PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done differently?

jjreason
04-01-2004, 09:20 AM
In this case my choice would have been entirely different in the direction of Anakin. I would have had him play it very unemotional - totally devoid of any emotion in fact - including the reintroduction to Padme. Switch it around so she's pursuing him, he's uncaring. That way him losing it with the Tuskens would have stood out more, and would have been in stark contrast to the character we'd seen until that point - including the way he was played by Jake Lloyd. It would have looked more like he was "on the right path" to becoming a Jedi, and would have made the start of a rift between him and Obi Wan another interesting on screen moment, Obi Wan aghast at Ani thinking on his own as opposed to yelling at him again for thinking along different lines. It's more interesting to see relationships change, in my opinion.

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Well, they had to show his arrogance somewhere JJ. Him always butting in with his 2 cents was nice. Aftyerall, they had to live up to the "I thought I could train him as well as Yoda" line from the OT. They had to show some conflict.

They could of gotten away with Padme sweatin' Ani. But all in all it was good to show his defiance towards the council and rules.

The whole Tusken thing to me showed that he can and will use his power to his advantage. He will do anything he can to get his way.

stillakid
04-01-2004, 11:27 AM
In this case my choice would have been entirely different in the direction of Anakin. I would have had him play it very unemotional - totally devoid of any emotion in fact - including the reintroduction to Padme. Switch it around so she's pursuing him, he's uncaring. That way him losing it with the Tuskens would have stood out more, and would have been in stark contrast to the character we'd seen until that point - including the way he was played by Jake Lloyd. It would have looked more like he was "on the right path" to becoming a Jedi, and would have made the start of a rift between him and Obi Wan another interesting on screen moment, Obi Wan aghast at Ani thinking on his own as opposed to yelling at him again for thinking along different lines. It's more interesting to see relationships change, in my opinion.
That's an interesting idea. If nothing else, he would have come off less as the whiny bipolar brat that he is and the transition to the relatively "play it cool" Darth Vader version of him would have been smoother. Yeah, I think you're on to something here! :)

Remake anyone?

2-1B
04-01-2004, 01:54 PM
I love brats. Johnsonville are my favorite kind.

I would have left in the scenes with Padme's family and I would have cut Threepio's tomfoolery in the Droid Factory.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-01-2004, 05:41 PM
I like this one more than TPM, which I like a lot anyway. Some things though.
*Padmé. Some of her lines were really stupid, or Natalie can't act, I don't know (maybe a bit of both?).
*C-3PO. His lame puns and plays on words are much better than the TPM poo-poo jokes, but still, they aren't great. I kind of have a problem with him landing on that droid in the factory, I liked it a lot better in the IMAX version when he landed right on the conveyor belt.

JediTricks
04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
that's a good choice there jjreason, a small writing change that would have had great affect on the feel of the film.

I personally really don't like this film at all. Even though I can't stand TPM, it at least captured my attention, AOTC doesn't work for me in so many ways. What I would have done differently as a moviegoer is stayed home, saved the money I spent on the tickets and waited for DVD. As a filmmaker, I would have a very large list of changes but don't much feel like fleshing 'em out, unlike TPM where I spent much time fleshing out those ideas of mine.

evenflow
04-02-2004, 09:30 AM
I know i am going totally off topic here but I hate the whole computer animated Apple/Pear scene. When Padme bites into it, it just looks aweful.

jjreason
04-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Both the apple part and Ani Shaak Surfing didn't suit me in terms of CG blending or whatever. My theory is that CG still blends better into darker backgrounds, anything against stark lighting (the meadow was in broad daylight, and there was bright light coming through the window of the dining room). Superhero costumes are the same way, they need to make these things happen in semi-darkness if they want them to look as good as possible. I think that's why Coruscant and (heaven forbid) the droid factory look a little better than those two other scenes.

All that being said, I was fairly impressed with Lama Su, and that was about as starkly lit as could be. There are exceptions to every rule.

stillakid
04-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Both the apple part and Ani Shaak Surfing didn't suit me in terms of CG blending or whatever. My theory is that CG still blends better into darker backgrounds, anything against stark lighting (the meadow was in broad daylight, and there was bright light coming through the window of the dining room). Superhero costumes are the same way, they need to make these things happen in semi-darkness if they want them to look as good as possible. I think that's why Coruscant and (heaven forbid) the droid factory look a little better than those two other scenes.

