PDA

View Full Version : Which mac & cheese is superior?

JediTricks
03-26-2004, 07:58 PM
On the one hand, you have the classic macaroni and cheese casserole design: baked noodles in a bechamel (traditional white sauce) that has cheese added, crispy crust, smooth interior.

On the other hand, you have the modern favorite Kraft-style "Mac & Cheese Instant Dinner" concept: boiled noodles with a processed cheese-food sauce, cheesy, cheap, easy, and - unlike the classic casserole version - not the bane of most children.

Each has its detractors and proponents, but which one is truly the superior food? Target stores have even recently added actual Kraft mac & cheese to their snackbars. Ask yourself, which did you prefer as a young kid, and which do you favor now? Is the old casserole standby going the way of the dinosaur (except of course in low-rent buffets), and if so, is this the way it should be?

Beast
03-26-2004, 08:04 PM
What? No third choice. Everyone knows the kind with the cheese pouch is vastly superior to both the original and the powder Mac & Cheese. Or is that what you mean by the 'Instant Dinner' choice. Especially the fancy flavors like 4 cheese. Now that's good eatin'. Never could stand that powder crap kind. It tastes like the box it came in. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
03-26-2004, 08:25 PM
I like the powder stuff the best. Yummy! Extra salt & pepper!!! I guess after growing up on the stuff, nothing else tases right. It's gotta be Kraft though, those other brands taste like crap :dead:

Orange foods rule!! :D

JediTricks
03-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Sorry JJB, but I haven't seen a large upswell of interest in the packaged cheese versions, the "Kraft Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese", right? It doesn't seem to have enough of a market share to enter into the fray. Heck, I didn't even remember it until you said something. I suppose I could have mentioned their new "Easy Mac" too, but again, not a major player in the Mac & Cheese wars. :D

2-1B
03-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Give me a cheap box of powder stuff and I'll add my own dose of cheese from the refridgerator.

Kidhuman
03-26-2004, 11:01 PM
The powder kind with out a doubt. Yummy in the tummy. Dose some pepper on it, pop in a tape of your favorite movie and chomp down. Eat it right from the pot, why bother dirtying a plate?????????????????????????????????????? :beard:

Reefer Shark
03-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Hell yeah, eat it from the pot!!! I thought that was the way you were supposed to eat it. Use a couch pillow and just set it on your lap (that way you don't burn your legs).

Then, after you dust off the whole pot you're too tired to get up and clean it. Just pass out and let the cheese stuff get all hard and crusty in the pot..... clean it later, it's okay.

That's the way to eat the 'ole mac-n-cheese!

....now I feel compelled to whup up a batch....

Kidhuman
03-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Clean nothing.....let it soak in the sink for a week. :D :beard:

plasticfetish
03-27-2004, 03:30 AM
On the one hand, you have the classic macaroni and cheese casserole design: baked noodles in a bechamel (traditional white sauce) that has cheese added, crispy crust, smooth interior.
As I understand it, this is "ghetto" mac & cheese... and from what I've been fed, I'd say it's far superior to the Kraft box version. All baked up with a crispy skin, big noodles and crazy amounts of heart clogging cheese, that's the way to do it.

Not to say that the box version is inferior, but it's not the same.

Kidhuman
03-27-2004, 09:04 AM
Okay, pasta is not noodles. I am sorry but the are two different things. Pasta is made with semolina while noodles are made with egg. Being Italian it has always irritated me when people call pasta "noodles" because there is a distinct difference.

JediTricks
03-28-2004, 03:39 PM
"ghetto" mac & cheese??? Casserole was the original, our crazy modern sauce-based boxed thing is the low-rent design, a simplified and cheaped version of the original... but the box one is superior. ;)

KH, noodles are pasta, but not all pastas are noodles. Also, pasta is not strictly constrained to wheat semolina (the hard granules of wheat left over from the sifting or milling process of durum and/or other hard wheats), any wheat or other grains such as rice, corn, and spelt can be used to make pasta.

pasta: Unleavened dough, made of wheat flour, water, and sometimes eggs, that is molded into any of a variety of shapes and boiled; shaped and dried dough made from flour and water and sometimes egg.

noodle: A narrow, ribbonlike strip of dried dough, usually made of flour, eggs, and water; a ribbonlike strip of pasta.

Kidhuman
03-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Thank you for clearing that up JT. :beard:

Sentinel18725
03-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Kraft....Spirals....only way to go! The flavor dances on your tongue. It is incredible! If you want to really get crazy....add some hot dogs in there for a meaty treat!* :crazed:

dr_evazan22
03-29-2004, 06:01 PM
I generally eat, and like, the Kraft Cheese and Mac, but as a kid my foster mom made the casserole kind, with the crust. One of the things I like about frozen dinners (which I usually don't eat) is that they have the crusty version. Both are yummy!

As a side note, a few times (about 10 - 15 years ago) I made cheese popcorn by taking the powder and mixing it with melted butter. Not too bad.

