View Full Version : Teebo New From Hasbro

ACPin
12-12-2001, 12:23 PM
Hasbro has just announced Teebo, the warrior Ewok. Click for the pic

http://starwars.hasbro.com/content_images/Teebo.jpg

:D

Starfig873
12-12-2001, 12:30 PM
Oh wow! Is that real? Looks like Hasbro did a very, very sweet job on this figure! :D

Beast
12-12-2001, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Starfig873
Oh wow! Is that real? Looks like Hasbro did a very, very sweet job on this figure! :D

Hasbro: "Teebo is a new sculpt that is articulated at the head, shoulders, thighs and wrists. He comes with an authentic battle headdress and horn and spear accessory."

Agreed, a very nice job. A nice new sculpt even, no re-used Ewok body. And WOW! articulated at the wrists!! Great job Hasbro. The face looks great, can't wait for this one. Wish it was another 2-pack of Ewok's, but atleast they did the figure justice. To bad if they are gonna re-use a Ewok body for the TRU exclusive AT-ST, they didn't use this one.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
12-12-2001, 12:51 PM
That's the most beautiful Ewok figure I've ever seen. It's the action figure equivalent of the guitar solo from GNR's November Rain. :happy:

Jargo
12-12-2001, 01:16 PM
EE CHEE WA MAA - YUBNUB!!!!!!!! YUN YUM DI GOOT!

My word this is lovely indeed. Obviously the paint deco will suffer slightly in production but the sculpting is par excellence. the cowl is just spot on and the face has that great half sneer that shows it can be no other Ewok but Teebo. Nice pose too. Finally they got an Ewok sculpt right so it looks like a ferocious little beasty and not a cartoon teddy bear like Wicket and Logray. Even Paploo seems to have the teddy quality despite being sculpted for the better detailed POTJ line. Maybe they will improve Paploo before he sees production.... But this is great. Are there more pictures or just the one? A close up face shot would be nice to see. :):D

bigbarada
12-12-2001, 01:58 PM
Great job, Hasbro!!! :D :D :D :D :D

mylow thehutt
12-12-2001, 03:21 PM
:D

Wow! thats too sweet,talk about realscan baby.this ewok is mine him and the other two dudes that are in the line,Bo-Shek,& R4-M9. Hasbro I bow down to you.:greedy:

Fulit
12-12-2001, 04:03 PM
Makes Wicket and Logray look like a pile of puke.

mylow thehutt
12-12-2001, 04:45 PM
:crazed: you said it Fulit.:D

Turbowars
12-12-2001, 07:23 PM
All I have to say is, It's about time. Keep up the good work Hasbro!! Bring on the CLASSIC'S!! Don't even think about another Jar Jar, George's biggest mistake.

Wolfwood319
12-12-2001, 07:37 PM
Its ok I guess.:rolleyes:

This is the best looking figure I've seen in a very very long time. This wave is shaping up quite nicely. I look forward to seeing R4.

hamsterboy
12-13-2001, 01:40 AM
Not too shabby. Hope all the other figures start looking like this.

Beast
12-13-2001, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
All I have to say is, It's about time. Keep up the good work Hasbro!! Bring on the CLASSIC'S!! Don't even think about another Jar Jar, George's biggest mistake.

Youssa gotten some problemo within' gungan? Atleast he doesnt have 10-15 figures each like Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. Every basic Jar Jar figure has been quite nice infact, well...after the first one. Hasbro's first E1 figures were pretty bad. But, the swimming one was great, and so was the POTJ one with tounge. Excellent figures!

By the way, we are getting atleast 1 more Jar Jar figure, Senator Jar Jar from Episode II! Whooo Hooo, can't wait. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

CrunchyNug
12-13-2001, 05:17 AM
WOW is right!!! Now this looks more like one of the little guys who helped save the Universe. It kinda looks like his cute little face is getting swallowed by a huge pig. Hats off to Hasbro on this one. POTJ figures have definitely been stepping it up. I can't wait to see what they do for Ep II. :D

GNT
12-13-2001, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
thats too sweet,talk about realscan baby.

I dont believe realscan was used on him,It looks ok :)

jedi master sal
12-13-2001, 09:43 AM
fantastic job, now only if it works on human figs. More ewoks though please.

Starfig873
12-13-2001, 12:35 PM
Oh I don't know, I think they've been doing a pretty good job with humans recently...

Hm, I hope this means many many more Ewoks to come. I won't rest until I get a mama Ewok with baby ;) :D

Princess_Leila
12-13-2001, 03:40 PM
I have to admt that I was a bit shocked when I saw the picture, because the hat is so different from the vintage version, but after checking some pics from the film, I have to say that the new version is more accurate.

This figure is nothing short of spectacular. BY FAR my most wanted figure at this point. Now where is my CARDED Chief Chirpa?

