PDA

View Full Version : New Classics Destined For Remakes

Imperial Monarche
04-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Yes, the title may be confusing, but has anyone given some thought as to what movies made recently will be victim to a remake 50 years from now? I mean, did anybody think back in the 70's that Willy Wonka would be remade? So, what movies do you out there think will get a redo later down the road?

Kidhuman
04-12-2004, 06:11 AM
Nowadays any movie isnt safe from remakes. They will take any decent(and some not so decent movies and remake them. It is getting ridiculous. What ever happened to originality?

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2004, 02:05 PM
What ever happened to originality?
I blame Puff Daddy. Or P. Diddy. Whatever. With movies that are remade for the betterment of the film (i.e. the Punisher [which isn't a remake as much as it is a different take on the same character, but for the sake of the conversation...]) I totally understand and agree with a "mulligan". On the other hand is Gus Van Zant's "Psycho". What a flaming bag o' crap that was. That movie is the stereotype I use for all remakes. While some have been good, more often than not a remake becomes a slap in the face to the original.

More on topic now, I'd like to see a "Saving Private Ryan"-esque version of "All Quiet on the Western Front". As good as the originals are, a remake, in this case, could actually give this film even more deserved justice.

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2004, 02:37 PM
I feel like there is going to be a remake of Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street some day.

stillakid
04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Star Wars Episodes I, II, and III will eventually be redone. They may not have the same series name or character names, but in essence, someone will redo the prelude to the OT the way it should have been done the first time.

sith_killer_99
04-12-2004, 06:25 PM
She's All That

The Horse Whisperer

Waiting to Exhale

Titanic

B'Omarr Monkey
04-12-2004, 10:16 PM
I always thought that if they remade Willie Wonka, they should have kept the original voice and music tracks and done the movie itself in stop-motion animation.

The problem with remakes is that amongst the general population, not any age specific group, no one wants to watch a movie that is more than 5-10 years old. This includes studio exectutives.

I've always thought it was unneccessary to remake good movies. Instead there's plenty of stuff that was made without budgets, or any useful technology, that had decent ideas, that could be made now and really shine. Instead, we are getting "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" remade every decade.

What we should really be fearing are the tv shows which will be movies any time now. Now that they've gotten through the 1960s and 1970s, the dreadful 1980s is approaching it's cinematic reconstruction: The A-Team, Full House, Charles In Charge, Punky Brewster, The Facts of Life....

2-1B
04-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Swept Away

Glitter

Gigli

and hopefully Spiderman

Kidhuman
04-13-2004, 05:57 AM
Why does Spidey need a remake? Ithoought it was awesome as is.

El Chuxter
04-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Well, they're already remaking Back to School, so I suppose nothing is sacred.

Next up: Casablanca, starring Will Smith and J-Lo? :eek:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Well, they're already remaking Back to School, so I suppose nothing is sacred.

Next up: Casablanca, starring Will Smith and J-Lo? :eek:

WHAT?!?! A REMAKE OF "BACK TO SCHOOL" IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!

Tell me Chux, who in their wrong state of mind is staring in this film and directing and all that jazz. How dare they ruin the Rodney Dangerfield original!!! Heartless bastids!! :frus:

James Boba Fettfield
04-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Just as long as they leave Caddyshack alone.

El Chuxter
04-13-2004, 02:34 PM
WHAT?!?! A REMAKE OF "BACK TO SCHOOL" IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!

Tell me Chux, who in their wrong state of mind is staring in this film and directing and all that jazz. How dare they ruin the Rodney Dangerfield original!!! Heartless bastids!! :frus:

I don't recall details, but Rodney is the executive producer.

And Vonnegut's too old for a cameo!

I only hope Danny Elfman is asked to do the score (again). That could be the only redeeming factor.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I feel like there is going to be a remake of Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street some day.

I'm pretty certain I heard somewhere that they are remaking Halloween. :eek:

Kidhuman
04-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Iread that they are remaking Halloween with the Rock as Michael Myers, but it turned out to be an April Fools joke.

Also, Back To School? Kinnison is dead, Vonnegut is too old for that cameo, and without Dangerfield on screen, it will suck.

arctangent
04-14-2004, 03:15 AM
Glitter

Gigli

and hopefully Spiderman

why bother remaking these? they were crap first time round and any remakes would be crap second time around. unless of course they manage to find decent actresses to play mariah carey's and j lo's roles. why second rate singers feel the need to prove to the public the can't act either is beyond me. perhaps they like the humiliation.

and why remake spiderman? it was a great film.

Imperial Monarche
04-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Star Wars Episodes I, II, and III will eventually be redone. They may not have the same series name or character names, but in essence, someone will redo the prelude to the OT the way it should have been done the first time.

Why am I not surprised that a prequal hater like stillakid would post something like this? If anything, I could see the entire saga being made again not because they were made wrong the first time, but because we have become a generation of unoriginality. Everything is a remake, retooling or based on something else. George Lucas is not making the prequals wrong, he's making them the way he wants them to be. They are his stories and there's nothing anybody can do to tell them their way. He's just not making them the way that you want them made. You have a problem, think up your own generation influencing story and tell it.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Iread that they are remaking Halloween with the Rock as Michael Myers, but it turned out to be an April Fools joke.

