PDA

View Full Version : The Punisher

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2004, 08:12 AM
With The Punisher's release date fast approching, I get more and more excited every day! As far as I can tell, this is going to be an awesome movie. My only fear is John "Battlefield Earth" Travolta. I've seen the trailers and I'm not totally convinced by him. I hope all of my anticipation is worth it.

Sentinel18725
04-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I am looking forward to this movie. However, I am a little skeptical of the story. I understand that the Vietnam Shell-shock is a little overplayed, but that added alot of feasability to the psychosis that Frank Castle could have succumb to. I also truly enjoyed the Punisher in New York, it just adds a grietier feel to it than Miami. I understand that the Punisher doesn't have alot of enemies to deal with, since they all end up dead. I would have liked to have seen Jigsaw as an enemy in this one. It looks like they took a little from the new story line with Speckler (?), the guy with all of the rings in his face), and the Russian. Otherwise, it just looks like another killing spree.

Rocketboy
04-07-2004, 07:26 PM
They actually changed Castle's history for the movie. He's a former CIA agent now. Castle would have to be in his 50's in order to be a 'Nam vet, which Thomas Jane isn't. At first I wasn't happy with that change, but in all reality, it makes sense.
Also, I can deal with this being in Florida...for now. I say move it New York in a sequel (if they make some). Florida isn't exactly known for it's scum and villany.
As CaptSolo said, Travolta is my only concern too. He's a very overrated actor.
Jigsaw always seemed pretty lame to me. "Punisher cut my face. I will kill him!"
The Punisher is heavily adapted from the awesome 'Welcome Back Frank' storyline, which had the Russian, Spacker Dave, Joan, and Mr. Bumpo, who are all in the movie.

9 more days...

evenflow
04-08-2004, 08:33 AM
I am just happy that it is rated R, and we are not getting a watered down version.

Dr Zoltar
04-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Saw a flyer for an autograph signing session for Thomas Jane in Seattle that took place yesterday. All it had was an address. No phone number, no amount for how much the autographs would cost. I picked it up at a Comic Show last weekend. But since half the guests on the guest list didn't show, I wasn't too motivated to leave work and drive an hour to try and find this place and attempt to get an autograph.

darthvyn
04-08-2004, 09:25 PM
The Punisher is heavily adapted from the awesome 'Welcome Back Frank' storyline, which had the Russian, Spacker Dave, Joan, and Mr. Bumpo, who are all in the movie.

9 more days...

that's what i'm afraid of... they're kinda treating this too straight... that whole story arc, and in fact ennis' entire run, was a tongue-in-cheek look at the strange world frank inhabits...

all this is made worse in the new commercial where they have joan and spacker dave, and then that staind song playing... UGH!

and rebecca stamos' joan is too good-looking. she's supposed to be mousy, or at least plain-jane (plain joan?)

i'm hoping it's good, but i think it'll suck. but not as much as catwoman! BLUH!

Rocketboy
04-08-2004, 10:37 PM
all this is made worse in the new commercial where they have joan and spacker dave, and then that staind song playing... UGH!Don't hate the Punisher because they used Staind in the commercial! :D
As for Joan and Dave (& Mr. Bumo), they seem to be what helps keeps Frank grounded and human.

darthvyn
04-08-2004, 11:33 PM
no, i just hate staind even MORE now, since they used him in the trailer...

i love the characters of "welcome back, frank"

spacker dave is funny as hell! i just hope they did it RIGHT!

Hellboy
04-16-2004, 07:49 PM
WARNING :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: snooze alert. :dis:

Looks like Marvel's streak of quality projects is over. Saw this movie today and it is horrible. Probably the worst movie I've seen so far this year, a real POS. Any fan of the comic is due for a major disappointment.

The story is weak and tedious using just about every action/revenge movie cliche in the book. The FBI angle doesn't work and the execution of his family feels so staged you end up feeling nothing for the characters as they're mowed down. The acting is stiff and John Travolta delivers his worst preformance since "Battlefield Earth". If you've seen the trailer then you've seen every action sequence this film has to offer. You're forced to spend way to much of the film watching Frank's boring neighbors doing basically nothing. This isn't The Punisher I grew up reading and if you're feeling the need to see a good revenge flick I'd suggest watching a far superior comic book adaptation in "The Crow".

