PDA

View Full Version : A womans drive through Chernobyl

Exhaust Port
04-01-2004, 11:59 PM
A Russian woman takes a ride on her motorcycle through the dead town of Chernobyl and has a photo journal to share. The pictures are haunting as they show a ghost town. The town of Chernobyl packed up and left everything in it's place and nothing can leave as it's all contaminated with radiation. The fields of rescue and military equipment that answered the call to the reactor fire left sitting to rot for all time are particularly eerie. That and the final images of the school house. Look here....

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

Kidhuman
04-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Very eerire. Reminds me of the pictures of Pompei, sans the bodies covered in stone. I give her props for taking that ride with all thatradiation there. The pics of the schoolhouse and all were very nice.

darthvyn
04-02-2004, 02:43 PM
life finds a way...

from descriptions i had expected it to look like the moon, but the trees are all lush, and the way animals have moved back in, it feels like a miyazaki film - man destroys itself, and the animals regain their land...

AmanaMatt
04-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the link. That was very unsettling, but good to read.

Reefer Shark
04-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, it was very interesting.
Thanks for the link!

dr_evazan22
04-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Thanks EP! I don't think I ever really had a good grasp of the magnitude of what happened, but that definitely helps.

I ended up emailing the thread to myself, then forwarding it to friends and aquaintances on my email address book.

And your right darthvyn, it is amazing to see nature reclaim the area... the forests, the animals, the hotel rooms.

2-1B
04-02-2004, 11:44 PM
That town could use a population of zombies.

Dr Zoltar
04-03-2004, 12:41 AM
I haven't had the chance to read through the entire website, but I'm surprised she isn't wearing a radiation suit. Aren't the radiation levels still a bit high to go in that area unprotected?

Kidhuman
04-03-2004, 12:57 AM
I was wondering the same thing, why she didnt have anything on. Ididnt read it either, just peeped the pics, maybe it explains it in the story.

Exhaust Port
04-03-2004, 09:55 AM
At the bottom of the first page she talks about the radiation levels found along her drive. The federal government limits nuclear-industry workers to 5000 millirems a year (thanks google). She shows the highest radiation levels on her drive as 760 microroengens or .76 milliroengens. Background radiation shows up as 10 microroengens or .01 milliroengens so there is a significant jump near the reactor.

I'd assume that millirems are equal to her term of milliroengens. If that's the case then she'd definately getting a good dose of radiation but nothing that would harm her long term as long as she doesn't make a habit of traveling there. She was probably in the vicinity of Chernobyl for a few hours with a peak radiation of 760 milliroengens/hour. Even at that peak level she'd not reach that limit for US nuclear workers of 5000 a year.

The one thing that I found interesting was the silence found in those worker towns. So quiet that tour groups often leave early because the tourists find the silence painful to the ears. I don't know if anyone else has experienced it but that is a strange sensation. The environment is so quiet that your ears start ringing and there is almost a twing of pain in your ear. Bizarre to experience on a small scale (say a soundproof room) but it must be unsettling to experience in a whole town.

Sentinel18725
04-03-2004, 10:26 AM
I completed a nuclear radiation course recently for my job (fire department). This was a week long course at the testing site in Las Vegas, Nevada (the place where they actually tested the first nuclear bombs). We had a doctor there helping teach who was in the Soviet Army when Chernobyl happened. He wasn't in Chernobyl, but was called up in the surrounding area to help. The accounts that he gave and the pictures he brought were amazing and horrific. Basically, we had an introduction to this. Some children born of soldiers and workers were very deformed. Arms out of the top of their shoulders and stuff like that.....very creepy!

In regards to wild life there. Nature will adapt. These plants that have grown up there are many generations old. They don't have the life span like we do, so the ones that adapt, survive. These then reproduce and proliferate. It's truly incredible how resiliant nature is. Even in Vegas at ground zero where they tested the first atomic bombs you can see growth. It's actually kind of neat.....the blast radius can be seen by the different vegetation that is growing there.

In handling radiation: Time, distance, shielding. Therefore, if she was only there for a short period, she shouldn't have gotten much of a dose (quantity) as long as her dosage (rate) was too high. You gotta remember, workers are currently there rebuilding the sarcophagus (sp?) that is covering the site. I hope they get hazard pay! Something else to note: if you look at some of her pictures, you can see that there are some lines and wires up with radiation symbols on them. These are most likely limits where they have tested and found hot spots to be in the area where it is too dangerous to allow any access by humans. These are places that are still emiting high levels of gamma radiation (radiation that goes through everything-no shielding will stop it) as compared to alpha (won't get through skin but bad if inhaled) or beta (can be stopped by lead and cinders). This is how they manage this.

It's amazing that as we can sequence the genome, replace organs, build nuclear bombs, we still can't deal with radiation because of what it is...energy! Also, the effects on humans and other organisms can only be guessed because of the randomness of it and how it destroys DNA and cells.....absolutely incredible!

Hats off to this lady! Incredible journey! Incredible pictures! Incredible tale!

THE Slayer
04-08-2004, 09:28 PM
I just wanted to say how amazing that is.
There is something insipring about all this...
That is all.

Tonysmo
04-12-2004, 04:55 AM
yes, thanks for the link.

wow..

Exhaust Port
04-12-2004, 11:28 AM
I just noticed that she updated the website with a new foreword. Interesting read.