PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Legends RPG!!

Beast
03-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Wow, I'm not much of a gamer. In fact I don't even own a game system at the moment. But I'm actually hyped for this one. It may actually make me breakdown and buy a PS2, XBox, or Game Cube. Just because it's such an ingenious idea. An RPG game set in the X-Men Universe that's expected to be released 10/5/2004. So far what I have heard and seen, it looks very promising. Especially in the graphics and gameplay areas. :)

You'll be able to pick a 'team' of four X-Men characters, from around 16 choices. Not all of them are locked in so far, but so far the list appears to be as follows. The original 5, of course. Beast (yay), Angel, Cyclops, Marvel Girl/Jean Grey, and Iceman. As well as Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Forge, Psylocke, Marrow, and more. Plus it sounds like up to four people can play simultaniously. Each controlling one character. Plus Colossus and Wolverine can perform the Fastball Special. Sweet.

It appears that most of the designs for the game will be in the 'Ultimate X-Men' style. But there have been pictures of the original team members in the 'New X-Men' style as well. So it could be likely that there will be a choice between Ultimate and New style for several of the characters. Which sounds pretty damn cool. Here's some links to news, pictures, and video from the upcoming game. So, what you guys think? :)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/xmenlegends/index.html
http://xbox.ign.com/objects/499/499594.html
http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/499/499594/imgs_1.html
http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/499/499594/vids_1.html?fromint=1

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
03-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Marrow? Marrow?!? MARROW?!? That piece of crap, and no spunky teenaged mutant sporting a yellow trenchcoat? What a joke!

Of course, maybe I can console myself by pointing out the obvious: if Jubilee was a playable character, families everywhere would get into huge fights over who gets to play as her and who has to be Wolverine.

Beast
03-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Jubilee could be one of the playable characters. She's just not been announced. There's going to be between 16-17 pickabale characters. And so far they've only confirmed 13 of them. So have no fear, I can see Jubilee being a possible choice. As well as hopefully Shadowcat. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
03-17-2004, 02:25 PM
That would be cool. As long as there's some good balance of powers to justify each character, so simply "Dude, Jubilee is the coolest!" isn't a reason to pick someone.

Beast would obviously be strength and agility.

Archangel would have flight (and a healing factor, and special power to woo underage girls, if they stick with the recent issues of Uncanny).

Cyclops is simply projectile power, but a powerful one.

Jean would be likely the most powerful, with just about every ability. I can't think of any way to realistically limit her.

Iceman is projectile (hopefully the ability to freeze opponents in their tracks), and possibly bridge-building.

Wolvie should be the most powerful fighter, with the healing factor handled same way as in Wolverine's Revenge.

Storm would be almost as powerful as Jean, though with less control over projectiles (lightning).

Colossus, duh. The strongest and most durable, but slowest and least agile.

Gambit would be agility, along with a slow-charging but powerful projectile ability. Not very strong in close quarters, though.

Nightcrawler would have agility and teleportation, but probably not much else to compensate for the incredible power of teleportation. That's normally how games go. :)

Forge. . . uh, projectiles by way of his honkin' huge plasma gun? Otherwise how useless would his power be?

Psylocke would be a great fighter with limited telekinesis (however they want to handle that).

Jubilee would have impeccable fashion sense that makes villains ogle her kickin' trenchcoat and stop in their tracks so her sidekick Wolvie can deal with them. Oh, and slightly above average agility, low-level projectiles, excellent speed, and very low strength.

Shadowcat's power of intangibility would be one of the more useful, but her other attributes would be very low.

Rogue (not listed, but seems obvious) would be another serious powerhouse, with flight, strength, and durability, but likely slow and with limited fighting ability. They'd almost have to keep her nasty touch-power out of the game.

