PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to preorder the OT DVDs?

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 07:33 PM
With the Star Wars Classic Trilogy DVD set coming this Fall, several e-tailers have begun offering preorders for the set, many with discounts off the suggested retail price of $70 and/or other incentives (for example, Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00003CXCT/sirstsguidetosta/103-3504513-4034222) is currently offering the set at $42 plus free shipping). Despite being the controversial "Special Edition" version of the trilogy, it doesn't take the Force powers of a Jedi to foresee that this DVD set will be in high demand by the time it hits retail in late September.

So with that in mind, will you be preordering the DVDs, waiting to see if there will be a better offer - perhaps with different incentives - or holding out entirely for whatever reason?

mini-rock
03-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Yep! Pre-ordered five minutes ago from DVD Empire.

Beast
03-30-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm going to pre-order. But probably from a local retailer. I think prices will be pretty competitive upon release. Probably similar to the online Pre-Order prices. I'll have to check Media Play on Friday. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
I'll wait for retail. What's the rush? It's not like I don't know every frame already. :D Besides, is it some kind of ****ing-contest to see who is the bigger fan? "I got mine firr..erst, nah nah!" :p

jedihunter25
03-30-2004, 08:27 PM
I'll buy mine in the store instead of waiting for the delivery (which can be days and sometimes weeks after it goes on sale)- unless they can deliver it at 12:01 A.M. to my door step the day you can buy it- which will never happen.

bobafrett
03-30-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure. I have a coupon for $10 off at Amazon.com, but it expires tomorrow. If the DVD doesn't come out until September, I don't know if I would be able to use it. Also, I don't have enough of a spending limit on any credit card to pre-order (I know they won't charge until the day it ships), and I'm moving in a little over a month, and I'm not locked into a permanent address yet.

I guess I'll wait to see what else comes down the line.

Reefer Shark
03-30-2004, 08:57 PM
I never pre-order movies. They can almost always be found at multiple places, and at extremely competitive prices upon release. The only flick that I can remember not being able to find on release was Scarface (and even then, plenty more were around within a few days).

I'll be buying in in the store, along with all my other DVD's! :D

Darth Trymybestus
03-30-2004, 09:09 PM
This won't be hard to find. I'll probably pre-order near the time.

Who's going to watch the movies with commentary first? :)

James Boba Fettfield
03-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Did it this afternoon when I saw the news at the digital bits.

LusiferSam
03-31-2004, 12:52 AM
I'm not the pre-order type. I'll pick it up at a store after it comes out.

Kidhuman
03-31-2004, 01:08 AM
When it hits retail, buy it I will.

plasticfetish
03-31-2004, 03:31 AM
"Nah, I'll just pick it up in stores"

Yeah, I don't think this is going to be a hard one to find. They'll probably have a mountain of them at every store. No big rush.

mastermatt24
03-31-2004, 10:29 AM
I dont know... It all depends on the price. Heck, if I can get it for $40 insted of $70 of course im going to pre-order it. For now im just going to wait to hear what the other prices are.

Silent Chazz
03-31-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't plan on spending a dime of my money in this DVD set. Why you ask? Well it comes out the 21st of September, 4 days before my birthday (25th). Therefore, I won't be spending a dime on this set, My PARENTS will. lol

Mandalorian Candidat
03-31-2004, 12:28 PM
There's really no reason to preorder it unless you're in a situation like bobafrett and have an expiring online coupon and can get it cheaper. Amazon is truly hilarious saying that the SRP is $70. I never once saw the Indy set that high and it's equivalent to the SE set. I guess they have to get people to shell out $$$ to keep that business going any way they can.

decadentdave
03-31-2004, 02:39 PM
I am going to wait because usually the day of release, Best Buy and Wal-Mart offer very competitive discounts lower than online merchants. I also wouldn't doubt if Best Buy offers an exclusive promotional bonus DVD similar to the 5th disc on the Indiana Jones box set to attract more customers. I ended up having to cancel my pre-order when I found out about that.

