PDA

View Full Version : Insider 75 - New vehicles!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-26-2004, 08:16 PM
This month's Insider (Grievous on cover) tells some great news. In the fall, TRU will have Darth Vader's TIE Fighter and a Y-wing. Target will have a repaint of Jango's Slave I in ESB colors, and the sandcrawler!!!!!! The sandcrawler has the two jawas from the 1996 pack and a gray-gold Death Star Droid, and a spiffy new paint job (it's the vintage sculpt). They had pics of the Slave I and the sandcrawler. All of these vehicles are in OTC packaging.

Just thought you ought to know. :)

Beast
03-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Aye, and they both look great. Can't wait for them to come out. Here's a mini-peek at the page. And you can see the whole thing at TheJawa.Com. I know that they're not supposed to do this. But oh well, not my fault. :)

http://www.thejawa.com/joseph/Figures/insidersand.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
03-26-2004, 08:31 PM
I agree, great paint job on the sandcrawler. I can't wait for this to come out.

Jargo
03-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Three words. Money. Old. Rope.

Kidhuman
03-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Nice, real nice. I can finally getr an ESB Slave 1. And a sandcrawler. Three figs is sweet. I wish for another droid, but 2 Jawas is fine.

jjreason
03-26-2004, 11:35 PM

Those are definitely interesting choices, Jargo. :baffled:

It's all about new figures for me, and that damned Sandcrawler is going to be one expensive pick up to get one new droid, and it looks even smaller than I remember. Too bad they didn't opt for 2 droids and an all new "tallest" Jawa.

mark2d2
03-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Wow! The Sandcrawler . . . my life long dream is going to come true at last.
I am so beyond stoked! The paint job looks even BETTER than the prototype.

Seriously, Fall can't get here fast enough . . .

Did anyone else notice that it states in the article that more exclusives are in development and will be announced shortly? Somehow, I bet the Bespin Cloud Car will be among them.

:evil:

Kidhuman
03-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Somehow, I bet the Bespin Cloud Car will be among them.

:evil:

It better be :beard:

plasticfetish
03-26-2004, 11:50 PM
You know that "old rope" line cracks me up, but no one's forcing you to spend your money on anything. In all cases, I know a little kid that's gonna freak out when he sees this stuff under the tree come X-mas time... so it's new rope to someone.

The sandcrawler is great. I'm really glad that it's going to have those 3 pack-ins. Super!

clonehead
03-27-2004, 01:24 AM
if i were a collecter of vehicles i would want to buy them

LusiferSam
03-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Very cool paint job on both the Sandcrawler and Slave 1. I can't tell from that picture, does the Sandcrawler's side door still have the same dumb hinge as the vintage version? And it's funny they didn't paint the stairs, they look just like the stairs in my vintage Sandcrawler.

clonehead
03-27-2004, 01:30 AM
i wonder if they are planning to do another Falcon?

Darkness Shroud
03-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Very cool pics. Slave 1 paint job looks great. Look forward to getting them. They are revamping the falcon.:)

Jargo
03-27-2004, 08:27 AM
You know that "old rope" line cracks me up, but no one's forcing you to spend your money on anything. In all cases, I know a little kid that's gonna freak out when he sees this stuff under the tree come X-mas time... so it's new rope to someone.

The sandcrawler is great. I'm really glad that it's going to have those 3 pack-ins. Super!
*not giving a damn* yawn......:zzz:

Banthaholic
03-27-2004, 09:37 AM
i wonder if they are planning to do another Falcon?
Yup, that one was announced thie past Toy Fair.

Finally, the Sandrawler is coming to my collection! Plus we're finally getting the vintageeque death star droid that's been on a few of our lists since we got the black potf-2 one.!

InsaneJediGirl
03-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Very Cool.I'm glad the ESB Slave I was repainted,and the Sandcrawler has an awesome look,even if it isnt a little larger than what I would like.Wasnt around for the Vintage so this will be just as good :beard:

Ric Olie
03-27-2004, 01:12 PM
I actually think the pait job on the sandcrawler looks poor. I don't remember the sancrawler being that dark. I haven't got my Insider yet so it may look better in the actually magazine.

Turbowars
03-27-2004, 02:47 PM
God that Crawler is so lame. The Droid is the only thing worth a few bucks. The Slave might be cool to have in the OT Box. :o

clonehead
03-27-2004, 03:31 PM
well i hope they look better in real life than they do in the picutre

TheDarthVader
03-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I am usually positive but that sandcrawler is lame-o in my opinion. It could have been much better. The figures *bah* stupid! The only one I'd want is the new droid. I am not buying any vehicles. The only ones I own are the imperial shuttle and a loose POTF2 AT-AT.

plasticfetish
03-27-2004, 08:10 PM
*not giving a damn*
We know, we know...

stillakid
03-27-2004, 08:14 PM
No real surprise that they didn't redo the Sandcrawler, but oh well. It'll still look nice next to my vintage one. Might even buy one just to "trick out" with "real" treads and other stuff.

