PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs 2004

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Well after a long, grinding hockey season, the NHL playoffs are finally here and the most coveted trophy in all of sports, The Stanley Cup, is up for grabs. The matchups are all set and it looks like, as expected, we have quite a few rivalries, especially in the East.

I always looking forward to "the real season" because after the hum-drum of many regular season games, you get to see exemplary efforts by players, real toughness, and incredible hard work. This is the time of the year where legends and stories are made. It's a shame that many fans tune-out once their team fails to move on. They're missing some great hockey.

(1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders (8)

The Eastern Conference's best and surprise team battles the scrappy Long Islanders. If I were the Lightning, I would be worried. The Isles worked well versus the 'Ning this year and beat them down the stretch a couple of times. NY has the best home record in the East (and I think the league). If they can steal one of the first two games, they would have a major advantage the rest of the series. As good as the 'Ning were, with St. Louis on a rampage and Andreychuk playing 20 years younger than he is, the goaltending was shaky and look for the Isles to expose that. For senimental reasons I want Tampa but on instinct I will pick the Isles.
prediction: Isles in 6

(2) Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens (6)

If this were any other team, Boston would be worried. They have a fabulous road record and only an average home record. If they opened on the road, the series would be a near guarantee. But since they are the higher seed, they will open at the Fleet Center where they are a little shaky. But Les Habitants floated into the playoffs and I don't think have the experience needed to move far in the playoffs. One X factor is the health of Joe Thornton who has an upper body injury. If he sits out, the Canadiens have a fighting chance. But look for Joe to toughen up and look for a Bruins series win.
prediction: Boston in 5

(3) Philadelphia Flyers vs. New Jersey Devils (6)

Don't let the Flyers fool you. They played well enough to earn the Atlantic Division but I think they are a team lacking in goaltending, and as you well know, without fact, you cannot win the Cup. Esche has let in some softies and Burke had one good playoff run over 15 years ago, and that was it. Also, the Flyers are playing a team that is famous for playing their best hockey this time of the year. The Devils are the defending Stanley Cup Champs and that can't be overlooked. Plus the inevitable fact that you need to beat Brodeur 4 times in 7 games to win the series. Also, the Flyers have been hobbled by key injuries. If they can't get healthy for the series, look for that to negatively effect them. I am actually rooting for Philly (first time in my life) because who besides Devils fans want to see another championship for New Jersey, a team that only sells out games when the other New York area teams play, despite the fact they've had a pretty good record for oh-about 12 years now.
prediction: Devils in 6

(4)Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators (5)

The Sens need to win. There is no question. For the future of their coach and some of their players, another early playoff exit will spell doom. This team has had some great regular seasons, and almost made it to the Finals last year, but that has been it. The Leafs made some key trading deadline acquisitions in getting Leetch and Francis, and their message is key too. Win the Cup. They have probably the most experienced veteran team in the NHL. I want Ottawa because of Robbie Ray however, the Leafs though own the Sens and they will win.
prediciton: Leafs in 7

I'll get the Western Conference in tomorrow. Gotta hit the sack. :D

jjreason
04-05-2004, 01:12 AM
East:

1 Tampa vs. 8 NY Islanders - Lightning in 6.
4 Toronto vs. 5 Ottawa - This is the Senators' year, this time they'll do it.
2 Boston vs. 7 Montreal - Long time enemies, should be great. Go Habs go.
3 Philly vs. 6 New Jersey - Look in the nets. NJ in 5.

West:

1 Detroit vs. 8 Nashville - Wings in 5. Little trouble with the Preds this year.
4 Colorado vs. 5 St. Louis - Colorado. Too much experience and talent.
2 San Jose vs. Dallas - Sharks cooling off? Dallas is pretty solid. Good match.
3 Vancouver vs. 6 Calgary - Canucks.

I'm liking Detroit in the West (totally biased, of course :D ) and rooting for Ottawa in the East. Nice to see so many Canadian teams in the hunt; very nearly a clean sweep with the Oilers narrowly missing a playoff spot.

Kidhuman
04-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Gonna be great to watch as always. Gotta love the OT rules. Hopefully we can get those 3 and 4 and 5 OT games.

GOnna goout on a limb and say Toronto vs Wings for the finals. :beard:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-05-2004, 10:16 AM
jj, you are going to have to revise your Western picks. The Sharks and the Blues will square off in the first round as well as the Avalanche and the Stars.

Now here are my Western Conference Picks.

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. Nashville Predators (8)

Last year was a fluke for Detroit. They were swept by a young upstart Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the first round. Will this year be different? I think the pressure is too great for the coaching staff of Detroit to suffer another first round loss when your team is expected to compete for the Cup. Nashville's inexperience in the playoffs is key, and the Wings matchup well against them. The only question Detroit may have is their goaltending with the injuries to Hasek and Joseph. But the rest of the team will carry the load for the goaltender Legace should he happen to falter a bit.
prediction: Red Wings in 5

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. St Louis Blues (7)

San Jose took a step backwards last year by not qualifying for the playoffs, but they more than made up for it by capturing the Division Title this season. They got solid goaltending in Nabakov and balanced scoring. The Blues squeaked into the playoffs to keep their streak alive for most consecutive years in making the playoffs in pro sports. They are playing great hockey as of late, but I see a burnout coming for them.
prediction: Sharks in 6

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames (6)

Can the Flames break out of a first-round funk that has been 15 years in the making? The last time they moved past the first round they won the Cup (in '89). They haven't qualified for the postseason in 7 years, and assembled a hard-working squad that has got the job done this year. Couple that with the superb goaltending of Kiprusoff, and you have a solid team capable of doing damage. The Canucks were never the same after they lost Bertuzzi and have struggled to regain play from their earlier form. Cloutier has never impressed me as a goaltender. Even though they have home ice, I forecast an upset in the making.
prediction: Flames in a hard-fought 7 game series

(4) Colorado Avalanche vs. Dallas Stars (5)

Can the Avs survive life after Roy? David Aebischer was a solid backup and started off the year impressively, but he has not put up great numbers since. The team as a whole struggled as of late, despite some infusion of life during the trading deadline (Barnaby, Gratton). The Avs have a poor home record for a playoff bound team and if the Stars can steal Game 1 or 2, look for them to win the Series. Dallas has been playing excellent hockey as of late, and have a fantastic record in their home building. I look for a mini-upset of sorts with the Stars shining in this series.
prediciton: Stars in 6

Mandalorian Candidat
04-05-2004, 10:38 AM
I haven't been into hockey as much this season due to two major school projects, plus my Ducks and Kings are MIA. I'd like to see a Canadian team, like the Sens win it all this year. It's been a while since one has won the cup. Wasn't it Montreal in 1993?

