PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of all these Silver exclusive figures?

JediTricks
04-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Ah, the ongoing tale of the silver exclusive figures, those rereleased figures turned silver and put onto special commemorative cards.

First there was Star Wars' silver anniversary figure, Darth Vader (http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=29477), chromed in multiple colors and super-exclusive, being available only at Toy Fair 2002 and briefly through the Fan Club.

Then came R2-D2 (http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=30163), also chromed in multiple colors but not hard at all to acquire, being available at Toys R Us stores all over the country as a giveaway after a spending $20 as well as in some stores sold directly.

After that was Boba Fett (http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=31853), who was painted silver instead of chromed, and available at several different conventions last summer for just $10 as well as briefly through the Fan Club.

Fourth was the oft-delayed silver Clone Trooper (http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=31854), another silver-painted figure who was released overseas some time before its US-debut earlier this month at Toys R Us website and stores, where some instances had it on sale directly for $5 or $6 even though officially it was a giveaway for spending $15.

Now comes news of this summer's newest convention exclusive, the silver-painted Sandtrooper (http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30142), who will be available at various conventions for $10 as well as through the Fan Club at a later date.

So what do you think of these exclusive silvery repaints? Cast your vote above and share your thoughts.

James Boba Fettfield
04-14-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm happy with them. I'm a carded collector, so I think it's great to have those silver figures to mix the collection up a little. Kind of like those animated style Clone Wars figures.

Now if this turns into a line where there's like 20 of these figures, well, then I might have to change my tune.

sith_killer_99
04-14-2004, 07:46 PM
The Toy Fair Vader looks really cool in the pictures, from what I've seen. :rolleyes:

I like my Chrome R2-D2, even if TRU had a little confusion over how to handle the exclusive.

The Silver Fett was well done.

The Silver Clone Trooper seems to be a total CLUSTER, not only did TRU handle the thing badly (ie selling a dozen to one guy for a penny a piece, then charging $4.99 each a day later, and giving them away with $15.00 purchase the day after that!!! :rolleyes: ) Not to mention that from reports I have seen, about 66% of these things shipped with crushed bubbles. Oh and some of these (mine included) have truely horrible paint jobs with large, visible patches of white!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like the figures, they are a cool idea, but Hasbro went cheap on us and reuined a good idea. First they switch to cheap silver paint (as opposed to "vac metal") then they barely even paint them. :rolleyes: :Pirate:

dr_evazan22
04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
I haven't had some of the problems that others have had obtaining these fig's. I would like the line a lot better if the fig's all were made the way the TF Vader was as opposed to the spray painting that the Clone underwent. I'd also like to see the fig's released on time (the Clone says on the package 2003).

For the most part it could be argued that all of the offerings to date have been 'icons' of the SW franchise (Vader, R2, Boba and now a Clone), but I think it will get a little muddy with the addition of the Sand Trooper.

jawa9
04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
I think it was a great idea that has gone cheap. Ever since they switched to silver paint, it has ruined the quality factor.

I stopped by the local TRU the other day to get the Clone Trooper. I ultimately passed on it because it just looks cheap. Very little articulation, poor paint job and on top of all that, it looks like the blaster is GLUED to his hand! I could be wrong because I didn't get it and open it but it looked like glue to me.

Also, almost every one of them (they had them in a dump bin) had partially crushed bubbles. Probably mostly due to the bubble being too thin in the first place. I collect carded figures, so an intact bubble is one of the things I desire.

I don't know what others have seen, but the blaster was bent in every package I saw. I am disappointed to say the least.

LusiferSam
04-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Junk. It's like crack for carded collectors. I picked up the silver Vader pretty cheap because I thought it might be cool to have. But I was unimpressed when I finally got him. The initial idea was a great, but continuing it I think is a poor idea at best.

Kidhuman
04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
I oicked good at first but getting old. I dont have the vader or R2(but getting one), got the Fett and getting a Clone. I think they should only be offered at conventions and not promoted throuigh TRU as well or vice versa. One place and only one per yearis fine. But in the last year we will have 3 of them. There is no novelty left to the idea. If they offered in the US for this years conventions the 2-pack Battle Droid and SBD, that would have been great. Hasbro is flooding the market with different exclusives and it is driving us mad. :beard:

Bobby Fett
04-14-2004, 10:43 PM
If you want a really cool looking plated figure (your choice), just look in the yellow pages for "plating" or "metal platers" (I don't remember which we found it under), make a call, and for very little you can have the figure or vehicle of your dreams. We had our choice of chrome, nickel, copper and gold.

