PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds - Redux!!

Beast
03-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Coolness. Spielburg and Cruise are plotting to do a big budget remake of 'War of the Worlds'. Hopefully this will work out. While remakes are often a bad idea, this one has been high on my list of wanted ones. The 1953 version will always be a classic. But with today's current level of special effects and a directing genius like Spielburg at the helm, I'm sure it will kick major tail at the box office. Here's the news. :)

Variety reports that Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise will bring The War of the Worlds to the big screen, with Cruise expected to star. Depending upon how long it takes to find a script that both could agree on, production could begin late 2005 on the sci-fi epic based on the classic H.G. Wells alien-invasion novel.

David Koepp ("Jurassic Park", "Mission Impossible", "Secret Window") will rewrite a Josh Friedman-penned first-draft script - the property was set up at Cruise-Wagner Productions and Paramount in May 2002, but with Spielberg involved expect Dreamworks to come aboard as a partner.

The famous tale of strange alien creatures in giant spaceships from Mars which attack Earth was first written in 1898 and previously made into a film in 1953, though its most famous adaptation was Orson Welles' radio play version in 1938 which caused public mass hysteria in the US when it aired and many listeners mistook it for a real broadcast about an actual invasion from another world.

Spielberg, Cruise, Paula Wagner, Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald are all expected to be involved in a producing capacity. With the fourth Indiana movie on hold, expect this to take precedence next year. Between now and then Spielberg is tipped to be helming the 19th-century drama The Rivals and Cruise gets to work on Mission Impossible III.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
03-17-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm not a real fan of remaking classic sci-fi movies but I'd be more accepting if they didn't really attempt to modernize it. I'd prefer to see it take place in the 50's or 60's before the days of cell phones, space exploration, computers, etc. Independance Day is basically the modern version of this movie. Having it take place during a time when technology and science/space knowledge was in the dark ages compared to our modern setting maintains the "fear of the unknown" or paranoia that was the driving force behind the story from the turn of the century. We know there isn't life on Mars but they didn't know that in 1900 or even 1950 for that matter. A modern time setting would have to acknowledge that we know of no life there and come up with some other outlandish reason to get aliens landing here.

War of the Worlds worked because not only did the threat come from space but it came from nearby space not some unknown/unseen planet. Perhaps directors can learn it's OK to make a retro remake of a movie or series.

darthzirock
03-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Spielberg and Cruise to do WAR OF THE WORLDS

Dateline: Wednesday, March 17, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL, News Editor
Source: Variety

Mars will invade Earth once again, but this time it will be documented by Steven Spielberg. The INDIANA JONES director will helm a new remake of H.G. Wells classic science fiction invasion story THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, with it looking very likely that Tom Cruise will star in the film.

Cruise's production company had first started working on a revised WAR movie two years ago. With Spielberg now onboard as director, the project will become a joint DreamWorks/Paramount co-production. Cruise and longtime business partner Paula Wagner will produce the movie, with Spielberg and DreamWorks execs Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald also likely to have a role.

Screenwriter David Koepp (SECRET WINDOW) is rewriting the latest draft turned in by Josh Friedman (SAHARA). According to the first reports from '02, the film is supposedly set in 1890s England just as Wells' novel is.

The two other major productions of WAR OF THE WORLDS were Orson Welles' October 1938 radio broadcast (which was believed to be authentic by some listeners) and George Pal's 1953 movie.

Well, Exhaust Port, there you go! It appears that it will retain the 1890s England setting of H.G. Wells' novel, which is fine by me. :D

sith_killer_99
03-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Tom Cruise?!?!? :rolleyes:

This had sooo much potential. :frus:

Maybe they just want an actor who is the same height as those little grey guys. :D

Exhaust Port
03-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Well, Exhaust Port, there you go! It appears that it will retain the 1890s England setting of H.G. Wells' novel, which is fine by me. :D
Awesome! Finally someone is listening to the voices in my head. :)

evenflow
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
As I was reading the post about this I was thinking to myself how much I would love to see the Day the Earth Stood Still redone, but then I thought again and thought it would not be as cool as the original. I am torn on re-makes. Not sur ehow i feel about it.

Exhaust Port
03-18-2004, 02:58 PM
The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi movies. I too have thought about that movie being redone but I can't see how it can be improved. All they could hope for is to recapture the quality of the original but what would that accomplish? They were suppose to redo Forbidden Planet but that seems to have died off and I'm glad. Just like TDTESS, Forbidden Planet is a timeless classic and their for wouldn't benefit from being remade.