Rocketboy
04-05-2004, 11:04 AM
East:
1 Tampa vs. 8 NY Islanders - Lightning in 6
4 Toronto vs. 5 Ottawa - Ottawa in 6
2 Boston vs. 7 Montreal - Boston in 5
3 Philly vs. 6 New Jersey - Jersey upsets in 6. My pick for best 1st round series in the East. How can you go against Brodeur?

West:
1 Detroit vs. 8 Nashville - Wings in 4, maybe 5 easily.
4 Colorado vs. 5 St. Louis - As much as I loathe them, Colorado in 6. The Blues won't go down without some fight.
2 San Jose vs. Dallas - San Jose in 7. Both good teams. Best 1st round series in the West.
3 Vancouver vs. 6 Calgary - Vancouver. Didn't realize Calgary was good enough to make it that high in the playoffs.

Detroit of the cup!

mabudonicus
04-05-2004, 04:09 PM
All's I'll say is GO LEAFS GO.... unless that last blowout was a feint, Ottawa is in big trouble...
And JJ, don't you wanna watch a finals game with me, Leafs and all :beard: ???

Vortex
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
I'll jump in again since I think I won last years.

East:
Tampa vs. NY Islanders - Going 7 and look for Tampa to pull this out. This will come down to goal tending. Isles needed Buffalo to fold at the end of the season to get in and don't look too strong with untested backup goalies.

Toronto vs. Ottawa - Very tough call on this blood bath. Ottawa in 6. Toronto folds too easy come cup time and Mogilny and the rest of the old codgers need to contribute and show up for the games. Hasn't Quinn learned you can't buy a team just before playoffs. Eddy's got a bad back and Kidd can't carry the load or pressure.

Boston vs. Montreal - Old time hockey here. Boston in 6. Boston on the hunch that its 1st line will do major damage to Habs. Plus still don't think Theodore is all he's cracked up to be. Don't think he'll get hot this time of year. Brian Boucher, Checkmanick, Giggy...all superstars at some point in past playoffs. On hit wonders...with some flashes in the pan since, but I think Theodore is in the same boat. Won't hit the same past glory.

Philly vs. New Jersey - Hard call. Philly in 7. Philly is going with Esche and the heart of the devils D, Stevens, is out for who knows how long for Jersey. Jersey is a heavy D team and without Stevens they have a major chink in their armor. Philly has some sharp shooters and is more offensive minded...baring more injuries to their top lines....I have to tip my hat to the Flyers on this one.

West:

Detroit vs. Nashville - Smelling upset again. Predators in 6. I don't think the grey haired old timers have got the legs anymore. Regular season is one thing, playoffs are another. This match up was a split decision during regular season, but my gut says go with the upset.

Colorado vs. Dallas - This should be a good war. Lanch in 7. Both teams hate each other. Dallas's ice this time of year will be a major factor. This will be a blow out if Colorado is firing on all cylinders and the all-star line ups are clicking. Dallas is gritty and has an advantage with their buildings ice and humidity, but it might cost them in the thin colorado air. Lanch have too much fire power for the well rounded stars and with the lanch having home ice advantage I have to tip my hat to colorado.

San Jose vs. St. Louis - ZZZZ, ZZZZ...huh, pick this round. Sharks in 7. What a sleeper this should turn out to be. Head to Head was split 2-2 with the sharks scoing 10 goals and the Blues scoring 9. Lets see 19 goals, divided by 4 games...about 4 goals a game, better than most, but I'm sorry I have no interest in this match up. Sharks just because I detest the Blues and Keith Ta-Chuck-Ta-Chuck-Ta-Puke. What a hack.

Vancouver vs. Calgary - 'Nother upset here Flames in 7. Canucks bought some fire power but it won't make up for the fact that Dan "The Funnel" Cloutier gets rattled easy and with Iginla and Flames picking up steam these last few weeks I have to go with the Flames. The Canucks had a game advantage over the Flames in head to head, but the Canucks don't have a big guy to forecheck and take up space in front of the Flames net. Going upset here.

CaptainSolo1138
04-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Detroit over Toronto for the Cup. The only real problem I can see for the Wings in the west is Vancouver. The Detroit-Colorado rivalry is great, but the competition by the Avs has fallen short recently.

pegger
04-06-2004, 02:53 PM
East:

4 Toronto vs. 5 Ottawa - This is the Senators' year, this time they'll do it.

jj - I see you have seen the light!!!

Sorry Mabudon....Sens in 6.....

mabudonicus
04-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey, pegger, you didn't say how your team is gonna do....

Oh, wait, that's righhht.........

Sorry to bring it up, man ;)!!!!

Good to "see" you around, too, bro, I'll be participating in this thread a bit longer than some have predicted, I hope..... MANY have predicted..... :(

pegger
04-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Hey, pegger, you didn't say how your team is gonna do....

Oh, wait, that's righhht.........

Sorry to bring it up, man ;)!!!!

Good to "see" you around, too, bro, I'll be participating in this thread a bit longer than some have predicted, I hope..... MANY have predicted..... :(

That's cold man...just cold....

I usually look at it this way....They've been undefeated for the last 10 years!!

It's nice to know you'll be posting for 6 games though... lol

jjreason
04-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Bah, I got the matchups screwy. Let me see here: San Jose should rip St. Louis, and I'll take Colorado over Dallas (only the Red Wings reserve the right to woop up on those damned Avs come playoff time - for the past 5 years, this has been the greatest rivallry in sports).

Provided they can stay healthy, the Wings are looking good.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Provided they can stay healthy, the Wings are looking good.
That's my biggest worry. Even though Detroit has their injured "stars" back, my guess is that most of them are only 85-90% healthy. If it weren't playoff time, I think at least Robert Lang would've sat out another week. And I really don't care about CuJo's ankle. I've always been a big Manny Legace fan and I'm glad he's finally getting this chance to REALLY prove himself. That is if Detroit's awesome defensive pairings let anybody into the zone at all. Last year was a fluke (Jean-Sebastian who? I'm glad to see Anaheim wrapped so much money up in that flash in the pan. Hey J.S.: Blaine Lacher called. He said thanks for making him look good!) and I think Detroit is just too deep and focused this year to do anything but win the cup. But if they don't, bye-bye Dave Lewis!

jjreason
04-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Man, you really think they'd gas Lewis? I think he's a pretty good fit there, kind of in the mode of Phil Jackson: you've got more than enough tools, just kind of stand back and let them make magic. The biggest job for him is to manage any personality conflicts that come up, and pat the boys on the back the right amount. I'm happy they came to life in the third, the old Joe was eerily quiet. I think we were all sweating thinking of a stunning game 1 loss last year. There must have been a huge sigh of relief when we finally scored to tie it up.

Now, my thoughts are focused on the Sens - come on boys, BEAT THOSE LEAFS!!!!!

Kidhuman
04-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Caught some of the Detriot game and The Avs game last night. Colorado came out strong. They looked real good. Love the second season.

