PDA

View Full Version : Shaun of the Dead

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I know fellow zombie fan Guyute has talked of this already, but I felt that the film should get its own thread. The British are back showing the world how to make a proper zombie film. As Guyute posted earlier, the following website (http://www.uip.co.uk/films/shaun_of_the_dead/) links to a synopsis and trailers. Everything sounds good so far...

BUT today a review was posted at Rotten and Butane's horror site. This review (http://www.creature-corner.com/reviews/shaunofthe.php3/) has me thinking this could be the best thing to happen to the zombie genre in a long time. Give it a read and let us know what you think about this film.

We’re coming to get you, Barbara!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-12-2004, 10:42 PM
JBF- Yeah, BD gave it a solid 5 stars!!! The older trailers i think are a tad more hilarious as they have that great scene where they're deciding what records to throw at the undead. I can't wait for this flick to hit the US in the fall! :D

PS- I'll be shocked if this thread gets more replies than just the two of us. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, Guyute. Here's the Bloody Disgusting Review. (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/reviews.php?id=366)

Sidiously Darth
04-13-2004, 02:16 AM
Heck Yeah! I found this movie through comingsoon.net and it looks hilarious. I hope it gets a good release in the states. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the dvd.

arctangent
04-13-2004, 04:34 AM
although i have not got to see this film yet, i will because it looks hilarious. here in the uk, i have not seen one bad review of it and simon pegg is a very good young british comedy actor.

i am amazed that anyone outside the uk has heard about or cares about shaun of the dead though - a lot of the humour is very british which lots of other people from different nations don't seem to get. (no doubt if it does well, hollywood will want to remake it so it is set in america)

James Boba Fettfield
04-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Sidiously, I think the release for America will probably be like 28 Days Later. Its release is fall 2004, but I'd have to check to see if a date has been announced yet.

As for a remake, I hope not. I really do not need to see an American Shaun of the Dead that is full of sex jokes and the such. They'd find a way to cast Snoop Dogg and you know the rest.

Even if that were to happen, we'd all still know about the original.

Pendo
04-13-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't know why but the film does not appeal to me, but I have heard nothing but praise about it so I might give it a try :). Probably just wait for the DVD though.

PENDO!

Dr Zoltar
04-13-2004, 03:03 PM
i am amazed that anyone outside the uk has heard about or cares about shaun of the dead though - a lot of the humour is very british which lots of other people from different nations don't seem to get. (no doubt if it does well, hollywood will want to remake it so it is set in america)
British humour is so far better than American humour. Case in point, Hollywood attempted to create a Red Dwarf US pilot. It was awful. I saw it once and don't think I could sit through it again. Thank cable for at least offering BBC America.

I can't wait for Shaun of the Dead. I have a group of friends that are ready for when it's released in the US.

Pendo
04-13-2004, 03:27 PM
British humour is so far better than American humour. Case in point, Hollywood attempted to create a Red Dwarf US pilot. It was awful. I saw it once and don't think I could sit through it again. Thank cable for at least offering BBC America.

I can't wait for Shaun of the Dead. I have a group of friends that are ready for when it's released in the US.
Love the Arnold Rimmer avatar Dr Zolatr :D

Smeg head ;)

I agree about British humor bing a lot better than American humour, the Red Dwarf US Pilot was such a big pile of steaming poo, and I don't have much hope for the US version of The Office :(.

PENDO!

Hellboy
04-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I've heard of this film and think it sounds great. I agree with Dan Whitehead's (Creature Corner) assessment of what was missing from the DOTD remake. I like the idea of more character development and a better emphasis on shock and loss. That is one of the reasons I really enjoyed 28 days later and the original DOTD, so that addition alone makes me want to see this. As far as the humor goes I think it could work well if applied liberally and based on the reviews it sounds like it was done without compromising the horror aspects of the film. I'm looking forward to catching this when its released. Thanks for the links. :cool:

britcit3
04-23-2004, 12:34 AM
Hi all

I have seen Shaun of the Dead and it is HILARIOUS.

It is basically SPACED THE MOVIE - SPACED being a UK comedy series written by Simon Pegg (ALL of the cast from SPACED are in the movie).

Pegg is a real zombie film fan - there is an episode of Spaced where he stays up all night after taking a load of amphetamines playing Resident Evil, so that he actually thinks that he is in the game - very amusing.

Anyhoo - when this is realeased across the pond, go and see it - you will not be disappointed.

BC3

James Boba Fettfield
04-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Many of us do plan on seeing it when America gets the film. We're sorry we couldn't give you Brits an equally entertaining film with the new Dawn of the Dead.