The down side is that you'll have to card it yourself.

[KOC] Darklighter
04-15-2004, 12:19 AM
rare at 1st old now, i think the only "silver" figure still worth it is the vader figure since its the most rare.

stillakid
04-15-2004, 01:51 AM
See, the thing about a rare exclusive is that first it should be "rare," and second it should be "exclusive." I don't necessarily mean that each piece should be difficult to obtain, but I don't think that there should be a huge series of them. One or two silver things is fine. At that stage their unique etc. Now it's getting a little too run o' the mill.

skeeziks22
04-15-2004, 12:12 PM
The original idea of the Toy Fair Vader commemorating the Silver Anniversary of ANH was cool. But, what Silver Anniversarries do the rest of the figures represent? They should have done one each for the three original movies and left it at that. Something iconic of each flick... Vader (ANH), Fett (ESB), and Yoda/Jabba/Emperor (RoTJ).

I have been fortunate enough to grab each of these... and the clone troopers I have found are in good shape. I have noticed what looks like finger prints, or paint smudges on quite a few... so even if the bubble and card is in perfect shape, check the figure. Chances are there is something gobbed up with the paint job.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
The original idea of the Toy Fair Vader commemorating the Silver Anniversary of ANH was cool. But, what Silver Anniversarries do the rest of the figures represent? They should have done one each for the three original movies and left it at that. Something iconic of each flick... Vader (ANH), Fett (ESB), and Yoda/Jabba/Emperor (RoTJ).

That's a really great idea skeeziks! Too bad you didn't say something to Hasbro before :crazed:

I'm wondering why they picked the sandtrooper of all figures to "chrome"? That just seems a little off to me when there's so many other characters who should be silver...I'd love a silver leia, luke, han, chewie and a stormtrooper, I'd ask for a silver c3p0 but then we'd just have tc-14 again :crazed:

And Evenflow has a great idea for a red chromed Royal Guard.

But alas, I like skeeziks' idea best...make three, one for each 25 yr movie release.

Dialogus
04-15-2004, 01:35 PM
I began to lose interest when the Silver Fett came out. Vader (the one I'm missing like many of us) and Artoo look great in their cards but face it Fett and Clone are just rehashes soaked in gray paint. I'll probably pass on the Sandtrooper...

That would be ridiculous though to see Hasbro turning every fig into Silver Exclusive!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2004, 04:58 PM
I don't care about the rarity, I just hate that it gets played up about being available then you get screwed if you're not at the store at the moment the case gets put out. Additionally, after all the hype the figures just blow chunks. Vac-metal is one thing, Krylon/Rust-o-leum is a whole other bag.

skeeziks22
04-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Hasbro is good at pumping up certain figures, then you can never find them, or they show in extremely small quantities... Brown coat Han, Aayla Secura (she just showed up very late in many places... then was over-produced), SA Clone Trooper, Clone Wars Animated figures (esp. Yoda).

I wish they would put more time and effort into producing quality items than they do in advertising for them, just to have most people be let down by the lack of quality, or availability (and frequently both).

Bacta Beast
04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
I oicked good at first but getting old. I dont have the vader or R2(but getting one), got the Fett and getting a Clone. I think they should only be offered at conventions and not promoted throuigh TRU as well or vice versa. One place and only one per yearis fine. But in the last year we will have 3 of them. There is no novelty left to the idea. If they offered in the US for this years conventions the 2-pack Battle Droid and SBD, that would have been great. Hasbro is flooding the market with different exclusives and it is driving us mad. :beard:

I have to disagree with the idea of making then more exclusive, and harder for the average collector to obtain. That's what making them only available to show attendee's would do. The last thing this toy line needs is more pieces
that are difficult to get ahold of! I think TRU as a distributer is better than other choices.

I agree that the current paint jobs are crappy, they would be a lot more desireable with the metallic finish.