Rocketboy
04-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Man, you really think they'd gas Lewis? I think he's a pretty good fit there, kind of in the mode of Phil Jackson: you've got more than enough tools, just kind of stand back and let them make magic. The biggest job for him is to manage any personality conflicts that come up, and pat the boys on the back the right amount.With the team they have, almost anyone could coach the Wings.

jjreason
04-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Exactly my point - he's making good money doing a relatively "easy" job, as far as coaching goes. The key is to keep everyone happy in terms of egos and icetime.

Surprised to see Philly handle New Jersey, and it was nice to see the old Leafs start with a loss. :P

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
04-10-2004, 08:25 PM
As a Washington Capitals fan, I've experienced one heck of a painful season- too many trades and not many wins. With that said, I've narrowed my picks to the teams with former Capitals:

Eastern Conference
Boston (Gonchar, Nylander)
Ottawa (Bondra)

Western Conference
Detroit (Lang)
Colorado (Konowalchuk)

jjreason
04-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Man, you look at the quality of the guys Washington let go, and it's no surprise they stunk. Add Jagr to the list, and that's a cup contending team's allotment of firepower.

Wings win again, even though Nashville was in the thick of things. I watched pretty much the whole thing... there's nothing like playoff hockey to make you sweat. Especially when your team is handling their first round opponent fairly easily - except on the scoreboard. :frus: We're badly needing a comfortable 5-1 whooping tomorrow to loosen things up a little. I wonder if the Wings will stick with Legace even on short rest.

The Islanders sure surprised TBay 3-0, I wasn't expecting that. San Jose on strength of Patrick Marleau alone (where were you during the pool finals??????) outshone St. Louis again, and the lowly Leafs crept even.

Big game for Montreal tomorrow night - do or die pretty much.

Kidhuman
04-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Yeah if the Habs and Devs dont win game 3, they are done. Hard tosee the Devils in an 0-2 hole. Thought they would at least get out of the first round. SHows how much Scott Stevens means to this team come season 2.

jjreason
04-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Wings will go with Legace again today, according to their site. Got my fingers crossed, but I just don't know how many times they can go to the well..... he's a backup for crikey. Cujo's on the bench, sore ankle and all. If Legace loses today, I wonder if we might see him for game 4?

Kidhuman
04-11-2004, 12:13 PM
JJ, if it aint broke dont fix it. Legace is winning right now. Might as well ride it and let your top goalie rest for a bit. If Legace loses,he will staert game 4, they will be up 2-1.If he loses game 4 as well, then Cujo will be back.

Rocketboy
04-11-2004, 12:39 PM
With most teams, Legace would be the #1 goalie, but when you have Hasek and Cujo...
And right now, I more confidence in Legace than either Hasek or Cujo, considering the way they both played earlier this year.

CaptainSolo1138
04-11-2004, 01:01 PM
My allegiance for Legace runs much deeper than mine for CuJo. Whether or not the stats back me up or not, Legace just seems more consistant.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-11-2004, 10:07 PM
The first round playoffs are in full gear and let me comment on a few things I've noticed.

*Scoring is at a real premium. With scoring creeping down in the NHL over the last decade, it is no surprise to see the lack of goals in the playoffs, where the hitting becomes harder, even finesse players play defense, and goalies get their game one. Yet, I think I've only seen 3 games so far where one team has scored 4 or more goals.

*The Lightning are in danger. Even though the series is split, they head to Long Island where N.Y. is stellar at home, leading the East with 25 wins. The Ning played two lackluster games at home and are lucky to have won one of those games.

*Refs are chippy, calling everything. Did they say Detroit had 15 power plays today? Playoff hockey usually entails letting a few things go, but not this year.

*Colorado has suprised me with their play. For a team that had a bad winning percentage coming into the league, they have turned things around. Aebischer has played two strong games and now it is off to tough 'Big D' for them.

*Leafs and Sens are shaping up to be the most exciting series. Two teams that have met in the past, many times, that hate each other's guts. A very physical series, and one that bears watching.

*Marty Brodeur's play has surprised me a bit. Even though he never faces a lot of shots, he is pretty good at stopping what he does see. So far, he has let in a few softies. Esche meanwhile has stopped two third period onslaughts by the Flyers.

*For those who question Legace's goaltending, I say look elsewhere for blame. Detroit is playing well, but hasn't had a lot of production from their big stars. Besides, if Joseph is still a injured, even if it is slightly, you don't want your goaltender to be less then 100%.

Looking forward to the rest of the first round.

pegger
04-13-2004, 12:59 PM
jjr and mabudon...

I was watching the game Thrusday with my son (never to young to start watching hockey)...

When TO scored, he laughed and giggled.....the Ottawa scored, (and I cheered)...he looked at me, and screamed and cried........

looks like my boy is a Leaf's fan.....

(so now when I watch, I can't cheer for Ottawa....not like they've been scoring anyways)

mabudonicus
04-13-2004, 01:39 PM
That's great news, Pegger, ROFL :D

ahh, the wisdom of youth.. from games 2 and 3 looks like the wee lad will be pretty happy with his decision :beard:

BTW this proves that Leafs fandom is a genetic thing, musta been a recessive trait in you
Now that Belfour has (admittedly kinda luckily) shut the door for 7 straight periods you can really feel the frustration building in the Sens :)

Arrogant Arse
04-13-2004, 03:03 PM
I gotta chime in. Mabudon, although I respect you, and generally agree with your posts, I'm rooting for Ottawa. Mainly because I got Alfredsson & Lalime on my fantasy team.

I hope my wings beat Nashville. Lowly Bantha Cleaner is right, Legace's goaltending is fine, the big guns are relatively silent so far :rolleyes: Same thing as last year. Cujo was fine, the big guns went silent. 1.3 goals per game average in '03 vs Anaheim.

There are LOTS of great matchups this year. It is the best time of year

AA

P.S. Mabudon, I'm still looking for STANSE concert tickets:D

chrisc
04-13-2004, 04:43 PM
who saw the colorado vs dallas game Monday night that pis$ed me off.

Arrogant Arse
04-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Okay, the wings really stunk it up last night. I hope they get their act together NOW! The guys HAVE to score, and get the Power Play working.

GO Wings:nerv:....otherwise...Go Ottawa....otherwise..uh...Go..uh...Bru?..no..uh..C algary..yeah..go calgary:ermm:

Rocketboy
04-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah, what the heck is goin' on with Detroit? I haven't had a chance to watch the games, becuase of school. Are they just not playing well, or is Nashville outplaying the Wings?

I swear, if Detroit loses in the first round, especially with the team of all stars they have again, I think my head will explode...

jjreason
04-14-2004, 11:34 AM
They're being "out-speeded" by the Predators. They need to settle down and play their defensive game..... they need to score first and they need to take the body. Sullivan needs to get derailed by Hatcher or Chelios so he's a little more nervous crossing the blue line - it's worth the 2 minute penalty to slow him down, guys.

