PDA

View Full Version : Silver Clone Trooper Story!

the_emporer
04-03-2004, 03:42 PM
The closest TRU to me is in Harrisonburg, VA. I drove there this morning to get my Silver Clone Trooper. An employee was hanging the signs when I reached the SW isle. I picked out some items to make two purchases so I could get a couple of the figures. When I got to the checkout, the cashier didn't know what I was talking about. He got the manager, who told me they didn't receive any of the figures and there was nothing in the computer to say they would get them. I got him to call Charlottesville (the next closest TRU) and they had one left. The manager at that store said they would put my name on it if I wanted it, so my son and I headed for Charlottesville. On the way, I couldn't imagine they had given away all these figures and only been open an hour! When I arrived, the girl at the service desk didn't know what I was talking about. She called the manager and the manager had my figure. I had my items to make my purchase and checked out at the service desk. When the girl at the service desk rang up my figure, she said "Oh, I saw these earlier this morning. I checked out a guy that bought like 30 of them". She caught me off guard and I was speechless. I told her they are not supposed to be sold, they are supposed to be free with a purchase. The manager over heard the conversation and told her what they were for. I thought, by then it was a little to late. Are employees not briefed on sales and specials like this at the stores? I couldn't believe somebody got away with 30 of these things!!

Anyway, good luck to everyone else!

Turbowars
04-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear that. The sad thing is, it's typical. Tru isn't up on things like they should be. It's sad that we know more about their company than they do.

sith_killer_99
04-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I've got a hum dinger myself.

I stopped by TRU today and found about a dozen of these silver clones sitting on the pegs marked $4.99! :eek: Upon further inspection, I discovered all the bubbles had been crushed!

I walked to the customer Service desk and asked the.....lady....working there if they had any more of the silver clones, some that weren't crushed? She got this blank distant look on her face and said "Um....whatever....is...out" and I finished the sentence for her "is all we have."! Then I gave her an incredulous look and left. :rolleyes:

Off to TRU #2 (my only other shot at this thing). I hit the store and there they were, hanging on the pegs and yet again marked $4.99! I also noticed that they had a few Unleashed Clone Troopers. I grabed the Unleashed and started thumbing thru the Silver Clones, yet again all the bubbles were badly crushed! :rolleyes: I did manage to find a lone Silver Clone Trooper in good condition (good just barely meeting my standards). I grabbed 2 Silver Clones and the Unleashed Clone and headed to the check out.

When I got there I asked the cashier if she knew anything about the promotion. Clueless, she at least was nice enough to walkie talkie the manager, who said that they will be free tomorrow! So I looked at the poor woman and said "Let me get this straight, these are a free promotion starting tomorrow, but you are selling them today." She shrugged and gave me the blank stare. I told here I only wanted to buy the good condition Clone and the Unleashed Clone.

Now for the follow up, these are supposed to be free, and I will get mine for free, as soon as I return it tomorrow and get my money back I will promptly turn around and buy it and get the Silver Clone for free!

Overall, I am not surprised, TRU fubared the Silver R2 and now they have fubared the Silver Clone. To make thing worse, they pulled the Red Leader X-Wing that many people had planned on buying in order to get the Silver Clone. Oh, but we will be able to buy it soon after the fubared promotion. :Pirate:

Anyone else wanna kill their TRU managers?!?!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2004, 08:16 PM
For some reason, these have been appearing at some TRUs for $5. It probably isn't an error, as the website also had them. You could buy them today, but you don't get them free until tomorrow anyway. I think there is an ad in the paper tomorrow, and probably at the stores, so just show it to them if they don't know what you're talking about.

With the R2-D2 in 2002, I bought the Landspeeder and my mom and I took it to the checkout. We asked about the R2-D2, and he said there were people waiting for them and they sold out quickly. We were like, "What?" So we went to the customer service and they had at least one full box of them. I got one, but I guess they don't know what the hell they're doing with some of their stuff. :stupid:

Kidhuman
04-03-2004, 08:20 PM
How about this one.....

I was a little irked that I couldnt order it online the other night and get free shipping. Now they are sold out. And today I just remembered that I have a 5 dollar gift card in my wallet that could have been used.

Emperor Howdy
04-03-2004, 09:07 PM
How 'bout this?

In one hour this moron owes over a hundred bucks for a figure that's free tomorrow! :stupid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3185035646&category=2476

"AFA" graded....Wow!...................shut up. :rolleyes:

:speech: Censorship is the antichrist

the_emporer
04-03-2004, 11:19 PM
How 'bout this?