I voted "I don't care" because I would rather see Hasbroke spend more time and energy on getting the basic figures, ship, and accessorys to the people that want them. I'm lucky to be able to say I have all of the silver figures so far, but I would rather see the line end rather than see then become more "exclusive"

Maybe they could end tis idea now, or do just one a year. And than maybe some more when SW celebrates it gold 50th! C-3PO!!!

Bacta Beast
04-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Waitaminnit!!!! Did you say there was a silver Battle Droid?!!!!

Jaff
04-15-2004, 07:50 PM
I voted good at first, but now getting old.

I got the Clone Trooper and I have a chance to get a Boba for $15 right now, but who cares really. It's nice to have one or two carded to display next to my other carded figs, but their not that impressive.

Kidhuman
04-15-2004, 07:56 PM
No its not a silver battle droid, just a regular battle droid and a SBD in a two pack box.

JediTricks
04-15-2004, 10:15 PM
If you want a really cool looking plated figure (your choice), just look in the yellow pages for "plating" or "metal platers" (I don't remember which we found it under), make a call, and for very little you can have the figure or vehicle of your dreams. We had our choice of chrome, nickel, copper and gold.

The down side is that you'll have to card it yourself.You'd also have to take the figure apart before plating if you wanted the articulation to work, if you didn't you'd end up cracking the plating off when you move a joint (or just when air inside the plated-over joints causes a problem I think). But it does work, I've seen these done with figures and Hot Wheels down at the local collectibles show many a time.

Personally, I don't really care for all these figures, Vader was cool but so rare and not really an iconic version of the figure (they chose the Jedi Duel 3pack version of all the Vader's possible, probably because of the 2-handed saber pose), but R2 was a little lame AND incorrectly assembled, not to mention a tad overproduced. And then they did Fett with paint instead of vac-metal and that was the last straw for me... until seeing their choice of Sandtrooper, somehow a straw that was worse than the last straw by its sheer unimportance of character.

stillakid
04-16-2004, 01:03 AM
somehow a straw that was worse than the last straw by its sheer unimportance of character.

Hmm, I never thought about the straw that follows the last straw before. I think you have the makin's for a bumper sticker in there somewhere. :D

Reefer Shark
04-16-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm lucky enough to have scored a Vader, and I love it. Truly a unique figure.

R2 was ok.... but like Jeditricks mentioned, the incorrect assembly really blows (wake up Hasbro). The other suck IMO.... I didn't get a Fett, but I did get a few clonetroopers. I think I'm gonna add black paint for the details, and consider them "special troops" or something...

ronhudy
04-16-2004, 11:36 AM
I've only got R2 and the Clone Trooper to date.

NO COMPARISON - R2 looks nice (other than the incorrect assembly); the Clone Trooper looks like CRAP! And I agree that they should only do these at special events or limit them to like one a year, and make them core characters, and make 'em look nice!

I probably won't get any of these again if their going to continue looking like they do, and not making core characters. Are these resculpts by the way, or are they old sculpts? Maybe there is a bunch of POTF2 or POTJ Sandtroopers at Hasbro laying around, hence that being the next choice...spray it up, card it, and voila! An exclusive!

scruffziller
04-16-2004, 02:41 PM
I would be able to purchase a Silver Vader when I choose from my connection!!!:D

El Chuxter
04-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I love my Vader, and got a few R2's so I could have one loose to display as Arnie the Generic Silver-Plated Astromech Droid. :) R2 isn't nearly as nice as Vader, but was still pretty cool.

Boba Fett was poop, but I had a friend pick him up so I didn't know he was poop until I got him.

The Clonetroopers suck. I would've passed, but my wife has this way of talking me into getting SW stuff that I probably should pass on and have no problem passing on, and two Clonetroopers (!) were the same case. (Although I finally got the Hailfire Droid and Geonosian Fighter in the bargain.)

They should limit these to one per year and one per movie.

ANH: Vader
ESB (?): Boba
ROTJ (?): Artoo
AOTC: Clonetrooper

Which could leave a Battle Droid and Grievous as the last two. But I have a feeling it's more likely Hasbro will milk this for all it's worth, and by 2006 we'll have silver versions of every figure they've ever produced.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Which could leave a Battle Droid and Grievous as the last two. But I have a feeling it's more likely Hasbro will milk this for all it's worth, and by 2006 we'll have silver versions of every figure they've ever produced.

