PDA

View Full Version : Red Leader and his X-wing...HORRIBLE

TheDarthVader
04-12-2004, 02:38 PM
I got my first personal look at the new TRU Exclusive Red Leader X-Wing with the exclusive Red Leader Figure. Total Crap!
The X-wing, itself, is not bad but there is a cardboard cut-out for a red droid. What?? Hasbro couldn't throw in a droid for a $30 x-wing? Lets see here...X-wing retail $20, figure retail $5, okay that's $25. Now how about another figure to even things out? Nope. They didn't do it! :(
And now I will address the biggest problem: the red leader figure is the worst pilot figure ever made! He is way too skinny and small! His face sculpt is horrible! And I thought the POTJ Luke X-wing pilot was the worst face sculpt. This red leader figure's face does not even look anything like Greven Dreis. And guess what? The helmet is not removeable! Did Hasbro bother to throw in a cool accessory like a ladder? NO! Why would they throw in a ladder when they won't even give us the droid that we need?
HORRIBLE! Simply horrible!
The only good point is the packaging...I really like the packaging.

GRADE OVERALL: D-
FIGURE: ZERO, F
X-WING: B+

chrisc
04-12-2004, 05:20 PM
If you have the Queens Starship (you know that silver piece of junk) you can use the red droid out of that. just a suggestion.

Hellboy
04-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Yeah I feel your frustration here TDV. I picked this up over the weekend and while I'm not totally disappointed I can't make the arguement that its a great buy either.

The X-Wing itself is well done with the exception of a rather small cockpit. If you had plans to put say Gold Leader in this ship, forget about it. The only X-Wing pilots that will fit in this rendition are the real skinny ones.
Grade: B-

Red Leader is just another recycled figure. He possess the exact same body as the POTJ Luke X-Wing only with a new head that doesn't have a removable helmet. The fact that his helmet doesn't come off is a letdown but they could've at least given him a proper sized head. When standing next to other pilots his head w/helmet looks about half the normal size. I really wish they would've just thrown in an astromech repaint and saved Red Leader as a single carded character because this figure is total garbage. :frus:
Grade: F

B'Omarr Monkey
04-12-2004, 10:09 PM
This is disappointing to hear. I was actually looking forward to this.

I suspects that the R2 unit is something we'll see carded down the line, or part of one of those TRU 4-packs, which will hopefully also contain the figure and accessories from the proposed Yavin accesory pack.

Does Red Leader's helmet at least have the clear orange visor glued onto it? Or is it the same as the pre-removable helmet pilots?

Darth Jax
04-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Does Red Leader's helmet at least have the clear orange visor glued onto it? Or is it the same as the pre-removable helmet pilots?

no visor on helmet.

arctangent
04-13-2004, 08:41 AM
am i the only collector who is getting fed up of hasbro trying to push crap like this on us? a cardboard cutout droid for god's sake! there is obviously a department buried deep within hasbro's head office where they sit and think how to screw collectors for even more of their hard earned cash for very little in return.

JEDIpartner
04-13-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm so glad I had no intentions of getting this.

pegger
04-13-2004, 01:54 PM
I agree with you JEDIpartner..once I saw the pics I was leaning towards not getting it....this review has clinched it for me...

Thanks guys...

Dr Zoltar
04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm so glad I had no intentions of getting this.
I think you speak for many of us here...

B'Omarr Monkey
04-13-2004, 04:04 PM
am i the only collector who is getting fed up of hasbro trying to push crap like this on us? a cardboard cutout droid for god's sake! there is obviously a department buried deep within hasbro's head office where they sit and think how to screw collectors for even more of their hard earned cash for very little in return.

However crappy this item might be as a whole (I haven't seen it yet) I don't think Hasbro was trying to put one over on anybody with the cardboard droid. I'm sure it's just meant as a placement to show the uninitiated that you can plug an R2 unit figure into the socket. Hopefully this means we'll see Red Leader's R2 unit farther down the line.

