PDA

View Full Version : Is Dutch Vander his correct name?

zlurp
03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
I don't know if this was talked about before but....I was watching ANH last night, and in the Death Star run it sounded like gold leader called Dutch- "Hutch". Sure enough, when I turned on the captions gold leader says, "Lost Tiree, lost Hutch." Did anyone else notice this?

Mandalorian Candidat
03-26-2004, 11:48 AM
I don't remember exactly what it said in that scene, but it's possible that the captions person didn't hear what was said in the dialogue due to background noise or music. In the WOTC SW:TCG there's a card for this character and it has his nickname as Dutch.

Maybe there is another character called Hutch, because Gold Leader is Dutch so he wouldn't be talking about losing himself.

zlurp
03-26-2004, 02:31 PM
I just watched it again. My mistake Gold five says, "Lost Tiree, Lost Hutch." It definately sounds like he says Hutch.

clonehead
03-27-2004, 01:22 AM
that could have been very interesting

Kidhuman
03-27-2004, 09:45 AM
It doesnt matter because the figure is Rick McCallum. Right Chux?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2004, 08:00 PM
So let me see, the pilots are:
X-wings - Red Squadron
Red Leader - ?
Red Two - Biggs Darklighter?
Red Three - Wedge Antilles?
Red Four - John D.?
Red Five - Luke Skywalker
Red Six - Jek Porkins
Y-wings - Gold Squadron
Gold Leader - Jon "Dutch" Vander
Gold Two - Tiree
Gold Three - ?
Gold Four - ?
Gold Five - ? "Lost Tiree, lost D/Hutch"

About the Dutch/Hutch thing though, if you say it out loud then it's hard to tell what is said. The "t" on "lost" could be mixed in with the "D" on Dutch, making it seem like he said Hutch.

B'Omarr Monkey
03-27-2004, 09:03 PM
I always thought it sounded like "Hutch," but the script says "Dutch." It could be like JJ sys with the blending of the "T" and "D" sounds, or a slip of the tongue. Whether he says Hutch or not, he was supposed to say "Dutch."

I've seen a lot of movies where actors aren't consistant with each other on how they pronounce names and places. I'm sure there are places SW even where character names, settings, or objects are pronounced differently by different actors.

zlurp
03-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah, or maybe that guy was new, and he thought that Dutch's name was Hutch. So the whole time he was calling Dutch, Hutch, and Dutch was getting ****ed. He was going to kick his ***** when they got back to Yavin.....sadly Dutch never got that chance :cry: .

Card Dreamer
03-28-2004, 01:15 AM
X-wings - Red Squadron

Red Leader - Garven Dreis
Red Two - Wedge Antilles
Red three - Biggs Darklighter
Red Four - OOC
Red Six - Jek Porkins
Red Seven -Elyhek Rue
Red Eight - Bren Quersey
Red Nine - Lt. Naytaan
Red Ten - Theron Nett

Y-wings - Gold Squadron

Gold Two - Tiree
Gold Three - Ryle Torsyn
Gold Four - LT. Lepira
Gold Five - Davish "Pops" Krail
Gold Six - Hol Okand

There, filled in the blanks for ya, as well as switched around Biggs and Wedge...

Red 4 was Out Of Commission for ANH..for it was destroyed just prior to the Battle of Yavin...

Sources for this info incase anyone would like to research more, included:

Decipher's SW: CCG (Premiere, ANH and Special Edition sets) and the X-wing comic given out at the premiere of ANH: SE in theaters.

Also, Its been a while since I watched ANH...but I could have sworn Tiree was Gold 5 and Pops Gold 2 :confused:

B'Omarr Monkey
03-28-2004, 07:23 PM
X-wings - Red Squadron

Red Leader - Garven Dreis
Red Two - Wedge Antilles
Red three - Biggs Darklighter
Red Four - OOC
Red Six - Jek Porkins
Red Seven -Elyhek Rue
Red Eight - Bren Quersey
Red Nine - Lt. Naytaan
Red Ten - Theron Nett

Y-wings - Gold Squadron

Gold Two - Tiree
Gold Three - Ryle Torsyn
Gold Four - LT. Lepira
Gold Five - Davish "Pops" Krail
Gold Six - Hol Okand

This just reminded me of something I always wondered about, when did all the SW characters start geeting all these screwy names like Elyhek Rue?

Han, Luke, Ben, Leia, Owen, Mace, while not all that common for first names perhaps (except for maybe, Ben) are uncommon enough, while not so exotic as to be alienating for an earth person to relate to and keep track of, some of the later names just sound like bad science fiction names. Nobody in SW seems to have a simple earth-based name anymore. Maybe Kyp and Mara. Why not?

It also leads me to believe that SW would possibly have never been made, or have been as popular with the general public if ANH came out and the main characters were named things like: "Tesar Sebatyne" and "Ulic Qel-Droma."

Kidhuman
03-28-2004, 07:45 PM
This just reminded me of something I always wondered about, when did all the SW characters start geeting all these screwy names like Elyhek Rue?

Han, Luke, Ben, Leia, Owen, Mace, while not all that common for first names perhaps (except for maybe, Ben) are uncommon enough, while not so exotic as to be alienating for an earth person to relate to and keep track of, some of the later names just sound like bad science fiction names. Nobody in SW seems to have a simple earth-based name anymore. Maybe Kyp and Mara. Why not?

It also leads me to believe that SW would possibly have never been made, or have been as popular with the general public if ANH came out and the main characters were named things like: "Tesar Sebatyne" and "Ulic Qel-Droma."

I have always wondered myself why they named every character. It is because of the CCG cards Ithink. I was fine with names like hammerhead, walrusman, etc., but to give evryone a name is kind of odd. Sometimes you cant leave well enough alone. :beard:

Card Dreamer
03-28-2004, 08:57 PM
I have always wondered myself why they named every character. It is because of the CCG cards Ithink. I was fine with names like hammerhead, walrusman, etc., but to give evryone a name is kind of odd. Sometimes you cant leave well enough alone. :beard:
Yeah, cause we all know how PC it is to shout "Walrusman, into your fighter now!" ...and then you have 3 of them turn around wondering "what the heck? Which one, you dolt!?" :p :crazed: