PDA

View Full Version : Chappelle's Show

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Does anyone else watch this show? I think it is one of the funniest shows on TV. It's pretty offensive, to everyone, but it's all in good fun. Some of my favorite sketches are Li'l Jon, oh my god now my sister and I laugh our heads off whenever we har his song!!! It's on Comedy Central Wednesdays and sometimes on Saturdays, but not this past week for some reason. Unfortunately when it's on Saturday, it's the same time as Mad TV and SNL, so I always switch between the three. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah, i watch this show religiously. I must say that it's probably the funniest show on TV right now, if not in years. I think a lot of the sketches are pretty risky and that makes them hella funnier. I'm also in college now and i can safely say that, "WHAT?!" "OK!!!" and "YEAH!!" have taken over "hello!" and whatnot while roaming around town on the weekends. I can't wait for season 2 on DVD! cheers! :D

kool-aid killer
03-21-2004, 03:49 PM
I watch it quite often too. I think the funniest segments are Charlie Murphys true hollywood stories. The Rick James one was hilarious. "Im Rick James, .....!" The Lil John ones are funny too. WHAT??? I cant think of one segment that didnt have me laughing. SNL and MadTV are lame compared to Show.

JediTricks
03-21-2004, 05:13 PM
I've been watching the show since day 1, it's really funny. There are some bits that feel really hackneyed, and a few that are just being carryed by old cheap stereotypes, but there are a lot of brilliant moments as well that challenge and make fun of "old cheap stereotypes". The Lil Jon gag was funny once, when he did it the second time in that ep I felt like he was milking it but it still had laughs, but then he brought it back twice more and it seemed derivative (read: Mad TV, SNL ;)) even though both bits actually did have something original to each. Charlie Murphy's 2 major stories were pretty funny, I was surprised they carried entire eps. The "I Know Black People" gameshow was funny too, I was dying when the Korean grocer dude guessed what Bookman on Good Times did without ever seeing the show.

The one thing I don't really care all that much for is the musical bits at the end, they're played too straight, and though it is commendable to see different flavors from what you'd normally get on most commercial radio & TV, it's kinda a flat note to end almost every show.

scruffziller
03-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Fer Shizzle................:D

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-21-2004, 09:32 PM
The one thing I don't really care all that much for is the musical bits at the end, they're played too straight, and though it is commendable to see different flavors from what you'd normally get on most commercial radio & TV, it's kinda a flat note to end almost every show.

I agree, it's kinda flat to end the show with the music bits. I love the Lil John skits as well. It cracks me up when he begins to talk in a civilized tone, then all of a sudden burst out in "Yyyyyyyyyyyyyea!" My fav skits thus far for Chappelle's Show have to be Samuel Jackson Beer and Blackzilla.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-22-2004, 11:39 AM
I forgot the internet sketch.
"Hey Dave, I have a secret to tell you . . .
Want to increase size of your p****?"
Oh man that was so funny, and so true. I love the Prince episode of Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories. "That's game . . . blouses." :D

"Goodbye fried rice, hello fried chicken!"

JediTricks
03-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Blackzilla, that's going WAAAAY back to like the 3rd ep. Another season 1 bit I really liked was Dave living his life as if it were GTA:Vice City.

The internet mall bit was really funny, Ron Jeremy was a great surprise addition, even if he is a media slut. ;)

bobafrett
03-22-2004, 11:00 PM
I love Charlie Murphys true hollywood stories. Man that has to be the funniest stuff I have ever seen. Rick James looks all messed up, but it's great. I nearly wet myself watching that episode. Did anyone see the skit where Oprah called and said she was pregnant with Dave's child, and Dave goes in and quits his job at comedy central, then uses Oprah's money until the child is born and he finds it's not his kid. Now that is good stuff!!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-24-2004, 12:13 PM
I love Charlie Murphys true hollywood stories. Man that has to be the funniest stuff I have ever seen. Rick James looks all messed up, but it's great. I nearly wet myself watching that episode. Did anyone see the skit where Oprah called and said she was pregnant with Dave's child, and Dave goes in and quits his job at comedy central, then uses Oprah's money until the child is born and he finds it's not his kid. Now that is good stuff!!!!!
Yeah, it looked exactly like Dr. Phil. :D

"Steadman, we gonna get that b****." :crazed:
And he wasn't even really painting that naked girl, oh my god that was funny.

I also liked the courtroom when he was defending all the black people, and he kept peeing on the people. :D:D:D:D

QLD
03-24-2004, 02:53 PM
I love this show.

The Charlie Murphy stories with Rick James has to be the funniest one yet.

I also liked the Black White Supremacist from the first season.