I'm sure everyone would be complaining even more if it came with a droid that was nonremovable, and simply a dome, like the original X-Wing, which we'll be getting again in the Fall.

jedihunter25
04-13-2004, 04:11 PM
I saw this at TRU yesterday and it's so horrible that I passed on it.

chrisc
04-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I like it because it is a newer model X-Wing that has a droid socket. The only othe one I know of is lukes crashed X-Wing. I prefer the clean ones myself. I think this is just like that one though just with a different paint scheme.

dr_evazan22
04-13-2004, 05:36 PM
I bought this and, overall, it is a piece of crap. Red leader is the worst! What amused me, and hasn't been mentioned yet here, is the cardboard cutout of Red Leader that was placed in the cockpit. I have a diorama of sorts with all Rebel pilots. I'll find some way to get him to stand on his own and add him to it.

I have the crashed X-Wing also and never liked how black it was painted around the engine area. So I took both apart and put the cleaner engine area back on Luke's crashed X-Wing, and now Red Leader has a blacker engine area.

chrisc
04-13-2004, 05:40 PM
sounds like a cool idea let me go try that

TheDarthVader
04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
You bring up a good point arctangent. What was Hasbro thinking? They probably thought of this...Let's try to fool them in thinking that they are getting a droid too! <another rep> Yeah! We could add a cardboard cut-out and they'll think its a figure! <all reps> Yes!

Duh. I bought the X-wing and the cardboard droid fooled me. I thought I was getting a real figure. But since I have already opened it, I have to keep the piece of crap. (YEAH RIGHT! That cardboard droid would not fool anyone!)

Dr Evazan...good point. That cardboard redleader is laughable, utterly ridiculous, and absurd.

EVERYONE: CHECK THE SAGA SECTION. SOMEONE IS RAGGIN' ON THE X-WING!! THEY SAY IT IS NOT A GOOD X-WING. WOW!

B'Omarr Monkey
04-13-2004, 10:30 PM
What amused me, and hasn't been mentioned yet here, is the cardboard cutout of Red Leader that was placed in the cockpit.

That just goes to show that Hasbro does think we're a bunch of idiots. they felt a need to put that in there just so we'd know where the pilot was supposed to sit.

jedihunter25
04-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Great, now TRU will think twice about doing an exclusive vehicle again. Maybe they should have picked something else "cough- like the long awaited Cloud Car- cough". This can really screw things up for everybody.

arctangent
04-14-2004, 04:36 AM
However crappy this item might be as a whole (I haven't seen it yet) I don't think Hasbro was trying to put one over on anybody with the cardboard droid. I'm sure it's just meant as a placement to show the uninitiated that you can plug an R2 unit figure into the socket. Hopefully this means we'll see Red Leader's R2 unit farther down the line.

I'm sure everyone would be complaining even more if it came with a droid that was nonremovable, and simply a dome, like the original X-Wing, which we'll be getting again in the Fall.

they are trying to sell us a substandard product. unfortunately for hasbro they have upped the quality bar so much recently that when they release product like this its just not good enough.

its not just the carboard droid (although if there is a hole in the back of the x-wing i am sure most of us can work out what its for. we don't need a piece of cardboard to tell us. same goes for the cockpit too - i think we can work out where the pilot is supposed to sit) its the lack of care with the pilot figure. fair enough, if they want to reuse bits of an old figure to save cash, but it sounds awful - head the wrong size, no removeable helmet, no visor and the face not anything like the character in question. and then, they are going to try and sell it to us again as luke's x-wing in the autumn?

fair enough, people want this, but the least hasbro could do is give them a decent product for their money.

dr_evazan22
04-14-2004, 08:36 AM
its not just the carboard droid (although if there is a hole in the back of the x-wing i am sure most of us can work out what its for. we don't need a piece of cardboard to tell us. same goes for the cockpit too - i think we can work out where the pilot is supposed to sit) its the lack of care with the pilot figure. fair enough, if they want to reuse bits of an old figure to save cash, but it sounds awful - head the wrong size, no removeable helmet, no visor and the face not anything like the character in question. and then, they are going to try and sell it to us again as luke's x-wing in the autumn?

This is the worst pack in fig that I can think of, I agree with you guys.

