PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on OTC Waves 9 & 10

jedimarvin
04-02-2004, 08:07 AM
For those of you who haven't seen them, EE has listed the wave 9 & 10 cases:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS84715M

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS84715N

Finally (I'm impatient) we have news on some more new sculpt figures, although not sure the news is all that good.

First of all I wonder if these are new sculpts at all? Does "new" just mean new figure or a new sculpt?? I doubt we're getting a new sculpt Biker Scout since you really can't improve on the POTJ one unless you add some super articulation. We just got a TIE Fighter Pilot so I doubt he's any different. I don't see how you can really improve on Greedo at all except for taking awya the battle damage.

The only figure of these I ahve any hope for is Luke Bespin. The Saga Luke was great but I'm just not a fan of figures with battle damage. IT severely limits what you can use the figure for. It would be nice to see a clean Bespin Luke, but who knows.

I guess this news leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. Star Wars figuers have come such a long way. I thought OTC would mean more new sculpts, but it's starting to look like teh focus will be on rereleasing every figure regardless of weatehr or not they're still on the shelves.

AAArrrrghhh.

Kidhuman
04-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Alot of those figures listed as new were never mentioned before. Will have otwait and see.

evenflow
04-02-2004, 08:21 AM
I am getting bored with this line already, I was excited at first, but the whole series is just re-molds pretty much. :(

B'Omarr Monkey
04-02-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm in partial agreement with you evenflo. While I'm looking forward to the new Dagobah figures and such, it would be nice if Hasbro would throw in some previously unmade characters as well. Do we really need another Greedo? Wicket vs a new ewok? I'm glad that the sculpting has really improved, but I don't want or need to see Hasbro redoing the entire line from the beginning. I understand the reason behind periodically offering a Luke, Han or Vader, but I'd rather see repackaged figures that have been previously released (so I don't feel compelled to buy yet another Luke because I'm a completist) mixed in with some new figures than entire waves of remade Lukes, R2s, Boba Fetts, etc.

The whole appeal of the POTJ and Saga lines was the mix of principal characters and background characters. I hope we get some more new characters before Ep. 3 comes out.

keithfite
04-02-2004, 02:04 PM
hey. they are still making the new lobot, cloud pilot and bespin leia arent they

Kidhuman
04-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Yes they are, but thats about all we heard. No one has ever read about these until today.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Well, for me that means I can spend more on other items I need instead of the basic line. Vintage figures, new & rerelease vehicles (most of which I don't have yet anyway), Jedi packs. Plus Episode III is pretty soon, so everyone'll need some money for that (even though it's not that soon).

I do find it kind of odd, though, that they are rereleasing Greedo (presumably the Cantina set dark green version with the 2000 one's blaster). He's only in the movie for like two minutes, yet he's been out five hundred times. And the Bespin Luke - it'll probably be the great Saga 2002 version, even though another clean, featureless version will be welcome. They are rereleasing gimmicked Boba and (I think) Vader, so I guess you can't rule out features. Funny though, cause Bespin Luke turns up once in a while still around my area, and I know some people's Wal-Marts still have lots of cantina sets.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-02-2004, 07:24 PM
hey. they are still making the new lobot, cloud pilot and bespin leia arent they

Cloud car pilot is the only new figure. As much as I like them, Lobot and Leia are resculpts. What I mean by new is something like Bom Vindim, CZ-3, Lumat, or Dormé.

plasticfetish
04-02-2004, 11:43 PM
I guess this news leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. Star Wars figures have come such a long way. I thought OTC would mean more new sculpts, but it's starting to look like the focus will be on re-releasing every figure regardless of whether or not they're still on the shelves.
Here are my "thoughts" on OTC waves 9 & 10... the whole OTC idea in general I suppose.

As I'm understanding the idea behind the "Original Trilogy Collection," it seems that it's been designed primarily to capitalize on the release of the original trilogy DVDs. Right? Just like when the OT came out on video cassette, there's going to be a slew of solidly recognizable core characters released that will appeal to the broadest possible audience. (I'm really amazed that so many collectors are looking at this thing with such confusion and blanket criticism.) Many of the figures we'll see are re-releases of figures that did pretty well in the past... and to keep the small army of finicky and hyper critical uber-nerd Star Wars collectors happy (myself included) there's going to be some new stuff. The "new" stuff is in part revisits to many of the core characters and popular side characters (like Greedo for instance) that made up the vintage line. That's what it's all about... it's like the vintage line, but done with a "modern" approach. Right? Isn't that what Hasbro said about all of this in the first place? It's not simply another card design on the collecting timeline, it's not about continuing to nail down every last obscure or unproduced character... it's about generating a fresh interest in the "brand" and ensuring that there'll be an audience for this stuff in the years to come. I'll guarantee, if the DVD release doesn't bring a significant amount of "new blood" into this collecting scene, then we surely won't be seeing Hasbro invest any kind of significant effort into producing things like "a new Falcon" or new playsets, or whatever other obscure vehicle, accessory or character that we'd all love to see produced.