I don't think there's any real reason for concern yet, they have game 5 at the Joe. If we lose that one however "uh oh" will be the expression of the day. Dave Lewis now faces his first real test of these playoffs: can he get the best team in hockey to shake off 2 startling losses? It didn't happen last year and we'll soon see if they've grown as a team at all.

chrisc
04-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah, what the heck is goin' on with Detroit? I haven't had a chance to watch the games, becuase of school. Are they just not playing well, or is Nashville outplaying the Wings?

I swear, if Detroit loses in the first round, especially with the team of all stars they have again, I think my head will explode...

Nashville aint outplayin the Wings they are just darn lucky. I watch that game last night and the Wings had like 47 shots on goal. Nashville did have thier best goalie up ast night. There is very few who can outplay the Wings. I just hope that colorado can get thier act together.

CaptainSolo1138
04-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Somehow, some way the Predators have shut down the Wings the past few games. Well, Vokoun (sp?) has shut them down (I'm already sick of J.S. Gigure comparisons :rolleyes: ). My worry now is switching goalies in the middle of the series. It's not a smart move to begin with, and I've already made my feelings for CuJo very clear.

Kidhuman
04-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Detoit has never faired well in Nashville. They only play .500 in that building. Getting back to The Joe will do them good.

CaptainSolo1138
04-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Detoit has never faired well in Nashville. They only play .500 in that building. Getting back to The Joe will do them good.
That's what I'm hoping for. I think that if Detroit can reestablish themselves and get out of this "disasterous" first round, they should have clear sailing all the way to Lord Stanley's cup. But the goalie change still has me worried.....

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-14-2004, 10:32 PM
I think the reason Nashville has gotten the edge of the series is the speed of their team. Detroit's an older team, and they are getting outhustled to pucks. Even though the Red Wings are the star-powered team, and have more shots, their scoring chances have not been that spectacular as Nashville keeps the shots to the outside. Vokoun can stop those all day. I always root for underdogs, and would love to see the Preds pull it out but we'll see how both teams react in the confines of the Joe tomorrow.

Also, when doing my picks for the series I forgot one important thing. the regular season means diddely poo when trying to pick the winners. It's all about who can pick up their game at the right time, it doesn't matter who won the season series or who came in on a cold streak or a hot streak. The Flyers, Canucks, Avs all came into the postseason on major slides, but now are all leading their series or as in Vancouver's case, are tied. Dallas, the Islanders, Blues, and Devils all picked up their game down the stretch of the regular season but so far are all down.

Did anyone see Kovalev's stupid play in overtime versus the Bruins on Tuesday night? He got hit with a chintzy slash and acted like his arm was broken, totally giving up on the play, then collided with the Canadiens D-man Souray. All of that lead to the winning breakaway goal by Murrary. Then Kovalev had the audacity to blame the play on Souray after the game. :stupid: Montreal got their just desserts because they had a lot of divers on their team. Maybe they have learned their lesson.

chrisc
04-15-2004, 05:08 PM
As long as the Predators keep Vokoun in the net they will have a chance a winning this round. I love the way Vokoun keeps his owner and manager on thier toes with his unorthodox tactics. The Predators and the Avalanche are the only ones I hope make it to the second round, everyone else sucks.

Rocketboy
04-15-2004, 09:43 PM
As long as the Predators keep Vokoun in the net they will have a chance a winning this round. Not tonight! :D

CaptainSolo1138
04-15-2004, 10:47 PM
The Predators and the Avalanche are the only ones I hope make it to the second round, everyone else sucks.
That's a pretty bold statement. I'm pretty sure Detroit didn't suck tonite. And can you elaborate on the "suck" part? Does backing into the playoffs as a #8 seed like the Predators did constitute a "good" team?

Kidhuman
04-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Detroit righted themselves, Habs hang on. SO far this is a good playoff season.

mabudonicus
04-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Oooohhhh, LBC, wasn't that dive reeee-diculous (anyone can comment, LBC just said it first IIRC) :beard:
Sure are a lot of "nervous nellie" Detroit fans here... :D lookin at you here,JJ, in particular... maybe at least we'll have a Leafs game to watch when ya visit ;) (although you did make them lose last year)

Can't explain the loss wednesday, Leafs-wise, hoping that Mats is back tonight and we can hand the Sens another goose egg, scoreboard-wise :beard:
Fun series to watch, though, leagues more interesting than the surprisingly dull Bruins-Canadiens match-up... it's like they're playing on a 3 foot thick layer of silt

pegger
04-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Can't explain the loss wednesday, Leafs-wise, hoping that Mats is back tonight and we can hand the Sens another goose egg, scoreboard-wise :beard:

The loss can be explained by 1 simple reason. Leafs suck. lol

Now that the Sens have finally gotten the puck past Eddie, the Leafs are in trouble...

The Leafs offence just hasn't been as good as the Sens...they've been lucky that Lalime isn't as good a goaltender...

Either way, tonight's game is gonna be awesome....I think whoever wins tonight's game will win the series.

mabudonicus
04-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Yes, now I totally agree with ya Pegger :beard:
Quite a game, either way... tomorrow the game conflicts with trailer park boys.... such a dilemma, but the match is first, of course.... the tension level in Ottawa will be insane I figure..... if you have your windows open you should be ableto hear me screaming...
Go Leafs!!!

Rocketboy
04-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Detroit dominates Nashville, gets more more scoring chances on the Pred's power play, and Cujo gets a shutout, yet all the announcers can talk about is Vokoun. Unbelievable.

jjreason
04-18-2004, 04:20 AM
Vokoun deserves some credit. He saw more rubber over the last 2 games than the Trojan factory, yet the Preds weren't too far out of contention.

Good news though is that we're moving on. They re-seed the teams after the first round, so with the Vancouver win tonight we're still not sure who the second round matchup will be (either Calgary or Colorado).

Can't wait to see Habs/Bruins game 7, what a great old-time rivallry. I'm hoping for the Habs, but reallistically thinking the Beaners will win it.

San Jose is scary.

Tampa Bay is scary.

Kidhuman
04-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Cant believe the defending champs are one and done. Hard to believe. Detroit pulled it out. Coorado downs Dallas,sweet IMO.

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2004, 02:19 PM
*WHEW* Finally, two games too late IMO, Detroit won their series. Now for the hardest part of any playoffs: waiting to see who's next.

Rocketboy
04-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Anyone see the Vancouver/Calgary game?
Holy crap was that ever good!
I don't think I've ever seen a game that fast-paced and intense and have that intensity last for so long.

Kidhuman
04-18-2004, 05:14 PM
I caught the end of it. I was watching SC and they said it was in 2 OT and still on the Duece so I put it on halfway through the 2 OT.

pegger
04-19-2004, 06:20 AM
OK..last night's Sens -TO game was awesome!