Thanks for the small, but excellent, review, britcit.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-17-2004, 03:00 PM
The release date has been kicked back to early next year!!! :frus:

According to Variety, Focus Features (Universal) has committed to a U.S. release for the hysterical zombie flick Shaun of the Dead, which was produced by WT2, the low-budget division of Working Title Films. The comic horror pic will go out via Focus' newly formed genre label Rogue Pictures (Seed of Chucky). Though no date has been set, Focus is understood to be planning a 1,000-print release for "Dead" early next year. "Dead" was billed as a "zom rom com" -- a zombie romantic comedy -- starring and co-written by Brit comedian Simon Pegg and co-written and directed by Edgar Wright. To date it has grossed nearly $14 million from its U.K. release through UIP since its bow April 9.

Better late than never, i guess. thanks to the BD for the news. :D

Hellboy
05-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Ah Bollicks!! :mad:

Why not just give it to us on DVD before years end? :confused:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-08-2004, 10:43 PM
*does happy dance*

Oh, if only JBFF could see this!! :crazed:

Fangoria reports that, "Focus Features' genre division Rogue Pictures will release the eagerly awaited "Shaun of the Dead" September 17 in the U.S. The British horror/comedy, directed by Edgar Wright and starring Simon Pegg, will also have its North American premiere at Montreal's FanTasia film festival Friday, July 23. Wright and Pegg also wrote Shaun, in which the slacker title character and his best friend attempt to rescue Shaun's mum and ex-girlfriend in the midst of an all-out zombie invasion of London."

WOOHOOO!!!! I CANNOT wait to see this!!! I also found the official site. http://uip.co.uk/romzom/ It has some nifty stuff to look at and a fun game where throw records at zombies. Also, props to anybody who tell me what music the play right before the game starts. ;) ta ta!! :D

Hellboy
07-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Cool site! Thats sweet we're getting to see this movie so soon. :D

As for the guess on the music at the beginning of the game Guyute, hmmmm let me think, it sure sounds a lot like the music playing during the pie fight in Romero's Dawn of the Dead. :crazed:

Hellboy
07-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Apparently the release date has shifted a bit. This was reported over at Fangoria.com

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2578

Focus Features' Rouge Pictures division has slightly altered its release plans for the zombie comedy SHAUN OF THE DEAD. Instead of opening in top markets September 17th and going wide September 24th, as previously reported, it will debut all across the country on the 24th. Look for an updated website for the film to open soon at http://www.shaunofthedeadmovie.com/

mm74md
08-02-2004, 12:42 PM
I was able to see this online. I almost bought the UK DVD, but I'm glad I held out. This has to be my favorite zombie movie ever. Well, would you count 28 Days Later a zombie movie? If so, Shaun is my 2nd favorite zombie movie!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-06-2004, 01:55 AM
well, so there i was with my good friend, rachel, in a darkened theater, last night, awaiting to watch "The Village" and the coming attractions come on. I see "ROGUE PICTURES" on the screen along with some very familiar music. After about .2 seconds, i realized what it was and immediately began hitting her knee, like a kid in a candy store, whispering, "shaun of the dead, shaun of the dead, holy @%@@, it's shaun of the dead!"

That's right, we now have an OFFICIAL US Trailer for the film. It's pretty awesome and has some awesome footage that wasn't in the other trailers. Check it out and prepare to love it!!

http://www.focusfeatures.com/viewer.php?f=shaun_of_the_dead&c=trailer&ext=mov&w=480&h=202

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Yahoo movies has a few great clips up from the flick.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=trailer&id=1808585014&intl=us

Clicky clicky!! cheers!! :D

gsr-jedi
09-16-2004, 10:44 PM
I can't wait till this comes out, it looks hilarious.

Darth Jax
09-28-2004, 10:18 AM
saw the movie at a midday matinee on a monday. and i wasn't the only one in the theater, there were probably 30 of us watching it at that time. largest crowd i've ever seen at a non-weekend matinee.

the movie itself was great. excellent effects and terrific humor. only downside is with the british accents it takes slightly longer to process what's being said onscreen. the zombies are of the classic slow, shambling style.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-02-2004, 10:21 PM
I finally saw this flick tonight and it was HYSTERICAL. I do agree with the Brit accent thing that it's a bit rough at times, but being the movie dork i am, I was fine with it. Ed was freakin' hysterical and it was great to Shaun develop during the film. One of the things i really liked is how we got to love the characters and were like, "ah, hizzy!" when one bit the dust.

What shocked me about it was just how gory it was! I couldn't believe it. Very gruesome in a few scenes, but that just added to the film for me. There are also several references to other "zombie" films and horror films. It'll take a few tries to catch all of them, but it'll be worth it. This flick had everything: humor, drama, gore and romance! A wonderful picture!!!

