PDA

View Full Version : Why is Mace Saber on E1 fugures blue?

Darth Mina
03-26-2004, 01:41 AM
Did some one forgor to alert hasbro that mace's saber was suposed to be purple, or what is the deal?

Beast
03-26-2004, 02:11 AM
Mace's lightsaber wasn't established as being purple until Episode II. They explained this away in the comics though. Apperantly Mace and one of the other Jedi's on the council did a Jedi ritual where they carried each others Lightsabers for a while. I forget who the other Jedi was though. But yeah, Prior to E2's established Lightsaber colors, there were many odd colors. Plo had yellow, Saesaee had purple. Adi Gallia actually had red. And then E2 said that the only Jedi Saber colors are Green and Blue, and then Mace's Purple. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LusiferSam
03-26-2004, 09:40 AM
It's bit like asking why Luke's lightsabers are yellow in the vintage line. There are a lot of explanations after the fact, but it comes down to someone made a mistake or changed their mind.

El Chuxter
03-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Mace's lightsaber wasn't established as being purple until Episode II. They explained this away in the comics though. Apperantly Mace and one of the other Jedi's on the council did a Jedi ritual where they carried each others Lightsabers for a while. I forget who the other Jedi was though. But yeah, Prior to E2's established Lightsaber colors, there were many odd colors. Plo had yellow, Saesaee had purple. Adi Gallia actually had red. And then E2 said that the only Jedi Saber colors are Green and Blue, and then Mace's Purple. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Oh my, sound the seventh trump and let darkness be unleashed upon the earth! I get a chance to correct JJB! :D (j/k, buddy)

The switcheroo was actually supposed to clear up some controversy in the shape of Mace's saber, since different production stills and the finished film showed him with different saber hilts. So they said he'd traded sabers with Eeth Koth in a ritual of some sort. His saber blade remained blue in the comics until 2002, though.

I don't believe there's yet a true explanation for his purple blade, or the origin of his gold-plated E2 hilt (aside from a mention in the Visual Dictionary that he's made "improvements" to his saber since E1).

Beast
03-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the correction, El Chux. Hey, I'm only human....err, gungan. I'm allowed to be wrong, from time to time. And I don't read the comics that much. So you'll have to excuse the fact I don't know them all that well. Thanks for the info. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
03-26-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't believe there is a proper explanation really. He never used his lightsaber in the Episode I movie and blue was an obvious choice really.

It was only when Episode II came around and Mace used his lightsaber on screen that Samuel L. Jackson asked for Purple because it's cool. I like to think that it's his status as the 2nd in command of the Jedi that allows him to have such a cool looking lightsaber! :D

I remember a few years back, the summer of 2000 when I was buying all the Episode I figures to complete my collection, I bought about 8 in one day and didn't look too much at them. When I got home, I was shocked that Adi Gallia had a red lightsaber. I went online to see if it had been a mistake. For a while, I thought she was some Dark Jedi who had infiltrated the Jedi Order. :D

JediTricks
03-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Rumor has it there was a scene with the Jedi during Qui-Gon's funeral where they all raise their lightsabers in salute, and Mace's blade was supposed to be blue there. Dunno if it's true or not.

BTW, part of the reason Mace's saber was changed in Ep 1 from screen to home market was because originally Sam Jackson got to pick his hilt on the set from a basket of choices, and the one he chose just happened to look very similar to Darth Maul's, leading to all sorts of fan speculation about Windu's true loyalties. So, in order to explain this and Eeth Koth having similar features (though not coloring) to the enigmatic Maul, the EU stated that Mace & Eeth did the saber swap during the perioud around Ep 1, and Eeth is the same race (Zabrak, yes?) as the tattooed Maul.... and yes, that is ALL from memory. :D

Darth Mina
03-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Well thanks for the answer ALL of you.

Kidhuman
03-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Never knew any of that. I didnt even realize his saber was blue until M.S. pointed it out. I turned around and it was blue. :beard:

Darth Mina
03-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I also did not know that it was blue untill i went to my garage and got all my collection to take pictures (I'm moving and needed to organize all my cases)
In the begining I did find it odd but now that everyone explained to me it makes sence :D