I also feel that the music is taking up valuable sketch time, especially in a 30 minute show. Of course, I never liked having music on my comedy shows anyway.

JediTricks
03-24-2004, 05:04 PM
I also liked the Black White Supremacist from the first season. Oh man, that is another really inspired one. When that one guy's head explodes, I almost soiled myself! :D

I also feel that the music is taking up valuable sketch time, especially in a 30 minute show. Of course, I never liked having music on my comedy shows anyway.Absolutely agree! Music bits are straight out of old variety show corn, alongside jugglers and contortionists, which itself is just a throwback to vaudeville. The only time they work is when they tie into a sketch, like Chappelle's recent "White folks CAN dance, but..." sketch (really a short film).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-24-2004, 10:04 PM
"Cocaine is one h . . l of a drug."

I just about laughed everytime they replayed that Rick James quote.

Chapelle is one funny guy and he while he does the push the envelope with racism and vulgarity, I think he is cutting-edge and refreshing.

You can always win my laughter on poo-poo and pee humor, so that is why I liked last week's episode where he talks about how R. Kelly was innocent and how peeing can be digitally inserted into video. To prove his point, he whizzed all over the prosecutor, saying "See. Did I just do that?"

The one sketch of the family of whose name I will not mention for it is a racist word (it ain't a stretch to think of it, because they say the word about 85 times per episode) was full of irony and tummy-tickling humor.

Season 1 is on DVD, my brother got it for our birthday, and we have had much joy watching the different episodes, our favorite being Clayton Biggs, the "black white supremacist."

Rocketboy
03-24-2004, 11:33 PM
"What did the five fingers say to the face?"
"SLAP!"

Best show on T.V.!
My favorite.
I watch the season 1 DVDs all the time.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-25-2004, 12:19 AM
You can always win my laughter on poo-poo and pee humor, so that is why I liked last week's episode where he talks about how R. Kelly was innocent and how peeing can be digitally inserted into video. To prove his point, he whizzed all over the prosecutor, saying "See. Did I just do that?"

Holy crap!! That skit was HILARIOUS!!! When the prosecutor asked him what it would take for him to believe the video and he said, "I'd need to see R. Kelly, the girl with two forms of government ID, 4 of my friends and (whomever) taking notes and R. Kelly's Grandmother" i nearly lost it. When she was holding up the ID's while still getting rained on and then the granny said, "That's my robert; always peeing on people!!" I lost it and laughed hysterically.

I got the season 1 DVD's yesterday; i love the Clayton Biggs one and i especially love the Jedi Scandal one. "Get high, do you?" lol I cannot wait for season 2 on DVD! cheers!! :D

2-1B
03-25-2004, 02:55 AM
I need to get these DVDs. The Clayton Biggs sketch is one of the funniest damn things I have ever seen. Absolutely tear inspiring. :D

Hey, my mind is a bit foggy right now, but am I correct in remembering a sketch similar to the Real World in which that white college guy's girlfriend comes for a visit and ends up "getting together" with the guy's roommate ? Oh man, that was ridiculously funny.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Last night's episode was pretty good, but nasty as hell. I liked the puppets the best. :D

Gonorrhea: "Hey Dave Chappelle, I haven't seen you for a while."

I nearly lost it when the puppet pulled down his pants and the girl barfed. That was gross, but funny.

Rocketboy
03-25-2004, 12:29 PM
I need to get these DVDs. The Clayton Biggs sketch is one of the funniest damn things I have ever seen. Absolutely tear inspiring. :DYes you do!

Hey, my mind is a bit foggy right now, but am I correct in remembering a sketch similar to the Real World in which that white college guy's girlfriend comes for a visit and ends up "getting together" with the guy's roommate ? Oh man, that was ridiculously funny.Yeah, that was "The Mad Real World" where Dave wondered what it would be like if they stuck one white person in a group of six black people, instead of the other way around. Hilarious!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-25-2004, 05:03 PM
I love the Jedi Scandal one. "Get high, do you?" lol I cannot wait for season 2 on DVD! cheers!! :D

(In best Yoda voice) "Good blow this is. H**ny it makes me." :eek:

Scandalous indeed.

CaptainSolo1138
03-25-2004, 08:44 PM
"F**K yo couch, Eddie Murphy. F**K yo couch!"

kool-aid killer
03-26-2004, 11:15 AM
LOL!!! That part was hilarious. I couldnt stop laughing and even when i think about it i began to laugh out loud. Just the mental image of him scraping his boots against the couch and cursing out loud is too funny.

I like the "When keeping it real goes wrong" segments too. The one with the corporate guy who ended up working at the gas station was funny. "WU-TANG!"