All that being said, I was fairly impressed with Lama Su, and that was about as starkly lit as could be. There are exceptions to every rule.

Explain Mighty Joe Young then.

I was having this CG discussion with a friend the other day as we tried to figure out some of the upcoming Van Helsing problems/successes. I think your last statement is on the right track. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to why some FX work and others don't. Is it the software? Or the skill of the animator himself? Both? Something else?

Undoubtedly one day it will be figured out, but until that time, it would be nice if filmmakers would exercise some restraint in the use of CG. It's a fun tool and all, but it is just a tool amongst many. If CG isn't working out, you find another way...mechanical fx maybe or just cut the shot altogether. Or shoot and edit around the problem if need be. Lucas's quest to sell CG as the saviour of moviemaking backfires everytime a bad effect makes it to screen. The whole of AOTC is testament to that. The story suffered as did the acting and just about everything else. It's really too bad. It didn't have to be that way. :cry:

jjreason
04-02-2004, 01:48 PM
I haven't seen Mighty Joe Young, so I'll have to withhold any comments... I'm not even sure I know what it's about (some sort of monkey trouble, no?).

The CG in Lord of the Rings worked a lot better for me (minus Gollum in a few shots, but I got more used to him the more I watched the movies), and I think it's because you're not looking at JUST cg at any given time. The battle on Naboo's surface in TPM has a very cartoony feel, you can tell none of it is really there. Just too much. It's possible that models in the shots might have helped, but hard to say for sure. Watching the OT and PT it becomes starkly apparent that realism and grit are better created with models, for the time being.

I'm really hoping that Episode III goes a long way in tying the trilogies together visually. I think they'll try to do this as much as they can; with any luck a generous dose of grit and grime will be included as they war will have been on for some time by the opening of that movie.

BoShek
04-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Did anyone ever ask GL why the droid factory scene looked so bad/fake?

rbaumhauer
04-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Did anyone ever ask GL why the droid factory scene looked so bad/fake?

Probably because it was a very late addition to the movie and was thus almost entirely CG. Dramatically, the sequence is pretty pointless, but that's about par for the course for Lucas these days.....

jjreason
04-04-2004, 06:54 PM
I can see the value in the whole Droid Factory scene: our protagonists get caught be Jango, and it sets up the comedy relief factor for the final battle (C3PO with the Battle Droid mix up). I don't think it needed to be nearly so long, to me it interrupts the flow of the story too much. I always skip it when I watch the movie these days.

stillakid
04-04-2004, 09:30 PM
I can see the value in the whole Droid Factory scene: our protagonists get caught be Jango, and it sets up the comedy relief factor for the final battle (C3PO with the Battle Droid mix up). I don't think it needed to be nearly so long, to me it interrupts the flow of the story too much. I always skip it when I watch the movie these days.

But it introduces more questions than it's worth. Such as, why isn't Anakin concerned in the least about Padme's well-being throughout the entire sequence? How exactly does 3PO's decapitated body know to stand exactly in the empty spot so that it can get a Battle Droid Head?

2-1B
04-04-2004, 11:07 PM
"Not concerned in the least" ?

He clearly was concerned for her. He dropped down on the conveyor but of course they got separated so he has more than one thing to worry about.

Had he not screamed "Padme!" when she fell as he reached for her and instead screamed "meh, fend for yourself" then I would see that argument.

stillakid
04-05-2004, 12:51 AM
"Not concerned in the least" ?

He clearly was concerned for her. He dropped down on the conveyor but of course they got separated so he has more than one thing to worry about.

Had he not screamed "Padme!" when she fell as he reached for her and instead screamed "meh, fend for yourself" then I would see that argument.

Not once while he loses track of her does he look around for her, or scream her name or anything. Even when he is captured, he shows no interest nor concern about her location or well-being. Yeah, he was busy with his own game of Mega-Man but the point of fiction is to take situations like this to show how the characters feel about one another. By this point in the story we already know that Anakin has skill leaping around and also is clumsy with his weapon. Those traits are merely repeated during the Mega-man sequence so the only point to the whole episode is for A) Ani to lose his weapon, and B) for him to get captured. Don't you think that GL wasted a prime opportunity for Ani to show a little compassion and concern for the woman that he keeps talking about loving?