It's a real shame that Paploo had to go the pack-in way. That bike should come with a new Biker scout, not Paploo. A Paploo with a non removable hat is not a real Paploo! Anyway, it's the only one that we'll ever get, so we have to deal with that.

I actually wish that Wicket would be resculpted also. he REALLY is too big, and doesn't look like he does in the film. Plus, if they redid wicket, Paploo woul no longer look like a Wicket resculpt! LOL! I won't be satisfied until I get at least THREE new CARDED Ewoks.

mylow thehutt
12-13-2001, 04:35 PM
:eek: wow!! you mean hasbro did this all on there own,no way.Well no excueses hasbro this proves it, ep2 will come in like a lion and and leave like a rancor.:crazed:

Tycho
12-13-2001, 10:27 PM
Beeecha-Waawa! Gunda! Dangar Ewoks!!!

GNT
12-13-2001, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Princess_Leila
It's a real shame that Paploo had to go the pack-in way. That bike should come with a new Biker scout, not Paploo. A Paploo with a non removable hat is not a real Paploo! Anyway, it's the only one that we'll ever get, so we have to deal with that.I

You do remember the scene where the ewok takes the Speeder Bike,right?Its about time an Ewok comes with a speeder bike :)

JediTricks
12-14-2001, 12:12 AM
Wow, zippidy ding-dong, another Ewok figure. :zzz: Granted, it's a well-done Ewok, but... uh... well... this is the 5th Ewok figure to come down the pike since '95 not counting that Wicket with Leia Collection Leia Endor and I still don't care too much about them.

Tycho
12-14-2001, 03:59 AM
I care that:

1) Hasbro not witness any more negativity towards Ewoks from fans so that all 8 vintage are at least reproduced with modern versions;

2) Hasbro has done an extra detailed job on Teebo with added articulation to definitely add value to a figure some people are still bound to say "It's just an Ewok" about;

3) If Teebo is popular, a carded version of Paploo (played by Kenny Baker a.k.a. R2D2) will be made in as nice detail as Teebo (incidently played by Jack Purvis - Chief Jawa, Chief Ugnaught)

4) Chief Chirpa, Romba, Warrick, and Lumat get made in such detail;

5) 2 more Ewoks are made: specifically a mother with baby Wokling for people making village dioramas with their Jedi Spirit figures etc., and a fierce looking Ewok warrior who guarded Leia when Han and Luke were still going to be cooked for dinner. He wore the skull of a four-eyed beasty he'd slain, and looked darn cool. This guy could have beaten a stormtrooper senseless going for it in a one-on-one brawl!

evenflow
12-15-2001, 12:43 PM
Best Ewok yet, very nice work. :happy:

Darth Rage
12-16-2001, 02:17 AM
He looks cool! Yeah its better then using the same sculp like they did with wicket and that ewok with the glider thing.

Jargo
12-18-2001, 05:38 PM
Is it just me or does Hasbro seem to be giving us this figure grudgingly? it seems a little grouchy and truculent the way they say;

"Teebo™
Announcing Teebo, the warrior Ewok that collectors have been asking to see for years. Teebo is one of the leaders of the Ewok tribe that befriended Princess Leia Organa and the Alliance strike team on Endor’s forest moon in Return of the Jedi. Teebo is a new sculpt that is articulated at the head, shoulders, thighs and wrists. He comes with an authentic battle headdress and horn and spear accessory. Teebo’s distinguishing stripes set him apart from the other Ewoks. "

I don't know, I guess the writer of the article wasn't happy about the release of an Ewok.

"You wouldn't let it lie Vic, you wouldn't let it lie...!":crazed:

Wolfwood319
12-18-2001, 05:55 PM
Why couldn't they have at least thrown in the Papaloo (from the upcoming AT-ST) and make this a 2-pack like the other one.

It just seems to me that one ewok on a card isn't enough these days.

Tycho
12-18-2001, 07:10 PM
1) [to Emperor Jargo] - I don't read any hesitation on Hasbro's part in that text. It is all in your head. On the other hand, our (adult) collectors' negativity toward Ewoks is what persuaded them not to make these characters earlier. Which also leads us into:
Why doesn't Hasbro give us Ewoks 2 per package (or a cinema scene)???

1) Relates to above: if they spend a lot of money making quality Ewoks above and beyond even Wicket and Logray, and they don't sell once they hit the retail market (yeah right...but still 'IF') then Hasbro would have lost more money trying to satisfy us.

2) Teebo is superior to even POTF2 Wicket and Logray, with added wrist articulation (more molds and pieces) included in the package. A choice for quality or quantity was made in favor of quality. (maybe Romba, Lumat, and Warrick do not require as much detail as an Ewok played by 3 Film Veteran Jack Purvis, but I was impressed with the effort Hasbro has been making to add value to background characters such as the Bespin Security Guard).