Now if a director would like to make a modern version of either film that would be great just don't name it after the orginal or call it a sequel.

El Chuxter
03-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Wow! I was excited until I read one sentence in your post, JJB:

With the fourth Indiana movie on hold, expect this to take precedence next year.

WTH?!? When did this get put on hold? Everyone involved will be dead before this finally gets the greenlight. Or worse, really old. Imagine "Indiana Jones and the Lost Bedpan!" :eek:

Beast
03-18-2004, 03:16 PM
It's on hold, because Lucas didn't like the script that was delivered for the fourth film. So it's gone back to the re-write stage again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
03-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I dunno about Tom Cruise, but hopefully Will Smith won't be around to say stuff like, "Oh damn" or "You did not just shoot green death rays at me!"

JediTricks
03-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Tom Cruise?!?!? :rolleyes:

This had sooo much potential. :frus:

Maybe they just want an actor who is the same height as those little grey guys. :D
You just described pretty much how I felt, Cruise seems like the wrong note altogether.

I felt ID4 actually worked in its modern-day, popcorn film style. However, Mars Attacks, which barely feels modern-day at all, is nigh-unwatchable to me.

Remaking "Forbidden Planet" would be a huge mistake, it works on its looks and on its daring for the period, some of the motivations wouldn't even work in today's society I think.

evenflow
03-19-2004, 10:09 AM
It's on hold, because Lucas didn't like the script that was delivered for the fourth film. So it's gone back to the re-write stage again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Damn that sucks, i hope they speed up the process, Harrison isnt getting any younger.

darthvyn
03-19-2004, 07:00 PM
I felt ID4 actually worked in its modern-day, popcorn film style. However, Mars Attacks, which barely feels modern-day at all, is nigh-unwatchable to me.

i felt the exact opposite... that mars attacks was funny for all the right reasons, while ID4 was laughable for all the wrong ones...

i recently listened to the whole original radio drama "war of the worlds" - it was really cool! hopefully they can pull this off...

jeddah
03-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Can't wait to hear Cruise's English accent. What a hoot! :rolleyes:

jeddah

plo koon 200
03-22-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm actually excited about this film.

Beast
08-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Sounds like there won't be as long of a wait for the movie to be made after all. Spielburg and Cruise have both decided that this movie will take precedence over their original plans for their next pictures. Here's the news from Variety. Sounds like they're going to rush film it, so it will be ready for 2005. Probably a holiday release. :)

If you're a fan of sequels, you'll be disappointed but if you love remakes then today is your lucky day. Variety reports that following 48 hours of frenzied negotiations, the planned Tom Cruise-starring, Steven Spielberg-directed redux of HG Wells' famous alien invasion story "The War of the Worlds" has been shoved onto a very fast track, with only 10 weeks of pre-production scheduled before the film goes into shooting later this year.

As a result of "War" being moved up though, the previous major projects of both names have been put on the backburner. Spielberg's 1972 Munich Olympics terrorist project has been pushed back to a shooting start in June 2005 at the earliest, whilst Paramount's "Mission: Impossible 3" with newly hired J.J. Abrams set to direct, has postponed going into production until next summer. Thus both films which had been facing very public crew and rewrite problems, are unlikely to surface onscreens til 2006 - allowing plenty more time for them to be worked on.

DreamWorks and Paramount, the studios behind the now delayed films respectively, are co-financing "War of the Worlds" which is expected to cost around or over $100 million and that's wih both Cruise and Spielberg opting out of fees in favour of a share of the gross. "War" is now on track for a November start date and a 2005 release.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-13-2004, 11:15 PM
At least this will save us or at least delay us from MI3.

Please don't crap this up.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 04:04 PM
The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi movies. I too have thought about that movie being redone but I can't see how it can be improved. All they could hope for is to recapture the quality of the original but what would that accomplish?

I love TDTEST, too ! I'm a new fan of the picture, having recently acquired the DVD ($7.50 @ Wal-Mart :D ).

What a fantastic movie and I agree what it would not do very well as a remake.

Quite frankly, if they did a faithful remake I believe general audiences would be bored by it. :( The original is LOADED with non-scifi shots and non-scifi themes so would it even be considered by a modern crowd ?

Any remake would have to change Gort and have him go on a flesh grinding rampage. ;)