PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think of the OT DVD Package?

JediTricks
03-24-2004, 04:52 PM
This September, the Original Trilogy will finally be officially released on DVD; the classic Star Wars trilogy films have been some of the most-requested DVDs since the format first hit the market in the late '90s. Earlier this week, the official Star Wars site released public images of the four-disc set's outer package (each disc will also have its own packaging within the set that will fit with the look of the already-released Prequel films' boxes), but what are Star Wars fans' opinion of this main package's look?

Click here to view the DVD package (http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30090)

Vote now and let everybody know what you think!

Kidhuman
03-24-2004, 04:59 PM
I like it. I just need to get a closed one to match the closed set I have on the VHS. And of course one to view. :beard:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-24-2004, 05:16 PM
I like this design alot; pretty nifty how it incoroporates the old style of posters and stuff with its design.

Also funny how they're doing the OT design when in fact it's not the OT, but the SE. (that's for you, Binksy. Just messin'; don't start anything, buddy! :crazed: )

Beast
03-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Looks great to me. Can't wait to finally not have to change massive platters to watch the movies on Laserdisc. And it's still the OT, JMG. Even if it's not the same versions that came out in 77, 80, and 83. Hell, if you want to be picky....ANH hasn't been the same since it was originally in the theater. So has never been on Home Video outside it's altered form. Doesn't mean it's not still the original trilogy. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thomasandrea-call
03-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Well it looks great and the only problem that I have is that the pre-quel movies will not match other then that I think it looks real great and can't wait to get the dvds

Beast
03-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Well it looks great and the only problem that I have is that the pre-quel movies will not match other then that I think it looks real great and can't wait to get the dvds
Thomasandrea-call, they will match the prequel DVD's. That's just the slipcase. Each movie will have a keepcase in the slipcase. And the designs for the single keepcases, will match up with the Prequel DVD's. Including having the roman numerals on the sides. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

vadersvette
03-24-2004, 07:25 PM
I like it, but I wish the side was opened up so you could see the spines of the dvd cases (like the 1995 vhs release, and the SE release) :crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
03-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I'll be the first to stick my neck out and say "Aaargh, she blows." I'd rather have the SE-style poster artwork on the outside since we're getting the SE and not the OT. Why beat around the bush G.Lu? You've forsaken the old stuff so why do that type of packaging?

joe-da
03-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Don't care. They could put it in a white cardboard box as long as they show ALL the deleted scenes (wampa stuff, sandstorm, Luke's training, etc.)... And they could put it in a ziploc bag IF they showed the original forms of the movie, too! I'm not saying DON'T release the Special Edition, just give us BOTH!!! The outer wrapping matters not...

jedihunter25
03-24-2004, 11:50 PM
I voted it's OK- I liked the Empire Collection packaging that we seen a few weeks ago better, but this will do I guess.

OC47150
03-25-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm curious to know if the individual discs will match the TPM and AOTC packaging, or are we going to have to buy another trilogy set in a couple of years.

nellas
03-25-2004, 08:28 AM
I actually thought that some of the other examples that made their way to the ewb looked far more appealing. I especially liked the packging with the Green and Red highlights.

Darkross
03-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Don't care. They could put it in a white cardboard box as long as they show ALL the deleted scenes (wampa stuff, sandstorm, Luke's training, etc.)... And they could put it in a ziploc bag IF they showed the original forms of the movie, too! I'm not saying DON'T release the Special Edition, just give us BOTH!!! The outer wrapping matters not...

Yep...I agree...although there should be more than just one DVD of deleted / behind the scenes footage though. I mean common...there are at least 3 making of documentaries on the saga. The one that came out shortly after SW, then there's the SPFX: The making of the Empire Strikes Back, and From Star Wars to Jedi: the making of a saga. I saw all three growing up...so they do exist and all three were about 2 hours in length...so if they could include these documentaries along with all other documentaries / interviews that has been released on the VHS / Laserdiscs...plus all deleted scenes previously mentioned that would be good. I too really don't care what packaging they come in...since they won't be in the package very often anyway.

angellus
03-25-2004, 10:43 AM
The packaging looks great. It's just too bad that the box will be nicer than the films inside. I won't buy any version of the trilogy on DVD unless Lucas decides to release the originals. I might have even bought both versions if he actually respected his fans and gave us the opportuntity to choose which version we'd prefer to watch. But since Lucas sees fit to make that decision for all of us, he won't be getting my money. Don't get me wrong, I know that won't make much of a difference to him. And maybe that's his whole problem.

scruffziller
03-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Excellent!!!! It is exactly as how I imagined it.