Can't wait till tomorrow night.....

chrisc
04-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Colorado won the first round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope they don't play the wing until the third round. I would like to see them take on Calgary.

jjreason
04-19-2004, 05:12 PM
2 game 7s tonight: Boston v Montreal and Calgary v Vancouver.

To wind up with 3 game 7s in 7 first round match ups goes to show that the league is in good shape right now - lots of talent on most of the teams and plenty of good goaltending.

That Leafs / Sens matchup was pretty good last night, but tentative. They're not flying around out there like Vancouver and Calgary - that might be the best matchup of the entire first round. Hopefully they put on a great show for us tonight.

Darth Mina
04-19-2004, 08:20 PM
My Money is on Vancuver. They do deserve to win even after the bertussi(sp)
incident.
Then again the wings are as good as always.
Go Kings GO GO Kings GO :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Rocketboy
04-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Well, Boston is gone.

CaptainSolo1138
04-20-2004, 10:17 AM
WOW! The Calgary/Vancouver game was great! Not only was it a good game, but now the Wings get the Flames instead of the Avalanche. What ticks me off though is that their were two game 7's in the NHL last nite, yet game 2 of ther freakin' Lakers series gets top story on Sportscenter. :rolleyes:

Rocketboy
04-20-2004, 10:54 AM
WOW! The Calgary/Vancouver game was great! Not only was it a good game, but now the Wings get the Flames instead of the Avalanche. What ticks me off though is that their were two game 7's in the NHL last nite, yet game 2 of ther freakin' Lakers series gets top story on Sportscenter. :rolleyes:As great as the Calgary/Vancouver game was, game six was a lot better (hard to believe, but true).

I think Detroit will have a easier time with Clagary, but a Colorado/Detroit series is always great to watch. I was actually hoping they would meet in the Conference Finals anyway - that way school will be over and I'll be able to see it! :)

And Sportscenter hates hockey. If they show it, it's usually at the tail end of the show.

CaptainSolo1138
04-20-2004, 12:05 PM
And Sportscenter hates hockey. If they show it, it's usually at the tail end of the show.
And if it's shown any earlier than that you can bet that:
*Some sort of record was broken.
*I'ts not basketball season yet.
*It's a quadruple overtime game 7 of the finals.
*Someone is going/went to jail.

I love the Colorado/Detroit match up as much as anyone, but I'd rather see them put a whoopin' on the Flames first. Jarome who? :D

Kidhuman
04-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Lets not forget about tonights game 7 either, Go Leafs.

Vortex
04-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Still miffed about Boston getting bounced...in the office pool I had them going all the way...crap there went a 20 on a semi-long shot. Joe Thorton needs to pick his game up in the post season. He was a no show.

Not a good year for my picks...

1st nashville doesn't come through...then boston...senators better come through for me.

pegger
04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Man...did the Sens suck tonight.....better get better goaltending next year.... :frus:

Yes Mabudon...I bow to your wisdom...

Anyways, my second prediction....Leafs will win the cup this year....

I'm looking forward to a possible Leaf/Habs game tho...

Rocketboy
04-20-2004, 10:34 PM
1st nashville doesn't come through...then boston...senators better come through for me.Wow, please don't pick the Wings to win the cup...:D

Rocketboy
04-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Time for everyone's Round 2 picks!

West
Detroit vs. Calgary
San Jose vs. Colorado

East
Tampa Bay vs. Montreal
Philadelphia vs. Toronto

------------------------------
My picks:

West:
Detroit over Calgary in 6
Colorado over San Jose in a good 7 games

East:
Tampa Bay over Montreal in 5
Toronto over Philadelphia in 6

CaptainSolo1138
04-20-2004, 10:43 PM
*Detroit over Calgary in 5
*Colorado over San Jose in 6
*Tampa Bay will sweep the Habs
*Leafs over the Flyers (I think this will be the most competitive series)

jjreason
04-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Detroit should be able to handle Calgary, though I think they're playing at a pretty good level right now, and have a lot of confidence in Kipprusoff. Wings in 6.

Sharks vs Avs - not sure. Colorado looked a little more decisive in polishing off the Stars than they did down the stretch, but the Sharks are quite strong. 7 games, San Jose winning enough at home to take it.

Philly vs TO - Remember last year? Philly in 5. I really do hate the Leafs.

Montreal vs Tampa - I'm nealy 100% certain Montreal's little joyride is coming to an end. Tampa is deadly, and they keep getting better and better. 5 games, max.

There we have it. Bring on the damned hockey already!!!! :mad: :)

pegger
04-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Well, I seem to be the kiss of death for the teams I pick...but:

1) Detriot in 6 over Calgary...
2) Colorado in 6....

3) Habs in 7...I think they may have some more juice in them....
4) TO in 7

Kidhuman
04-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Detroit in 5
Colorado in 7
Leafs in 6
Tampa in 7

CaptainSolo1138
04-21-2004, 07:16 AM
1) Detriot in 6 over Calgary...

Uh oh. Detroits screwed.... :D

Rocketboy
04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Uh oh. Detroits screwed.... :DMy thoughts exactly! :D

Vortex
04-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Bolts vs. Habs - Habs got lucky last round, very luck, but their run stops here. Tampa in 6

Philly vs. Leafs - Philly in a hard fought 6. The Toronto jinx is on.

Wings vs. Flames - Ugh dump and chase Flames vs. old timers control...this is the one I'm having most trouble with. My gut says flames, stats say detriot...might have to flip a coin. But I'll go with the cinderella story for this one. Flames in 7.

Sharks vs. Lanch - No contest this will be painless. Lanch in 6 and I feel like I'm giving the sharks an extra win. Sharks main goalie is 2-10-1 vs. the lanch.

chrisc
04-21-2004, 04:31 PM
I hope all you Leaf fans are happy I Ain't. jjreason I'm with you on the Leafs I despise them. I know my Avs will kill San Jose. Calgary my have a fighting chance if Detroit screws up in the first two games.
In the third round I would like to see : Colorado vs. Calgary
and Tampa Bay vs. Philly

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Here are my second round pics:

Toronto vs. Philadelphia
Toronto is fresh off a hard-fought series. I can now see by watching this team, just how much a factor experience is. Leetch, Belfour, Domi, McCabe and Niweundyk(sp?) are all at the top of their game. Philly has a young goalie in Esche who played spectacular the first round, but look for Toronto's tenacity to test him as the Leafs win in 6.

Tampa Bay vs. Montreal
Montreal surprised many with their first round comeback upset over the hapless Bruins. Don't look for it to happen again. The Lightning are a team on a mission and look for them to win in 5.

Detroit vs. Calgary
Detroit survived their scare in the first round and look for them to not take the Flames lightly. Calgary will be a formidable test for the Wings, but look for Detroit to prevail in 6 hard fought games.