The Slave I looks cool but I already have my vintage, the rerelease from the '90s and the more recent resculpt. I'll have more frickin' versions of Slave I than I do TIE fighters. Speaking of, why can't they skip this thing and do a better TIE with large wings? Or Maul's ship? Or some kind of Star Destroyer?

Card Dreamer
03-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Stillakid, because that would be giving the people what they want and companies are not in business to cater to their buyers....

Kidhuman
03-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Stillakid, because that would be giving the people what they want and companies are not in business to cater to their buyers....

I feel that we will get the TIE Fighter, Vader's TIE, Sith Infiltrator and soon. Hasbro does have the lisence until 2018. If they give us everything now, what willkepp us around for long periods of time then?

And they have been giving us stuff we want. The figures from this year, and some rumored stuff is what people have been asking for for years.

Card Dreamer
03-28-2004, 02:15 AM
the fact that we've had to ask for years just to get something should tell you they only listen when it will keep you buying the lesser ones you didn't ask for. ;)

Kidhuman
03-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Either way, most of us would buy the product. This year has been very OT. With the release of the DVD(which Hasbro knew about IMO) they have bombarded us with the product. Look at what we got from Jabbas Palce. Look at Hoth, Tatooine, Endor, and the SD. There has not been one PT figure. Hasbro has a game plan and Ibelieve they are sticking to it. Idont know it, but it seems to be wroking this year.

Old Fossil
03-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Glad to hear they're rereleasing the Y-Wing as a TRU exclusive. Shouldn't be too hard to find. I just hope they retool it a little bit & give it sturdier landing gear and a removeable Astromech droid!

The Target exclusives will be... Target exclusives, i.e., impossible for most collectors to find. :(

Ric Olie
03-28-2004, 02:41 PM
The sandcrawler looks much better in the magazine then it does from the scan on page 1. I doubt I'll find or buy one.

mark2d2
03-28-2004, 02:58 PM
The Target exclusives will be... Target exclusives, i.e., impossible for most collectors to find. :(

But the last few Target Exclusives WERE available online.
And even here in Scalper Central/Los Angeles,
I saw the A-wing on shelves several times. . .

PS --- I do agree with your thoughts on the Y-Wing.
I so hope that this one will have a removable droid slot!
If not though --- it will save me some coin. :crazed:

Hellboy
03-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Well I'm really happy about the new vehicles. The 3 pack-in figures with the Sandcrawler are a nice addition. Like others though I would have been much happier if the scale issues with the Sandcrawler had been addressed, but I'll take what I can get I suppose.

Dark Marble
03-28-2004, 06:20 PM
I have been looking forward to a new Boba Slave I for a while so I am not disappointed here. I guess I could take or leave the other vehicles (Darth's Tie, Y-Wing, Sandcrawler). I don't think the new Tie or Y-Wing will be different from what we already have so I might pass on them. Depends on how they look and if they are different from what we already have. No complaints here though. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-28-2004, 08:24 PM
I joined the Star Wars bandwagon in 1997 and didn't really start collecting for a while after that. I never got Darth's TIE (I saw it in TRU for cheap a looong time ago, not sure why I didn't get it) or a Boba Fett Slave I, so those will be welcome. I think they should also rerelease the Snowspeeder (either POTF2 or POTJ, probably the former) and the red A-wing (even though it was clearanced, the green one sold very well). Hasbro said, due to the response of the Jango Slave I they would rerelease it as Boba's, so it's nice that they're finally doing it. :)

But yes, the items really do look a lot better in the magazine than on here (the sandcrawler's not so freakin' dark).

bigbarada
03-28-2004, 08:28 PM
As long as Darth Vader's TIE Fighter is a COMPLETELY NEW vehicle and has nothing in common with the hideous POTF2 version, then I will be happy to buy it. If it is just a rerelease of the 1997 version then forget it.

JEDIpartner
03-29-2004, 09:38 AM
I hate to say that I am totally passing on the Sandcrawler. It's too small and too spare to command a $60USD price tag. The Vader TIE fighter, though... I might consider that one.

TheDarthVader
03-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I hate to say that I am totally passing on the Sandcrawler. It's too small and too spare to command a $60USD price tag. The Vader TIE fighter, though... I might consider that one.

