (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17592) for an addition then. Just scroll down the page.:eek:

JON9000
07-07-2004, 10:44 AM
I had the exact same sentiment as Harry when I found this one out. Why is Ben still old and Vader young? Makes no sense.

Beast
07-07-2004, 12:32 PM
I had the exact same sentiment as Harry when I found this one out. Why is Ben still old and Vader young? Makes no sense.
Makes sense to me, going by the news that is trickling out about the whys. Basically the Jedi Spirit is a light side only ability. It fits in with all of Obi-Wan's double talk about Darth Vader murdering Anakin Skywalker, and that the good man that was Anakin was destroyed. Supposedly the Jedi Spirit doesn't age in the dark side, even though the body does. There was a better version of this explaination in the DVD thread. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turambar
07-07-2004, 11:02 PM
So its kind of a Highlander thing. The age the jedi cease to be good jedi at is the age their spirit is. Old Ben, Old Yoda, since that's when they died and young Ani since that was when he was lost.
So it really sucks for the jedi that held true to the cause their whole lives since in repayment their ghosts have appear as old geezers to everyone for eternity while Anakin took the "easy" dark path right out of the gates and gets to be young and beautiful for all eternity.
Hmmm, makes sense, but it might send the wrong message to young up-and-coming jedi like Luke. "Yuck, if I remain a faithful jedi, I'll end up looking like Ben -- or even worse -- Yoda! My dad (even though that looks nothing like the guy I saw when I took the mask off of him) on the other hand went to the dark side and caused years and years of suffering and misery for the galaxy (although, in fairness, the longivity of the empire seems to be substantially fewer years than previous estimates since the prequels came out) and he looks none the worse for it! I'd be stupid not to follow his footsteps."

El Chuxter
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Okay, I'm not trying to just dredge up old threads for the fun of it, but has there been any word on these Archival Editions in the past few years?

Most of it was, admittedly, rumor. But Williams did say a few times that he was totally re-scoring ANH, and I can't imagine he made it up or Lucas paid him to do it just for the fun of it.

bigbarada
11-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Most of it was, admittedly, rumor. But Williams did say a few times that he was totally re-scoring ANH, and I can't imagine he made it up or Lucas paid him to do it just for the fun of it.

Why would he do that? So he could make it as generic and bland as the Ep2 and Ep3 soundtracks?

JediTricks
11-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I am pretty sure he's not rescoring the OT, and I believe Lucas is basically done with the saga for now, the only things left are the TV shows and high-def DVDs when one of the formats wins that war.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2007, 01:02 PM
There are still several small changes I'd like to see, mostly effects cleanup and whatnot, but I definitely would like to see the Imperial March added into ANH for one or two scenes. For music, I'd also like them to get rid of the tinny old crap used during the Fox/LFL logos in ANH and also clean up the rest of the soundtrack and score for that film. (There's probably a longer list around here, but my tastes change every so often.)

At any rate, I doubt that they'll do any more changes on regular DVD, but as JT said, wait until after the next-gen format wars are over.

General_Grievous
11-14-2007, 08:42 PM
The only thing I'd like to see is the inclusion of the Imperial March in ANH. Not a big score, but just to replace the "other" Vader theme from ANH.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-13-2007, 12:46 AM
I like that Imperial Attack theme at the beginning of ANH. It has some elements of what would become the Imperial March. I like the music that accompanies the escape from Tatooine while they are being pursued by Star Destroyers. The Imperial March was introduced when we saw the Imperial fleet with the Super Star Destroyer. It seems best suited for scenes with lots of troops or a large display of the Empire's might. So, I don't think there is a good scene in ANH where it really fits outside of the ones I mentioned, and I think the existing music works perfectly. I suppose you could add a light touch of it someplace when Vader is on screen, much like it is slipped into a scene with young Anakin on Tatooine in TPM, or the sparse notes playing it when he dies in ROTJ.