Beast
03-25-2004, 11:33 AM
I'm curious to know if the individual discs will match the TPM and AOTC packaging, or are we going to have to buy another trilogy set in a couple of years.
Again, yes they will. That's just the slipcase. Each movie will have an individual keepcase. And the design will match up with the prequel DVD's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

skeeziks22
03-25-2004, 11:56 AM
The design looks good... though I wish they could have snuck Chewie in there somewhere. I really like the angle of the vader's head... but, it doesn't matter much to me what it looks like. I am sure there will be a prequel dvd trilogy set within a year of EIII's release, and wouldn't be suprised to see a boxed set of all six w/some of the things people have been asking for (documentaries, making-offs etc) included in this "Ultimate" edition of the movies (and of course I am sure each movie will be tweaked one more tuime for that final release.

I actually don't mind him changing them (again) because it gives me a reason to own another copy (even if the first time on DVD). I would like to get my hands on the original movie release of ANH in any form.

mastermatt24
03-25-2004, 07:13 PM
The packaging looks great. It's just too bad that the box will be nicer than the films inside. I won't buy any version of the trilogy on DVD unless Lucas decides to release the originals. I might have even bought both versions if he actually respected his fans and gave us the opportuntity to choose which version we'd prefer to watch. But since Lucas sees fit to make that decision for all of us, he won't be getting my money. Don't get me wrong, I know that won't make much of a difference to him. And maybe that's his whole problem.

I like it and will be buying it but... Many people do not like the Special Editions. The SE's are how Lucas wanted the movies to look like, but couldnt afford to make them look like that at the time- Personally I like them both but honestly, I like the SE better. Im just curious but how come so many people hate the SE's????? :confused:

joe-da
03-25-2004, 10:12 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but a main reason, of course, is: Greedo shoots at Han, not Han shooting at Greedo. Not only is it a bad choice, it just looks awkward. Why is it a poor choice? Well, for one, Greedo missing at that close range makes this "Jabba" and everyone associated with him look weak and ineffective. This is the first time you hear anything about Jabba and his organization (the SE being made before the prequels), and the scene now shows that Han is in no danger, and the whole SW galaxy seems a less dangerous place, if this bounty hunter of the most powerful gangster in the galaxy misses at point blank range in the very hive of scum and villany..

That leaves a bad taste in many long-time fans' collective mouths.

Personally, I don't hate the SE (maybe with the exception of this scene - and hey, I love Jar-Jar and his ilk! Really!) but both versions should be released.

There's a sense of "ha ha, you can never see your beloved original Star Wars again", by the statements that the original version will never ever be released in any legal shape, form or fashion, and that's unneccessary, creates disgust and animosity, is borderline insane and innane .... and it's late, I'll stop here.

Bring me BOTH versions! Both! Please!!!!

vadersvette
03-25-2004, 11:03 PM
In my opinion, the reason why many dislike the SEs is the music switch in ROTJ. I don't mind anything else changed, but I always liked the original yub-nub song and the Max Rebo song. Also, since I don't own the SEs on video, I recorded A New Hope off of a TV airing, and I noticed some scenes and bits of scenes missing, like "let the wookie win", and some of the trash compactor scenes. I only saw the SEs once in theaters, and can't remember if SE ANH was like that, or if the movie was edited for time on TV. :confused:

angellus
03-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Im just curious but how come so many people hate the SE's????? :confused:

I can't even say that I "hate" the special editions. What I hate is that Lucas is making the choice for us. And I hate the attitude he has toward the versions of the films that are responsible for getting him where he is today. He's forgotten where he came from, and he's very disrespectful of his fans and the special effects crew whose groundbreaking work will never again see the light of day.

mastermatt24
03-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Ok, I should watch my words. How come so many people "dislike" the SE's?? :confused:

sith_killer_99
03-26-2004, 11:32 AM
OK, so we're getting "deleted scenes" with the "Special Edition".

Does this mean that the scenes that were deleted or changed from the OTR will be included as "deleted scenes"? ie. Han shooting first, the original arrival scene for Mos Eisley, Bespin, etc? :rolleyes: I mean, technically these are now deleted scenes.

As for the packaging, it's nice. But I tend to agree, I would buy these in plain white mailer boxes if GL released them that way. Heck, if it would mean getting them to us a month faster, I would be all for the plain white box. :D

skeeziks22
03-26-2004, 01:14 PM
I noticed some scenes and bits of scenes missing, like "let the wookie win", and some of the trash compactor scenes. I only saw the SEs once in theaters, and can't remember if SE ANH was like that, or if the movie was edited for time on TV. :confused:

Edited for television does some sucky things and cutting certain lines that you love is one of them. I don't think anything was cut, that wasn't either replaced or upgraded in the SE.

Also, the theatre reslease of ANH and TPM (and maybe others) are not the ame as the original (non-SE) editions that have been released so far.

