PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons actors walk out

Exhaust Port
04-01-2004, 10:14 AM
In a pay dispute with Fox, the 6 primary Simpson voice actors walked out in the middle of working on an episode. The group as a whole gets payed less than $1 million for a season and were asking for $8 million for the group. Fox basically said "no way."

For a show that has given Fox over $1 Billion from merchandise, syndications, etc. how can they balk at giving the actors more? How much were each of the actors on Friends making an episode?

Kidhuman
04-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Fox is absurd. That show made the network. Without these guys they would be battling UPN shows for last place.

And Friends actors are getting a million per.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-01-2004, 12:30 PM
And Friends actors are getting a million per.

This difference is that the Simpsons is actually an interesting show. Pay em what they want and get on with it.

2-1B
04-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Pay up, you cheap pricks !

JediTricks
04-01-2004, 06:45 PM
E! says that the cast failed show up to 2 scheduled table reads (which is the pre-recording runthrough of the script). This is not the first time the actors' pay issue has come up, Dan Castellaneta and Yeardly Smith threatened to strike back in season 9 or 10 IIRC because they were being seriously underpaid (they were getting a measily $30k per ep at the time, now are seeing $120k per ep and want $360k per ep). At that time, Fox publically claimed they'd simply replace 'em for other actors in Homer and Lisa's roles, but eventually they worked something out at nearly the last minute. Fox feels that they already make enough money for 2 and a half days of work per week and only 6 to 7 hours of actual recording per ep.

Exhaust Port
04-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Fox has got to realize that they can't justify not paying this group based on how much they feel that they are "at work." The fans want the product and they want this group, and this group only, making it happen.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-02-2004, 12:21 PM
I ain't worried. I have a very low opinion of the Fox Network in general, but even they won't do something so stupid as not to give the voice actors the raises they deserve. Yes their work load is light compared to a sitcom actor, but the mere fact that this show has "made" the Fox network, giving them something to cheer about during their early lean years, is merit enough for raises.

jjreason
04-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Pay up, you cheap pricks ! :eek:

I concur. FOX is being ridiculous...... yet again. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-02-2004, 06:12 PM
If Fox doesn't want to pay them, no big deal. The show is going down the toilet anyway, now is a perfect time to cancel it. Fox has other good shows now (Bernie Mac is great, Malcolm is pretty good, King of the Hill is OK), maybe it's time to let go.

Exhaust Port
04-02-2004, 11:00 PM
The show has to end sometime but not like this (I'd hope). I would prefer to see at least one season that is know to be the last.

Now that I think about it, Fox can't be seriously considering this. Not only would this squash the TV series but all the hype and possible work towards a Simpsons movie would go right out the window. They would be throwing away a lot.