Rocketboy
03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I've probably seen the Rick James episode 5 times by now and I laugh just as hard as I did the first time.
There are so parts that really get me:
When Rick James pops up and punches Charlie Murphy in the forehead.
When Charlie kicks Rick across the room.
"Darkness!"
"F- your couch, n- ! F- your couch!"
"What did the five fingers say to the face?"

JediTricks
03-26-2004, 07:28 PM
That puppet bit was too much! I was dying when Dave came out with a puppet voiced by Snoop. Snoop's musical bit afterwards was almost incomprehensible though. ;) Hell, I can't even remember what the previous sketches were.

2-1B
03-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Snoop spent too much time in the "green room." ;)

bobafrett
03-28-2004, 08:38 AM

He also did an R. Kelly video to one of R. Kelly's songs. I don't remember which one it was, but it went something like "I want to pee on you".

scruffziller
03-28-2004, 10:00 AM
One of the best fall down funny moments has got to be Dave partying at Oprah's house wearing that goofy looking hooded sweatshirt with the sunglasses built in, and singing karoke of "The Jeffersons" theme with his Japanese guests.:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-28-2004, 11:59 AM
I got to see the puppet episode again last night. :D

"That's okay, I don't need you, honey.
Cause I beat my **** like it owes me money!" :crazed:
"Time for a ***** sandwich."
Something, then "or your **** will be smokin'."

Oh man that was classic. :p

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-28-2004, 09:59 PM
I strongly recommend buying the DVD for Season 1. I've seen a lot of stuff that I don't remember seeing on the original show, stuff that is just too controversial or distasteful for television. The regular sketches are unedited and you can hear all the swears :sur: and stuff.

BF, I do remember the R. Kelley video (not the infamous one :D ) in where Dave mimics peeing on people. Dang hilarious!

My new favorite expression, which I can credit the show with, is "squeezing off some hot butt mud." :)

2-1B
03-29-2004, 01:44 AM
Pretty popular DVD set considering it's been out for a MONTH already. :crazed: I tried to buy it on Saturday but all five stores I checked were sold out. :(
Disgusted, I just decided to order online . . . well, DeepDiscountDVD is currently out of stock as well. :crazed:
Meh, I placed an order so I'll just wait it out some more. :)

kool-aid killer
03-29-2004, 09:39 AM
My new favorite expression, which I can credit the show with, is "squeezing off some hot butt mud." :)

I find myself saying "F--- yo couch, F--- yo couch!!!" at school and work nowadays. A stupid thought will cross my mind and all of a sudden im there moving my legs and saying it.

The puppet bit was hilarious. Charlie Murphys puppet (the trash can one) was the funniest one there.

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 12:08 AM
The trash can puppet was really funny! While it was going, I was dying, but then that Snoop puppet came on and my brain locked up. ;)

Guys, please watch the language in here, unlike the show, we aren't TV-MA.

JediTricks
04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Oh man! Last night's episode was SOOOOOOOOO damn funny, I thought I was going to wet myself from laughing so hard, especially after South Park's hilariously gruesome ending. The Wayne Brady beginning was funny, Joe Rogan doing the Fear Factor one was entertaining, a little long but I laughed, and then it just got hilarious. The part with Dave getting his show back from Wayne showing us the flashback of their night together was so damn funny, Wayne Brady was surprisingly effective playing himself secretly a thug, and when the ho thanks Dave for keeping Wayne Brady from choking her out and Dave yells "run, b**ch, run for your life!!!" I was crying with laughter. The whole segment was so funny I watched it twice! This ep is going to be very hard to top.

QLD
04-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm Wayne Brady B****!!!!!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-08-2004, 09:56 PM
It was a nice little way to break the perception that people have of Wayne Brady, by making him a gangster thug. The premise was that since ABC cancelled the Wayne Brady show, that Wayne has lost it with his "goody-goody image." So he was showing Dave Chapelle, who lampooned him earlier in the season, what he truly was. My favorite parts from last nights episode are when Wayne went to the group of prostitutes to hustle out some money, and when the cop pulled them over and Dave sang the bit from his coffee creamer commercial. "Hey, my mother-in-law just loves you."

kool-aid killer
04-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Wayne Brady as a G was funny. I liked this episode much more than last weeks. Now we need to see another one of Charlie Murphys true Hollywood stories. Those are a riot.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey, i just saw on Comedycentral.com that there is going to be a mini Chappelle Show marathon tonight starting at 9pm. I'll be watching these for sure. :)

I also loved this weeks as well. I nearly wet myself when they stopped to get money from Wayne Brady's, uh, "women" and Chappelle yells, "Run B----, Run!!! Save yourself!!!" That was too funny!! Cheers! :D

kool-aid killer
04-15-2004, 08:11 PM
So what did you guys think of last nights episode? I thought the civil rights skit was funny. I didnt mind the Lil Jon part either, i found it humorous when i heard the real Lil Jon speak quietly, im so used to hearing him hollering on a song. I skipped on the Outkast performance at the end, not like i cant turn on the radio and hear one of their songs spinning.