San Jose vs. Colorado
I was surprised by Colorado's play in the first round and how they rebounded from a slow finish in the regular season. The Sharks are a mostly young upstart team, and while I usually go with the experience, I like San Jose's grit and will pick them to win in 7.

mabudonicus
04-23-2004, 06:40 AM
Heh, Pegger, glad you could join us :beard:

JJ- I'd love to watch Leafs final with ya, even you won't stop them this year :D

And unfortunately, last nights game was kinda painful... LBC is correct, the goalie is a bit soft for Philly.... which is one weakness at least, Philly did look pretty convincing, looks like my "Leafs in 5" prediction needs to be changed... not just yet, but I'll consider it
:beard:

pegger
04-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Uh oh. Detroits screwed.... :D

Just as an FYI - for those not keeping score....

Every team I picked....lost their first game. :nerv:

jjreason
04-24-2004, 03:49 PM
The Wings are pretty much all over Calgary here, at the end of the 2nd frame (game 2). Very happy for the Captain to score 2 quick ones like that, apparently he hasn't scored a home playoff goal in 10 appearances - until today that is :) . Now all they have to do is play with a lead - something they do very well.

jjreason
04-30-2004, 12:06 PM
PHEW!!!!

That was the collective sigh of relief from all Wings fans after taking back the home ice advantage from Calgary last night. :cool:

Tampa's through in 5, I don't even think they've been sweating yet. San Jose can join them tonight I believe - both of these teams appear to have LOTS left in their respective tanks. Might be a warm-weather final this year kids.

Rocketboy
04-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Might be a warm-weather final this year kids.Ummm...Detroit's not that warm...:D

Kidhuman
04-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Toronto is warm in the summer?

mabudonicus
05-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Yes, KH, any urban heat island will warm up... don't make me come down there :beard:

Well, looks like the Leafs can beat Philly as long as there's no more shenanigans with the ice at wachovia (still mad about that)

What a battle... Looks like Leafs in 6 in my book.....

On a serious note, my Grandmother passed away yesterday :(, and I honestly believe that she will talk to the Hockey Gods for me personally.

All fear the Blue and White lightning rising in the north :beard:

Kidhuman
05-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Sorry to read about yuir grandmother. My condolences to you and yours. Leafs will win it for her. :beard:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Mabudon, my condolonces on your grandmother's passing. I'm sure she's rallying cause for a Leafs series victory in heaven as we speak.

Good to see the Bolts move on. They as a team floundered for years, and for the sake of their franchise and fans, they will move on to the conference finals and a shot at the Cup. The only question will be who will be their dance partner? I like the Leafs now because of their momentum, however Ken Hitchcock is one heckuva coach and he wil lhave his troops hungry for a victory in a tough place for road teams in Philadelphia. (I'll still stick to my original prediction of Leafs in 6 though)

How about the resurgence of the Avs? Joe Sakic has single-handedly lifted his team to a fighting chance of winning the series, after being down 3 games to 0. Aebsicher has regained his confidence and the Sharks have suddenly lost theirs. Interesting to see how the rest of this series unfolds.

The Flames are for real and they deserve to move on against the talented, overpriced, overhyped Red Wings. It just shows how much hard work can move you over the edge. Still, the series ain't over yet.

mabudonicus
05-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks fellows :beard: it's all okay, it wasn't like a huge surprise even really, and she won't let the Leafs lose (unless she's real busy :D)

Ohhh, this afternoon's game is gonna be a barn burner for sure..... I'm just posting cos it's raining right now and all I can do is wait for the game...... can't... even... concentrate..... GO LEAFS!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:beard:

CaptainSolo1138
05-02-2004, 01:36 PM
The Wings are killing me. Calgary IS NOT that good! Detroit is playing sloppy as hell right now and with Yzerman gone things could get worse....

Kidhuman
05-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Stevie Y down for the count and rest of playoffs. Thats gotta hurt.

jjreason
05-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Ugh. I have a very bad feeling about this series (Wings Flames). That puck hitting Stevie - which seemed very random but was obviously a planned attack ( :D ) is starting to make me think the powers are aligned against us this go round, much like they were in round 1 vs the Quacks last year. Goddamned Kiprussoff just doesn't know when he's beat! :mad: Good intense hockey though, all we can hope for is a huge turnout for game 6, then let game 7 take it's course.

I'm actually happy the 'Lanche decided to show up - better late than never. Be nice to see them take it to 7 games.

Kidhuman
05-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Toronto got hammered today.

pegger
05-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Toronto got hammered today.

Ya know...it's not that the Sens lose to the Leafs every year that kills me....it's that the Leafs play like they did today that does....horrible.....abosolutely horrible.

jjreason
05-02-2004, 10:49 PM
That series is really odd - both teams handling each other EASILY on home ice. I don't think either team can even hold a candle to Tampa, but we'll have to see what happens.

Arrogant Arse
05-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Okay, I don't think the Wings will win against Calgary.(That thud and screeching tires you hear is me jumping off the bandwagon, and the bandwagon speeding away.) What bugs me is that, of all people, Keith Freakn' Preameau led the Phillies to a victory yesterday-Go Figure. Anyway I hope the Leafs beat the Phillies in this series. GET RID OF THE PHILLIES (or Flyers-whatever I don't like either of them.)

AA

Kidhuman
05-03-2004, 08:10 PM
The Leafs could beatthe Phillies, since the Phillies dont play with hockey sticks. or skate on ice. :beard:

Rocketboy
05-04-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't F***ing believe it!!!
:frus: :mad: :(

Kidhuman
05-04-2004, 06:12 AM
Without a Captain, the ship is sure to sink. R.I.P. Red Wings

pegger
05-04-2004, 08:11 AM
My curse has taken out 2 teams....with the remaining 2 on verge......

Man, I AM bad luck..... :nerv:

mabudonicus
05-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Ain't no verge... although last time I saw JJ (and I am superstitious in the extreme about this stuff) was on during the last game of the Leafs last years' adventure....

The next time we meet, tomorrow....... :beard:

So don't feel too bad, Pegger, JJ's been doing everything he can to kill off the Blue and White...
they're not going out tonight, I don't think....

Sundays game was literally ridiculous, I'm not sure what to make of it, it was as if the Leafs just wanted to rest up, or keep it exciting for themselves or something, the final score didn't even make sense, in light of the first 4....

Well, :beard: they'll do it..... the stress level will be right up in game 7..

chrisc
05-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Colorado is coming back and with Paul Kariya probably being back on the ice tonight they may have a chance at winning the next two. he he he

pegger
05-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Except for the fact that I picked Colorodo to win this match up......