Ahhhhhhh, please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That is such a scary thought! :eek:

skeeziks22
04-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Just think of all the metal or armored characters in Star Wars that could be painted silver!

Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids, Biker Scouts, Stormtroopers (why do a sandtrooper before a regular stormtrooper?), Snowtroopers, TIE and AT-AT Pilots, 4-LOM, IG-88, EV-99, 8D8, Power Droid, EIII clone trooper, Greivous, greivous's guards, 3PO (though this would end up being TC-14) etc. etc.

and this, of course, is assuming they wouldn't do organic characters (flesh and fur painted silver). Now this is a scary thought.

Turbowars
04-17-2004, 12:15 AM
The funny thing is with all this complaining the Silver Clone was still bought up pretty fast around here. IMO, I think the line should have ended at R2. The packaging is more exciting than the gang banger silver spray paint special. With that said I do have them all and they do display well on card.:nerv:

JediTricks
04-17-2004, 02:21 AM
Oh boy, I've made a bumper sticker. Woo! :p

Are these resculpts by the way, or are they old sculpts? Maybe there is a bunch of POTF2 or POTJ Sandtroopers at Hasbro laying around, hence that being the next choice...spray it up, card it, and voila! An exclusive!These aren't resculpts, just old molds pressed back into service, but probably with slightly different materials (and obviously with altered paint masks :D).

kool-aid killer
04-18-2004, 12:53 PM
I voted good at first, but getting old. I never picked up a Toyfair Vader, never even seen him with my own eyes. I like his pose, and its something a little different for collectors to have. I did get R2 and i liked him despite his flaws. I felt no need to pick up Fett and even today dont feel that hes needed in my collection. But the Clone makes me think that Hasbro needs to stop with this "line" or be more selective of who they pick for it and in what way it is done. The Clone looks tacky in the photos ive seen and from what i read it doesnt seem like anything big either. I admit i went to TRU on the first day of the promotion but they said they didnt have anything and two weeks later here i type this with no call from them telling me that they have arrived. Whoever was in charge of getting these out has dropped the ball big time. How many stories have i read of people who cant get them with their $15.00 purchase only to hear that they were sold for $5 to somebody a day ago? I want the Clone because im entitled to it with my purchase (thankfully i was able to get something i really wanted instead of spending the cash on things i didnt need or want) but if i dont get him i wont be too upset.

JediTricks
04-18-2004, 06:57 PM
The silver clone promotion was really poorly handled, I thought. Most TRUs don't have enough adequate SW product to entice anybody to spend $15 anyway, half of 'em have 2-year-old pegwarmers, unpopular 12", and a few lightsabers, and the other half have even less than that... oh, except for the rare case of new figures that disappears 5 seconds after it hits the floor. :rolleyes: And after all that hype, pushing the details and release date back over and over -- I didn't feel tempted at all on that one.

mastermatt24
04-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I like them and I have them on the wall. Personally I think that they are a cool addition to SW. I never was able to get Vader or Fett(I didnt want a spanish one so I passed), but im ok with it, and if I can find them cheap Ill get them. If you guys see them and dont like them why would you buy them??

ronhudy
04-19-2004, 11:22 AM
I ended up buying the Jedi 4-pack to get it. I'm going to return it, 'cause I have those figs anyway. Only other thing they had were 2-year old 12" dolls, and 50 Zuttons. If they ask me for the Clone back (although I doubt they'd be that tacky), I'll be glad to give it back. It's a piece of junk...

JediTricks
04-19-2004, 10:12 PM
On the R2-D2 promotion, they specifically had it noted that you couldn't return those items without returning the R2 as well. However, if you don't bring the receipt with that Jedi 4pack, you *might* be able to get store credit (that's not the case at my local TRUs anymore though because it's a "collectible").

Kidhuman
04-20-2004, 07:32 AM
You cantreturn collectibles at TRU? What if it was an unwanted gift that you already had?

IMFETTUP
04-20-2004, 08:20 AM
The only figure I went out on a limb to buy was the silver clone trooper. Actually, this figure gave me a reason to buy a couple of unleashed figures I had my eye on. As far as I am concerned, the figures were a bonus. Speaking of the clone trooper, did anybody find or receive a clone trooper that is "unpunched"? I've read a few threads from another board that indicate that these are showing up, especially from Amazon.com. I will always choose a painted figure as opposed to a silver figure.