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Did you get a Spider-Man comic when you saw it? When I saw Kill Bill there was a couple in front of me who received two Spider-Man comics for purchasing Punisher tickets. I almost bought a ticket to a later Punisher showing just to see what the comic was...but I was afraid of being out at the Lennox after 7pm for fear of being robbed.

Hellboy
04-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah JBF I got the comic. It's a reprint of The Amazing Spider-Man #129, The Punisher's first appearance. Pretty cool if you've never read or seen it but hardly worth watching the film to get.

I can't wait to see KBV2 but I promised my sister I'd see it with her tomorrow since she's in town for the weekend. I'm sure it's a much better movie than this.

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, KB2 is a better revenge film and I say that without having seen the Punisher.

As for viewing the Punisher, I don't think I will see it in the theaters. I mean, it just doesn't feel like I would enjoy it as much as I thought I would back when this film was first announced.

But they almost got me with that comic offer!

[DSS]Pedr0
04-16-2004, 11:40 PM
As a movie, I was entertained. What was Kevin Nash thinking, BLONDE???!!??! :eek: Cheesey, yes, Marvel's Streak over? No. Was still an enjoyable movie, especially the Train scene and the Knife through the neck/mouth, AWESOME scene!! :D My brother and I loved that ****!

Rocketboy
04-17-2004, 12:09 AM
WARNING :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: snooze alert. :dis:

Looks like Marvel's streak of quality projects is over. Saw this movie today and it is horrible. Probably the worst movie I've seen so far this year, a real POS. Any fan of the comic is due for a major disappointment.

The story is weak and tedious using just about every action/revenge movie cliche in the book. The FBI angle doesn't work and the execution of his family feels so staged you end up feeling nothing for the characters as they're mowed down. The acting is stiff and John Travolta delivers his worst preformance since "Battlefield Earth". If you've seen the trailer then you've seen every action sequence this film has to offer. You're forced to spend way to much of the film watching Frank's boring neighbors doing basically nothing. This isn't The Punisher I grew up reading and if you're feeling the need to see a good revenge flick I'd suggest watching a far superior comic book adaptation in "The Crow".:eek:
The Punisher was really, REALLY good! I think Punisher fans are in for a treat.
Probably my favorite comic adaption yet.
It's a great blend of Frank's (updated) origin, "Welcome Back Frank" (one of the best Punisher stories ever), and a few little hints of old Punisher tales.
His neighbors weren't boring, they were great, especially the bits of comic relief with Dave and Mr. Bumpo.
The action was far better than the trailers. The trailers only gave a small taste of the action.
Although I don't like Travolta at all, he was better than I expected.
Can't wait to see it again!

evenflow
04-17-2004, 10:25 AM
I have to say this movie was awesome. It is honestly one of the better Marvel Comic Movies, ranking right up there with Spider-Man and X-Men 2. It was really well done, I loved that it wasn't watered down. Just great stuff. I don't know his name, but he did a great job playing Frank Castle. I can't wait for the sequal.

Oh, I did get the comic as well. It was a repro of Amazing Spider-Man 129, the first appearance of the Punisher. Nice touch, they shoudl do little promotional stuff more often.

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2004, 02:17 PM
What an AWESOME movie!! With very minor exceptions, the movie exceeded all of my expectations. Thomas Jane was perfect as Frank Castle, and even Travolta was convincing. I can't wait to see this movie again!!

dr_evazan22
04-18-2004, 03:27 PM
I went to see this last night with my new girl. She doesn't like scary movies. We get there and she asks if it's scary. "No, not scary. Violent, but not scary." Oh I don't like violence either... LOL! Afterwards she said she didn't see about 45 minutes of the movie.

Overall, very entertaining. Some tweaks to the Punisher's origins, but they worked out pretty well. The wife was gorgeous, too bad she had to die. Joan, the girl from the apt building was cute also, a little predictable. When her ex was trying to break in she had music playing in her apt, that was a little far fetched.