Rocketboy
05-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Except for the fact that I picked Colorodo to win this match up......'bout time you did something right for the playoffs. :D

chrisc
05-04-2004, 04:13 PM
they better win or you all don't want me posting here for a while>

CaptainSolo1138
05-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Un-freakin'-believable. Bye-bye Dave Lewis. You deserve it.

Rocketboy
05-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Un-freakin'-believable. Bye-bye Dave Lewis. You deserve it.Yeah, good. But Hatcher deserves a lot of blame too. He wasn't covering his man.

pegger
05-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Well.....I suck. :dis:

Hmmm....should I use these new found powers for good...or evil.... :evil:

Well...for the Semi finals I gotta go with

1) Tampa in 6. They were awesome agianst Montreal, and have their act together...

2) Calgary in 6. Only because they are the last Canadian team....

of course by me saying that, I've probably cursed both of them.....

Vortex
05-05-2004, 12:41 PM
3 out of 4 ain't bad for that round...now it gets a little harder...

Flyers vs. Bolts - Gritty Philly vs Speedy Bolts...hmmmm. Bolts run stops here. Flyers in 6.

Flames vs. Sharks - This is a very tough call, Flames have proven they are contenders, but the Sharks have a little something extra to take them to the next level. Both goalies are hot right now...so I'll say the Sharks in 6.

Kidhuman
05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Sad to see the Leafs out of it. Mogilny was absent the entire series. When one of your stars isnt playing well, it isnt gonna happen. I say Phillys and Sharks both in 6

Rocketboy
05-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Philadelphia vs Tampa Bay
This should be a hard fought series. Tampa Bay in 6 (maybe 7).
San Jose vs Calgary
I'm holding a grudge against Calgary - San Jose in 6.

chrisc
05-05-2004, 04:19 PM
they better win or you all don't want me posting here for a while>

#$*%%$&!$^%*#$^ *&^**% &*%^$ $*$%$ ^*&$%# Sellane^*&*%*%$%#& FORSBERG $*%$^#!^%* HEDUK %**(&^*(%(&^$% ^&% $^#%*%((_(*#!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-05-2004, 09:17 PM
#$*%%$&!$^%*#$^ *&^**% &*%^$ $*$%$ ^*&$%# JOE SAKIC ^*&*%*%$%#& FORSBERG $*%$^#!^%*

Hey don't curse your best players, at least they showed up. Sakic was the single most important reason why the Avs weren't swept and Forsbeg if I'm not mistaken, still leads the NHL Playoff scoring race. You should have typed Selanne and Kariya because they were the no shows. IMO, that's what the Avs get for trying to buy a championship :nerv: .

I don't think Dave Lewis should be a scape goat for Detroit's problems. They are simply too old and Holland didn't shore up the blue line. Calgary just worked harder and at the end, they came out on top. The Flames are a team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts; for the Red Wings the opposite is true. Good to see the Flames go this far, their city deserves it after putting up with exactly 15 years of futility.

Predictions:

Tampa Bay has demonstrated to me that they are a team on a mission. They have deadly speed and look for them to exploit the Flyers Defense and light up Esche.

prediction: Tampa in 6 games

The Sharks and Flames are similary matched teams with a lot of muckers and grinders. Both teams also have exceptional goaltenders. The conference finals are relativley new territory for these teams so all of that cancels out. That being said, I'm picking the Sharks in 7 hard fought games because they have more balanced scoring then the Flames and a bit more depth. Either way, I wouldn't be disappointed if Calgary moves forward because both cities deserve it.

In fact, I'll be a happy camper if any team but Philly makes it. :)

prediction: Sharks in 7 games

Kidhuman
05-05-2004, 09:24 PM
The only reason I wouldn't mind seeing Philly win is Roenick. He deserves tohoist that cup as much as Borque did.

Arrogant Arse
05-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Okay, you can't fault CuJo for the wings loss. Yes he did let in two goals in the last two games, but you cant win a game 0-0.

Now for my picks:
Tampa vs Philadelphia: Tampa in 6

San Jose vs Calgary: Calgary in 5

and Tampa over Calgary in 7

AA, Eh!

chrisc
05-06-2004, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=Lowly Bantha Cleaner]Hey don't curse your best players, at least they showed up. Sakic was the single most important reason why the Avs weren't swept and Forsbeg if I'm not mistaken, still leads the NHL Playoff scoring race. You should have typed Selanne and Kariya because they were the no shows. IMO, that's what the Avs get for trying to buy a championship :nerv: .

Kariya couldn't help but be a no show because he was hurt. Forsberg could have did better than he did. The best players performance sucked in this round. Except for Sakic.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-06-2004, 09:25 PM
The only reason I wouldn't mind seeing Philly win is Roenick. He deserves tohoist that cup as much as Borque did.

But that would mean General Manager Booby Clarke will hoist it too, and that is a sight I can't bear to even imagine. He got so many coaches to take the blames for his failures during his tenure as GM in Philly that it is comical. He has had to realize that his brand of getting the biggest, roughest thugs on his team, is not a successful formula to win the Cup. Yet, year after year he doesn't change his thinking, neglecting to get goaltending or a mobile defense. We'll see if it fails again this year.

jjreason
05-07-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm disappointed in the Wings, but there wasn't even a single incident of "desparation hockey" during game 6. If you haven't scored a goal in 2 flippin' games, it's time for drastic measures - and I'm not talking about taking a run at a second rate player, Derian. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but in a case like that you've got to start taking cracks at the goalie. That's the only way to break the curse, even if it costs you a few minutes in penalties. The Wings had great PK, odds are very low Calgary would have even converted. But it's a moot point now, as is Datsyuk's seemingly going through the motions for the last 2 periods with his team's season on the line. Too bad for Lewis, he's not to blame.

Tampa will outspeed the tired Flyers in 5 games, and the Sharks have too much left in the tank for the overachieving Calgarians. I see that one going 5 games as well.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Well the finals have already started and the NHL has seen two surprise teams make it to the Cup Finals. Surprise meaning that it isn't the Wings, Devils, Stars or Avalanche involved. It may be a league nightmare in terms or ratings, but ratings for hockey always stink in the U.S. It's also nice to see a Canadian team make the final, the first since '93.

Tampa Bay is the winner of the President's Trophy for ganering the most points during the regular season. They have a solid core of flashy players in Lecalvier, St. Louis and Modin and have a solid core of the Defensemen. Khabibulin is a winner in goal and has played big in the playoffs this year despite the fact that coach Tortarella has questioned his goaltending several times during the regular season. Last year they were promptly ousted by the Devils and prior to that season, the Ning failed to make the playoffs 6 seasons prior.

Calgary is the true surprise team after failing to make the playoffs the last 6 years and not winning a playoff series since 1989, the Flames have the edge so far in the Cup Finals winning Game 1 4-1. Their offense is centered around superstar Jarome Ingila and they also have a couple of playoff performers including Martin Gelinas. The rest of the team is a scrappy unit of hard working muckers and grinders, taking the nod from their well disciplined coach Brian Sutter. Kiprusoff has shined in goal all season long. The team plays an excellent road game as demonstrated in Game 1.