In one hour this moron owes over a hundred bucks for a figure that's free tomorrow! :stupid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3185035646&category=2476

"AFA" graded....Wow!...................shut up. :rolleyes:

:speech: Censorship is the antichrist

True. But, at the right time and at the right store, I could have bought 3 today for the price it will cost me to get one "free" tomorrow. It just doesn't make since! :confused:

Sentinel18725
04-03-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't think these figures are meant to be free. They can be free tomorrow, if you buy your money worth. But, I think that you can buy them today, or tomorrow if you don't want to pay for other Star Wars stuff.

TRU in Aurora, IL had about forty of them and ALL were smashed bubbles! What's going on with this? can anyone look into this and see what the deal is?

Sidiously Darth
04-03-2004, 11:58 PM
This seems to be the norm with most employees at TRU. Shouldn't management be updating their staff on what's going on or maybe a frickin' memo.

I went ahead and ordered mine the other night from Amazon when there was free shipping. Screw driving around looking for one at TRU, especially when I doubt they'll have anything I want. Anyone remember the spend $15 and get a free SW figure. The nice little ad featured Ozzel, Dengar, Bossk & Unleashed X-Wing Luke. I don't even think there was a TRU to be found that had a figure on the pegs worth having for free.

I'm surprised that TRU has managed to stay open all these years with their subpar performance and customer service.

Dr Zoltar
04-04-2004, 12:04 AM
This is fairly par for the course for TRU. Last year I stopped by 3 different TRU's regarding the silver R2 promotion. None of them had any employees that knew about the promotion. I had to speak directly to the manager to get my free figures.

When I first heard last year about the silver clone trooper promotion, I wrote a letter to TRU corporate HQ. I informed them what happened to me during the silver R2 give away, and asked them to please do a better job educating their employees about this one. Seems the managers aren't very good at sharing info to the worker bees. I bet in almost all instances, any silver clones that made it to the floor prior to tomorrow were due to employees just putting out whatever came in with the shipment. Either management didn't tell them about it or the employees just didn't care.

startoys
04-04-2004, 12:42 AM
ok. heres the deal. like i have said before. the silver clone trooper can be sold by itself for 4.99. even though it say on the back not for retail sale. the tru website sells them for 4.99. most people dont have any clue about the action section of the store except for the few who work in the section. dont ever expect that to change. most employees are more worried about thier hair or some crap like that. i know from experience. dont believe me try working at a tru. youll understand then. im a collector. i make it a point to know this especially be that i am the head of 2 "important to collector" departments. best advice i can tell yall. CALL before you go anywhere. if the employee doesnt know what you are talking about ask for the manager. ok. i have no more dates as of yet for the stuff i listed earlier. after the may 15 i will know more. thanks

startoys

Tonysmo
04-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Same deal in STL.. all had the samew bent creased fubar corner.. I found the best two and bought em.. place is a joke nowadays.. midday, 7 people in line.. on cashier.. Ive out stuff down and walked because of that..

oh well.. at least I got them for $5 and not $200 like the moron on Ebay..

B'Omarr Monkey
04-04-2004, 01:27 PM
My TRU had racks of them out today with the $4.99 price and the signs for getting it free for purchasing $14.99 worth of SW. Considering that they had a handful of dusty unleashed figures, a geonosian fighter, a few Jedi 4-packs and a bunch of Zuttons and one Lott Dodd, I'm thinking most people will be shelling out the $4.99.

I primarily came with the hopes that maybe they were waiting to stock some of the recent waves to tie in with the promotion. I should have known better. I did the same thing with the get a free figure pomotion from a few months ago, with the same results (and the same toys on the pegs).

When an employee asked me if they could help me find something, I asked when they were going to have some SW figures that weren't almost 2 years old. He shrugged and walked away.

Personally, I think the silver clone troopers look like crap. They look like someone sprayed painted a bunch of clone trooper figures and their guns silver. I'm a completist and I'm not going to pay for one. I have the R2, which I actually liked because it looked like some care and work was put into its manufacture, and actually had a metaliic look to it. These don't.

Has anyone tried buying three of these and getting an additional one free?