Check it out now! :crazed:

and i dedicate my avatar/profile to Shaun now. :D

Dr Zoltar
10-04-2004, 07:30 PM
This movie rocked! I can't wait to get it on DVD in the states. It is one of the best Zombie movies ever!

Hellboy
10-04-2004, 08:47 PM
I saw the film this afternoon and absolutely loved it. Great balance of horror and comedy and the "zombie" film references were indeed cool. I'm sure I missed alot of them but a few that I did notice was Shaun's place of employment, Foree Electric and the lines "we're coming to get you Barbara" and "rage infested monkeys." Good stuff, I'm looking forward to the DVD as well.

mrmiller
10-04-2004, 10:01 PM
I loved this movie. One that actually lived up to all the talk I was hearing about. Even my wife got a kick out of it.

BTW- I've already got my UK DVD comming :p I can't wait another 6 months to see it again. Good thing my TV does both NTSC and PAL.

=MATT=

Darth Jax
10-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Viewed this today, for the second time. It was just as funny with the second viewing which often isn't the case.

James Boba Fettfield
10-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Talk about a quick release...

IGN is saying this film will be on dvd on December 21 for the US.

And I haven't seen this film yet, Guyute :(

2-1B
10-31-2004, 10:22 PM
I finally saw this movie yesterday and I absolutely adore it. That's a definite DVD purchase, no doubt.

Now the only question I have for everyone here is . . . "Can I get you c**** a drink?" :D

Did anybody else recognize Pete as the voice of Darth Maul ? :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Did anybody else recognize Pete as the voice of Darth Maul ? :)

well, #@%@ a doodle doo, it was him!! I noticed his voice at first, but i couldn't place it. Once you hear him first complain about the door being opened, you can really hear it in his voice. Thanks for pointing that out cos that was irkin' me! :D

Well, i guess that means all of the SSG zombie geeks have seen this fli- oh, minus JBFF. Tsk tsk sir!! You must be slipping in your old OSU age, dude! :)

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2004, 06:50 AM
Well, i guess that means all of the SSG zombie geeks have seen this fli- oh, minus JBFF. Tsk tsk sir!! You must be slipping in your old OSU age, dude! :)

I saw The Beyond, does that count for anything?

jeddah
11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi,

If you all liked Shaun of the Dead, you really need to check out the UK Sitcom that BritC was referring to at the beginning of this thread. SOTD is indeed Spaced the movie.

We have had 2 series of Spaced and the last series is being done now. Basically, it centres around 2 friends, Daisy and Tim (Tim being almost synonymous with Shaun, except Tim is a fantasy cartoon artist).

It is heavily into the horror, Sci-Fi and fantasy references and each episode is littered with in jokes that geeks like us love. Plus, it is funny! Actually, I think it is funnier than SOTD.

To wit, Peter Serafinowicz is one of the characters (Tim's sworn enemy) and talks in his Darth Maul voice. In one episode, he manages to get one over on Tim and says "...At last we will have revenge" etc.

buy em, and if you can't play them, then buy a region free DVD player!

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk

EDIT: from above site;

Check out the Star Wars Spaced collectors edition artwork for the new Spaced boxset

Sep 30 2004, 01:34 PM by Downsy

Spaced in the US

Hi there! I thought I'd let you know that Spaced began airing again in the US this past Monday. It's airing on a channel called Trio. Trio is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns Bravo. Trio's official web site is: www.triotv.com
and their page for Spaced is: www.triotv.com/spaced.
Spaced airs weeknights from 10PM-11PM, and then is repeated from 1AM-2AM. According to their schedule, they will be airing it through October 1st. I believe it is airing here to coincide with the theatrical release of Shaun of The Dead.
Thanks go to Michael Wagner for the info

2-1B
02-18-2005, 01:56 PM
I just can't get enough of this movie on DVD. All week long I've had so much of the dialogue stuck in my head so I guess I'll need to watch it again this weekend. ;)

jeddah, I need to look into these other projects. I'm hooked ! Was Nick Frost (Ed from SOTD) in Spaced ?

If you guys are looking for me on the forums later, don't waste your time. I'll be at The Winchester. :D

britcit3
02-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Nick Frost plays Simon Peggs best mate in Spaced - the wierdo gun lover who gets chucked out of the Territorial Army and has to settle for being in the Rough Ramblers.

BC3

2-1B
02-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks BC3 !
I don't get Trio but hopefully the import of it to our airwaves means we'll get a DVD of it over here ?

Is it on DVD on your side of the pond ? I don't have a region free player . . .

Kidhuman
02-19-2005, 11:19 PM
I watche dthis the other day, funny movie. Great parody of ZOmbie FLicks.

Slicker
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm way behind on the curve but who gives a damn.

I FINALLY saw this just minutes ago and it was quite funny. I love how it was a comedy yet a serious horror flick all rolled into one.