I liked the way Frank turned Saint against his wife and Quentin.

darthvyn
04-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah JBF I got the comic. It's a reprint of The Amazing Spider-Man #129, The Punisher's first appearance. Pretty cool if you've never read or seen it but hardly worth watching the film to get.

I can't wait to see KBV2 but I promised my sister I'd see it with her tomorrow since she's in town for the weekend. I'm sure it's a much better movie than this.

i got the comic, even though i was going to see KBV2...

i dunno... i'm going to see the punisher, i just don't have good feelings about it. however, i am thinking higher of it, now that i've heard good things. i still am not sure, though.

Rocketboy
04-18-2004, 07:25 PM
This movie will be recieved like Hulk and Daredevil and there will be 2 groups: those that love it and those that loathe it.

(I loved all 3!)

Hellboy
04-19-2004, 03:36 PM
i dunno... i'm going to see the punisher, i just don't have good feelings about it. however, i am thinking higher of it, now that i've heard good things. i still am not sure, though.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I'd recommend taking a pillow. Just not my kind of movie. I do love the Punisher though, especially the early comics from the late 80's and early 90's but I found myself laughing at just how absurd the whole scenario was and how it played out.

BTW Vyn, love the avatar. ;)

Tom Araya
04-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Want to hear a really dumb, pointless story? :nerv:

Good. :evil:

Many moons ago, my mom and stepdad (who own a dance studio in Tampa) got a call from a guy claiming to be "the director of a movie called 'The Punisher' " being filmed in Fla. and he "had heard good things about their studio" (they've given instruction to minor celebs that pass through Tampa from time to time). He said there's a possible scene where John Travolta will be dancing (did he even dance in the movie?) and he'd like John to come by and take a few lessons. So...weird thing #1: Why does John Travolta....who's danced in movies many 'o times...need instruction?.....but better yet...weird thing #2: Travolta never showed up...the director never contacted my folks again...and my mom got this box from the movie studio that had 15 "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" t-shirts....about 20 "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" posters, and about 20 sneak preview tickets for a local showing of....you guessed it...."Once Upon a Time in Mexico". :ermm:

I hope you enjoyed the story as much as the intestinal flu. :beard:

2-1B
04-25-2004, 02:04 AM
I saw The Punisher and with the exception of the X-Men films, this is easily the best "comic book" movie I have ever seen ! Better than Hulk, better than Daredevil (which I liked alot) and DEFINITELY better than Spiderman.

The violence was plentiful and delicious. Personally I felt for the guy and wanted to join him in killing all those dirtbags.

I've not once read a single page from The Punisher comic so my viewpoint is not from that of a serious fan. I just think that this movie kicks *** regardless of what comic book it borrowed it's storyline from nor how faithfully it was done.

I'm looking forward to getting this on DVD.

Katre
05-04-2004, 04:12 AM
I think these kind of films atleast need to have a decent villian, which it unfortunately couldn't provide. Lame movie indeed.

evenflow
05-04-2004, 08:43 AM
I still think this movie rocked, right up there with X-men 2.

QLD
05-05-2004, 08:14 PM
I finally just saw this last night, and boy oh boy, was I disappointed. Sadly, I wasn't expecting much, and it still let me down.

This definately should have been direct to video.

Personally, I think Spiderman, Daredevil, X-men 1&2, and even the Hulk were better. I knew I was in trouble when they killed his family, and I hardly cared. There was no emotional reaction from me, which is unusual. I found the generic thugs laughable. I thought the way he killed Travolta at the end was just silly and pathetic.

I can't think of anything "good" about it.

2-1B
05-05-2004, 11:57 PM
I can't think of anything "good" about it.

Not even the knife through that guy's jib ? :(

evenflow
05-06-2004, 08:03 AM

Yeah that was awesome.

QLD
05-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Well....that was interesting....I guess that was good....maybe.