JediTricks
04-15-2004, 09:38 PM
I thought the civil rights one was funny, but it started strong enough that I thought it would have worked better if they played it more straight, less of the "caca doodoo" 3rd-grader jokes and sticking more to the theme.

The Lil John one actually cracked me up, it felt like a good way to END that bit for good (hint hint ;)).

The Black Bush one was sorta funny, but it seemed a little slapped-together, could have been written tighter.

I also fast-forwarded past the musical performance at the end.

All in all, it wasn't as good as last week's, but it was entertaining.

El Chuxter
04-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Dayum! I just started watching this last week (with the "Best of Season 2 Part 1 Except Rick James" episode). That Wayne Brady bit is the funniest thing I think I've ever seen in a skit comedy show, beating even stalwarts like Homie D Clown and Toonces the Driving Cat.

"What's this? Mister Franklin is lonely. No, don't sorry me. Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b****?"

JON9000
06-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I just saw this for the first time the other day (finally have cable). It was the Rick James episode. That was too funny. I've been going around all week saying "I'm Rick James *****!" :crazed:

scruffziller
08-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Dave is 31 today.

JediTricks
08-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Wow, I'm only a couple years younger and him getting $50mil at 30 makes my 29 years on this planet feel like a total waste. ;) :p

Hopefully season 3 will be good.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Season Three is on hiatus. After signing a Comedy Central record $50 million two-year deal a few months back, Chapelle's season premier, originally intended for May 31st, has been postponed indefinitely. No official reason has been given, but he isn't showing up for scheduled shooting. There are all sorts of rumors to why he isn't coming including Dave becoming frustrated with the creative differences between him and the network, the fact that he is on drugs and needs help, or is he has been overwhelmed with all the success that he has faced the last two years and can't handle it.

Hope that Dave comes to his senses, whatever his problems may be, and realizes that his fans miss the show and want to see him back.

Rocketboy
05-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Oh, that just sucks.

kool-aid killer
05-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Here i was eagerly anticipating it this month and now this news. I think the least Comedy Central can do is to ship out the season 2 DVD, after all the waiting it would help ease the time until we see new episodes.

Kidhuman
05-11-2005, 12:59 AM
I saw this today at work. Posted it on our comps. I couldnt believe it when I saw it. Oh well, heres to hoping it all works out.

gsr-jedi
05-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Oh man, that sucks. Season 3 on the 31st was gonna be the only good thing starting this month, what with the season finale of Gilmore Girls and of course ROTS.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Just saw this news item an hour ago. Seems that Dave has checked himself into a mental rehabilitation clinic in South Africa. Read all about here.

Chapelle checks in . . . (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tv_chappelle_suspended)

megaprime33
05-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Just saw this news item an hour ago. Seems that Dave has checked himself into a mental rehabilitation clinic in South Africa. Read all about here.

Chapelle checks in . . . (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tv_chappelle_suspended)
Yeah you beat me to it, I heard about this on the Stern show this morning. I've never seen his show before so I can't say whether or not it's any good, but I've seen his stand up and he's histerical. Hope he's ok.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Dang, I hope he's okay. He's probably the funniest comedian today and I would hate to see him go away.

Tonysmo
05-15-2005, 01:26 AM
be sure to check out time.com sunday morning.. Drudge had a blip on him being S. Africa but not for what we all think.. no drugs n such.. so, hopefully he justed needed to get away for a bit..

anyhoo.. should be an article posted on time.com today sometime..

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-15-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1061418,00.html

Holy balls, it's 7 pages long! Well, it seems like he's doing okay, so that's good. I must read on.

kool-aid killer
05-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Fubar! Im not a Time magazine subscriber so im out in the dark with this. Anybody read it all yet? If so please drop in some useful tidbits of information concerning Dave and his mindset right now.

James Boba Fettfield
05-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Dave is fine. He is not in a mental hospital. He is staying with a friend in South Africa and he is not :crazed:

kool-aid killer
05-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I just seen a commercial on SpikeTV promoting the second season DVD, saying its coming out on the 24th. Im hoping its true, i will be very upset if its just a goof up.