So, if we are asking for the non-SE editions to be put onto DVD's I would also want to see the original theatre releases of ALL the movies on DVD as well.

mastermatt24
03-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Also, the theatre reslease of ANH and TPM (and maybe others) are not the ame as the original (non-SE) editions that have been released so far. .

What was different with TPM? :sur:

Pendo
03-27-2004, 05:45 AM
It looks a lot nicer than I thought it would. I can't wait for that to be a part of my DVD collection :D.

PENDO!

skeeziks22
03-29-2004, 11:43 AM

I believe (and I may be wrong) that there was some additional footage added to the DVD that was not in the Video version (the video and theatre versions are the same I think). For some reason (I watched the video recently, but not the DVD) I think that a scene was added to the DVD with them swimming to shore from the gungan sub (I know it was in the deleted scenes, but I think a shorter cut of it is in the DVD movie).

Again, I may be wrong...

mastermatt24
03-29-2004, 09:24 PM
I dont remeber that but Ill have to rewatch and look closely.

mastermatt24
03-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Does anyone no how much these things will retail for?? :ermm:

Beast
03-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Probably around the same as the Indiana Jones set. So around $50.00. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-30-2004, 01:41 AM
I'm quite pleased. :)

I'll be displaying the slipcase separately while the keepcases are with the prequels in their place on my shelves.

I have a question: Will there be a gold stripe across the top of the keepcase covers like TPM and AOTC have ? See, I loved how they put "Every journey has a beginning" on the top of TPM but I thought they screwed it up by putting "widescreen" on the top of AOTC.

They should have continued the statement on AOTC or else used a teaser lne from that specific campaign and NOT this Widescreen nonsense. That information should have been relayed with a sticker on the cellophane wrapper.

Anyway, can anybody answer my question ? Thanks. :)

mastermatt24
03-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Thomasandrea-call, they will match the prequel DVD's. That's just the slipcase. Each movie will have a keepcase in the slipcase. And the designs for the single keepcases, will match up with the Prequel DVD's. Including having the roman numerals on the sides. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

They should have the stripe.

Beast
03-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Ok, we have a SRP for the DVD set now. According to Amazon.Com, the SRP is $69.98 for the 4 disc set. And if you pre-order it now, you can get it for $41.99. Expect similar prices on the first week of release at retail. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

skeeziks22
03-30-2004, 03:41 PM
And if you pre-order it now, you can get it for $41.99. Expect similar prices on the first week of release at retail. :)

and free shipping...

Mandalorian Candidat
03-30-2004, 03:47 PM
If it's priced anything like the IJ set then WM should have it for around $35. Costco should also have lower price.

Beast
04-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Reposting from other thread. We have some early specs from DVD File. Sounds good, other then the lack of Ford or Hammil on the Audio Commentary track. I wonder if they even asked Mark, since you would think he would jump at the chance. Since he's always been a major fan of the series. Odd that they get Carrie Fisher. Since she's always seemed to not like talking about the movies. :)

Alright, alright, no more April Fool's jokes. (Really, this is serious.) Just announced from Fox Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm are the complete specs for the upcoming Star Wars Trilogy box sets, hitting a galaxy near you on September 21st. (Perhaps you have heard of them?)

Available in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each includes Dolby Digital Surround EX tracks, plus additional English, French and Spanish Dolby 2.0 surround options and English, French and Spanish subtitles.

The set will also contain audio commentaries for each film: George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher (A New Hope); Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher (The Empire Strikes Back); and Lucas, Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher again (on Return of the Jedi). Other extras include the bonus fourth disc with "The Most Comprehensive Feature-Length Documentary Ever Produced On the Star Wars Saga" plus "Never Before Seen Footage From the Making Of All Three Films." Expect more possible extras to be announced soon, and retail for either box will list for $69.95.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

vadersvette
04-01-2004, 05:37 PM
I just watched my EPI DVD, and noticed that one of the deleted scenes from disc 2 (the extended Coruscant landing platform) was placed into the movie. (Jar-Jar says that the queen is hot!) :crazed:

OC47150
04-01-2004, 05:40 PM
You hadn't noticed that before?

OC47150
04-01-2004, 05:42 PM
That comment wasn't meant to be harsh or critical. It was a pretty obvious addition that I took for granted.

skeeziks22
04-01-2004, 05:51 PM

I think it was in response to a question about something I wrote. I couldn't remember exactly what was different in TPM so someone asked and this was just the answer. Something I'm sure had been noticed, but just now confirmed again since we were talking about "original" releases vs. "special editions."

vadersvette
04-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I already knew that, but it has been over a year since I bought the DVD, and completely forgot :crazed: