PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones Top 50 of all time

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Just found this on my browser Homepage. Rolling Stone dropped a 50 greatest of All time list on us. Check it out. :beard: (http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=2846)

Click the :beard:

James Boba Fettfield
04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
I'm glad Buddy Holly made it high on the list.

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 12:09 AM
While the list looks pretty decent to me, with the names and all up there. SOme are out of order a bit, but Ican not see Public Enemy ranking higher than Run DMC.

Your thoughts, while scratching your :beard: perhaps?

James Boba Fettfield
04-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Well, since the :beard: reminded me of metal, I have to ask: Where is Black Sabbath on that list?

Exhaust Port
04-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Black Sabbath or Ozzy should be on there somewhere. Metal gets the shaft once again...

On the list I disagree with Nirvana being on there. If nothing else, put them lower on the list. There were very influential for their time but where do we see unique Nirvana influences today? Heck, you can go a good week or so without hearing any of their songs on the classic rocks stations. As we distance ourselves from the early 90's and the grunge rock era, the Nirvana sound seems oddly out of place. I would say Soundgarden has had a longer influence with their sound being very prominent in such bands as Queens of the Stoneage.

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 09:05 AM
The lack of Ozzy's name is rather intriguing. He shoud have been mentioned. Alsowhere is Floyd?

I guess when you are tired you dont realize the things that are missing. :beard:

arctangent
04-01-2004, 09:39 AM
The lack of Ozzy's name is rather intriguing. He shoud have been mentioned. Alsowhere is Floyd?

troobs, they should both be in there.

I guess when you are tired you dont realize the things that are missing. :beard:

thats your famous non-use of sarcasm again isn't it kh ;) ?

Exhaust Port
04-01-2004, 10:34 AM
No Pink Floyd? Good catch. It's not like The Dark Side of the Moon has been popular at all.

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 10:38 AM
No Pink Floyd? Good catch. It's not like The Dark Side of the Moon has been popular at all.

I know, only on the top 200 for about 20 years.

stillakid
04-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Black Sabbath or Ozzy should be on there somewhere. Metal gets the shaft once again...

On the list I disagree with Nirvana being on there. If nothing else, put them lower on the list. There were very influential for their time but where do we see unique Nirvana influences today? Heck, you can go a good week or so without hearing any of their songs on the classic rocks stations. As we distance ourselves from the early 90's and the grunge rock era, the Nirvana sound seems oddly out of place. I would say Soundgarden has had a longer influence with their sound being very prominent in such bands as Queens of the Stoneage.

Agreed. Nirvana didn't influence squat despite the unsubstantiated claims to the contrary. They were the flavor of the month, overplayed corporate tripe along with Pearl Jam. Both fairly quickly dismissed from the airwaves once the grooves wore out. Sure, a scant few impressionable teens looking for a bleeding heart suicide victim to idolize have tried to turn Cobain into the new Jim Morrison or something, but the guy was just a lucky garage band noise maker. Nothing more, nothing less. :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
04-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Good point Stilla. If the music guru's must claim that Nirvana was legendary (and made the list) then were are the Doors? Personally I felt that Nirvana's albums after Nevermind were declining in impact. I would only hold Nevermind as their crowning achievement but one album doesn't make them legends in the field. This is the same band that released Bleached (their first album). Ugh.

El Chuxter
04-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Little Richard is way too high.

Johnny Cash is way too low.

And who is Muddy Watters? Is he any kin to Muddy Waters, or just knocking off on the name of someone who should've ranked higher. :rolleyes:

I also am noticing a considerable lack of Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, and Eric Clapton.

LusiferSam
04-01-2004, 01:26 PM
I saw list last night and was also wondering were Pink Floyd, C, N and S, and some others were. Elvis and Bob Dylan I think should have swapped places. Buddy Holly should have been Buddy Holly and the Crickets. But I was glad to see a number of early people on there like Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, and Bo Diddley (I need to get this stuff on CD some time). And I think a few like Bob Marley and The Velvet Underground ranked too high and the Beach Boys and Led Zeppelin ranked too low. Over all one of the better lists I've seen from Rolling Stone.

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Little Richard is way too high.

Johnny Cash is way too low.

And who is Muddy Watters? Is he any kin to Muddy Waters, or just knocking off on the name of someone who should've ranked higher. :rolleyes:

I also am noticing a considerable lack of Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, and Eric Clapton.

I knew you were gonna ask where is Slowhand? He is a noteable left off.

arctangent
04-02-2004, 03:13 AM
Good point Stilla. If the music guru's must claim that Nirvana was legendary (and made the list) then were are the Doors? Personally I felt that Nirvana's albums after Nevermind were declining in impact.

don't you mean album? they did only release one studio album after nevermind.

This is the same band that released Bleached (their first album). Ugh.

er, that'll be bleach. nevermind really only sold well because it had relatively catchy tunes. nirvana were in the right place at the right time.

Kidhuman
04-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Good point Stilla. If the music guru's must claim that Nirvana was legendary (and made the list) then were are the Doors? Personally I felt that Nirvana's albums after Nevermind were declining in impact. I would only hold Nevermind as their crowning achievement but one album doesn't make them legends in the field. This is the same band that released Bleached (their first album). Ugh.

The Doors are #41 on the list, way to low in my eyes. They did alot more for music than Nirvana, I can admit that. They played an important part in phsyedelic(sp?) rock. No band from the ninties deserves to be above 35 IMO.

Exhaust Port
04-02-2004, 09:19 AM
don't you mean album? they did only release one studio album after nevermind.
I was including Incesticide as a post-Nevermind album. Albeit a b-sides collection it was still a release of "new" material.

Your right about the title correction, it's Bleach. I listened to a tape of it back in '91 and never bothered with it again. I guess the name was also forgettable.

arctangent
04-02-2004, 10:13 AM
I was including Incesticide as a post-Nevermind album. Albeit a b-sides collection it was still a release of "new" material.

sorry, i forgot about that one

Your right about the title correction, it's Bleach. I listened to a tape of it back in '91 and never bothered with it again. I guess the name was also forgettable.

i don't own bleach but i have heard it and from what i recall the production does sound a bit muffled.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-05-2004, 11:11 PM
I have the issue at home and usually their lists are way off the mark, but I would agree with most of the people included on the list.

Let me say first, that the title of the list is called "The Immortals" meaning not necessairly the people/bands that are the greatest, but probably leaning towards more influential/ground-breaking/lasting. That is why I think you see a lot of deceased members/who departed way too early, on the list such as Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, Jim Morrison of the Doors, Janis Joplin, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye and a few others. Their death has contributed to an aura of immortality around these people, that will take time to cease.

The only bone I have to pick is with the rankings. Why are number rankings important? The only thing they do is cause debate. If they just assembled the list of 50 without ranking then I think the list would have been more closer to perfection.

What I also like about this issue is the fact that other artists wrote their opinions on the immortals. For instance, Billy Joel wrote about Elton John, Smokey Robinson wrote about Marvin Gaye, Shirley Manson about Patti Smith and Little Richard was the only one to write about himself.

Kidhuman
04-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Wasnt Garcia left off of there. I do believe they were one of the greatest all time 50.