JimJamBonds
05-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Season 2 is still set to come out tomorrow as far as I know. Orginally it was going to come out eariler in the year but when the start of season 3 was pushed back so was the release of season 2.

Jim Jam

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Looks like Dave is starting to get back to work with taping the rest of Season 3 . . . although nothing is official.

<<Dave Chappelle is apparently ready to get back to business.

The comedian met with Comedy Central President Doug Herzog Friday in Los Angeles for the first time since flying the coop for the South African "spiritual retreat" that effectively forced production on the third season of Chappelle's Show to shut down indefinitely.

Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox did not reveal any details of the meeting, including when--or if--Chappelle would return to the network.

However, under the terms of the $50 million contract Chappelle signed last summer, he's supposedly locked into a production deal with the network through 2006.

Last month, Herzog said he did not expect Chappelle's Show to return to Comedy Central this year. The third season of the show was to have premiered on May 31. >>

kool-aid killer
06-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Ive got my season 2 DVD, i could care less now. "They shoulda neva given you [explicit word] money!"

JimJamBonds
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Looks like Dave is starting to get back to work with taping the rest of Season 3 . . . although nothing is official.

<<Dave Chappelle is apparently ready to get back to business.

The comedian met with Comedy Central President Doug Herzog Friday in Los Angeles for the first time since flying the coop for the South African "spiritual retreat" that effectively forced production on the third season of Chappelle's Show to shut down indefinitely.

Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox did not reveal any details of the meeting, including when--or if--Chappelle would return to the network.

However, under the terms of the $50 million contract Chappelle signed last summer, he's supposedly locked into a production deal with the network through 2006.

Last month, Herzog said he did not expect Chappelle's Show to return to Comedy Central this year. The third season of the show was to have premiered on May 31. >>

SWEET! Apparently before Dave went AWOL they had already shot about 5 episodes worth of "skits" ;) but none of the audience stuff. Hopefully we'll get something this fall!

Mesa berry berry happy!

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Hopefully Ashy Larry will soon get a chance to return to the World Series of Dice.

hango fett
06-10-2005, 08:32 AM
they need to hurry up! this show and south park are what makes comedy central. that and reno 911.
HF

JediTricks
06-10-2005, 06:25 PM
It's already been over a year since the last new ep of the show, I've given up on seeing another one, even if they do crank out another series it's too likely that it'll be weaker than the first and second seasons (I'd still watch probably tho').

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I really miss this show. Seeing old episodes reminds me of how great it is, though.

"It's JAMES! The n***er-hatin' dolphin!" :D

JimJamBonds
06-11-2005, 01:46 PM
It's already been over a year since the last new ep of the show, I've given up on seeing another one, even if they do crank out another series it's too likely that it'll be weaker than the first and second seasons (I'd still watch probably tho').

WOW isn't that giving up kinda quick there? I doubt another season will be "cranked out" since they were half way done with filming before Dave left for Africa and also Dave is said to be picky about the show always wanting to top what has been done prior.

Jim Jam

JediTricks
06-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Kinda quick?!? It's been 14 months since anything new, even if they don't have a complete season they could have put out a couple new eps to tide us over - most shows shoot only a few weeks prior to airing and shoot as the season progresses, even South Park with its chinzty 7 episode-seasons does it that way - but instead they leave us hanging for an entire year on a half-hour skit comedy show. Not 1 measily 22-minute episode! Hell, you cut in one of those boring music segments and now we're talking 17 minutes of actual show, there have been some shows out there that cranked out that much every DAY yet we haven't been given that much in over a YEAR.

JimJamBonds
06-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Season's I and II established that there is some time between new shows unlike a standard show's last episode in May and new stuff that fall. I look at Chappelle's Show like Deadwood, The Soprano's and other short run tv shows. I'd like to see 20ish episodes a season but by keeping the volume down each show is more solid. There were several delays which has pushed back us seeing season III. Would I like to see some of the new stuff already shot? Of course I would, but I'd rather wait and see 13 or so weeks of new episodes then see a few episodes and be teased then have to wait for the second half of the season to be filmed. Lets say there never is a Chappelle's Show again I would hope to see the stuff already worked on put out on a dvd, unless that happens I can wait for the rest of the mateial to be filmed.

Jim Jam

JediTricks
06-13-2005, 01:21 AM
The last ep of Chappelle's Show season 1 was April '03, not counting any of the "mixtape" eps, the first ep of Chappelle's Show season 2 was January '04. Meanwhile, the last ep of Chappelle's show season 2, again not counting "mixtapes", was in mid-April '04 and January '05 was half a year ago, and we STILL have no idea if or when we'll see another new episode. I find that extremely frustrating. I can handle the "short season order" of 13 eps, Chappelle's Show is hardly original there, but it's been 14 months with the only news right now being "maybe sometime in the future or perhaps never, but at least we're talking".