JediTricks
04-20-2004, 10:33 PM
In my area, if the gift is a collectible, then you can only get store credit during the holidays or with a gift receipt, otherwise the best you can do is a direct replacement. They're really harsh about this, it's a bummer.

skeeziks22
04-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Send your returns to me... I'll return them to my TRU. I guess there aren't enough collectors up here to make that a concern in Anchorage. Though store credit for returns without a receipt was supposed to be the comprimise. "Sure, you can return it, but you have to spend that money here." I think that's only fair when they have nothing but year old peg warmers on their shelves during that kind of promotion. However, when they ask for my phone number I give them a different one every time... just in case they keep track.

Is that return policy posted? If it's not I would take it up with a manager.

IMFETTUP
04-21-2004, 12:29 PM
I would think that the honest thing to do would be to return the figure along with the purchase. Of course this is totally my opinion. Maybe the other thing you could do is hold out until they have something you do want then go and return and repurchase so you can keep your figure. Not to change the subject, but I remember back when the Naboo Starship was on the shelves that it was a common practice to buy the starship, remove the red r2 unit, and return the starship with a regular r2 unit. That's really bad and I even told a manager once that they might not want to take it back because of the aforementioned reason. It was really enjoyable watching these two individuals leave the store with their starship. I guess I am a tattle-tale...oh well:p

skeeziks22
04-21-2004, 12:39 PM
I would think that the honest thing to do would be to return the figure along with the purchase.

That would be the honest thing to do, but with store credit at least they are still geting the money from you... so essentially no one loses. Even if you buy non-SW items with the credit they still get the money... ultimately that's all they care about.

Returning the ship without the figure is another thing entirely in which case the employees should be more conscious of what they are dealing with. Nothing should be accepted as a return unless the whole item is there... that's standard practice anywhere. Though it is still crappy that people would try that.

ronhudy
04-21-2004, 01:24 PM
I agree. I think the honest thing to do WOULD be to either buy something else OR return the figure. I have no problem with either of those options. As I said before, I think the Clone Trooper is junk so I would have no problem with returning it. My only point was that they had nothing which I would have purchased if not for the Clone Trooper offer; 50 musty-looking POTJ Zuttons and 50 EP2 12" dolls was about it. I could blow $20 easy in other items for my 8 and 9 year old. He-Man, Transformers, etc. - only problem is...the selection on those products sucks as well. I don't mind shopping at TRU, especially for the exclusives, or when they have a nice assortment of inventory. But lately, they have 30% of the stuff that Wal-Mart or Target does, at a 30% mark-up!

As far as the Starship/Red R2 unit deal...that's just plain, 'ol theft. VERY WRONG. I actually purchased a figure at Wal-Mart last year 'cause I was just astonished at what was done to it - it was an EP2 Plo Koon, repackaged on a POTJ card, with a Tessek Force File insert!!! The repack was actually done quite well - it caught my eye and it took me a minute to figure out what it was!

Since early 1999 up until the middle of last year, I have purchased one of every carded figure released, as well as acquired just about everything from the POTF2 line and some vintage items. At this point, with all the re-releases, recarding, quality control problems, and distribution problems, I have to say, that alas, I am doing this no longer. In fact I have already liquidated much of what I owned at swap meets/online. I am keeping and continuing to purchase and collect only the items which appeal to me on a case by case basis, and which are my personal favorites. It's been fun (albeit time-consuming and EXPENSIVE), but I personally feel that as collectors, we have been given the shaft because of the above mentioned problems, as well as the over-purchasing by the discount retailers. I will most likely purchase the upcoming original trilogy figures, but I think my kids are about to inherit 400 figures to do with what they please.... :dis:

skeeziks22
04-21-2004, 01:34 PM
In fact I have already liquidated much of what I owned at swap meets/online. I am keeping and continuing to purchase and collect only the items which appeal to me on a case by case basis, and which are my personal favorites.