A good movie in my book (but that book is filled with War of the Worlds and King Kong too :razz:)

2-1B
06-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the club Slick ! Glad you enjoyed it. :) I haven't watched it in several months, I'd say I'm about due. Thanks for the prompt. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I FINALLY saw this just minutes ago and it was quite funny. I love how it was a comedy yet a serious horror flick all rolled into one.

On HBO Zone by chance? I had it on as well. Of course I have seen the movie several times beforehand and own the dvd. It is a fantastic movie. Very well done. Glad you enjoyed it too Slick.

Slicker
06-03-2006, 08:15 PM
On HBO Zone by chance? I had it on as well. Of course I have seen the movie several times beforehand and own the dvd. It is a fantastic movie. Very well done. Glad you enjoyed it too Slick.If I'm not mistaken yeah. It was either that or Starz.

2-1B
06-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Slick, who was your favorite character ?

Mine is Ed. :D

Slicker
06-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Slick, who was your favorite character ?

Mine is Ed. :DI will second that and say Ed. He just goes through life it seems without giving a damn about anything.

The one thing that made me love him was at the end when he apologized to Shaun about farting. Just the context of it all was funny.

2-1B
06-03-2006, 11:40 PM
"I'm sorry, Slick." ;)

Hey, awhile back I had a nice Ed-atar going, a shot of him wearing his "I Got Wood" t-shirt. :crazed:

Phantom-like Menace
06-04-2006, 12:09 AM
No part of this movie makes me laugh more than the Sade CD, but the gag where all of his plans end at the Winchester makes me smile. I haven't watched that movie since before I learned the roommate was the voice of Darth Maul.

Slicker
06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Well I'll be damned!! I just did a quick search (not because I didn't believe you it's just that I wanted to see it with my own eyes) and lo and behold he sure as hell did do Darth Mauls voice.

Strange...

Phantom-like Menace
06-04-2006, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I'd known since before Episode I came out that Maul's voice was that of a British comedian, but it wasn't until a couple days after I watched SotD that I learned who it was.

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
This movie always makes me happy. Even if you don't get all of the little zombie film references (though it doesn't hurt to have some zombie films under your belt before giving it a view) there's still a lot to laugh about.

Yeah, it's just one of those films I don't think I'll ever be tired of watching. Glad to see it's found another fan in Slick. Make sure to spread your love of the film to others so they will watch it.

2-1B
06-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Yes, spread the love around like the zombie plague ! :grin:

Slicker
06-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Yes, spread the love around like the zombie plague ! :grin:Don't say the zed word!!!

Darth Jax
06-05-2006, 10:55 PM
zombies man, they creep me out.

Kidhuman
06-20-2006, 10:07 AM
For all you fans out there....

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=23&p2_articleid=221

darthvyn
06-20-2006, 10:22 AM
i didn't even know there was a smaller version! dammit!!!!

the head sculpt doesn't look great on the large one, though...

2-1B
06-20-2006, 10:25 AM
I think it should say "F*** a doodle doo!"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2006, 01:58 PM
i didn't even know there was a smaller version! dammit!!!!

that's why you need to keep your eyes on the CULT CLASSICS thread in the other toys section!!! There were pics and details on the small version the minute they were announced!!! That thread will be the first to get any info on any other Shaun figures too! :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
06-20-2006, 04:38 PM
You tell 'em JMG!!! lol

darthvyn
06-21-2006, 12:38 PM
i wasn't really too interested in the cult classics line when they first came out... just movie maniacs rehashes in the first wave. didn't peak my interest, so i didn't pay attention to them. bad marketing ploy, obviously. now if they had started out with a shaun figure, i would've taken notice!

2-1B
06-21-2006, 01:49 PM
what if they started with a Hassel-Fig ? :confused:

Rogue II
06-21-2006, 03:06 PM
The other night I couldn't sleep. This movie was on HBO, so I decided to watch it for the first time. It was pretty funny. Hopefully they will show it again soon so I can catch the short part in the begining that I missed.

2-1B
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
GOD DAMN I LOVE THIS F***ING MOVIE !!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm watching it again right now for the Horror Movie Contest and man oh man is this one of my all time favorites. It gets better every time I watch it. :love:

Oooooh and now the theme song kicked in. Doo doo doo dooo doooo doo do doo. lol

bigbarada
11-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Great movie! Easily one of my all-time favorites. :thumbsup:

2-1B
11-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Great movie! Easily one of my all-time favorites. :thumbsup:

"She's like buttterrrrr!"

- Ed

lol lol lol

bigbarada
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
"She's like buttterrrrr!"

- Ed

lol lol lol

I want to respond, but I don't think the movie line is appropriate for these forums. So I'll just go with this one:

"Alright! But dogs can look up."

:confused: They can, can't they?