:beard:

plasticfetish
03-29-2004, 08:51 PM
"ghetto" mac & cheese??? Casserole was the original, our crazy modern sauce-based boxed thing is the low-rent design, a simplified and cheaped version of the original... but the box one is superior. ;)
"Ghetto" doesn't have to mean trashy, not in this case anyway. Just way more cheese, 2 or 3 kinds and fresh... and lots of butter.

I dunno about superior, but boxed is saltier. Best with canned tuna.

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Sure thing KH, any time. ;) :beard:

Sentinel, spirals??? What next, Power Rangers Mac & Cheese? :D j/k, but first JJB with the Deeluxo "sac de fromage" and now we're adding shapes, what a world...

Evazan, Kraft actually makes popcorn cheese that comes in a shaker, I'm betting it's almost exactly the same as what you're doing. I think they even changed the name a few years ago to "Mac & Cheese Flavored Popcorn Topping" or something like that.

PF, I've always found that the casserole version was considered higher class, and being that it's based in a bechamel, it's not very cheesy at all, most of the cheese goes into the crust while the cheese gets all weird and runny.

Hot Dogs? Tuna? I've learned the hard way that mac & cheese plus meat equals long, painful stays in the bathroom. It was right after my 18th birthday I think, my sister was making us a special mac & beef dinner, the next day we were watching the OJ verdict and I was sooooooo sick! It took me years to even look at mac & cheese without feeling nauseated.

Sentinel18725
03-30-2004, 12:56 AM
If Mac and Cheese causes some belly problems...you need to get a better constitution....me and my cast iron stomach (which is actually not too big considering the trash I put in it) can handle that any day....especially those days that you don't want to feel anemic :crazed:

Try eating 5lbs of Burittos in an hour....that really pushed the limits!

Beast
03-30-2004, 01:00 AM
I can't believe there is no love for the Macaroni and Cheese with the lil package of real cheese that you put in it. Instead of that creepy orange powder. Yick! :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
03-30-2004, 01:00 AM
5lbs. of burritos??????????????

I think I would puke after eating 3 of 'em

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 02:41 AM
If Mac and Cheese causes some belly problems...you need to get a better constitution....me and my cast iron stomach (which is actually not too big considering the trash I put in it) can handle that any day....especially those days that you don't want to feel anemic :crazed:

Try eating 5lbs of Burittos in an hour....that really pushed the limits!
It was food poisoning, probably the meat was bad.

Sorry JJB, like I said, Deluxe just ain't popular.

BTW, this tale of Kraft Mac & Cheese gone horribly wrong should act as a cautionary tale to you all, but it won't. ;) http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=284621&#post284621

Tom Araya
04-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Bah, kick in the extra buck and indulge yourselves in Velveeta Shells n' cheese. It's the only mac and cheese I eat. :D

Ok..who am I kidding. I'll eat pretty much any type of mac and cheese. :nerv:

Well......unless of course someone blew their nose in it. :ermm:

....or wrung out a washcloth soaked in armpit sweat into the pot. :ermm:

....or if someone stuck several yellowish-brown earwax covered Q-tips into th.....oh, you get the point. :beard:

IMFETTUP
04-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I'm with you, I will devour any type of mac and cheese that crosses my path! Throw in a hot dog or two and I am in cheesy heaven! I would like to see a mac and cheese battle on the "iron chef."lol

"He's no good to me dead."

CaptainSolo1138
04-20-2004, 11:31 AM
I would like to see a mac and cheese battle on the "iron chef.
Holy crap that would be awesome! Chen Kenichi vs. Suburban housewife in Kitchen Stadium with Chairman Kaga yelling "Macaroni........AND CHEESE!!"

IMFETTUP
04-20-2004, 11:34 AM
That's what I'm talking about! I'm going to call Chairman Kaga and suggest this battle take place immediately! The downside to this is that their mac and cheese would probably have weird stuff in it like, squid roe or goose liver.:speech:

CaptainSolo1138
04-20-2004, 01:01 PM
That's what I'm talking about! I'm going to call Chairman Kaga and suggest this battle take place immediately! The downside to this is that their mac and cheese would probably have weird stuff in it like, squid roe or goose liver.:speech:
And see if we can be the announcers at the battle. You can be the "funny" guy in the glasses and I'll put on kabuki face paint, pretend to be a woman, and laugh passively at everything you say. Now we need a color commentator, someone who's not scared to enter the trenches of the kitchens and say witty things such as "Things are really heating up!" :crazed:

JediTricks
04-20-2004, 10:57 PM
I found myself having baked casserole-style mac-n-cheese just today, and it was surprisingly good AND cheesy. Oh no, I'm getting old. :eek: ;)

Iron Chef Mac & Cheese would require cheese made from a yak that only lives on the peak of Mt Everest. :D

"... well you'd know all about that, 'doctor' Hattori."
"Ha ha ha, right you are!"
"Fukui-san?"
"Ota, go!"
"Ok, Iron Chef Sakai is using the double-boiler to delicately combine the theme ingredient yak cheese with tender spring mushrooms, baby green onions, finely-chopped kalamata olives, a whole bottle of Chateau Verian 1872 port wine, foie gras, and a very rare black duck egg."
"Ohhhh, ok, I see what he's doing, he's using the acid in the wine to cut the milk curds."
"So it'll keep it from getting all stringy?"
"Yes, exactly."
"Sounds pretty expensive Doc. Ota, what's going on over on the challenger's side?"
"Ah, yes, Mrs. Henklemeyer is tearing open the package and mixing its powdery contents with whole milk and salted butter."
"Ohhhh, ok, I've heard of this, she's taking what's called: 'the lazy way'. I'm told a lot of Americans do it this way."
"Sounds challenging!"

