PDA

View Full Version : Eeth Koth

bigbarada
12-12-2001, 07:35 PM
My brother just got this figure and he tells me that there is absolutely NO leg articulation on the figure. His waist twists but his legs and lower torso are one solid piece.:mad:

Does anyone have this figure to confirm this? (not saying I don't believe my own brother but I haven't seen the figure first hand) I think this is totally lame for Habro to take such a huge step backward in articulation. I hope this isn't something we can expect for Ep2 figures.

Wolfwood319
12-12-2001, 07:39 PM
I heard poor articulation, but I didn't think it was leg-less articulation. Now that you mention E2 though, the Eeth Koth pose/figure looks similar to what we've seen of the new Obi-Wan on the blue card. Only time will I guess.

mylow thehutt
12-12-2001, 07:42 PM
Don't worry I heard the eeth koth figure is just a littel privew of the new gen Y figures.plus we will be getting a new eeth for ep2.so don't fear my friend.;)

Wolfwood319
12-12-2001, 07:52 PM
You should fear, if all the new "gen y," or whatever the heck they're calling them have really bad action poses, with McFarlane-esque articulation.

If Eeth Koth has no leg articulation, and that is a preview of what is to come in 2002, count me out.

Jargo
12-12-2001, 09:36 PM
But i was under the impression that the GEN-Y figures were the new 9" ones. The ones with lots more cheesey poses and not so much articulation as - well, poses. These are the new ploy from Hasbro to attract the "emerging teen market" as they so succinctly put it. Which if I'm not mistaken is mostly catered for by McFarlane and companieslike that because as everyone knows teens prefer statues to action figures............ I mean SHYEAH! like everyone doesn't already know that!!!! :crazed:

Yeah, so the GEN-Y is the 9" line of - statues.......:rolleyes:

As for Eeth Koth, I like the sculpt for what a sculpt is, a lot of hard work and attention to detail. But I don't see why they sell these rock solid no articulation figures as action figures.
He's a dust collector, cuz you can't pose him so you end up not moving him and he just collects dead skin cells and belly fluff. Whereas the figures with articulation are the ones you pick up and re-pose as you pass the shelf, so they get dusted every time you do that. At least they do in my house.
Sure he's a preview of episode two and Hasbro will surely guage the sales of this figure to see if their new policy of action stances on all figures will pay off. Personally I think it won't.
I'm only buying an Eeth Koth if they make a new one in a neutral pose. Or at least more neutral than this.

Rollo Tomassi
12-12-2001, 09:55 PM
Pretty soon we will just get PVC figures at $8 a pop... thanks Hasbr:greedy:

GNT
12-13-2001, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
You should fear, if all the new "gen y," or whatever the hell they're calling them have really bad action poses, with McFarlane-esque articulation.

They wont be around for long I can promise you that :)

Wolfwood319
12-13-2001, 07:50 AM
The Star Wars line will never work as a McFarlane-esque series.

One of the perks of Star Wars are the fact that they are small enough to have somewhat-scaled vehicles for them.

Didn't they try something like this before with the epic-force line? That didn't turn out too well if I remember. Not to mention those 9'' POTJ things collecting dust at your local TRU.

The reason that 9'' "statues" work for the McFarlane line is the fact that those are generally used for as display pieces. Like the Movie Maniacs, I don't have my Ash fighting my Evil Ash, instead they're just there on my shelf, looking cool. It doesn't work for Star Wars, especially since we've grown accustomed to 3 3/4''.

I also don't think that Hasbro will be able to lure the "emerging teen market" at all. Even with E2, Star Wars' fan base is pretty much set, they aren't going to lure in new prospects with a McFarlene styled approach. If they're not into it now, chances are, they won't be.

Obi-Don
12-17-2001, 08:39 AM
I'll get him and I'm not to crazy about the nonmoveable legs,but he is a must for my collection.Who knows,I might do some changes on him with the spare parts I have.

xboywonder
12-17-2001, 10:56 AM
I know that Eth and Q Amidala are two totally different types of figures... but the new queen from the FX-7 wave does not have articulated legs either. Not that she really needs them but... I guess it's hasbro's theory that if you can't see the legs, under a gown or robe, why move them.