In regards to the cardboard cutouts, to be fair to Hasbro, they were inserted in their respective palces because the package is set up to look like its Red Leaders Death Star run; recreating the scene from the movie. Which is good, if you don't plan on opening the package.

The X-Wing we'll be getting in the fall is the original, smaller X-Wing.

AmanaMatt
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Ok, saw this in stores and almost laughed my arse off. What is unique to this vehicle, the paint deco? It's not enough for me to justify the price. It's not like we really do not have the same vehicle already ... the pack in figure is just a Luke X-wing body on another craptacular quality head.

To those that have not bought this, and I am sorry to those that did:

AVOID THIS VEHICLE AT ALL COSTS!

If we stop buying trash, Hasbro will stop making it.

Hellboy
04-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Well speaking for myself, for $30 I'd say it's still worth it for the X-Wing alone. It is a rather nice vehicle and I wanted one with the clean look. I was never a big fan of the blackened look the Dagobah version had and it is $10 cheaper than that one was. If you can get past the fact the figure is crap and still want the best version of the X-Wing released so far then I suppose its worth it. I really don't regret buying mine I just wish the entire product was quality. I'm mostly upset at the fact that we probably will never get another rendition of Red Leader thats more accurate.

arctangent
04-16-2004, 05:19 AM
i actually saw one of these in a shop yesterday and its the first time i have seen it 'in the flesh'. i looked long and hard at the pilot and i think he looks like joe 90 from the gerry anderson puppet series. as hellboy pointed out the x-wing itself is nice and is much cleaner that both luke's versions. i prefer this flavour of x-wing to the tiny potf version but that's not enough to get me to part with 40.00. i think the shop owner was hoping i would buy it as i spent a while looking at it and when i asked him if he had sold any the answer was no, people keep looking at it and then putting it back on the shelf. poor guy :ermm:

stillakid
04-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Wow, I think I have just been broken of my completist mentality by this thing. I finally saw the new X-Wing at TRU and did automatically pick it up. But after looking at the figure I just couldn't justify (essentially) paying $30 bucks for the pilot. I've already got a couple of the previous large X-Wing so I don't really need another.

Maybe if these go on sale I'll pick it up just to have the figure. But $30 is just too much to ask for so little.

Reefer Shark
04-16-2004, 03:49 PM
The pack in figure is crap, I'll agree with you all on this.

But I really like the X-Wing and I'm happy to have it. I would rather have paid $25 and left the figure at TRU (or more acurately, my fiance would've rather paid $25 :D ). But hey, what are you gonna do? I wouldn't shy away from buying a vehicle I like just because of a $5 price difference.

It really would have been perfect if they would've included the astromech droid instead though....

plasticfetish
04-17-2004, 02:16 AM
Well...

I've got to agree with just about anyone who's said that this thing is a big disappointment. I don't own it. I've seen piles of them in TRU and I'm sure I'll continue to see piles of them until -- say 5 years from now -- when they put them on clearance. I've picked up the box and like most of you, felt some minor excitement turn to major confusion. Well, really I suppose I'm not confused... more like sadly amazed.

Instead of a standard review for this item, let's look at it from a marketing standpoint. Who else will or will not buy this thing and why.

Exclusive to Toys "R" Us, this window boxed X-wing comes with a very "special" Red Leader figure as a pack-in. I'll give this item plus points for packaging, as I really love the window box idea, especially when it comes with a pack-in figure. Target's A-wing was a great example of a vehicle that I really love to have displayed in the box... it's just the right way to do this sort of thing for toy collectors. It's also the best way to show off the toy to any kids that might be looking. In this case, my own toy loving kid -- the one with a room full of toys including piles of Star Wars figures and vehicles that make any kids coming over to play drool with jealousy -- looked, got excited (X-wings are exciting, let's face it) and then said, "Where's the droid?"

Toys "R" Us is selling this vehicle for $29.99 right now. They merchandise them (as I've seen) by putting them either in a big pile on the floor, or stacking them on the bottom shelf down where no one can see them. In the case of the floor pile I saw, all boxes seemed well dented and had for each some significant damage to the cellophane window. So, that would seem to exclude the collector looking for a clean boxed X-wing to display.

