PDA

View Full Version : Homing Spider Droid

Scackmgackm
04-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Whatever happenned to this Action Fleet entry? I know I saw pictures of it somewhere, but never saw it on shelves, and I think I only saw a prototype once on eBay.

I am really dissapointed that this was never released. It would have been nice to have something to set up in opposition to the Action Fleet AT-TE in a diorama...

JediTricks
04-11-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm afraid it got cancelled just before it was supposed to be released, with what I consider to be a poor explanation of why it was shelved. Honestly, if they had gotten this wave to retail, it might have been the best selling wave of the Ep 2 AF line up till that point.

SWAFMAN
04-12-2004, 06:07 PM
IIRC, we did see one or two of these go for auction on eBay. They were either protoypes, or other some manner of pre-release status. Maybe in mock-up packaging?

JediTricks
04-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah, they were in mock-up packaging, that new stuff that's a big stupid plastic square bubble.

Scackmgackm
01-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Any sightings of one recently? They had a prototype on Brian's Toys for $500.00. I passed it up and now am sorely regretting it as I cannot find another one anywhere.

JediTricks
01-02-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm afraid not, this one seems to be harder to find than the E-wing wave back in the day.

Scackmgackm
01-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Any ideas as to where one would look to try to get in touch with those who have these items? I would offer a pretty penny for one...

sicqnus
01-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Hi Scackmgackm,

Here are a few pics of the two samples I have. (None of them are for sale). I'm only aware of four units that have been sold to collectors through Ebay : 1 unpainted proto (without trademarks moulded on it), 1 painted proto with trademarks moulded on the lower part of the sphere, 1 painted proto without trademarks in test-shot box (Republic Cruiser) and 1 painted proto with trademarks in test-shot box (Republic Cruiser). There should have been more...
I got the two without trademarks. I only hope Hasbro will make more AF in the future but I really doubt we could see something new in the near future...
We will have more MM, better than nothing.

Sicqnus
More pics here :
http://www.sicqnus.com/design.htm

Slicker
01-15-2005, 01:41 AM
That's the first time I've ever seen that piece. I'm not big into MM but I bought a ton of em at TRU about 5 years back at a big discount. It's always neat to see prototypes such as these.

britcit3
01-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Sicq

You are a lucky, lucky man!!

BC3

Scackmgackm
01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
And thus, through the fact that one person owns two of these prototypes is the evil nature of the universe revealed....

...why the hell didn't I get it at Brian's Toys when I could have...and the kicker? My wife and I are going on vacation next Friday, and she reminds me that I still have some money squirreled away left over from our wedding presents that I never did anything with, and why not bring that along with us?

The amount I had lying around?

$500.

Precisely what the Homing Spider Droid proto on Brian's Toys was going for, the one in the box.

And the most hilarious part of it all is, do you know what I would have done with that prototype had I bought it?

Opened it and put it right on the shelf next to my AT-TE for diorama purposes. Now that's decadence for you, like the Scimitar Assault Bomber I have next to all my other MM TIE Fighters on a display shelf...

Life is evil.