PDA

View Full Version : Dengar review

AmanaMatt
04-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Ok, just so everyone knows where this review is at, the original Dengar was one of my fav figs as a kid - as was the Bossk. I loved all the Bounty Hunters...when Hasbro released the POTF2 one, I was beyond excited, that is, until I got it...hate at first sight, it was.

Fast foward to today: scored the Dengar wave at my local Walmart and I can say that the old Dengar will burn as he should, the reason: new Dengar rocks!

SCULPT: The new Dengar is 'near' perfect. The sculpt is fantastic. He is a decent size - not taller than the POTF2 one, but a bit bulkier, as he should be. The face is great - he has that nice grimmace thing going on and the burn marks have been painted in a way that it looks painful, and also a bit rasied off the face, so this is much more distinct. The armor looks just like that - armor. Each piece looks worn and not just one jumble. His head is sculpted in a way so that he is kinda looking down, but if posed to the side a bit to show off the backpack, he just looks mad, which is great.

PAINT: Wow, this is as good as the sculpt - there is a hue to the armor that is very nice to look at. Overall, for a dude in armor, the paint job is pretty busy. The backpack is a different color than the armor - the arms have a bit different color than the gloves and this all kinda give the new fig a prototype look meaning, this is as good as a finished product will look in comparison to the pics on the back - I think the actual face detail looks better in person, but that is just me, maybe.

ARTICULATION: Dengar is articulated in the neck, ball jointed shoulders, upper right arm, lower left arm, left wrist, waist and legs - overall, pretty decent. More importantly, this is seemlessly done within the sculpt and each joint seems pretty solid. This being said, Dengar looks best holding the rifle in two hands - when posed in the right, the left arm is not in a real natural looking position, but this is not as pre-posed as the near perfect Tie Pilot's arm is. ...the shoulder articulation in the new version is the ball joint action as meantioned, so he can have the arms in or out to your desire. There is no comparsion in this version and the POTF2 one.

ACCESSORIES: Dengar has two (I do not count the stands). The rifle has been seen before, but seems to have a modified gun trigger so Dengar can put this between fingers - the paint detail is nice - the barrel looks different than the handle, so this too looks sharp. Dengar's backpack, ahh, what can I say? He needs it - and the new backpack looks great. It is darker than the armor, so this does not get drowned out in a sea of brown. Mine fit on without issue and seems to be firmly in place - the peg is not that long, so I was a bit concerned at first. Dengar looks 100% better with this backpack, and is another source of hate I have for the subpar POTF2 version (I do not buy the ROTJ version story on that one).

ISSUES: this is super minor, but to have gotten an A+, this version should have had Dengar's gun and holster, both of which are wholly absent and as seen in the movie - Dengar did come with the small pistol that the POTF2 version had. That being said, most will not even know he had the holster, so this is really quite a small point.

Overall: I give this new and highly improved version an 'A.' The sculpt, paint, articulation and overall cool appearance is a welcome sight to my bounty hunter collection, which I truly felt was not complete given the POTF2 versions sorry sculpt. If you see this version, buy it! For my personal tastes, this is the fig I have most anticipated in 2004 and he does not disappoint.

UPDATE: after having this for going on a day, the left arm can be posed at his side in a way that looks pretty cool - so Dengar can sport two poses that look pretty natural, IMO: a two handed pose or the one with other arm at the side.

arctangent
04-02-2004, 02:43 AM
nice review amanamatt. dengar is one of my faves too and i look forward to getting this when i eventually comes out in the uk (we are so far behind the u.s. its just a joke) - he sounds much better than the potj one which i actually really like, possibly because my nan bought it for me for my birthday one year. sounds like you can pose him much more like the was standing in tesb.

Kidhuman
04-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I need to locate this bounty hunter.

AmanaMatt
04-02-2004, 10:00 AM
When you find this, you will not be disappointed - he his hitting So. Cal, so good luck!

I bought just one of the Admiral figs to keep carded, as this did not blow me away, but the Bossk review is up.

plasticfetish
04-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Great review Amanamatt. You're dead on.

Oh man. I've gotta run outta the house right now, but I just wanted to chime in on this one. I bought a bunch of figs today and this is the only one that I've opened yet... it's super. Talk about an improvement. Wow!

Hellboy
04-04-2004, 03:42 PM
I love this figure. The addition of his backpack and the attention to detail are very apparent. Where Bossk only had minor differences with his update the improvements here are huge. The look of the armor, his expression, and even the gun are reason alone to give your POTF2 version to the family dog as a new chew toy. A major improvement and one of the best this year IMO. Grade: A

Jaff
04-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Although I thought the Bossk was no big deal, the Dengar figure was astounding. Since Christmastime the Saga line has become phenomenal. R1-G4 wave, Rappertunie wave, Antillies Wave, and now the Dengar figure. What a grand finale for this line. There is only one wave left, but this figure, and R1-G4 are a crowning achievement. Hats off Hasbro, I'm glad to see you back in glory again!

vulcantouch
04-08-2004, 12:24 PM
. . .but he's not really my cuppa tea so as a non-completist i'll be passing on him; however, i think his gun (& backpack?) look good enough to get separately, in case anyone here wants to trade me (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=23286) :)
vt

clonehead
04-09-2004, 02:50 PM
well i got my dengar and bossk for cheap and i great condition. now they serve their time in my cases trying not to collect too much dust.

sith_killer_99
04-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Great sculpt, added articulation! This is a fantastic figure, by far worth the money.

A+ :Pirate:

RussUAE
04-12-2004, 06:20 AM
I would agree, deserves an A+

I'm not that big a fan of the Bounty Hunters, but boy oh boy he is the best figure of the past 12 months IMO.