BTW, Slicker's current sig+'tar is too funny, made especially grand because it's not just another recycling of the most popular catch phrase from the scene. :D

JimJamBonds
06-13-2005, 10:42 AM
After I posted I realised I should have dug into when the last episode of I was and the first of II, I didn't realise they were that close. I think we are on the same side here JT, we both like the show and would LOVE to see new stuff. It is disturbing its been so long since we've seen new shows and its such and unknown as to when or IF there will ever be new material for us to enjoy.

Also good call with Slicker's sig + tar great stuff I chuckle everytime I see it! lol

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-13-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't think that a delay in production automatically means that the show will be weaker when it returns.

Slicker
06-13-2005, 07:27 PM
BTW, Slicker's current sig+'tar is too funny, made especially grand because it's not just another recycling of the most popular catch phrase from the scene. :DIt's my little way of saying "Hurry the hell up." Doubtful it'll work but who knows. I just hope he doesn't sell out and try to be funny instead of just letting his natural humor come out.

"If I had 2 more hands I'd give those ti***es 4 thumbs down"

2-1B
06-14-2005, 12:47 AM
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

JediTricks
06-14-2005, 04:15 PM
You are right JimJam, I think the show is creative and smart, I'm just frustrated and have low expectations in the face of vast uncertainty.

I don't think that a delay in production automatically means that the show will be weaker when it returns.That's true, it doesn't automatically mean it, but it often has happened that way with other shows, they lose writers or they get off their footing or the helmers just become different people with the passage of time.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2005, 11:18 PM
You are right JimJam, I think the show is creative and smart, I'm just frustrated and have low expectations in the face of vast uncertainty.

That's true, it doesn't automatically mean it, but it often has happened that way with other shows, they lose writers or they get off their footing or the helmers just become different people with the passage of time.

Well here's hoping you are wrong JT and its an outstanding and soon to be aired season 3! ;)

Jim Jam

Fluke Skywalker
06-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I live in Dayton, Ohio. Dave lives with his family in a small community just outside of town. According to this morning's Dayton Daily News, he did a suprise stand up spot of new material at comedy club downtown called 'Wileys' last night. The article went on to say that he seemed to be in good spirits and signed autograph's et. after the show. No word on returning to his show.

Also in town was Bruce Campbell of 'Evil dead' and more fame. Screened his latest movie at a theater that is no more than a stone's throw away from where Dave did his stand up. Sounds like quite a night downtown for those lucky enough to be there.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
I just bought season two last weekend and have been laughing my arse off.

Can you believe in the three years that the show has premiered only twenty-five episodes have been filmed (and 1 of those episodes was an outtakes show)? How difficult is it to come up with more, especially considering the show is only 1/2 hour long with 4-5 minutes of that some musical filler.

I also appreciate the bonus material included in the package.

JimJamBonds
07-19-2005, 10:56 PM
You are correct LBC that the total number of shows is low, however keep in mind the amount of shows per season. Its along the same lines as Deadwood, Sex in the City and all the other HBO/Showtime shows. Low number of shows but the trade off is higher quality. You have to give that to them, I mean how easy is it to come up with some of the golden bits they've done?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Charlie Murphy was quoted in this week's T.V. guide as saying that he thinks Chappelle's Show is kaput :cry:

JimJamBonds
07-31-2005, 10:31 PM
Man that sucks if thats true. :frus: I really hope it isn't and if it is...well maybe we could at least get the 'skits' already shot.:frus: :cry:

CaptainSolo1138
08-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, according to CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/03/tv.chappelle.sshow.ap/index.html) and Charlie Murphy it looks like one of the best shows on TV in the past five years is over. Man, that blows. :cry:

JimJamBonds
12-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Comedy Central will show what was filmed this past year, it will be "about four episodes worth." :thumbsup:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=208802

UKWildcat
12-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Sweet... Four is better than none! :yes:

JimJamBonds
12-06-2005, 09:35 AM
My thought exactly! :yes:

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Dave Chappelle won't be involved with them, no intros from him. Rumor has it this is a move to get Chappelle back to the bargaining table, but I think it's just a last-gasp move to keep the series viable for CC to rerun for the next year.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-06-2005, 08:58 PM
I thought the rumor was that six or seven episodes were filmed already for the new season. Oh, well at least we are seeing them. CC was the most lucrative show in the history of the channel, so it is no surprise that they are milking it for all that it's worth.

Wonder if we can see signs of Dave's "stress" somewhere in these episodes?