I will probably still buy Eth Koth because he is a jedi and all... but this is a major step back for hasbro.

JEDIpartner
12-17-2001, 11:41 AM
Yeah... I kinda feel that the new Queen Amidala figure is a little different from the Eeth Koth figure as well. Although I can kinda see why they sculpted her the way they did- it still would have been nice to sit her Royal butt in the chair they gave us with the Royal Starship (since this is kinda where you see her in this dress!!!)

Eeth, on the other hand, is more of a figure that requires action AND passive stances. Tsk tsk, Hasbro... if this rumour is true... you did a bad, bad thing. :frus:

bigbarada
12-18-2001, 12:40 AM
Well, I can now confirm this as I am at my brother's house right now and am looking at his Eeth Koth figure. He has as much leg ariculation as the POTF2 Emperor's Royal Guard.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can almost guarantee that this is Hasbro's way of gauging our reaction to see if we even notice. If we let this slide then it will become more and more common. Shame on you Hasbro! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JEDIpartner
12-18-2001, 09:48 AM
Bloody buggery bastards!!!

Jargo
12-18-2001, 02:48 PM
:eek:

evenflow
12-18-2001, 04:14 PM
I am not liking the Gen Y figures. I hope they don't do all the fgures like that. :( :mad: :eek: :cry: :dead:

Dryanta
12-18-2001, 04:35 PM
I guess I don't understand why Hasbro is trying to appeal to a market that,in my opinion, doesn't exist yet. Wait a few years for the EP1 Kids to be teenagers.As a collector from the beginning(1977) I have no interest in anything but 3 3/4" toys that have worked so well for 25 years.

Darth Rage
12-31-2001, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
Don't worry I heard the eeth koth figure is just a littel privew of the new gen Y figures.plus we will be getting a new eeth for ep2.so don't fear my friend.;)

Yeah and there will also be hundreds of senator amidala figures too... so save up your money!:crazed:

Jargo
12-31-2001, 11:19 AM
The GEN-Y figures are the nine inch figures and bear no relation to this Eeth Koth figure.
The point with thid figure is that it paves the way for Hasbro to get lazy and just not bother with articulation, thinking we'll be blow away by the detail in the sculpt.
Hasbro have said over this figure that it opens the door on a more action posed period for the figures. More of the episode two figures wil be posed this way. The line will become four inch plastic toy soldiers like those old fashioned ones you used to get that were all one colour and had a stand attached permanently but were only a couple of inches high.
Personally I view my figures that way anyway. I don't play with them per se but like to move them around the shelf they occupy or fiddle with the legs or whatever while I use the PC.
I think the arrogance of Hasbro comes into play when you consider that they must surely now accept that it's mostly adults and young adults who collect. Their new policy must be based on a false assumption that adults simply display in the boxes or on shelves in display cabinets. They fail to take into account that a greater proportion of us collectors prefer to handle the toys and pose them and actually - god forbid - play with them!

But you can expect more figures like Koth in the near future. Take my advice and don't buy the crap. Buy only the articulated figures and send hasbro the message that we don't like the direction they're taking.

JEDIpartner
12-31-2001, 12:22 PM
I completely agree with you on this one Jargo! I basically said the same thing in one of the "Dear Hasbro" threads I posted. Someone said that they would just buy this figure anyhow. I feel that we could make our displeasure known if we boycott such horrid sculpts! I am very disappointed in the direction these figures are going. I never leave MY figures in the boxes as I like to "move them around", pose them and set them up in the ships I bought!!! With these figures, you can't do that.

"Hi! I'm Eeth Koth riding aboard the Royal Starship and I'm gonna kick your butt if you say or do anything I don't like because I have a permanently Crappy attitude!!!" Duh. :frus:

Darth Rage
01-01-2002, 03:16 AM
The good thing about the eeth koth figure is that he looks vicious!
unlike the other jedi council figures who look like alter boys :D

Isnt eeth koth a zebrak like darth maul?