I've been exactly 50% picking playoff series this year and hopefully I will go over the hump with my prediction for this series.

I like Calgary in 7 games. This was my orginal prediction prior to Game 1. We've seen many a Cinderella team make it to the Finals in the NHL, but rarely do they make it to the top. I feel that will change with a Flames winning it all.

Rocketboy
05-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Tampa Bay is the winner of the President's Trophy for ganering the most points during the regular season.Actually, it was the Wings.

Even after game 1, I'm still going Tampa Bay in 6 or 7.

I think Calgary is this year's Anaheim.
I'm so sick of hearing about Iginla. And Kiprosov (sp?) is the new Gigierre (sp? again).

CaptainSolo1138
05-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Actually, it was the Wings.

Even after game 1, I'm still going Tampa Bay in 6 or 7.

I think Calgary is this year's Anaheim.
I'm so sick of hearing about Iginla. And Kiprosov (sp?) is the new Gigierre (sp? again).
Yes, yes, and yes!

Vortex
05-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Yea I know I'm a little late getting picks in but its 1-1...so I don't feel too bad.

I honestly have no clue who's going to pull this off. Both have gotten lucky and its all going to come down to defense and goaltending...

I didn't expect these two to be playing for the cup so I'll just flip a coin.

The bolts in 6.

Rocketboy
05-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Tampa Bay lucky?
They were 2nd place in the league (1st in the East), and only 3 points behind Detroit.

Rocketboy
06-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Wow...what an amazing game! :)
I'm so glad the Tampa Bay Lightning came out on top.

mabudonicus
06-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Actually shook off my numbness (which set in a couple weeks ago) towards hockey and watched last night, that 3rd period was pretty incredible, I don't usually get that excited watching non-Leafs contests....

Tampa Bay were freaking everywheres it was almost scary, they really won that game, good stuff :beard:

Sad to see another Cup-free year up here.... just leaves it for the Leafs ;)

Kidhuman
06-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Canada....denied. DOnt worry, Iginla will win many a cup in his career.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I thought this series was going to suck eggs due to two no-name teams (they played well, but it's true), however it was a great match-up. I was hoping that a Canadian team would take it this year since Montreal was the last in 1993, but I don't mind Tampa Bay winning it. I was happy for Dave Andreychuk and Khabibulin, since he played a year for my Long Beach Ice Dogs.

Isn't it so weird that every year lately that an underdog team makes its way all the way to the finals then the next year they just kind of fall apart? I'd like to see both Calgary and TB keep it up to challenge the Red Wings-Flyers-Avalance-caliber teams that just dominate the league year after year.

mabudonicus
06-08-2004, 11:43 AM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1086689479787&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

I'm sure this is elsewhere, but it's kinda funny, check it out if you want a laugh

Kidhuman
06-09-2004, 12:09 AM
D'oh, misprint.

chrisc
06-09-2004, 04:27 PM
My local news paper said that calgary won the series 4-3. I freaked out when I saw that. I am an Avalanche fan but I was also going for Tampa Bay. Glad they won

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Sorry it's a little late, but let me say hats off to the Tampa Bay Lightning on winning the Stanley Cup and to the Calgary Flames for giving us a thrilling ride to watch over the course of two months.

John Tortarella really is truly an amazing coach. He took the franchise from a laughing stock to Cup champion in the course of three seasons. He plays brilliant mind games with his players, pushing always for a better performance, even after victories.

It was nice to see Dave Andreychuck finally hoist the Cup above his head. He has been an underrated player for most of his career, and his been criticized for his lack of playoff success but kudos to him for being captain and steering a great group of young players around him.

The city of Tampa has gone from medocrity in sports for decades, to two championships the last two years! Seems they are getting spoiled.

The Flames reminded me of my favorite team, the Buffalo Sabres, in 99' when they made their Cup run. They had not a lot of talent but hard workers galore, plus a solid goaltender. They played a heavier favored team in the Finals and took them a long way, before finally sucumbing (and a disputed goal in both cases might have cost them).

The only thing we can hope over the summer is that the NHLPA and the owners break ground and make concessions to better help the game or we may not see hockey for awhile. :(

CaptainSolo1138
06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
The only thing we can hope over the summer is that the NHLPA and the owners break ground and make concessions to better help the game or we may not see hockey for awhile. :(
Sadly and unfortunately, not too many people see this happening. :mad: :(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
This was the time of the year I was glued to my t.v. set. Hockey's second season is a lot more exciting than the first. I think I am going through withdrawl now. I really miss them . . . . . . :(

Vortex
04-28-2005, 04:25 PM
To be honest, I haven't missed the NHL at all really.

I'd be happy to see scabs play next year if it was an option. See some new blood and not be disapointed if a big name comes to town and get shut down or doesn't even suit up.

But I really didn't miss it this year. I got my fill watching the Gophers make the run the final 4 for college hockey. That did it for me.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-30-2005, 10:16 AM
To be honest, I haven't missed the NHL at all really.

I'd be happy to see scabs play next year if it was an option. See some new blood and not be disapointed if a big name comes to town and get shut down or doesn't even suit up.

But I really didn't miss it this year. I got my fill watching the Gophers make the run the final 4 for college hockey. That did it for me.

I still miss it, but maybe since fans have had to deal with strikes and lockouts prior, including one a decade ago in the NHL, the stoppage isn't as painful for me as it could be.

Having replacements play, might be a dead issue, particularly in Canada were labor laws prevent scabs from replacing regular union workers. Still the threat is out there, and if it scares the NHLPA into concessions than hang that over their heads.

Hockey fans in Buffalo, where I live, are a bit lucky since their AHL farm team plays less than an hour down the road in Rochester. They are the #1 team in all of the AHL, and have made three visits to the HSBC arean this year in front of packed houses. As successful as they have been, and even with some successful local college hockey programs, nothing comes as close as the real thing. There is a void that cannot be filled in me unless I have an NHL fix. :dis:

JetsAndHeels
04-30-2005, 10:26 AM
When all this news broke about the NHL lockout some time ago, I was dissappointed that there would be no hockey. I used to enjoy going to Hurricanes games here, and I remember the finals against Detroit here a few years ago. Those were some great games.
Now that some time has passed, I have not missed hockey as much. With the Tarheels winning the National Championship and NFL football around the corner, I have plenty to be excited about sports wise.

JON9000
04-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Hockey blew it by expanding into areas where there was no legitimate fan base to support it. I've been to Canes games and the place was usually empty. When they went to the cup, Leafs fans came down here from Toronto. Nobody here really cares.

Slicker
04-30-2005, 01:27 PM
If you don't have ice form naturally in your area you shouldn't have hockey. Plain and simple.