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 09:31 PM
He says that he didn't leave over stress, he left due to the direction the show was taking, I believe meaning the way it was starting to be written and controlled by the network but I'm not totally sure.

JimJamBonds
12-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Dave Chappelle won't be involved with them, no intros from him. Rumor has it this is a move to get Chappelle back to the bargaining table, but I think it's just a last-gasp move to keep the series viable for CC to rerun for the next year.

No big deal to me, since Dave isn't coming back they could roll out Charlie Murphy or another cast member to do the intro w/out a audience. I think CC is doing this so they can get some money out of what was shot this year and I'm sure it will show up on dvd at some point as well.

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Honestly, Charlie Murphy ain't all that talented IMO.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2005, 05:43 PM
They won't really make as much sense without Dave's introductions, but it'll still be great to see them!

I really hope he returns to the show soon.

CaptainSolo1138
01-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Anyone seen the trailer (http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1654806/) for the new "season" yet? Pretty funny stuff.

Rocketboy
01-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Good stuff. Too bad it won't be a full season.

Slicker
02-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Apparently it was stress that caused him to leave.

Here's the Yahoo! story. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060203/ap_on_en_tv/winfrey_chappelle)

He says that it's possible for him to come back and finish the 3rd and 4th seasons. Let's hope upon hope that he does.

JimJamBonds
02-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Here is THE real reason...........

http://www.chappelletheory.com/index.html

About 15 min. worth of reading but its pretty good.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Apparently it was stress that caused him to leave.

Good, at least we know it wasn't smack.

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2006, 06:37 PM
July 25th is when you will be able to see the unfinished third season material on DVD...all 68 minutes of it.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5738

UKWildcat
05-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I'll rent this but there is no way I would drop around $28 for it. It's not worth more than $10.

Rocketboy
05-27-2006, 11:08 PM
That's cool, but I don't see it selling for more than $15 its first week.

JimJamBonds
05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
$28 is more then I paid for either of the COMPLETE seasons. :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Entertainment Weekly says that Comedy Central will air the three episodes starting June 9, and they'll be introduced by Charlie Murphy and Donnell Rawlings. Thankfully now I won't have to get that disgustingly high-priced DVD.

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, there you have it, that's the end of Chappelle's Show and all future negotiations.

Rocketboy
06-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I really didn't think it would be back anyway.

JimJamBonds
07-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Anybody else see the first 'lost' ep. of Chappelle's Show? While it had its moments I didn't think it was all that great, granted its bits from here and there thrown together, I hope the other 2 are better.

UKWildcat
07-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Yea, I checked it out JJB. I wasn't very impressed either but I did get a kick out of that last skit when that DJ is playing Tupac at the club. lol

2-1B
07-09-2006, 11:36 PM
I missed it, I'll probably wait for the DVD...unless I happen across one of its 38 repeat showings. lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I gotta admit, that Tupac bit had me giggling.

kool-aid killer
07-10-2006, 12:14 AM
I thought it was really poor, i didnt find any segment to be hilarious. I'll watch to see how the others turn out, but if i were to judge them by this one im not expecting much out of them.

JimJamBonds
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah the DeucePac bit was great! I also liked the 'revenge' skit as well.

JediTricks
07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Wow, you guys are cold-hearted, there was almost nothing I *didn't* find funny in that. I think Dave was right when he said no matter how good it is, everybody will always say it's not as good as last season. The only part that didn't work was the rap songs as CNN, that one needed better setup, delivery, and another ending - it still had funny stuff though. I watched most of it and felt like "how could Dave walk away from this? This is good stuff, expressive and funny and fresh, how could he not see past all the side-crap and just do more of this?"

JON9000
07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
You had to have listened to "Enter the 36 Chambers" by Wu-Tang to get some of that stuff.

JediTricks
07-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I got the premise which was enough I felt, I just didn't think the execution completely worked on its own, it was short, static, no interaction, no secondary follow-up story or anything, it felt unfinished to me.

JimJamBonds
07-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Wow, you guys are cold-hearted, there was almost nothing I *didn't* find funny in that. I think Dave was right when he said no matter how good it is, everybody will always say it's not as good as last season. The only part that didn't work was the rap songs as CNN, that one needed better setup, delivery, and another ending - it still had funny stuff though. I watched most of it and felt like "how could Dave walk away from this? This is good stuff, expressive and funny and fresh, how could he not see past all the side-crap and just do more of this?"