Ha,ha! What do those that liked the sandcrawler think now? You're gonna have to pull $60 out of your pocket for that thing. Good point JP, too small . Let's see...$5 for two jawas and $5 for the droid makes the sandcrawler $50 by itself. Its just a vintage mold. The question: is this particular sandcrawler worth $50? I think not.

Kidhuman
03-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Think I will pass as well

Old Fossil
03-29-2004, 06:43 PM
A key selling point with all these could be the new OTC black and silver packaging... especially with the Slave I, which should look totally cool in a vintage-style box; and I am especially interested in seeing the box for the new Sandcrawler. But I agree that $60 is way too high for that vehicle, and I doubt any amount of snazzy OTC artwork could convince most of us otherwise.

Reefer Shark
03-29-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm looking forward to the Slave 1, and I might get the Y-wing & Vaders Tie (only if they're improved versions). But I will be passing on the rest.

The sandcrawler is so out of scale, it's silly looking IMO...

Silent Chazz
03-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Seeing as I already own a Vader's TIE and I dont like Y-wings (Im more of a X-wing and B-wing fan), Im Only planning on getting the SLave 1 out of this lot (as well as the Falcon and X-wing).

Jayspawn
03-29-2004, 11:14 PM
I'll probably pass on the Slave I because I like the POTF2 version just fine. The Sandcrawler is a little small but I'll probably get it anyways -my Jawas need something to ride around in.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Whoa whoa whoa . . . who ever said it was $60? I thought all prices of it right now were just speculation. We didn't even know it was confirmed until the Insider said so. I'll bet that the Falcon will be the most expensive vehicle, with the sandcrawler a little less.

Lobito
03-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Good for the Sandcrawler...but the other resculpts...ugh...they could have made the Rebel Transport, or the Sail Barge, or a Star Destroyer Playset, or Ewok Village...yup, anyway, will be good for the ones who missed those vehicles the first time.

Kidhuman
03-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Good for the Sandcrawler...but the other resculpts...ugh...they could have made the Rebel Transport, or the Sail Barge, or a Star Destroyer Playset, or Ewok Village....

And could you imagine the price tags on allof that stuff. Hasbro would be killing us.

arctangent
03-31-2004, 03:07 AM
i have seen the sandcrawler is available in the uk to preorder for 35.00 which does work out to about $60.00 but as all star wars toys are much more expensive in the uk than america i would imagine it would sell for less than that.

as for Lobito's wishes, the rebel transport is possibly the dullest star wars toy ever made in the 'olden days', jabba's sail barge would end up too big and expensive, hasbro don't make play sets any more so no hope for the death star and there aren't enough ewoks to warrant a village being made for them. and besides that everyone hates the ewoks, so why should give them a home!

JEDIpartner
03-31-2004, 09:25 AM
That Sandcrawler SHOULDN'T sell for more than $35.00 based on what it's got going on. Anyhow... I've heard/read in numerous publications and sites that it would be going for $50-60USD.

Darkross
03-31-2004, 11:53 AM
I passed on the POTF2 Vader's Tie, but if the new one is a better sculpt or all new...I'll be getting it. Sandcrawler rocks! Never saw the vintage one...but I like the looks of this one though...and 3 pack-ins ...COOL! I'm holding my breath on the Y-Wing...depending on the sculpt I may buy it. Slave 1...definitely buying that one too! I passed on alot of vehicles early on in my collecting...because I started late and then took a 2 year hiatus on collecting so I am a little behind. Hopefully the Clean Scout Trooper on the back of the Falcon packaging isn't just a tease...but will release it soon! I'd also like to see a re-sculpted, larger scale Falcon released. I'm passing on this one! Also like to see a Clean Imperial Shuttle released...so I don't have to buy a vintage one to go with my SAGA one. Time will tell!

Lobito
03-31-2004, 03:18 PM
And could you imagine the price tags on allof that stuff. Hasbro would be killing us.

The vintage rebel transport, and the vintage star destroyer playset, were not as expensive as The Millenium Falcon, the AT-AT or the Imperial Shuttle. I agree with you on the Ewok Village. Now the Sail Barge...we will have to wait if this one is ever made...but i would expect a $50-$60 price tag. Who knows?? The truth of the matter is that we would end up paying top $$$...ahh...the price of collecting.

as for Lobito's wishes, the rebel transport is possibly the dullest star wars toy ever made in the 'olden days', jabba's sail barge would end up too big and expensive, hasbro don't make play sets any more so no hope for the death star and there aren't enough ewoks to warrant a village being made for them. and besides that everyone hates the ewoks, so why should give them a home!