Beast
03-31-2004, 02:43 PM
There's really no reason to preorder it unless you're in a situation like bobafrett and have an expiring online coupon and can get it cheaper. Amazon is truly hilarious saying that the SRP is $70. I never once saw the Indy set that high and it's equivalent to the SE set. I guess they have to get people to shell out $$$ to keep that business going any way they can.
I don't see where that's hilarious. That's the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. And if you'll check the Indiana Jones boxset, it has the same MSRP. Of course unless you shop at someplace like Suncoat, you never pay that much. That's why you either pre-order or buy the first week of release. It's typically cheaper that way. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OC47150
03-31-2004, 02:48 PM
I'm going to wait to see what freebies/exclusives are offered along with the set.

TheDarthVader
03-31-2004, 03:13 PM
I THINK I am going to wait until I see it in stores. It depends on the speculation of price points for places such as Wal Mart and Best Buy.

El Chuxter
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
I figure with an SRP of $70, it'll be in stores for $39.99, so I'll wait. Unless someone decides to do a cool bonus for pre-ordering, like all the stores did for the TPM video, which is doubtful.

mini-rock
03-31-2004, 04:01 PM
There's really no reason to preorder it unless you're in a situation like bobafrett and have an expiring online coupon and can get it cheaper.

I live away from the city, and the nearest store is Walmart (20 miles) and honestly walmart is beneath me to shop at, so that's why I preorder.

However, my supplier in Seattle sometimes get's stock in 2-4 weeks in advance so I will cancel the preorder if she were to get the boxset in early. :)

thomasandrea-call
03-31-2004, 05:02 PM
I think that pe-order is fine but as one person had said, it is the shipping that kills you. What good are savings when you do not get the pre-order on the same day as you can buy it at the stores. As another had stated it is not like we have not seen it before. Unless George put in deleted scenes other then what is on the fourth disk.

mastermatt24
03-31-2004, 07:02 PM
I live away from the city, and the nearest store is Walmart (20 miles) and honestly walmart is beneath me to shop at, so that's why I preorder.

Ok ok. I no that Wal Mart can have some weird people there but heck why not? I can see that it would be fun to get the DVD's early, but if you could get them cheaper at Wal Mart isnt it worth making your way through the people, and woth the wait, to get it for less? I dont no about your store, but mine isnt that bad to where I wouldnt "lower" myself to go in... Ive found some good things there

JediTricks
03-31-2004, 07:59 PM
The one thing I was very displeased about the day Ep 2 came out on DVD was that the widescreen version was either sold out or never even ordered just about every store I went. I'm not sure if I'll preorder or not, but that's the one thing that has me leaning towards preordering (plus, it comes out after my birthday so the best I could hope for is getting it for xmas ;)).

mini-rock
03-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Ok ok. I no that Wal Mart can have some weird people there but heck why not? I can see that it would be fun to get the DVD's early, but if you could get them cheaper at Wal Mart isnt it worth making your way through the people, and woth the wait, to get it for less? I dont no about your store, but mine isnt that bad to where I wouldnt "lower" myself to go in... Ive found some good things there

LOL! Well it's not the people mastermatt, it's the environment, the WM atmosphere. I'm sure they have some great stuff, but it's just not for me. Another topic for a different thread though. :)

Also, getting them at WM or anywhere else other than online doesn't necessarily mean it will be cheaper. Typically online DVD prices are compareable, and 99 percent of the time it's in your hands on or before release date. Even if it was cheaper though that's when you have to ask yourself, "is the money I would save worth my time?" For me, saving an hour or two out of my day is worth a hell-of-alot more than five or ten bucks.

Everyone is different though, and I'm not here to try and convince everyone that preordering DVD's online is the way to go, it's just my personal preference. :)

~L

2-1B
04-01-2004, 02:27 AM
I'll be waiting at 11pm for a midnight store opening and when the doors are opened, I'm going to run inside, grab a VHS copy, and scream "I'm first! I'm first!" :crazed:

Preordering online can be a wonderful thing. For example, AOTC on DVD from Wal-Mart.com - they were doing a promo in which the buyer received a 6 pack of exclusive Widevision cards. Honestly, I would be really upset right now if I missed those cards because I'm a completist. :D

As for online shipping, places like amazon will do free shipping if you order $25 or more. No big deal for me.

stillakid
04-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I'll be waiting at 11pm for a midnight store opening and when the doors are opened, I'm going to run inside, grab a VHS copy, and scream "I'm first! I'm first!" :crazed:

Preordering online can be a wonderful thing. For example, AOTC on DVD from Wal-Mart.com - they were doing a promo in which the buyer received a 6 pack of exclusive Widevision cards. Honestly, I would be really upset right now if I missed those cards because I'm a completist. :D

As for online shipping, places like amazon will do free shipping if you order $25 or more. No big deal for me.