But that seems to be Lucas's overriding problem of late though...too much yapping and not enough illustrating. The entire Tatooine dinner sequence suffered from the same disease. Instead of talking about how talented Ani is, why don't we spend more time showing it instead. If that wasn't bad enough, Lucas injected the infamous Midichlorian count just in case we fell asleep during the dinner scene and missed it. Of course we are told that Pod Racing is difficult so only a "Force" user could possibly do it, but it doesn't really look that hard. Not really. We don't ever see lil' Ani "use" any special powers or anything that might suggest he has latent Force ability. The cut-scene on the DVD which shows his rig falling apart would have been a good place to show his Force ability had he "pulled" the cable via the Force. But the cut scene shows him using some kind of magnet or something. Another opportunity lost.

So, no, the bottom line is that Anakin isn't illustrating to us his spoken love for this woman really at any time. He talks a good game, but that's about it.

Which takes us back to our eternal debate: can we fill in those blanks by ourselves in order for it to make sense? Sure, why not? We can pretend that Anakin does care about Padme merely because he says so. We can pretend a whole lot of things in life based on people saying things. Heck, we went to war based on the words of people. But ask any woman and they'll tell you that actions speak louder than any words. I can tell my wife that I love her, but the moment she catches me cheating, what will mean more? My words or my actions?

Lucas forgot the primary advantage to telling stories in this format of feature filmmaking, that you have the ability to illustrate in order to build character and story. It's not radio.

jjreason
04-05-2004, 01:42 AM
To be honest, Stillakid, I don't really see Ani not caring about Padme there either. I think he's largely preoccupied with self preservation throughout the sequence - if he's going to save her, he's got to make sure he's alive to do it.

The whole C3PO/Battle Droid thing is situation based, obviously. No need for it to happen other than to create a few laughs during the heated final moments of the movie. I personally don't need it, but we've been "treated" to them all along so it was no surprise to me something like that was happening. A little too much this time, it was easier to deal with the repetitious poop, fart and getting hit in the nuts stuff of TPM which was more broken up.

2-1B
04-05-2004, 02:48 AM
I don't pretend that Ani actually cares for her. That's just what I see.

It's not like he ran off to leave her alone. She was pulled away when the platform retracted and then the other events took place (indeed to have him lose his weapon, have them get captured, and accomplish whatever that "kinetic energy" nonsense was which George talked about on the DVD) .

Following the droid factory chase, he TALKS about caring for Padme when he asks pre-execution "what about Padme" but more importantly, he SHOWS his concern for her when he shows up on the Reek to rescue her. He's all talk on the Gunship but I really see that as an action because his talk was being overruled by Obi-Wan. He was willing to surrender his Jedi status and that says something to me.

Now as for that Threepio nonsense, I have no defense for it because I find it truly wretched. My second most hated scene after Greedo firing first. Actually, I might hate this AOTC moment even more . . .

Reason * 1984 posts -- good Van Halen album !

stillakid
04-05-2004, 11:36 AM
To be honest, Stillakid, I don't really see Ani not caring about Padme there either. I think he's largely preoccupied with self preservation throughout the sequence - if he's going to save her, he's got to make sure he's alive to do it.

Well, yeah, no argument about the self-preservation angle, but this is a MOVIE! A fictional story meant to express some ideas. And by many accounts, it's ABOUT this guy named Anakin and WHY he turns from a slap-happy little boy into one of the greatest onscreen villians of all time. EVERY MOMENT he is onscreen should be in service to that objective. So when George chooses to write a sequence like this wherein the MAIN CHARACTER is plunged into trouble WITH HIS CHILDHOOD SWEETHEART, doesn't it beg the question as to why he shows NO CONCERN for WHERE SHE IS or HOW SHE IS DOING?

This doesn't need to be a constant thing during his own obstacle course, because of what you suggest as his need for self-preservation. But at the very least, at the very end when he is facing down the barrel of a gun, couldn't he have looked around for her? Understandably, he might not want to yell out her name just in case she got away, but "expert bounty hunter" Jango should be smart enough to recognize what Hayden is looking for and utter the cold words, "Don't worry about your honey, we got her too!" or something equally goofy like that.

It's the small things.

JON9000
04-07-2004, 10:45 AM
I would have made the love story into a triangle, with Padme being married to someone else already, preferably soemone who treated her like crap. Up the stakes and add some drama to the love story which, quite frankly, fell flat and was completely unbelievable.

jjreason
04-07-2004, 12:13 PM
I like that idea a lot, Jon. An older, successful guy who sees Ani as disdainful, an unnecessary precaution because he is downplaying the danger to Padme (leading us to dislike him even more, because we have a better understanding of the true danger she is in). That would have made things more interesting, as both her and Ani would have been turning their back on something important to engage in their relationship. I think the problem with that angle, from a Star Wars perspective, is GL not wanting to introduce adultery as a theme in a movie for kids. Maybe she could have been engaged and broken it off in the end to be with Ani.