2-1B
05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :beard:

Beast
06-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Got some DVD news for 'The Punisher'. Including news on a chase cover. :)

Lions Gate's September 7th release of The Punisher will be released with a limited edition comic book-style "chase cover." These discs will be limited to 10,000 copies and will be distributed randomly at retail. On a brighter note, all of the Punisher discs will come packaged with a 28-page prequel comic, written by Garth Ennis and illustrated by Tim Bradsheet, pointing the way to the first scene in the film.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
06-30-2004, 01:54 AM
That is awesome...sort of. I like the idea of the comic and alternate covers, but semi-rare ones? No thanks. Ship 'em equally.

Anyway, this is great news considering the sequel now may not happen, according to rumors.

Beast
07-01-2004, 07:02 PM
The artwork for the standard DVD case is up now:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=4199

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
07-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Looks pretty good...except for Travolta.

Rocketboy
11-22-2006, 10:38 PM
2 years and 4+ months later...

Anyone pick up the Extended Cut this week?

17 minutes of added footage and a new animated opening sequence. Cut for budgetary reasons, the new opening takes place during Operation Desert Storm and sets up the re-introduced subplot with Frank's previously barely seen best freind Jimmy Weeks.

I haven't had a chance to watch the actual movie yet, but the semi-animated opening scene is pretty cool. Very stylized and done to look like Punisher comic book cover artist Tim Bradstreet's style. Don't expect it to look like a cartoon though.
There is also a behind-the-scenes of the new opening and restored footage, a comic cover gallery, and a funny blooper easter egg.

DarkArtist
12-01-2006, 07:47 AM
picked it up on the 28th along with Superman Returns. haven't had a chance yet to watch it though.

kool-aid killer
12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
I bought the regular DVD about three or four months ago. Had i known this version was coming out, i would have waited. I like skipping to the end, just when he starts killing Travoltas guys. My favorite part is when he jams the knife into the dudes mouth.

El Chuxter
12-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Like Daredevil, this hardly needed to be released in an expanded form.

Rocketboy
12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
The Director's cut of Daredevil was a much better movie.

El Chuxter
12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
But the original was mediocre enough that I don't want to sit through a director's cut, better or not.

2-1B
12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Punisher (Jane not Dolph) is the 2nd or 3rd best comic movie of all time...3rd, it is my 3rd favorite.

BountyHunterScum
12-03-2006, 01:35 PM
The Director's cut of Daredevil was a much better movie.

What was in the director's cut of DD?

2-1B
12-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I've never seen it but from what I read, one of the components of the DD DC is the criminal storyline with Coolio and that whole background.

Rocketboy
12-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Yep, and Coolio isn't too bad in it.

They also use a few alternate takes of some scenes.
The two that spring to mind are:
The pointless sex scene is now gone. Instead, Matt just leaves Elektra standing on the roof.
And when Bullseye says "I want a bloody costume" is now "I want a f***ing costume."
I think there were a couple more, but that is all I can think of.

BountyHunterScum
12-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Yep, and Coolio isn't too bad in it.

They also use a few alternate takes of some scenes.
The two that spring to mind are:
The pointless sex scene is now gone. Instead, Matt just leaves Elektra standing on the roof.
And when Bullseye says "I want a bloody costume" is now "I want a f***ing costume."
I think there were a couple more, but that is all I can think of.

Like anyone would want to see Garner naked anymore after shes been with that tool.

2-1B
12-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I would...

Slicker
12-03-2006, 06:49 PM
This is quite possibly Dolph Lundgren's greatest performance.

2-1B
12-03-2006, 08:45 PM
3rd greatest after Rocky 4 and Masters of the Universe, I feel.

Slicker
12-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I'll give you Rocky 4 (I must break you) but MotU is a no-no.

So Punisher is his 2nd best movie.

And what's all this talk of John Travolta? I don't remember him being in there...unless you're confusing him for Louis Gossett Jr.?

Rocketboy
12-03-2006, 09:48 PM
"You were suppossed to be here four...

hours...

ago."*

*If anyone but CS1138 gets the joke, you win a no-prize.

Slicker
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
*If anyone but CS1138 gets the joke, you win a no-prize.YAY!!

Where do I claim this "no-prize" that you speak of?