CaptainSolo1138
04-20-2004, 11:37 PM
A few of things, JT:
1) You have WAY too much free time. ;)
2) Your Iron Chef prowess surpasses even mine.
3) That was the hardest I've laughed all week!! Thank you.

And right you are, JT-san, being a lazy American is challenging!

JediTricks
04-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks, I was inspired. :D And I agree, it IS challenging. ;)

Tom Araya
04-21-2004, 08:24 PM
"... well you'd know all about that, 'doctor' Hattori."
"Ha ha ha, right you are!"
"Fukui-san?"
"Ota, go!"
"Ok, Iron Chef Sakai is using the double-boiler to delicately combine the theme ingredient yak cheese with tender spring mushrooms, baby green onions, finely-chopped kalamata olives, a whole bottle of Chateau Verian 1872 port wine, foie gras, and a very rare black duck egg."
"Ohhhh, ok, I see what he's doing, he's using the acid in the wine to cut the milk curds."
"So it'll keep it from getting all stringy?"
"Yes, exactly."
"Sounds pretty expensive Doc. Ota, what's going on over on the challenger's side?"
"Ah, yes, Mrs. Henklemeyer is tearing open the package and mixing its powdery contents with whole milk and salted butter."
"Ohhhh, ok, I've heard of this, she's taking what's called: 'the lazy way'. I'm told a lot of Americans do it this way."
"Sounds challenging!"

LOLOLOLOL....that was hilarious. lol Is the girl in that dialogue?

JediTricks
04-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Nope, just Ota, Fukui, and Hattori, I stuck with the ones I was most familiar with. Oh, what a good use of my human brain THAT was. ;)

mabudonicus
04-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Man, gotta say your streak continues JT, I read that one aloud to JediElf, funny stuff... the voice-over work on that show is outright hysterical... my favourite quote I think was "I think the Iron Chef will be smoking these once he's done rolling them" as said by Doc Hattori

Or anytime Kenji Fukui says "Go, Big guy" to Ota

And yes, homemade "50's gourmet" style mac and cheese is by far the best, with tomatoes and bread crumbs on top... mmmmmmmm :beard:

Kidhuman
04-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Gotta try that bad boy that way Mabs. Suprised you didnt put Lentils in it. :beard:

mabudonicus
04-25-2004, 08:24 AM
You'd be surprised to know that I would suggest keeping Lentils outta mac and cheese, KH, and pizza, too :beard:

Even Lasagna would be taking my love of the wee beans a bit too far...

Man, it's only 8 am and now I gotta start boiling water and picking out rocks and dirt :D

JediTricks
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Thank you, thank you. "Go big guy!" Yeah, that's one I always smile at too (when I catch it, the voice-overs fly through that show pretty fast). That other one's a great quote from Hattori, what show was it from? I gotta catch that one. :D

Lentils = blarrrgh. ;)

Kidhuman
04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Lentils = blarrrgh. ;)

Ditto. I would rather eat rocks. :beard:

plasticfetish
04-28-2004, 04:15 AM
Here's a tip... when making the boxed mac & cheese, try using heavy whipping creme (the liquid stuff) instead of regular milk for an extra thick and rich texture. Don't forget to use twice the amount of butter that the recipe calls for also, 'cause you only live once.

mabudonicus
04-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Hey, KH, I'll save em up for ya, you can pay postage, that way none of the "nutritional value" will be lost and we both win :beard:

JT- not sure which episode it was in... maybe Battle Asparagus, the quote has appeared a few times in slightly different forms, I'll definitely let you know if I stumble across it (I have almost all the episodes on tape, could take a while)
Glad you liked the reference man :D we may have to start a thread about that show, it is a rich source of yuks, and I know a lot more than I should about it :beard:

You know what's real good on mac and cheese??? Cumin, try it, just a dusting

JediTricks
04-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Heavy cream and double-butter? Geez PF, with that recipe, you better HOPE we only live once because if not, you'll be done in by that recipe twice! :D

Cumin, I've seen that several times on baked M&C, but I've never noticed it before in flavor terms.

You can't go wrong with Iron Chef!

Kidhuman
04-28-2004, 11:19 PM
My God PF, is your cholesterol 600? Makes me wonder if you have plastic arteries. :beard:

JediTricks
04-29-2004, 05:30 PM
His cholesterol is used by Frenchmen as a gourmet spread! :D

EWWWWW!!!!!