It's what's inside the box that's most important though... so let's take a look. First there's the pack-in figure of "Red Leader." We have basically the POTJ X-wing pilot Luke's body, but with a unique new head stuck on top. In my opinion, and most everyone's I suppose, this figure's a piece of garbage. Why use the Luke body? (Aren't we getting another Pilot Luke at some point that's better?) No one's really in love with that body as it's kind of skinny looking. Compared to the body used on the new Dutch Vander figure with it's bendable knees and great detailing, this one's a joke now anyway. Then there's the head... it's terrible. Gumball machine quality and again, after the Vander figure... or even the Target A-wing, I thought we'd get a removable helmet, but no. I can't see any collector getting excited about this figure, so it's for sure not the reason for them to buy this toy. As for the kids, I'm imagining most parents are getting stuck at the point when the price scanner says, "$29.99" -- so that pretty much eliminates them all together.

The X-wing itself is nice. I'll admit I want one and like the idea of being offered a basic X-wing with a slot for a removable droid. It would have been best if maybe this X-wing had come with stickers un-applied, which would then have made it more appealing to customizers.

As for the Astromech droid that comes packed with this exclusive vehicle, it seems a bit thin to me. (Hahahahahah!!! NOT funny.) I've been sitting here trying to think of any other instance where Hasbro has done something like this paper droid insert thing... and I just can't come up with anything. In that regard, I suppose this really is a unique item. Uniquely ridiculous in that Hasbro couldn't come up with anything better than a cardboard cutout of a droid, one that I'm sure some of us would like to have more than the vehicle itself. Sure, I'm gonna imagine, and this is really giving Hasbro the benefit of the doubt, that we might get Red Leader's droid as a single card offering in the distant future... but why?!? It's simply insane to have not included a droid with this vehicle. It's stupid and a bit insulting that Hasbro would think that collectors would generally favor a piece of paper over even a simple solid one piece plastic droid. It could have been as easy as that... a nicely painted solid plastic droid to fill the slot. Again, something customizers might like to repaint, and at least something three dimensional to fill that empty slot. But no, they go with paper, and again, I can't see kids or collectors loving this idea... or jumping at the chance to pay $29.99 for the chance to one day, maybe, pay another $5-$7 to fill that empty slot.

So, in general I see this vehicle as being a failure. The price is too high for what's being offered. The pack-in figure is bad and of a quality that rivals the Falcon carrying case figure from way back... I think I like that one even better really, it's got a better face sculpt. The ship is good, but not great and I'm wondering how Toys "R" Us thinks it can sell it for $29.99 when Target has sold their exclusive A-wing for less. I'm tired of hearing Toys "R" Us complain about their business being snatched away by stores like Target and Wal*Mart, when they do very, very little to try and compete. Target sold all of their vehicles -- I bought two -- and it had everything to do with quality and price. Something that this vehicle has neither of. Also, Target knows when to put old merchandise on clearance, making way for new items, something that the masterminds at TRU seem to misunderstand. I'm expecting that this toy will sit on the shelves (or floors) at Toys "R" Us for a long time. It offers nothing special to the collector, and for the money, even less to the child fans. Odds are I suppose, that if they ever do come out with a single carded Astromech for Red Leader's X-wing in next five years, that Toys "R" Us will still have plenty of these sitting on the shelf to go with it.

JediTricks
04-17-2004, 05:03 AM
"Why use the Luke body?" Having seen this sucker in person today, I think I can explain this... the cockpit perfectly accomodates that Luke figure, but cannot hold Gold Leader or other pilot figures because they are too big. To ensure that the toy has a pilot that works with it, they used the Luke body which is a definite fit (but gave it a hideous new headsculpt, yow!!!). The pricepoint on the last one was $10 higher than this, yet came with a pack-in figure that was super-easy to make (take R2-B1 figure mold, give it R2-D2 paint masks w/ mucky spray) and a few accessories. Since they dropped the price $10 and removed the accessories, I don't think they saw how they could have included the pilot figure AND the droid, but they should have TRIED.