Turbowars
04-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Well today TRU had their heads up their asses. 2 Stars Collectors including me and 3 Hotwheel idiots walked right over to the SW pegs and there were 6 Silver Clones Hanging. We took them to the Cashier and we all bought them for 4.99 each. Everyone left and I stuck around to see if I could get a card in better shape. I saw a few more SW collectors come in and ask for the Clones. They went and got more, but they didn't put them back on the pegs. I heard the manager say, "they all bought them with out spending 14.99?" Well that was the end of buying them for 4.99, so I left.

stillakid
04-04-2004, 03:34 PM
My TRU's (2 close by) didn't even have ANY today. They said that the shipments never came and that they will only get 2 pieces, whatever that means. Why is it that some TRU's are getting truckloads early to sell at will while others get zilch? This is Bullsh.... :frus:

Turbowars
04-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Stilla, you can have my extra.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2004, 07:34 PM
My mom and I went today to TRU. They didn't have any in the store, but since I got $15 worth of stuff (new Skiff Lando, two 2002 Royal Guards), they gave me a raincheck since they'll get some in on Thursday. At first, they didn't have any on the shelves, and we asked the Guest Services girl, and she said they only had one as of this morning. We went back to the section, found Lando, and asked some guy in te department who actually knew what the hell he was talking about, and he said lots of people were asking about it. They could only give out 25 rainchecks, and there were only 3 left after I got mine, so we got there just in time. It was busier than I've ever seen it before, it was very odd.

It was really weird, since they never have anything except Royal Guards, scene packs and old vehicles, they had sme Wampas and Rieekans and the new Lando and TIE Pilot figures. I passed on the TIE Pilot since I ordered him for twice the price just a few days ago from the TRU website. That seems to always happen to me.

Silent Chazz
04-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Well, fate likes to kick me in the arse. These get release when I have no way of getting to a TRU (closest one is 2 hours away), SOOO I get to miss out on this deal.

stillakid
04-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Stilla, you can have my extra.

cool! :D I still have that cardboard thingie I told you about before. Please PM me your address again. I'll be in Burbank tomorrow if you're around during the day.

Thanks! :D

clonehead
04-04-2004, 09:59 PM
i just got one for $20, but it came with a case and had never been touched

Kidhuman
04-04-2004, 10:01 PM
i just got one for $20, but it came with a case and had never been touched

Then how did it get in the case? :beard:

clonehead
04-04-2004, 10:03 PM
with gloves

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-05-2004, 01:22 AM
I kinda wished that the TRU I went to today had them on sale for $4.99. Since they didn't, I had to debate getting a Jedi Warriors 4-pack or Zam or Anakin's Speeder that they had on clearance for $7.98 a while ago, jacked back up (probably because of the sale) to $14.99. I went with the 4-pack (man, they at least could have given us a decent accessory with those rehased figures) and got my free Clonie.

The cashier wasn't cognizant of the offer. She remembered only after I reminded her. So at the very least, she was informed.

BTW, for those who steam over clueless employees, my only advice is, don't sweat the small stuff. I am sure management is to blame for the not informing cashiers, and as long as they have the figure, no biggie.

Card Dreamer
04-05-2004, 01:41 AM
I'm glad I don't like the Silver figures and therefore don't bother trying. I'd hate to go through half of what you all were forced to deal with. I hate that kind of crap....

Deoxyribonucleic
04-05-2004, 01:43 AM
I had the same problem too at tru, the cashier didn't know what was going on and she asked the manager.

It's REALLY simple to "inform" employees of promotions...I work at Barnes and Noble and we put up pre-printed miniature 1" x 8" cards along the side of the cash register/monitor each month so all of the cashiers know what's going on in the store as a simple glance to the right will let them know what's on promo. Managers and supervisors know because we are the ones that put up the promos and we go over each zone of the store. Never been a time it hasn't worked and it certainly ain't rocket science!!

hehe :crazed:

jjreason
04-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Well it's got to be confusing for those jokers working at TRU, they're giving away SO MANY FREE THINGS ALL THE TIME, that this promo just blends in with the thousands of other times every year they GIVE AWAY FREE STUFF! :D

The whole organization is a gong show. Hire a few people for every store that have a clue about what they're selling and/or stocking and/or ordering for pity's sake. And figure out how to clearance some CRAP once in awhile. It seems that in the toy business wasted shelf space doesn't equal horrendous effects on profit margins like it does in many other ventures.

EDITED: Heh, this is my last OT "Year of Release" celebratory post. Yay, ROJ!

mm74md
04-05-2004, 10:38 AM
I had no problems getting mine. Stopped in after church...picked out some potential SW birthday gifts..went to the checkout in the video game section where the clones are "secured" with the video games...got my Silver Clone without even asking...paid & went home happy! :D

Don't get mad at the employees...do you think they enjoy being at work on the weekends dealing with aggressive Star Wars collectors??? In case you didn't notice, they have all kinds of promotions going on right now throughout the store. I doubt each store is going to have a special team meeting prepping employees about a free Star Wars toy.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
I had no problems getting mine. Stopped in after church...picked out some potential SW birthday gifts..went to the checkout in the video game section where the clones are "secured" with the video games...got my Silver Clone without even asking...paid & went home happy! :D

Don't get mad at the employees...do you think they enjoy being at work on the weekends dealing with aggressive Star Wars collectors??? In case you didn't notice, they have all kinds of promotions going on right now throughout the store. I doubt each store is going to have a special team meeting prepping employees about a free Star Wars toy.