I can understand a little disappointment from this hard-core collecting crowd, but I really can't get with any kind of generalized criticism of the line (especially since we've actually seen very little of it) just because there's going to be some re-packs. Same goes for crying foul over re-sculpts of a few core characters that, to be perfectly honest, kind of stunk the first time around. I have no pity for "completists" who complain that they'll be forced to buy this old stuff on these new cards. To me, the new cards look great... I'd opt to sell off most of my old carded versions to replace them with these new ones. If you don't like it, then don't be a "completist." It's not like you're going to get a trophy or anything for it anyway.

I dunno, maybe it's me just trying to be optimistic... trying find a silver lining after the glut of really bad figures that we'd been offered a year or so ago. The early Saga line simply sucked and it killed a lot of peoples enthusiasm for collecting Star Wars toys... myself included. But we've gotten some fantastic things as of late (a few dogs, but not many) and to me, it looks like the OTC line is going to be equally if not more exciting. I'm seeing a gold lining in what's coming up, as it looks like the basic and OTC "vintage" waves are going to include some really amazing figures. There's gonna be a lot of rehash, but I'd rather see the old hash peppered with a few unique new items than nothing at all.

Just a thought.

Silent Chazz
04-02-2004, 11:43 PM
OT but THANK YOU B'Omarr Monkey for calling them resculpts. One of my pet peeves is when people call things that have been sculpted before and are resculpted again: rehashed. I believe a figure is rehashed when the exact figure mold has been released before (thus Resculpts are not rehashes).

B'Omarr Monkey
04-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks for noticing, Chazz. :)

I am almost entirely in agreement with you, plasticfetish. I understand why the OT figures are being offered and who they are aimed at.

As an established collector, and not someone that Hasbro is trying to woo with the DVD set's availability, and I think I speak for others, is that it would be nice if Hasbro would put out some figures for the rest of us who already have all of the repackaged figures which will be coming out, or don't want or need a new sculpt of characters we've seen in a multitude of previously released forms. Between the OT collection and the Vintage collection we are essentially seeing one new character (the cloud car pilot) and a bunch of new versions of old characters.

I think what is more likely to happen than Hasbro bringing in new collectors, is that their going to lose current collectors who will be bored with seeing the same old characters offered again and again, especially after almost two years of almost continually empty pegs of the stuff that they allegedly make for us, yet do not feel compelled to distibute so that we can find it. Top this off with the glut of repackaged figures that will be warming the pegs from September to January, and it's not a great situation.

I am a completist, not because I expect to be rewarded for it, and don't complain about being one. I buy the new sculpts because I like to see the evolution of the sculpting of the characters over time, but my eyes do glaze over when the new wave announcements are made and there's Tatooine Luke #30, and Darth Maul #25 instead of someone like Amidala's handmaidens, or Feltipern Trevagg.

I'm all for repackaging. It's a figure I don't have to buy, which means it will be available for some kid who finally saw the movies and now wants a Han Solo figure. I'd prefer Hasbro simply pepper their waves with the occassional repacked figure than a resculpt everytime they wanted to reintroduce Darth Vader to the assortments. It would also save them money in terms of creating new molds, and we'd be more likely to get new characters which we all want.

I think what Hasbro should have done for the DVD release to attract new kids is put out boxed sets with decor similar to the DVD box, which would include 5 characters each (Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda, R2 and an ewok in one, Han, Chewie, Leia, C-3PO and Lando in a second, and Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, Greedo and the Emperor in a third) for $20 a set. Without additional accesories and using existing molds this would be affordable. Kids would get instant collections of the core characters, and may even be excited if they looked on the pegs of single carded figures and saw new cantina patrons, rebel pilots, droids, etc.

Kidhuman
04-03-2004, 01:17 AM
I see what you are saying about the only new figure being the CCP. Also the Dagobah Luke is new. We are getting the first interchangeable figure in the SW line with him. ALso getting out first Dirty R2. I know R2 is a throw together from other figures, but what about Luke?