I thought it was good stuff BUT the thing is all those bits were put together to make a 30 min. show. For example we got two "Dave is super rich" bits which I don't think would have happened in one show had there been an entire season. Also there wasn't a "long" skit rather it was a bunch of short skits. Again I think that was due to the fact it was put together with what footage was already shot.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 03:51 PM
The length of the sketches felt fine to me, I'd rather have short ones that have REAL endings than long ones that simply peter out (as so many sketches often do, not just Chappelle's Show but all the sketch comedy series) - of course, a good long sketch that has a real ending is probably best, but can't have it all.

As for the 2 "I'm rich!" sketches, I think they were meant to be part of the first ep, the whole thing was a big deal to Chappelle and this is how he wanted to deal with the hype, get it out of the way first while the question was weighing heavily on the audience's mind. But we'll never really know I suppose.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Thought I posted here before, but maybe not . . .

I thought it was fantastic. It was classic Chappelle; exactly what I was looking for.

Some of Donnell Rawlings' hamming-it-up was a little annoying, though, and it seemed like his and Charlie Murphy's intros weren't scripted as well as they could have been. But, whatever; the skits were great.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
The pixie sketch in the second episode DID go too far, I think. The Hispanic and white pixies weren't too bad but the black and Asian ones went too far and weren't really making any social commentary. When Dave was responding to his own pixie, you could kind of tell that he was already disgusted with himself for doing that bit; it seemed more "real" than acting. I liked that they addressed that Dave disliked these sketches instead of ignoring it.

I thought the Howard Dean bit was pretty good, but it would've been better if it was aired closer to the original incident (as was originally planned, of course).

JediTricks
07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I thought this was a weak ep, nothing really delivered, and Dave was right, that pixie sketch was not a jab at racial stereotypes, but simply using them as the comedy. This isn't the first time they've been guilty of it on the show either, it's like Mencia in that regard, where they don't really try to understand what is in another race's head, they just fall back on cheap obvious stereotypes for the humor or even the statement - that's not making fun of the use of stereotypes at all. I thought the black pixie at least had a point to make though, that some in the black community were living up to negative stereotypes - minstreling and shuckin & jiving - so when he did that bit with the Cribs one I thought there was going to be some real humor AND some biting commentary, but instead it quickly faded into cheap stupid racist jokes that had nothing to say except "stereotypes!" I've known black people who avoid fried chicken and watermelon specifically because of the stereotypes.

kool-aid killer
07-25-2006, 08:48 AM
I was thumbing through the Best Buy ad that comes in my Sunday newspaper and seen that this 3rd season was going to be out on DVD today. Im passing, i havent found any of the skits to be hilarious plus i dont know what other content, if any, is included in the dvd.

JON9000
07-31-2006, 05:00 PM
I thought the racial pixie sketch was the funniest thing I've seen since Rick James. I have no problem with the message of the skit, and I have no problem with the pixies being ridiculous caricatures of odious caricatures. The black face pixie causes considerably more discomfort than the others, though. The others were silly, but the black face is considerably more sinister in my mind, based on our history. I remember my initial reaction when he popped up was, "oh no!"

The ones that were funniest to me were the Asian pixie and the latino pixie. Although, maybe the latino one was the worst, because every other race tells their pixie to go to hell, but the latino guy is reduced to calling his el diablo and running out of the store.

The one thing I appreciated about the show is that it wasn't afraid to discuss stereotypes and crack on everybody and make fun of them, because it seems to me that America often wants to pretend that racism is a thing of the past now that the Jim Crow era is over.

Slicker
07-31-2006, 05:16 PM
I
crack on everybody That's the one reason why I loved the show. Unlike Martin Lawrence, Chris Rock, and D.L. Hughley, Chappelle made fun of black people (possibly even moreso) than white people. I'm as white as white can be but I love hearin' a good white person joke.

Now, back to the racial pixies. I watched it the other day for the first time and I cried. The Asian was the funniest. "Herro, Rara"

Rocketboy
08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
"Byaaaaa!"

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I thought the minstrel pixie bit at least was saying something, that black people today still feel they have to cope with the negative stigma of the last 200 years of cheap stereotypes. The other pixie bits were simply cashing in their jokes off cheap stereotypes without saying anything about them except "here's a cheap stereotype... that's the joke".

The latino guy's reaction was funny, I had forgotten that he runs out of the store, that was pretty good, it just wasn't saying anything.

Kidhuman
08-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Stated on oprah according ot the article below, he would come back with some changes made to his contract...

http://spring.newsvine.com/_news/2006/08/22/336041-chappelle-ill-come-back-with-a-few-conditions

JimJamBonds
08-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Interesting, although as the article says it best "I think this ship has sailed."

JediTricks
08-23-2006, 02:47 PM
That Oprah interview cited was from February before the final negotiation breakdown and Comedy Central aired the "lost episodes".