It sounds like you are uniquely fortunate among all the SSG forumites to have a TRU where someone actually does their job through being informed by management. It's the employees' jobs to know all about the promos and the managment's responsibility to inform them of what is going on. All they need to do is put out a memo or have an informal chat on Sun. morning before opening and say "Hey, this is what's going on this week." Doesn't sound to hard to me, especially when there are stores like WM kicking their arse in sales. You'd think they'd want to have the edge by giving exemplary customer service. Additionally, after all the years of them selling SW collectibles and dealing with collectors they should know that people will ask about special promos and offers.

There is definitely a missing link in the chain between the front office/marketing and the stores.

TheDarthVader
04-05-2004, 03:35 PM
:( <-- that sums my experience at TRU today. I went to the Star Wars section and found ZERO silver clone troopers on the pegs for $4.99. So I picked out four saga figures (older) and went to the checkout to get my free silver clone trooper. The cashier had no clue about the promotion. I waited for a manager and, at first, he acted like they did not have any. He said, "Let me see if we have any." Then he walked away but before he left I told him that I wanted one in "good condition". The manager came back with one in his hand and said, "They were locked away in the office. Is this one good enough for you?" And I looked at it...I said, "I think so." But as I looked at it more closely 1. The bubble was "mounted" on the card at an angle and 2. There was a dent on the top of the bubble. So I told him, "No. There's a dent on top of the bubble." He said, "I didn't notice that." So he turns and goes back to find another one. The next one he brought out was "acceptable" but not in C-9 condition or anything like that. I just wanted a nice example for my collection. Is that too much to ask when I am spending $19.96 in SW stuff that I don't even NEED? I don't think it is.
AND WHY, OH WHY, WERE ALL OF THE CLONES "LOCKED AWAY IN THE OFFICE?" The office is not a store room. Something fishy is going on here!!!!!!!!!! :(

Sidiously Darth
04-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, I have some good news. An Amazon package showed up today with my Silver Clone, all C-9 of him. I'll just count myself as lucky b/c I've heard the stories of the crushed ones showing up in stores. It's not hard to believe considering how many they stuff in those boxes.

Now for the bad news, I'm probably going to open him. He must be freed from his plastic prison. Bwaaa Haaa Haaa Haaaaaaa!!! :crazed:

Sorry about that. :nerv:

Turbowars
04-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Don't get mad at the employees...do you think they enjoy being at work on the weekends dealing with aggressive Star Wars collectors??? In case you didn't notice, they have all kinds of promotions going on right now throughout the store. I doubt each store is going to have a special team meeting prepping employees about a free Star Wars toy. I hope you are joking. This is what makes me mad about the work force these days. Ummm did you forget that these employees chose to work there? Do you think they should just sit on there behinds and do nothing for a hourly wage? I worked in retail for years and yes they should have team meeting to inform the employees in what is going on. Since TRU doesn't, it really makes you think what these so called store managers are doing. Most of the time they are slipping Hot toys out the back door.:nerv:

kool-aid killer
04-05-2004, 09:23 PM
I went to my TRU yesterday and picked up Anakins Starfighter. I went to pick up my Silver Clone at the customer service desk and the girl wasnt as clueless as some of you seem to have gotten stuck with. She said they hadnt gotten any and i needed a rain check. Im hoping they do get them in soon, though i wouldnt be suprised if the whole rain check thing wasnt just a ploy to get me out the store quickly.

plasticfetish
04-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Well it's got to be confusing for those jokers working at TRU, they're giving away SO MANY FREE THINGS ALL THE TIME, that this promo just blends in with the thousands of other times every year they GIVE AWAY FREE STUFF! :D
OUCH!

The whole organization is a gong show. Hire a few people for every store that have a clue about what they're selling and/or stocking and/or ordering for pity's sake. And figure out how to clearance some CRAP once in awhile. It seems that in the toy business wasted shelf space doesn't equal horrendous effects on profit margins like it does in many other ventures.
Double OUCH!
You Sir... get a gold star for that one.

-----

I may end up returning mine, the expiration date on the front says 2003, and I'm a little worried about freshness. :rolleyes: But that's OK, since most of what TRU has on the shelf/pegs is from early 2003, this promo makes a lot of sense.

Masterjedi73
04-06-2004, 07:54 AM
I went yesterday to pick some of them up, but they didn't have ANYTHING I wanted to spend my $15. or $30. on. So I took one to the cashier and asked if I could just buy it and she said yes.