well...what can i say...not everyone hates the ewoks. If any of these toys ever gets released, just dont buy them, that way u wont get bored!!

vadersvette
03-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Is the Slave I a repaint of the AOTC one or the original? What about Vader's TIE--is it new or a rehash? If so, I'm going to have pass on everything except the Sandcrawler. Is it the same mold as the vintage one? Is the droid RA-7, and is he a repaint of someone else? :confused:

Kidhuman
03-31-2004, 05:20 PM
Yes, I believe Slave 1 is just a revamped version of the AOTC model.

jjreason
03-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Whoa whoa whoa . . . who ever said it was $60? I thought all prices of it right now were just speculation. We didn't even know it was confirmed until the Insider said so. I'll bet that the Falcon will be the most expensive vehicle, with the sandcrawler a little less.

I thought some sites had advertised preorders for the Sandcrawler at 59.99 and 69.99 US, not sure which ones. I'll poke around and see if I can't post a link or two for display. A very ugly price for this set in my opinion.

EDITED: I found my quote for the price: Kebco's members newsletter #4 shows they're offering the set for 69.99 plus shipping. In my experience, they don't charge an exorbitant amount over retail, so I'd expect to see these in stores for either 59.99 or 64.99. Not good.

arctangent
04-01-2004, 04:03 AM
well...what can i say...not everyone hates the ewoks. If any of these toys ever gets released, just dont buy them, that way u wont get bored!!

the ewoks comment was meant to be tongue in cheek :confused: ! as for the rebel transport, i probably would pass on it. when it first came out it was basically just a carry case and didn't do anything else.

as for jabba's sail barge, to make it big enough to be at least partially realistic i think it would have to be as long as the naboo royal starship from episode 1 and i can't see it selling for any less than $100 dollars. besides, as its never been done before it would have to be a completely new sculpt and knowing hasbro's policy at the moment i would bet hell would freeze over first :ermm: . i would love one if they did it though!

Is the Slave I a repaint of the AOTC one or the original? What about Vader's TIE--is it new or a rehash? If so, I'm going to have pass on everything except the Sandcrawler. Is it the same mold as the vintage one? Is the droid RA-7, and is he a repaint of someone else?

i too have read that slave 1 is a repaint of the episode 2 version. given that its against hasbro's religion to give us any new vehilcles and they are re-releasing to death this year i would imagine that vader's tie will be a re-release of the potf version. the sandcrawler uses the mould from the original release in the 70's and i believe the RA-7 droid is a repaint of the death star droid.

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 09:17 AM
I bet you the only reason they are re-releasing for the end of this year is to work on the all new sculpts for EPIII. They are most likely concentrating on that line becuase it will make them a ton of money. Iknow it stinks that we are getting shafted with rehashes, but it is also good, because then we can save the unspent money for midnight madness

vadersvette
04-02-2004, 03:03 PM
i too have read that slave 1 is a repaint of the episode 2 version. given that its against hasbro's religion to give us any new vehilcles and they are re-releasing to death this year i would imagine that vader's tie will be a re-release of the potf version. the sandcrawler uses the mould from the original release in the 70's and i believe the RA-7 droid is a repaint of the death star droid.
Yeah thats what I thought! :rolleyes:

chrisc
04-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Vader TIE I can go without but I can always us more Y- Wings I love them so much. I would also buy the new slave one and set my POTF one on fire.

jedimarvin
04-13-2004, 11:41 AM
I actually really like the Sandcrawler. I've never evens een the vinatge one in person let alone owned it so it's something new to me. Sure the scale is quite small but it still looks good and it's no worse then the Falcon.

The Slave I looks great. My only issue is, will Boba fit in it? I don't have my Jango Slave i in front of me but I seem to remember the seat being kind of snug, especially for someone with a molded on jet pack.

Deffinatly picking up the Y-Wing...and any other rebel fighter releases at that rate. I'm just not too sure baout the X-Wing. Why switch back to that horrible (yet classic) sculpt when we have have a wonderfully scaled version? I guess it is ebcause it's classic.

I'm also curious about Vader's TIE. Thje pOTF version just wasn't right but I'm not sure how hasbro could improve w/o resculpting it.

Finally, some vehicles / playsets I'd still like to see:
-Cloud Car (probably happening some time soon)
-Speeder Bike (repaint of AOTC deluxe version with an articulated Scout Trooper)
-Ewok Village (vintage mold was pretty good...just a new paint job and some add-ons - comes with a couple Ewoks, including a wokling)
-Clone Fighter - (from the Cartoon - I know not OTC, but pleeeeeeeaaasssseee. It's soooo cool!! - maybe it will show up in EIII)