I heard it some time before April Fool's Day, and it wasn't a joke. The Rock part had better be, but wasn't in the report I'd read, or heard, can't remember which. I only remember thinking "yet, another unneccessary remake to a movie that isn't even that old."

stillakid
04-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Why am I not surprised that a prequal hater like stillakid would post something like this? If anything, I could see the entire saga being made again not because they were made wrong the first time, but because we have become a generation of unoriginality. Everything is a remake, retooling or based on something else. George Lucas is not making the prequals wrong, he's making them the way he wants them to be. They are his stories and there's nothing anybody can do to tell them their way. He's just not making them the way that you want them made. You have a problem, think up your own generation influencing story and tell it.

The OT influenced a generation, the Prequels are not. Technically, you are correct. He is making them the way he likes, so in essence that isn't wrong. What is wrong is his unrealized plot and nonsensical sequences. His dialogue at times makes little sense in terms of how characters should be reacting per his own story. See, I don't decide what's right or wrong. I'm just the messenger (one of them anyway). He's just a bad writer. He knows it...he's admitted it...and yet he continues to be defended by those who don't seem to know any better. That, is something I don't think I'll ever really understand. :confused:

Anyhow, what I was getting at is that the unrealized Prequel stories can easily be written using an entirely different genre (like a Western, for instance). Same types of needed characters and situations which would lead up to the kinds of events and characters we see in the OT. It'd be the Seven Samurai at High Noon. :D So, no, we probably would never ever see "Star Wars" remade in space, the story is easily adaptable to some other more down to Earth locale where the focus can be put back on the story and get off the greenscreen.

2-1B
04-15-2004, 02:09 AM
I was using hyperbole when I said Swept Away, Glitter, and Gigli (those films are generally perceived as being pieces of crap) and then I slipped in a scared cow like Spiderman.

I seriously think Spiderman should be redone. Sam Raimi should hang by his thumbs for casting Tobey Maguire and Willem Dafoe.

Points to him for using Alfred Molina in Spiderman 2 but there's still the problem of Tobey's presence.

arctangent
04-15-2004, 04:20 AM
I was using hyperbole

sounds dangerous! i hope you were wearing safety goggles and asbestos glove :eek: !

stillakid
04-15-2004, 09:28 AM
I was using hyperbole when I said Swept Away, Glitter, and Gigli (those films are generally perceived as being pieces of crap) and then I slipped in a scared cow like Spiderman.

I seriously think Spiderman should be redone. Sam Raimi should hang by his thumbs for casting Tobey Maguire and Willem Dafoe.

Points to him for using Alfred Molina in Spiderman 2 but there's still the problem of Tobey's presence.

I agree with you. The movie was mildly entertaining and I do understand that the inherent nature of a comic-book film is to be loud and action packed. But Defoe's character was underdeveloped and played far too over the top to be believable. Tobey was okay. I think he captured the meekness of Peter Parker fairly well. I think it's the same problem that Batman had (has). Getting an actor who can pull off that dual personality thing believably is difficult. Maybe Hayden could jump ship after Episode III and do his bipolar thing all over again. ;)

2-1B
04-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Lord of the Rings could stand for a remake with an improved representation of Gollum and especially a better Frodo.

arctangent
04-16-2004, 04:46 AM
Lord of the Rings could stand for a remake with an improved representation of Gollum and especially a better Frodo.

i would like a lord of the rings remake with all the bits they left out like the hobbits trip through the forest, the barrow wights, tom bombadil, faramir and eowen falling in love after the battle at gondor, the entire second half of the return of the king book, etc.

it might take a week to watch but at least it would be complete :stupid: !

Imperial Monarche
04-17-2004, 09:00 AM
The OT influenced a generation, the Prequels are not. Technically, you are correct. He is making them the way he likes, so in essence that isn't wrong. What is wrong is his unrealized plot and nonsensical sequences. His dialogue at times makes little sense in terms of how characters should be reacting per his own story. See, I don't decide what's right or wrong. I'm just the messenger (one of them anyway). He's just a bad writer. He knows it...he's admitted it...and yet he continues to be defended by those who don't seem to know any better. That, is something I don't think I'll ever really understand. :confused:

I agree with that, he really doesn't have good writing skills, when in fact, he never really did. ANH has some dumb dialogue for the lack of a better word, but I think that adds to some of the relation of the old serials he got the ideas for the movies from. They weren't written well. Plus, he's not out to win awards here. But, this isn't the right thread to discuss this so sorry I urked you on to start this debate when it's been debated so many times elsewhere.

Anyhow, what I was getting at is that the unrealized Prequel stories can easily be written using an entirely different genre (like a Western, for instance). Same types of needed characters and situations which would lead up to the kinds of events and characters we see in the OT. It'd be the Seven Samurai at High Noon. :D So, no, we probably would never ever see "Star Wars" remade in space, the story is easily adaptable to some other more down to Earth locale where the focus can be put back on the story and get off the greenscreen.

Actually, if someone did that, then the "Star Wars" type story will come full circle. You have to remember, Lucas got the basic plot from a couple of Kirasowa (sp?) movies and old westerns, not to mention the same action serials I mentioned above. The basic plot is the storyline for most of the epic movies now a days. Heck, even the Bible has some of the same plot points to it.

stillakid
04-17-2004, 09:07 AM
ANH has some dumb dialogue for the lack of a better word,

Such as....?

Imperial Monarche
04-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Such as....?

Tu shai.......