So I bought three of them. Two for myself, and one that my son bought with his allowance to open.

They all were in great shape. Only one of them had a slightly creased card.

it's in Watchung, NJ. They had plenty.

Darth Alex
04-06-2004, 09:07 AM
I went to the TRU near Williamsport, PA to get a silver clone or two last night....and again, they have no idea what I am talking about. This is the SAME thing that happened when they had the silver R2 giveaway promotion. In fact, I took a raincheck then and after 3 weeks when I stopped in I found out that they were not going to fill the rainchecks and they didn't have a reason as to why they never got the R2 stock. This time the TRU stock computer was showing 2- and it took 4 employees AND the 2nd-in-command vice-manager to figure out that these were rainchecks logged in to their database. Then they tell me they never got the clones and don't know why.

As far as getting mad at the employees, I agree to a point. But if you work in retail is it beyond the bounds of logic to think that employees and/or management might LOOK at the weekly sale ads to see what's going on? I don't think there should be after work meetings and on-the-spot quizzes:crazed: but when I go to a register and have to ask for my free swag and THEN get a look like I'm a space alien about to EAT the store employees, well, there's something wrong. The register clerks continually make themselves look silly when I get blank stares at the WEEKLY ADS, :eek:-yes, this kind of stare!
The TRU near me has a district manager coming on 4/6(today) and the team;) told me they could ask 'em and maybe they'd get an answer. Apparantly the DM is genderless as I did not hear once if they were a he or a she-maybe they're a corporate robot:crazed: .
Anyway, this is just ridiculous. This is too much work to get a five-buck figure spray painted in shiny,shiny silver. If I'm gonna HAVE to get all my SW stuff online because store can not even stock what they are spending money on to promote, then I'm gonna HAVE to rethink why I even collect. I've said it before and I'll say it again: when I have to make calls and stop at stores constantly to try and find toys that should be regularly available and restocked, then I don't know what I'm doing collecting in the first place. And getting everything on line kills the thrill of finding what I should be able to go rightfully buy IN STORE!
If I want a loaf of bread, I go to the store and buy it.
If I want a copy of Matrix Revolutions all shiny and new, I can go and even use ads to get the lowest price: Circuit City, CVS, TRU, Walmart, my mom, the post office, EVERYONE has it and has a lot on sale! Well, not my mom or the USPS, but you get the point.
Going to TRU to buy up the stuff they can't get rid of to get a promotional figure they aren't aware of and then don't know where it is to get some just makes me want to chuck the hobby in the garbage.
You know, 2 years from now it'll be really interesting to see the state of the SW hobby. After the OTC dvd campaign, after the 5/19/05 release, after the fall 05 Ep3 dvd release, just what is Hasbro gonna do with the retailers that can not seem to get it together now until 2017 or whenever they have the license? I bet that they bought up the rights just to sit on 'em so Mattel or Mcfarlane don't come in and take over. Seriously, there is no doubt in my mind that when the movies and dvds are done the line at traditional retail is gonna fall hard. Believe me, I don't want it too at ALL. I wouldn't go through the time, money, and trouble to try and get the SW stuff I want, which is pretty much all of the 3 3/4" releases.
Ok, rant over, breath, breath...:bored:

mm74md
04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
AND WHY, OH WHY, WERE ALL OF THE CLONES "LOCKED AWAY IN THE OFFICE?" The office is not a store room. Something fishy is going on here!!!!!!!!!! :(

So employees don't sell them outright or employees take them. A suburban DC TRU that I frequent got their cases in (seems most stores are getting 32 of them) last week. The one kid that works in the SW section said someone bought all of them up even before the promotion started.

mm74md
04-06-2004, 10:27 AM
No I am not joking. The "workforce" in TRU, KB, etc.. are not in that position because of a career choice. They are typically teens, college kids, or bored former stay at home parents who want a little extra cash. They don't care about that job, and I don't blame them. The only career people are the managers. If you are going to be rude to someone because they weren't informed of the latest Star Wars promotion, be rude to the manager.

I also worked in retail at KB Toys while in college. I thank the Lord that Star Wars figures weren't out at that time so I didn't have to deal with such nonsense. :crazed:

I hope you are joking. This is what makes me mad about the work force these days. Ummm did you forget that these employees chose to work there? Do you think they should just sit on there behinds and do nothing for a hourly wage? I worked in retail for years and yes they should have team meeting to inform the employees in what is going on. Since TRU doesn't, it really makes you think what these so called store managers are doing. Most of the time they are slipping Hot toys out the back door.:nerv:

arctangent
04-06-2004, 10:55 AM
son't maon. at least some of you got your silver clone trooper, even if you had to ask dimwitted shop assistants for one. this has not been released in the uk. we don't get a free silver clone trooper however much we spend. we have to buy one from a speciallity/on-line shop at 25.00 (about $43.00) a go. so spare a though for us british collectors as you are strolling out of toys r us with you shiney silver clone trooper :cry: .

i guess on the plus side it means i don't have to deal with the ignorant pondlife who seem to work in toys r us. they say every cloud has a silver lining lol !