Turambar
04-17-2004, 08:39 PM
I would have made the love story into a triangle, with Padme being married to someone else already, preferably soemone who treated her like crap. Up the stakes and add some drama to the love story which, quite frankly, fell flat and was completely unbelievable.

This is a great idea. I've mentioned it on other threads. Why not throw in one of those "parallels" here -- set up a triangle between Obi-Padme-Ani. Except unlike the happy Trilogy ending, this one helps drive the rift between master and learner.

kool-aid killer
04-18-2004, 05:32 PM
But wouldnt Obi, being the loyal Jedi that he is, know that falling in love was forbidden? I dont think it would work with him, but i like Jon and JJs ideas. Shes engaged to someone who sees her fears as being unwarranted and Anakin, knowing that she belongs to someone else but being headstrong cant forget about her.

JediTricks
04-18-2004, 08:47 PM
I had something on my mind a few nights ago that I really wanted to post here, but I forgot it and have been struggling to remember ever since.

In the meantime, I also would have given 3PO an actual plot-related task in the film, maybe translating of a Geonosian transmission that was overheard when Obi-Wan was taken prisoner on the holotransmission...

HoloTransmission ends with Destroyer Droids and some unintelligible clicking alien language.

PADME: (to Anakin) What was that last part?

ANAKIN: Doesn't sound familiar. Threepio, can you make anything out of those odd sounds?

THREEPIO: Yes Master Anakin, after all, I *am* fluent in over six million forms of communica...

PADME: (interrupting) Just do it please.

THREEPIO: Of course, Mistress. It is an insectoid language, they are giving orders to take the Jedi knight to be... oh dear, "dealt with".

ANAKIN: No. NO! I *have* to go save him!

PADME: Well, I'm going too. It looks like we're going to have some trouble communicating with the locals, maybe we should take Threepio.

THREEPIO: *gulp* Oh my!

or something like that. And then give 3PO a scene when they get to Geonosis where they need 3PO to tell the landing pad door to open for them. It's not much less stunty than what Lucas did, but it's SOMETHING.

JediTricks
05-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Something else I would have changed is how Dex recognized the Kamino Saberdart. It doesn't make a lot of sense that these relatively-unwarrior Kaminoans would be known for such an effective, small weapon, or that an established bounty hunter would use someone else's weapon to take down one of his operatives. IMO, the Jedi Analysis droids could have sampled the poison from Jango's dart and determined that it was a material whose details were erased from the library system, and this is what leads Obi-Wan to ask Dex if he's heard of this poison material.

stillakid
05-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Kudos, JT. Those are really really great suggestions. The C3PO comments were particularly good. Both droids have such inconsequential parts to play and wind up being set dressing more than anything else. The one time R2 does do anything (in AOTC), it's as part of a gratuitously unnecessary action sequence (the Megaman factory chase) and doesn't make a hell of a whole lot a sense anyway. For two "major" characters to the saga, it's a sad shame that Lucas dropped the ball that bad. :(

2-1B
05-09-2004, 08:01 PM
I agree - R2 and Threepio are pretty pointless in the prequels and I would have preferred it if they were just left out of the mix. Well, R2 could still be in my version . . . frankly he could have been first introduced in AOTC as Obi-Wan's starfighter droid.

Threepio should have been left out until Episode 4. I like the idea of Artoo being around the whole time, and then in between he can get saddled with that jackass Threepio. I have no problem with R2 knowing about the history of Anakin because he's capable of "keeping his mouth shut." That could be cool, the idea of R2 going off to find Kenobi in ANH knowing EXACTLY who Kenobi is while Threepio is clueless.
But the way AOTC played out, the most logical way to get around Threepio's early encounter with Owen is to have Threepio's memory erased. And that's a real shame because it likely means Artoo will get erased, too. I like the idea of Artoo knowing what has been going on. :)

Here's another idea: introduce Threepio in Episode 3 as a droid of Bail Organa. Through any series of possible events, the "Kenobi-owned" R2 can be paired up with Threepio by the end of Episode 3.

bigbarada
01-22-2005, 06:46 PM
During the 15 years between ROTJ and Ep1 I developed my own vision of who Anakin was.