But what could Marrow add? The power to suck? The power to get to a special ending sequence that's just Professor X laughing at you and calling you a lame loser? I'd rather have Spyke from Evolution thrown in the mix! At least he's cool.

jjreason
03-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Marrow does seem like an odd choice on first reading this, but the more I think about it - the more I can see her allure to video game designers. Who wouldn't want the challenge of animating a bony looking girl pulling loose bones out of different parts of her body and throwing them a bad guys? It suits the video game medium very well - much more interesting than having one of the other characters throw knives or shuriken or what have you.

I like the idea of this game, and will eagerly anticipate renting it upon release. We've needed a good playable X-Men adventure game since the X-Men 2 came out on Genesis.

Beast
05-11-2004, 07:46 PM
The E3 2004 Game Trailer is up for download now, and it sure does look kick arse. With all the time that's been put into this game, lets hope it's as good as the previews make it look. :)

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_xmen_lg_e3_2k4.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
05-11-2004, 08:21 PM
I hope this doesn't turn out to be a mediocre RPG with a flashy X-Men image slapped on.

Hellboy
05-11-2004, 09:18 PM
We've needed a good playable X-Men adventure game since the X-Men 2 came out on Genesis.

Man I loved that game. My favorite character has always been Nightcrawler and in this game he was a blast to play with his teleporting abilities. :D

I'm really looking forward to this game but unfortunately very few comic books have made the transition to video games with much success. :neutral:

A KOTOR style (real time battles rather than turn based) X-Men RPG would be ideal.

QLD
05-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Pretty interesting, and a very cool concept!

Beast
05-17-2004, 05:41 PM
The Official X-Men Legends website is up now. And it gives us a few more reveals of the line up. Though oddly enough, Forge and Beast seem to be missing from those early lists. Maybe they just don't have room for them in the top bar at the moment. The 15 characters in the upper bar are:

Wolverine, Rogue, Cyclops, Colossus, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Havok, Psylocke, Thunderbird, Banshee, Shadowcat, Storm, Iceman, Marrow, Gambit.

http://www.x-men-legends.com

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
05-18-2004, 08:08 AM
I went to the website and there are only 5 characters up. It look cool though.

Beast
05-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Yeah, there's only five characters up. But if you right click and select properties in each little window, it will give the name of the character that is going to go there. I really hope they haven't dumped Angel and Beast just because their powers aren't super intresting or have cool visual aspects. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-21-2004, 01:17 PM
They're still tweaking the list of the final 15 playable characters. Beast is back in, which is good news for me. And the other fans of the bouncing blue guy. :)

So far confirmed are Wolverine, Cyclops, Colossus, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Storm, Iceman, Gambit, Beast, Forge, Psylocke, and possibly Marrow. 12 of 15. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
07-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Forge is confirmed? That's awesome! I might be the only person who likes the character, but imagine the possibilities of his powers in a game.

So Jean's confirmed. . . . hmmmm. Makes you think she ain't going to stay dead in the comics. Again.

I could do without Marrow. She's a piece of poo. But not cool like Mr Hankey.

Angel should be a definite, as should Beast. Both have cool powers and are fan favorites. I'd think one of the cooler "second stringers" could lend some cool abilities to the game: Shadowcat, Banshee, Jubilee, Strong Guy, Maddrox, etc. . . .

Beast
07-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Well, the game is using Ultimate X-Men as the primary design influence. And Jean is still alive there. As for Jean staying dead in the 616 Universe, it will never happen. She's supposed to come back to tie into X-3, but now who knows if that will ever happen. Especially with X-3 in limbo due to losing Singer to Superman. :)

Shadowcat is out, totally. They said they briefly considered her, but she'd break any game map they designed with her powers. She doesn't work for a video game, so it seems that she's one of the few silouttes that ended up being red herrings.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Well, looks like we pretty much have the full line-up now. Follow the link at the bottom to see character designs and the pictures of some of their moves in action. Suprised a bit by the inclusion of Emma Frost and Jubilee.