Mandalorian Candidat
04-06-2004, 11:42 AM
If you haven't got a clone trooper yet don't feel bad. I got one last night and it is literally a piece of garbage. It's not even silver like how the R2 was from last year's TRU promo. It's just the preview clone trooper spray painted with silver krylon in a banged up bubble on a jacked up card. All the ones I saw last night were really trashed, and I'm not the only one who's come across thrashed cards and bubbles. If you really want one, I would recommend not buying anything you don't really care for to get it. I'm glad that at least I got Jabba and the Denizens, two sets I've been wanting, instead of some POC just to get it.

Jayspawn
04-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Well I got ripped at TRU this morning. I went in to the Mississippi store today looking for new stuff -nothing new of course. On my way out a Manager asked if he could help me find anything and I asked about the Silver Clonetroopers. One of the kids behind the servce desk said "Oh yes, we have them in -right here." So he reaches into tis box and pulls one out to show me. I said cool and went to go purchase $14.99 worth of stuff (got 2 red protocals and a Hoth Soldier I of course already have) I went to checkout bought them went back to the service desk to get my Clone. The lady there said "Oh those are all gone. We have 3 left and those are on hold for someone" I asked if I could get a raincheck she said "Oh no -we dont do those. These were only while supplies last and we're not getting anymore."

WTF?! I told her that I only bought the figures I just did so I can get one of those. She said "Oh well I'm sorry about that. If you hold onto your reciept and somebody returns one of theirs we'll honor your reciept."

What a bunch of bull. Like somebodys gonna do that.

Toys'R'Us doesnt at all know their business. They must be in the habbit of hiring morons latley.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-06-2004, 12:26 PM
son't maon. = don't moan I presume??

But that's what we Americans do ;)

Plastic Fetish, where'd you end up getting yours and whadya get to get him, if you get what I'm getting at???? :crazed:

Card Dreamer
04-06-2004, 04:23 PM
No I am not joking. The "workforce" in TRU, KB, etc.. are not in that position because of a career choice. They are typically teens, college kids, or bored former stay at home parents who want a little extra cash. They don't care about that job, and I don't blame them. The only career people are the managers. If you are going to be rude to someone because they weren't informed of the latest Star Wars promotion, be rude to the manager.
This is not true. All people openly and knowing made the decision to walk into THAT particular store to apply for a job as apposed say, the store next door. Heck, maybe they did put in for the store next door. Point is, they could have skipped it and only applied at places they WANTED to work, but made the CHOICE to broaden that view. It's ALL choice in one form or another. They DECIDED they needed.wanted more money and CHOSE to get a job for it.

Kidhuman
04-06-2004, 06:02 PM
I went yesterday to pick some of them up, but they didn't have ANYTHING I wanted to spend my $15. or $30. on. So I took one to the cashier and asked if I could just buy it and she said yes.

So I bought three of them. Two for myself, and one that my son bought with his allowance to open.

They all were in great shape. Only one of them had a slightly creased card.

it's in Watchung, NJ. They had plenty.

I hope you got a free one too. 3 silver clones equals a free one by price.

Turbowars
04-06-2004, 07:55 PM

I also worked in retail at KB Toys while in college. I thank the Lord that Star Wars figures weren't out at that time so I didn't have to deal with such nonsense. :crazed:I didn't say it was a career choice, but they did take a job, so they should do it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-06-2004, 11:02 PM
The free figure may be crappy, the money spent to get it may be high, and the pickins' at TRU may be slim, but the good thing about this sale, is that it has cleared out a good portion of the old merchandise that has hung around the shelves of TRU such as a few Jedi Starfighters, Speeders, and 12 inch (which just got discounted to $9.98).

There is no excuse after this sale for TRU to have nothing but new stock to sell.

Kidhuman
04-06-2004, 11:08 PM
The free figure may be crappy, the money spent to get it may be high, and the pickins' at TRU may be slim, but the good thing about this sale, is that it has cleared out a good portion of the old merchandise that has hung around the shelves of TRU such as a few Jedi Starfighters, Speeders, and 12 inch (which just got discounted to $9.98).

There is no excuse after this sale for TRU to have nothing but new stock to sell.