I like your idea about the five packs. That would of been great to do. It also would of set off the collectors toget those packs as well, I know I would want them. Hasbro could of went about it differently, but what can you do now?

jjreason
04-03-2004, 03:20 AM
They sound new, but I don't think they'll be new figures. Hasbro has gone on record saying the focus is now solidly on EpIII stuff. My hope is that they're COMPLETELY focused on it, in hopes of providing us with some awesome figures around this time next year. NEXT YEAR, folks, as in it's really quite close in terms of having to design toys, accessories, packaging, etc. I don't think we'll be seeing a "new" Greedo or Bespin Luke, these'll be repacks sure as I'm typing this - and that's fine with me.

Old Fossil
04-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Well said, Plasticfetish!

Jeez, one would think the Saga line is dead already. The Yavin wave is still arriving in stores, along with remnants of the Jabba's Palace wave. Aside from the aforementioned Lobot, Bespin Leia, and Cloud Car Pilot (two resculpts, I know -- but still new figures -- there is the Star Destroyer wave, now just beginning to hit stores: three new figures. After that comes the Endor wave, with Lando, Madine, and AT-ST driver Han: three new figures. These will trickle out over the remainder of the year (2004). The OTC will only add to these more 'collector-friendly' choices (and keep in mind that some of the OTC offerings are army-builders)... and don't forget the upcoming "Vintage"-inspired line of ultra-articulated & highly detailed figures, made with the collector market in mind.

All in all, I think it has been and will continue to be a great year for us SW collectors.

Banthaholic
04-03-2004, 09:20 AM
I hate the notion that the OTC is costing me new figures. I understand Hasbro's motives of wanting to get core characters into the hands of people as well as the new to focus development of E3. Just sucks because they were doing so darn good so far this year.

Although one positive thing about the re-release of all of these core charafter is that it might get more kids hooked on the hobby, which will be a good thing to all of us when the first few waves of E3 figures are over-shippped.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I am looking forward to the Dagobah wave Luke, R2, and even Obi-Wan, and I think they're great. I evn like the replaceable limbs and head on Luke, but we have had a Dagobah Luke before, and while R2 is a completely new version, or at least a previous version with some extra painting, it's still an R2, and as much as I love R2, I'd rather get a previously unreleased droid like CZ-3 than a battle damaged R2 from the battle of Yavin. The clear plastic sculpts have greatly improved since the Frito Lay Spirit of Obi-Wan, but this will be our third version of that apparition, and likewise, while it's better than the previous versions, I'd rather have gotten something brand new.

I'm also not forgetting those waves between now and the Fall. I'm still looking forward to seeing R1-G4 and Tanus Spijak and J'Quille. My fear as that these later waves are going to get lost. Regions that don't have them to put out on the shelves by August, probably won't get them as the emphasis will be on The OT waves and the vintage waves.

I don't mean to come of as Mr. Sour Grapes, I've been collecting SW toys since the Early Bird set in 1977. For me, the excitement of the new lines since 1995 is seeing all of the obscure background characters that have come out, and the excitement of finding out who's next when wave assortments are announced. Seeing characters like Pote Snitkin, Wol Cabas****e, Orn Free Taa, Kitak Keed'kak, and even Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru depicted in 4 3/4" of plastic has been very exciting to me as a collector. When a number of succesive waves are announced with no surprises and just more of the same old same old characters and costumes, it's a let down, no matter how nicely resculpted they are. I think we all have our particular obscure favorite that we're dying for Hasbro to make, whether it's the Tonnika Sisters or The Ice Cream maker man from TESB. When Hasbro announces thet'll be releasing a figure of Feltipern Trevagg, not only do we get a cool new figure, but we get the sense that we are getting closer to getting that Yarna dal'Gargan figure that we're hoping for. When Hasbro announces that we'll be getting another Wicket, that possibility suddenly seems even further away.

If Hasbro mixes some characters from the films that are already out into their post Ep. III assortments the way that they did with teh Saga line, I'll be very happy, but there is a long gap in time between September 2004 and May 2005 and I hope it's not going to be filled with reissued figures and resculpts of the primary characters.

Silent Chazz
04-03-2004, 09:07 PM
What I'm glad about all this, is the fact I was a poor kid during POTFII and never got the X-wing or TIE Fighter. So now's my chance to snag up both AND finally get a Pilot Luke to pilot the X-wing. Also, gotta love Army Builders. I'll probably be buying like 3 Stormies and like 2 Scout Troopers.

plasticfetish
04-03-2004, 11:11 PM
...it would be nice if Hasbro would put out some figures for the rest of us...
I agree, but if you apply the "core" or significant secondary character formula to this series, what do you have that hasn't already been done? I'd like to think that Hasbro is making an effort to put out figures like Dodonna, Rappertunie, Dutch Vander, Antilles, Ozzel, Tanus, J'Quille, Madine, Han Solo AT-ST between then and now, so that there will be something genuinely unique to ad to our collections.