I always envisioned him as very large and physically imposing even without the Vader armor (Luke and Leia could have easily inherited their short, scrawny stature from their mother). Most of the Jedi order would be deeply respectful of Anakin's abilities, nobility and heroism and he would be sort of the superstar Jedi of his time.

His potential for good would be great, but conversely his potential for evil would be equally great. And the tragedy that caused him to fall from grace would be so monumental and horrific that it would leave audiences completely stunned for days after first seeing the movie. Y'know, the stuff that great drama is made from.

Instead we get a whiney teenager pining over the first girl to catch his eye.

I also understand what everyone is saying about the CG in the film. Even though I am studying 3D Animation right now, I am very happy to see studios and effects houses actually building sets and props and not relying on the computer to do everything.

Most of the problem comes from directors wanting to add in major CG sequences at the last minute and leaving animators scramblling to get things finished.

Not to mention render times which (for PIXAR) averages about 3-90 hours per frame (at 24 frames per second!), eating up actual hours needed to model new characters and animate them.

So I tend to cut the animators a little slack when I see a problem with the CG in any movie.

Imperial Monarche
02-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Although I think Lucas has a hard trouble writing dialogue, I think he can come up with great action and story sequences. I particularly think he totally got Anakin's fall to the dark side great and I think that this idea for Ani would have been wrong. You have to understand one thing (and this was actually pointed out in Labrynth of Evil), Anakin was not born in the Jedi Temple like most Jedi...therefore, he feels emotion, he is caring, he has anger to deal with. He was discovered as just a regular boy that experienced those feelings, so for 11 years of his life he was taught to express his feelings whereas the younglings are born taught to supress those feelings. Ani was taken from his mother when he was young and when he returns to her, she dies. That would pretty much tick me off and that's what it does to him. Another thing is that he had the crush on Padme from the beginning, so it makes more sense for him to fall apart when he's around her. He doesn't have Jedi emotions, but human emotions so he falls in love with her and when his love feels threatened by the Jedi code, he becomes angry and must continue to love her in secret. Plus, he's basically still a kid. He grew up without a mothers guidance and was forced to things he may not have wanted to do so he's going to whine when given the opportunity because he's not allowed to express the feelings he has since a Jedi has no feelings, so whining is the only way he knows how to express the anger he feels.
Children whine when they are mad and if you skip your adolesance (like Ani basically did since his adolesance was in the Jedi temple where he didn't learn an adult way to vent).

CooLJoE
02-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Funny, I'm watching AOTC right now and I feel its perfectly fine as it is. And I was actually thinking about the scene with Anakin losing it on the Tuskens.

For as much as people whine about George Lucas losing his touch and producing crappy StarWars prequels, I think he did a good job on AOTC. Frmo the scene where Anakin finds out his mom is missing to the part where he says his last words to her grave.....I was quite choked up. It may sound silly to some, but perhaps I can relate to it better than others since I lost my mom when I was younger. I could honestly feel the emotions he was going through and the anger he felt. And then the scene where he tells padme about being held back and then how he slaughtered them all, that truly showed how much confusion he had and how he was losing his chance to truly be a Jedi. His weakness, that would eventually lead to his turning to the darkside, was very much shown here. And then, he goes and says his last words to her grave....all of it just gave me goose bumps; his pain and anguish was very well shown throughout this entire segment. And I don't think it could stand out anymore than that.

If he was entirely devoid of care and emotion, it would seem odd to see him suddenly break out into an anger-fit with the Tuskens and then get all upset in front of Padme. His character was never meant to be a quite one that bottles up his emotions. Thats what makes Anakin who he is, and how his change to the darkside (and eventually back) makes more sense.

If any scene needs changing....its the one where him and Padme are sitting by the fire and he suddenly comes out about his feelings for her. That scene felt out of place to me. It didn't flow right from the previous scenes. GL should have built up to that scene a bit better.

El Chuxter
02-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Y'know, the adultery thing could be better than slapping us in the face with this "no marriage" garbage. "A Jedi shall not know anger, nor hatred, nor adultery." Doesn't have the same ring, but it works better.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily change much about AOTC, though, aside from one detail: in the opening crawl, it would say "Star Wars: Episode I: Attack of the Clones." All of The Phantom Menace would be reduced to five or six lines of dialogue. Not only does it erase the worst part of the saga, but it gives more time for Anakin to believably turn evil.