3) I'm sure there is some formula that dictates how much Hasbro expects on a return after outlaying for the costs of

a) sculpting - how many pieces and how much articulation?

b) painting - including how much two-tones, and multi-coats for detail and even the weapon/ accessories' painting.

c) how many, how detailed are the accessories

d) what costs are associated with packaging? (will Teebo be on a generic blue card or a specially printed POTJ card?)

That brings up the question: should Star Wars figures be priced accordingly for a set return margin per each individual figure?

The Deluxe Line is trying to accomplish this a little bit, but say you have a 3 3/4" R2-A6, which is just a green painted R2D2, put on a generic card, and Zam Wessel (a completely new sculpt) also put on a generic card. Should R2-A6 be $3.99 and Zam Wessel with full-on articulation be $6.99? Wouldn't it drive retailers nuts if they shipped in the same case? Retailers wouldn't want to spend their employees' limited work time individually pricing Star Wars figures out of the same case assortment.

So instead we have a $6.99 line and a $10.99 line and Hasbro is shipping them in general cases (basic and deluxe) while trying to give us the value for the figure (or divided amongst all figures in the assortment). In the Deluxe, Luke Bacta has much more effort delved into him than Darth Maul (at first glance for sure). So we have to hope Hasbro gives us a fair deal on our Deluxe Line and not only has a minimal revenue target for themselves or their retailers, but also has a maximum cost goal they try to invest in those figures for us (versus say making General Madine a deluxe figure with no added value accessory).

So back to Ewoks, making 2 per basic figure assortment package with as much detail as Teebo must exceed their costs. (or we'd hope).

But they did a 2-pack in '98!

Which brings us to point number

4) Hasbro was at an all-time high-profit margin for Star Wars after 1997 (the Special Editions) and again, if they equated their marginal costs with marginal revenues base on the CASE and not the figure, the Wicket / Logray case shipped with Biggs Darklighter (a low cost - easy to make figure) and Lak Sivrak who by himself was a great sculpt but a basic paint job was all that he necessitated. As we continue with the case, [Collection 2, 1998] the Gamorrean Guard was still a great seller, Nien Numb did alright, and Yak Face held his own a little while. I'm not sure of the breakdown, but I figured 3 new figures for each type (9 so far) and 1 of each from old cases (Malakali with his record sales might have been in this wave though - and EV-9D9 slowed down before the other 3 did, too). Well, the Gamorrean was in there and always sold. I distinctly recall that.

Meanwhile, costs being balanced on the profits from the case is actually a very bad theory. For maximum efficiency they should micromanage their costs/revenues right down to each figure. Nothing should be "Free" and I doubt they were 'giving us' Logray for buying Wicket as a 'good customer reward' or something - that just doesn't make sense. Their customers are Target, Walmart, KayBee, and TRU. (which still lends credit to the equating marginal returns at the CASE level - but though it's my theory, it's a weak argument I wouldn't defend in detail).

So back to Cinema Scenes and Multi-Packs....

Look at the Cantina Aliens and ask yourself if Takeel was that good of quality, or the paint job on Nabrum Leids could have been better? Jabba's Dancers were alright, the Rebel Pilots top quality, though the Skiff Guards were painted on the lighter side.

Overall, Ewoks are still considered a gamble by Hasbro (in my guess) so I don't think we'll get "Teebo-quality" figures out of 3 packs or even 2 packs.

The current poll on SSG is asking you guys if you want more Ewoks, specifically Romba in this case, but I am going to make an effort to see to it that Paul@Hasbro monitors the results we get and has this to consider if enough collectors vote on it.

Meanwhile, think about how much detail you want to go into

Romba
Chief Chirpa
Lumat
Warrick

and if Paploo already warrants a resculpt from that Speederbike version?

How about Wicket and Logray? (I think those two were pretty good and are just fine the way they are myself - though Wicket should be smaller).

Instead I'd like 2 more Ewoks than we had in the vintage days: a mother with baby, and a very specific and fierce warrior I notice behind Leia every time I watch 'Jedi.'

Not bad for a little furball.

Your thoughts and theories on all this?

Jargo
12-18-2001, 07:26 PM
HELLO? earth to Tycho - read my response to the poll about Ewoks. I'm all for ewoks being produced to balance things out proportionally based on location and planets seen in movies and nonsense like that. You seem to think I mock? Not so, not so at all.

Dryanta
12-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Great sculpt or not,for the money there needs to be two to card.Like the first Jawas.

Darth Rage
12-18-2001, 10:12 PM
I would like to see more Ewoks So I can build an army to kick the empires ahses!

JediCole
12-19-2001, 06:00 PM
WOW! After seeing this guy, all I can say is BRING ON THE EWOKS! After collecting the original Jedi and POTF lines in the 80s, I thought I had my fill of Ewoks. But as time has passed with only a handful to people (or Ewok) the present line, it was high time we had a new one. And this one just leaves me wanting more and more! And I thought the FX-7 wave was pretty incredible. It just keeps getting better!

Yub! Yub!