1: Wolverine
2: Storm
3: Cyclops
4: Marvel Girl
5: Colossus
6: Nightcrawler
7: Gambit
8: Magma
9: Iceman
10: Beast
11: Emma Frost
12: Rogue
13: Jubilee - (*Senses El Chuxter Implode*)
14: Psylocke
15: (Unknown) - Probably Havok or Angel

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/xmenlegends/preview_6089097-2.html?tag=gs__flashtop_story

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
08-31-2004, 12:05 PM
BOOM! :D

But seriously, why include Magma and the Jubilatrix? Their powers are similar, and they're both teenaged girls. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, especially with no Forge.

jjreason
09-01-2004, 01:23 AM
You should be able to play as Angel. He's an original member for Crikey - and Havok isn't too far behind. I can see some powers being harder to adapt to certain game environments though. Shame about Katya not being included. With any luck many more characters will show up as contacts throughout the adventure.

Beast
09-21-2004, 10:33 PM
They finally revealed the 15th character, which is a bit of a shocker.

Professor Charles Xavier. :eek:

Sorta sucks that Angel and Havok got shafted, hopefully they at least appear in cameos in game like Forge will. Dunno how playing as X will work, but should be neat. :)

http://www.x-men-legends.com/archives/professorx/index.php?prev=6

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Thats an interesting choice. I am intrigued.

Hellboy
09-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Has anyone seen the new commercial for this game? Talk about sweet.

It starts out with a couple of guys who have pulled to the side of a road to capture an enormous tornado tearing up the countryside with their camcorder. You then see something falling from the sky and as the guy who is being filmed moves away from the falling object you notice they're frozen pieces of a Sentinel. As they crash to the ground ice and metal fly everywhere nearly missing the onlookers, obviously Storm's handiwork. What follows is a bunch of CG shots of the X-Men battling the Sentinels that look amazing but unfortunately no in-game shots.

Reefer Shark
09-29-2004, 06:42 PM
That sounds cool. Video game commercials have really stepped up lately. The Fable, and Battlefront commercials are great too!

Hellboy
10-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Sooo . . . anybody pick this game up yet? I'm thinking about trading in some old games and getting it myself but was hoping somebody would post some feedback as to whether it turned out good or not. :ermm:

Hellboy
10-16-2004, 03:12 PM
If anyone is interested I gave X-Men Legends a try the other day with the intention of buying it and man does this game blow! :(

First off the graphics are pretty weak and look more like a Super Nintendo game than something off a next generation console. Initially I was concerned about this considering they went with a top-down camera angle but remained optimistic that the environments and effects would be something special, not so. I will admit what I saw of the cut scenes were really cool and it actually seems they put a bit of effort into the story but this does little to save the weak gameplay elements. Another thing I noticed is just how few RPG elements are present here. This game actually plays more like an action title than an RPG and reminds me a lot of Gauntlet only with the ability to switch characters on the fly.

Way to much repetition and pointless button mashing for my tastes but who knows maybe some of you will enjoy it simply because it has the X-Men in it. I'd just recommend to those who are entertaining the idea of a purchase to give the game a test run first like I did, it could save you $50. As a multiplayer game I could see giving this a rental but as a single player adventure I'd say it's just one more bad videogame based off of great comic book charcters. :(

James Boba Fettfield
10-16-2004, 08:37 PM
That sucks. RPGs, when done correctly, can give a lot of fun hours of gameplay. It sucks that this could possibly be a subpar RPG with x-men graphics applied to it.

Oh well, at least I'll always have Dragon Warrior 1-7 (soon to be 8) to satisfy the RPG desires.

kool-aid killer
12-30-2004, 06:04 PM
I got this game for Christmas and i enjoy it. But keep in mind this is the first RPG ive ever played, so my expectations could be low compared to those who have played many of them. I like how your able to choose your team and switch amongst them depending upon who all your facing. Some enemies have a tolerance for physical pain so an X-man with an energy attack (such as Cyclops or Storm) is your best bet for them, whereas others handle energy attacks better so a heavy hitter like Wolvie and Rouge are needed. I just completed the flashback level where the original X-men (minus Archangel and in their old school uniforms) attempt to stop Juggernaut from trashing the mansion. So far i find this game to be very enjoyable.