But Sebulba and Darth Maul would have to somehow show up. They're too cool to completely eliminate.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Y'know, the adultery thing could be better than slapping us in the face with this "no marriage" garbage. "A Jedi shall not know anger, nor hatred, nor adultery." Doesn't have the same ring, but it works better.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily change much about AOTC, though, aside from one detail: in the opening crawl, it would say "Star Wars: Episode I: Attack of the Clones." All of The Phantom Menace would be reduced to five or six lines of dialogue. Not only does it erase the worst part of the saga, but it gives more time for Anakin to believably turn evil.

But Sebulba and Darth Maul would have to somehow show up. They're too cool to completely eliminate.
It's ". . . nor love," so even if they just did it, it'd still be against the Jedi. I'd assume he'd get equally mad at by the other Jedi if they only had *ahem* relations and didn't get married.

El Chuxter
02-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah, but if Jedi are allowed to love and to marry, but Anakin cheats on a married woman, that could be better plot-wise for the films. Especially since as recently as 2000-2001, Lucas was green-lighting EU projects involving married Jedi.

dr_evazan22
02-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Overall, I like the way the movie is. That being said, I watched AOTC again on Sun and I think I see better what people like Stilla have said about the film.

I wish that the DVD had included the deleted scenes into the movie - like the LOTR EE's. While most if not all of the decisions to remove them from the movie were valid, they provdided some needed background, especially the ones involving Ani and padme.

I would also add that the way the Jedi are portrayed in the Prequels, I really don;t like them and happily await thier extermination.

Devo
02-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Where does one begin? I'll try to summarise, and bear in mind that these apply to TPM even moreso - Delete superfluous (previously unheard of) characters who detract screentime from the ones we're really interested in, delete superfluous FX scenes which do not advance the story, do not depict the ultimate villain as either a 'yipee'-uttering child or a whiny teenage brat, capitalise on any opportunity to mirror the OT, build sets and props, make real clone trooper costumes at least for the bloody close-ups, keep some consistency in terms of the ships and costumes (no need to redesign everything for each film), if I can't write and fully admit I can't write - don't write, get someone who can (wasn't that the obvious course of action?)

If i think of anything else I'll be back to this thread.

Jedi Destroyer666
03-20-2005, 08:46 PM
That's an interesting idea. If nothing else, he would have come off less as the whiny bipolar brat that he is and the transition to the relatively "play it cool" Darth Vader version of him would have been smoother. Yeah, I think you're on to something here! :)

Remake anyone?
I would have to agree with you on that one, Anakin was way to whiney and was overly emotinal in episode II. He is better off as Darth Vader so im glad he turned to the dark side.

Jedi Destroyer666
03-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Episode II was ok but, the mushy scenes between Anakin and Padme made it kinda lame they could have done without them.

jjreason
04-11-2005, 02:33 AM
I'm back. Having looked at the final lightsaber battle again today (twice), I would have set it up a little differently:

- everything leading up to Yoda entering stays the same
- Yoda enters, says nothing and fires up his saber and engages Dooku
- they fight to a standstill, then separate breathing heavily
- Dooku: "It's obvious that this battle cannot be decided by our mastery of the lightsaber, but rather by our mastery of the force." *lightning here*
- Yoda: *catching lightning* "The Dark Side, I sense in you, my Padawan. Fought well you have" *progress to the force repulsion of force-pushed objects by both parties, as per the existing movie*
- Dooku: "This is only the beginning!" *crushes pillar supports and flees to ship*

This is basically a re-edit. The point is to show that both beings are incredibly strong in the force; the ability to duel well with the lightsaber seems (to me) much more likely to be achievable by the common Jedi than do the abilities displayed by both Yoda and Dooku before they break out the blades. Switching around the order in which their skills are displayed would seem like more of a progression through their skills - from formidable to downright scary - as opposed to "regressing" to dealing with it via lightsaber, when much more overwhelming force-abilities have already been displayed.

I've always felt that Yoda should have fought Dooku here the way Darth Vader looked after Luke in ESB, right before Luke flies through the window and out onto the weathervane. After a few exchanges of lightning and force-pushed objects, it should be apparent that Dooku can't keep up to Yoda. That's when Dooku should switch Yoda's attention to saving Obi and Ani and make his escape.