Isnt that the truth. Now hopefully they can get some stock.

TheDarthVader
04-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I agree. Maybe now some NEW figures will be put out on the shelf. I had to buy the $15 worth of figures...I could not buy mine for $4.99. That is what I would have done if my TRU had been doing business the RIGHT way. Oh well, at least I have one to go with R2, Boba, and Vader.

Card Dreamer
04-07-2004, 01:27 AM

No no no no! You're completely forgetting about the 6 or so boxes of the old stuff still sitting in the back under the 10" layer of dust!! It's time to to spring clean back there now!! :crazed:

ronhudy
04-07-2004, 08:34 PM
I got mine in Vegas yesterday. They had a whole case, and mine's in pretty good shape. The edge of the card was a little warped, but 24 hours under Webster's dictionary will fix that! I bought the TRU Jedi 4-pack. Kind of a waste, since I have these figures individually already anyway...I'll probably just return it next week.

By the way, this Silver Clone Trooper is a little disappointing to me...anyone else? I mean, it doesn't have that nice,shiny "chrome" look that the R2 had. Kind of looks like they just took a Clone Trooper and spray painted it with silver spray paint...

Reefer Shark
04-07-2004, 09:04 PM
the good thing about this sale, is that it has cleared out a good portion of the old merchandise that has hung around the shelves of TRU such as a few Jedi Starfighters, Speeders, and 12 inch (which just got discounted to $9.98).

It's good to see that it's working at some TRU's. I'll tell you though... the TRU's around here still have the same old crap lingering on the shelves. The only thing that seems to have dissapeared are the regular sized vehicles.

The sales not over yet though... so I guess there is still a shred of hope :D!

Masterjedi73
04-07-2004, 09:39 PM
I hope you got a free one too. 3 silver clones equals a free one by price.

I thought about it, but I didn't need another one...so I just left them there for others to pick up. The resale value on ebay isn't any good either....not worth the time.

Jaff
04-07-2004, 11:21 PM
In New York on Tuesday I go into my local Toys R Us and saw the Clone Trooper sign posted. Before I picked stuff off the shelves I went to the front desk to ask about it. They didn't know anything about it. Apparently they never got them, but I e-mailed another local collector about it and he said that he got two from the very store I was at that day!
I shrugged that off and today I was in Montoursville, Pennsylvania looking for a new home, and stopped by a Toys R Us out of curiosity. They never got any they said! :confused: They did have the Rogue Leader X-Wing though, so it's out folks!
Now I thought something was fishy so when I got home after my trip I called the same Toy's R Us I visited on Tuesday and asked if they had any of those clones and they said they had one left. I got it, even though the card was badly creased by case packing (C-5), but I was happy with what I got considering it would probably be the only chance I would have to get one.

There's a real lack of consistency with these silver clone troopers, and that's all I have to say about that!

arctangent
04-08-2004, 06:00 AM
= don't moan I presume??

But that's what we Americans do ;)

yeah, sorry. my fingers must have been feeling drunk or dyslexic.

you get cheap star wars figures and you get free star wars figures. and you still moan :confused: ?

you must have some british blood in you somewhere :ermm:

Kidhuman
04-08-2004, 08:02 AM
This country was founded by British people. :beard:

Darth Alex
04-08-2004, 08:38 AM
In New York on Tuesday I go into my local Toys R Us and saw the Clone Trooper sign posted. Before I picked stuff off the shelves I went to the front desk to ask about it. They didn't know anything about it. Apparently they never got them, but I e-mailed another local collector about it and he said that he got two from the very store I was at that day!
I shrugged that off and today I was in Montoursville, Pennsylvania looking for a new home, and stopped by a Toys R Us out of curiosity. They never got any they said! :confused: They did have the Rogue Leader X-Wing though, so it's out folks!
Now I thought something was fishy so when I got home after my trip I called the same Toy's R Us I visited on Tuesday and asked if they had any of those clones and they said they had one left. I got it, even though the card was badly creased by case packing (C-5), but I was happy with what I got considering it would probably be the only chance I would have to get one.

There's a real lack of consistency with these silver clone troopers, and that's all I have to say about that!Since I live in Williamsport, I have to wonder WHY anyone would move to Montoursville. Especially if you collect SW stuff-this area stinks for finds:bored: .
I've been here 2 1/2 years and want to get out as soon as I can on a personal note-far too conservative and not much social activity going on.
Anyway, I was at the TRU in Montoursville yesterday around 6:15PM and I didn't see any of the X-wings...there was however some new space in the SW vehicle area. Good find! I'll stop back tonight to see if more got put out-either you were there after me or someone bought up the initial stock as is usually the case.