I thought it was weird that there is a cardboard "wing" attached to the ship at the window, that seemed so pointless to me. Also, it seems like the ship is made from a different-colored plastic which has a slight pink hue to it.

plasticfetish
04-17-2004, 05:28 AM
Yeah, that makes sense about the Luke body. It's really pathetic though that it's the only one that fits. I just don't get why they wont come up with a good generic body for the pilots... like say, the way they keep using the imperial officer body for everything. I'll admit, I didn't buy the other X-wing either at $39.99 -- it's just too much for it I think. In this case, if the figure simply had a better head and we'd been shown any sign of a droid coming, (or even a non-removable one molded on) then I'd have been for it.

Banthaholic
04-17-2004, 10:38 AM
I might be one of the only ones here who is a fan of the TRU x-wing.

Why? It's an x-wing. These things rule. I know later this year we're getting the OTC model, but that will be the shorter, out of scale model. So for $30, this is worth it IMO, since TRU will prob sell the OTC model for $21.95, for a mere $8.05 more we get better scaling and a generic pilot figure. There are so many people complaining about an item like the sandcrawler, and how they wich Hasbro would invest more money into it and would be glad to pay for better scale. Well they invested more money in this so it costs a bit more. If they wanted to include a new figure and/or droid it would cost near the $40 dagobah version then price would have been an issue, and avg kids could be turned off from it. My point being it's tough to please everyone.

The beauty of this item is that it contains something for every type of SW fan. For the colelctors we get a Red Leader x-wing, pretty darn cool IMO. Not often you get a specified background characters vehicle (other than action fleet). For kids, they get an x-wing and a pilot. Kid's could care less who's piloting the ship, it's a pilot and that's all they care about. While collectors might know who Garven Dreis is, avg kids, and the typical mom who does the b-day shopping doesn't as well.

For the figure issue. Whould I have loved a good Garven Dreis figure? You better believe it. Although the fact that we got Gold Leader 'Carded' this year, leaves hope that we will get one sometime in the next 18 years. The generic figure they included, is just that an extra generic figure. You can through it in a Yavin/Hoth diarama and be happy with it. The droid would have been great, but its design might have bumped up the price, the x-wing pilot was prib cheap to do, and kept the price low. I don't know why everyone is upset about the cardboard cutout, it's almost a forshadowing of a future figure. Just be glad they didn't put in a fixed R2-D2 like vintage days. The empty slot leaves hope that we're getting the droid, a fixed, worng droid would have ruined the ship. We got the better of the two.

All in all, I'm happy with what I got for $30. I got a darn cool ship, and a different looking x-wing pilot. Considering I paid $10 each for every one of the 3 Ep2 force-flippers(ie $30) this was a much better use of my money.

aza77
04-29-2004, 08:12 PM
I agree....how could anyone be miffed at this x-wing....after all, most people liked the dagobah xwing. The basic difference between the two is that this one is 10 dollars cheaper. I mean, IF they do offer a R5 droid in the future for 5 dollars, that plus the 30 for the ship and pilot come out to 35. FIVE DOLLARS LESS that the dagobah xwing with the rehashed EP1 droid with NO third leg and some green goo splatter. I mean come on....No one complained this much at the 40 dollar cost of the dagobah one.

Jaff
05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
This figure is totally disgusting. I hate this fig. It would have been better if the vehicle came with no figure.

chrisc
05-17-2004, 02:48 PM
shps cool, figure will do.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-16-2004, 04:32 PM
I got this ship for $20 from thr TRU site, and it arrived today. I actually really like it. It's a nice, clean, non-Luke X-wing. It would have been better if the figure's head was different, and it it came with a droid, but it's a good set, especially for $20, which is about the price of the OTC tiny X-wing. Separate droids can be put into the socket, which is cool.

My grade: B+

EDIT: I just compared him to the figure from the Target Y-wing from a few years ago. Their heads are exactly the same! The only difference is paint color/deco.

plasticfetish
06-17-2004, 01:23 AM
$20 is a good price! For that you could toss the pilot and still get your moneys worth.

Reefer Shark
06-17-2004, 09:27 AM
It's a great price for the ship. Now I wish I had waited.

I gotta check Amazon/TRU more often!