...going to lose current collectors who will be bored with seeing the same old characters offered again and again, especially after almost two years of almost continually empty pegs...
Well, the biggest problem there is the "empty peg" issue I think. The frustration with never finding anything new is terrible. That's a whole different can of worms though. At this point, I really do think that they probably put out only just as much as the collectors market will bear and no more. If what they distribute gets sucked up by scalpers, then it looks like nothing's being distributed. They... and I mean Hasbro or the retailers (TRU, Target) aren't going to flood the pegs just to be sure that every collector finds one or two of each figure. I see online retailers as being the only solution and the best option to help deter scalpers at this point, unless Hasbro decides to sell online themselves. As far as losing current collectors goes, well, it's always a risk and they seem to take it pretty often... but I'd guess that they're confident that they aren't going to lose the hard-core base over a few months of reissues or resculpts, and that any new fans would more than make up for losses.

I think what Hasbro should have done for the DVD release to attract new kids is put out boxed sets with decor similar to the DVD box, which would include 5 characters each...
I think that's an awesome idea! (Seriously.) How about when you pre-order the DVDs, you get a coupon that you can use to order a kind of... "early bird set" that includes those figures? Hmmm...

I hate the notion that the OTC is costing me new figures.
I'm just not sure that it is. I mean, really... it's possible that there simply wouldn't have been any new figures between then and Episode 3 anyway?

For me, the excitement of the new lines since 1995 is seeing all of the obscure background characters that have come out...
Hey I totally agree... that's easily the best thing. At one point when this whole thing started years ago, I wasn't going to bother collecting anything that had already been done in the vintage line. Only wanting ONE version of every character... period. (That lasted about 2 weeks.) At this point, I'm so doubtful of Hasbro's intentions to keep supporting this franchise much past episode 3, that I'm simply happy to see anything... when I do see it.

I really think that Hasbro could probably do more or handle this OTC thing better, but hey... it's Hasbro. When I asked a Hasbro merchandising rep (that I met at TRU) about the "Original Trilogy Collection" and if they were planning on doing anything special or setting up any special displays, she answered by saying, "What's the Original Trilogy Collection?"

B'Omarr Monkey
04-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey I totally agree... that's easily the best thing. At one point when this whole thing started years ago, I wasn't going to bother collecting anything that had already been done in the vintage line. Only wanting ONE version of every character... period. (That lasted about 2 weeks.) At this point, I'm so doubtful of Hasbro's intentions to keep supporting this franchise much past episode 3, that I'm simply happy to see anything... when I do see it.

I think this pretty much sums up all of my hopes and anxieties about the SW lines. When the first assortment came out in 1995, I bought them because I'd collected the vinatage line, was SW fan and thought that, like the bendable figures that came out prior, the new figures wouldn't go beyond the principal characters in the outfits they are best known for. Then things began to get more and more interesting, and I was hooked. I too, had no plans of purchasing a second, or third Tatooine Luke, Ben Kenobi, or anyone else. I have all of them. I never thought we'd be seeing a third sculpt of spirit Ben. I thought the Frito Lays version would be it.

Now that I've been spoiled with R4-M9 and Wuher, I want every character down to Jabba's human twerps. The fact that we've been given characters like Kitak Keed'kak (whether anyone actually found him/her, or not) gives me hope that we could actually get Jabba's twerps.

At the same time, because of the general unavailability of new figures in stores, and because of the bid tie in we're sure to get with Ep. III, I fear that after Ep. III comes and goes, the line might go. This is why I grumble about the lack of new characters in the Fall lines. There's a sense that this could be it.

On the other hand, I'm hoping that since Hasbro holds the license for such a long time period, they'll use the post Ep. III years to focus on the collectors and that we'll be seeing far more cantina patrons, Imperial officers, and even moisture farmers than we'll be seeing of Luke and Obi-Wan. I wouldn't even mind if we got the occassional eu waves thrown in. Many of the eu figures rank amongst my favorites.

To paraphrase Yoda, the future is uncertain. I remain cautiously optimistic.

jjreason
04-04-2004, 06:20 PM
I too have the feeling that we're seeing the end of the background character releases. I don't feel the line will surivive much past 2006, and I think the following the release of EpIII will be spent largely on pushing figures from that movie. I did like the fact that they continued to include figures from previous movies after the initial Saga shipment, and hope that trend continues.