I'm not sure how bad the 04 stocking is going in NY, but this is the worst year for finds I've seen since I picked up the hobby in mid-97.:neutral:

The silver Clones are supposed to be in either yesterday(obviously not) or today. The manager said she'd sell them for 4.99 since the promotion got messed up and I have 2 for myself and 2 for two other collectors on hold...if they ever show up. They have my phone number, so if I get the call I'll post the info:crazed:

arctangent
04-08-2004, 09:30 AM
This country was founded by British people. :beard:

well there you go, i was probably right ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
04-08-2004, 11:54 AM
you get cheap star wars figures and you get free star wars figures. and you still moan :confused: ?

Not thizzzzz one :) My clone trooper experience was fine...the salesgirl didn't know of it so she just went to ask the manager and that was that. But on the other hand, working were I work and seeing how easy it actually is to "inform" and "communicate" with employees, I can see how some might be upset as it seems their experiences were pretty down right crappy :dis:

but the BIG PICTURE is that we are damned lucky that all we have to worry about is if our clone trooper card or bubble is bent or dented, for serious!!

you must have some british blood in you somewhere :ermm:

I'm looking right now................I'll get back to you on that one :crazed: ;) :alien:

plasticfetish
04-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Fee Fi Fo Fum...

mtriv73
04-11-2004, 12:04 AM
I was in the TRU in Frederick, MD on Thursday and talked to a guy who works there and is also a collector. He said they still had almost all the ones they were given (they keep them in the managers office until someone buys the appropriate amount of SW merchandise.) Unfortunately, besides the red leader x-wing which I wouldn't even buy on clearance, they didn't have jack worth wasting $15 on to get the figure. What's the point of running a promotion if you have nothing to promote?

dr_evazan22
04-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Well, after reading a post here last week I went in and asked if I could just purchase 2 fig's. The clerk was very nice and asked the manager if I could do it, but no. She told me the promo was ending this past Sat night, that any leftovers would be on the pegs at opening this morning.

So this morning I go in, place my Han Unleashed at the return desk and went and picked up 2 Clones (intending to leave one behind since I've already opened the one I got with Han). The lady didn't even question me about the clone. She didn't give any indication she noticed it was on the receipt.

So now I have 3. I have a friend in upstate NW PA who doesn't have a TRU near her. She'll like to get it.

plasticfetish
04-13-2004, 03:42 AM
I walked in to TRU today and there was a peg with 6 or 7 silver clones on it, all for sale, but bent and battered. I assumed that I was looking at the promotion leftovers. So ends another Toys"R"us Star Wars promotion.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-13-2004, 12:01 PM
I walked in to TRU today and there was a peg with 6 or 7 silver clones on it, all for sale, but bent and battered. I assumed that I was looking at the promotion leftovers. So ends another Toys"R"us Star Wars promotion.

Sad, sad, sad.......

was this at Cerritos TRU??

hahhahahhahahhahhahehehehahhahha :crazed:

DarkArtist
04-13-2004, 10:10 PM
At least you found one . I went to four different toys r us and not one to be had, to top it all off no one knew what I was talking about.

the_emporer
04-13-2004, 10:19 PM
A quick follow-up to my original message:

I called the TRU in Harrisonburg Monday to see if they ever got any in. I talked to 2 people and waited about 5 minutes and was told they got some in but they were all gone. I was in Harrisonburg for something else this afternoon and decided to drop by the TRU. They still had the promotion advertisement hanging in the SW isle. I went to the service desk to see if they had anymore figures. The manager said sure and went to the store room and bought out a box of about 10 figures. I picked out two in good shape and purchased them for $4.99. This has been the most confusing promotion I have ever seen!! :crazed:

Ji'dai
04-14-2004, 06:08 PM
As I was leaving TRU last Friday, I saw an employee putting the Clones out at the registers, so I asked to buy one outright, but told it was only available with purchase. Nothing new in the SW aisle to purchase anyway, so I left.

Today I find some clearanced Clone Wars 3-packs and discover that all the Silver Clones are gone, the cashier said that someone came in and bought them all since the "promotion" was over. WTF? :mad:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Sad, sad, sad.......

was this at Cerritos TRU??

hahhahahhahahhahhahehehehahhahha :crazed:

Funny, DN. I used to shop there when I lived in Bellflower.

Sad that it's gone downhill. They used to be OK when I was there 4 years ago.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Sad that it's gone downhill. They used to be OK when I was there 4 years ago.

Boy you said it! I like going to the one up on Cherry ave now, in Long Beach, better than the Cerritos TRU. Plus the parking lot at Cerritos always reeks of urine :dead:

is there a choking smiley anywhere?? lol