Does Walmart still only sell Fullscreen or have they relented and also sell Wide?

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 11:38 AM
I have bought some widescreen editions at Wal-mart this year actually.

Beast
04-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Reposting from other thread. We have some early specs from DVD File. Sounds good, other then the lack of Ford or Hammil on the Audio Commentary track. I wonder if they even asked Mark, since you would think he would jump at the chance. Since he's always been a major fan of the series. Odd that they get Carrie Fisher. Since she's always seemed to not like talking about the movies. :)

Alright, alright, no more April Fool's jokes. (Really, this is serious.) Just announced from Fox Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm are the complete specs for the upcoming Star Wars Trilogy box sets, hitting a galaxy near you on September 21st. (Perhaps you have heard of them?)

Available in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each includes Dolby Digital Surround EX tracks, plus additional English, French and Spanish Dolby 2.0 surround options and English, French and Spanish subtitles.

The set will also contain audio commentaries for each film: George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher (A New Hope); Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher (The Empire Strikes Back); and Lucas, Kasdan, Burtt, Muren, and Fisher again (on Return of the Jedi). Other extras include the bonus fourth disc with "The Most Comprehensive Feature-Length Documentary Ever Produced On the Star Wars Saga" plus "Never Before Seen Footage From the Making Of All Three Films." Expect more possible extras to be announced soon, and retail for either box will list for $69.95.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-02-2004, 01:07 AM
stillakid, Wal-Mart.com had both FS and WS available in late 2002 but I remember seeing that most of their in-store copies seemed to be FS.

As for other titles, I agree with kidhuman because I recently checked out some new releases just out of curiosity and they had both versions available.

I've read reports that WM have phased out WS but it's not true in my area.

Beast
04-02-2004, 01:11 AM
For new movies, WM usually will carry both. But will stock less of the WS versions. For older ones, it seems they only get in the one version. I know the one by me only has the FS version of new SE 'Planet of the Apes'. I'm sure in this case, they will have plenty of both versions. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
04-02-2004, 09:25 AM
I'm going to wait to get it in the stores. There are ususally great deals at some of the outlets here and I don't expect anything different for SW. In fact, with the huge interest in this set I'm sure there will be some outstanding deals to be had that first day/week.

scruffziller
04-02-2004, 01:26 PM
At WM you got to kneel down and grab the WS version off the bottom row of the pallet stackbase.:D
There is like 6 rows of DVDs total on the display and the 5 top rows are FOOL screen where the bottom row is only where the WS is. I'll wait of course. I work nights at WM and they drop the pallets at midnight. I take break 10 minutes later and whamo!!!!!! 10% discount.:)

The reason there seems to be only FOOL screen is because all the WS is gone, because I bought them all HEE HEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazed:

jjreason
04-02-2004, 01:54 PM
$42 US with free shipping is a tempting deal, but I'm going to hold off and buy it at retail on the release date. That way I can watch what I want asap. If I wind up paying a few dollars more to get it right away, I can live with that. We've been waiting long enough.

joesdomain
04-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I plan on pre-ordering my copy through wal-mart or target. Whichever has the cheapest price. Wal-mart usually is the lowest price when it comes to dvd's.

CooLJoE
04-13-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm going to pre-order mine through my local Blockbuster Video. Not the cheapest place, but I'm good friends with most of the staff including managers, so I'll be able to grab it at midnight. I've done it before, they just stay open a bit longer just for me to grab movies that come out the next day (its legal...I buy them the day of release...12:01am :D ).

Its not a contest to me, but I like having it as soon as I can. That and I don't want to wake up early and head to the local stores just to see a huge line or empty shelves (whichever one it ends up being). Plus I don't like waking up early.