I have seen a lot of collectors going this route lately. Soon, Hasbro will realize just how much of the market collectors make up. I am annoyed by figures being recarded 3-5 times as well. I did not buy card variations when POTF2 first started out, but then a drought in new items lead me down that path. I too am quitting that habit, though i will still buy one of each new figure... no longer picking up re-packs of old figures (with the possible exception of the OTC line because they look so nice). Small changes (blue card, to gold stripe) no longer appeal to me.

And frankly... to draw it back to the original discussion... re-paints are not that attractive anymore either. Silver over-paint, or a brown coat on Han... I don't care anymore, just give me something altogether new.

IMFETTUP
04-21-2004, 02:02 PM
That is the way to go. When I first started collecting, I had to have everything! A wife and a child quickly changed that. I truely believe that this is what seperates a fan from a fanatic. Not that there is anything wrong in having everything, but it can drive ya mad searching endlessly for that "hard to find" figure. Limiting myself to those things that were exciting for me made the search more rewarding. Now for you "completists" I have nothing but love for ya and more power to you. Just leave some on the shelves for others!

skeeziks22
04-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Not that there is anything wrong in having everything, but it can drive ya mad searching endlessly for that "hard to find" figure.

Not to mention the secondary market price on some re-packs, and package pose variations. Look at the MacQuarrie Trooper poses for that. The typical lightsaber pointed down pose is about $15... the lightsaber pointed up (if it's on ebay) goes for 3 times that at the least... and it's the same exact figure. Scarcity makes the price, not the quality of the figure.

Scarcity may also make the silver clone a worthwhile grab as well... most of us know the quality of the figure won't do that. Plenty of TRU's across the country never had any of these... and if they did the bubbles or cards were mangled. Have a decent clone on a nice card and I'm sure you can find a buyer.

ronhudy
04-21-2004, 05:58 PM
GREAT POSTS YOU GUYS!

I'm really glad to see I'm not alone in my opinions! I think for us collectors, especially in my age group, who were so excited when Phantom Menace came out, really got caught up in the merchandising - and for me, it was sort of like reliving my childhood. It was so cool at first, just buying the figures. My kids were only 3-4 years old then, and more into Thomas the Tank Engine. So I put the loose figs on display. Then came the "Darth Maul is so-hard-to-find syndrome". Reports of the "scarcity" of this figure (which 6 months later would be filling bins at TRU and Kay-bee!) really got me going, then I thought, "Hey! I'm gonna save some of these in the package and collect them!"

So here I am now, 5 years later, staring at what I have on display, and the boxes full of stuff which I can't display because I have no more room to do so, thinking "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?! TRYING TO COMPETE WITH SKYWALKER RANCH!!!" I have come to the realization that I can't take it all with me, and the collector's market is WAY TOO SATURATED with money hungry individuals who have made it difficult for us to simply enjoy our hobby.
I find myself strolling leisurely through toy sections of stores nowadays, sometimes not even batting an eyelash where TONS of SW merchandise used to lie. I don't find myself sifting through 20 figures on a peg, hoping the last one in the back will be what I'm looking for. I don't stop at 4 Wal-Marts, 3 Targets, 2 Kay-Bees, a TRU, and a comic shop on the weekends. NOPE. I'm done with that...from now on, I'll enjoy what I have chosen to keep, purchase only what I will truly cherish in the future (monetary value or not), and start stickin' a few extra Benjamins between the matresses....

That probably makes me less of a fanatic, but I don't think it makes me any less of a fan....

JediTricks
04-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Is that return policy posted? If it's not I would take it up with a manager.I did take it up with a manager, and he pointed out a small clause on the giant sign that gave them carte-blanche to modify the rules at any time.

It's a trip how TRU has changed since '98, back before TPM the employees were generally cool, helpful, appreciative of the fact that collectors basically kept them in business from January through October. They'd go the extra mile to help you find specific items, never blow you off on the phone or in person such as with "everything we got of that is on the shelf", and just made it so much easier to collect from TRU rather than WM or Target or KB or Kmart. Heck, I'd spend a while just hanging out with them while the trucks were unloaded, I'd even help them stock stuff and assist customers for them because they were helping me out with my collecting. Then the madness struck, I think the frenzy for rare SW figures in '98 and beyond really changed all the goodwill there, and drove the good employees away.

skeeziks22
04-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Then the madness struck, I think the frenzy for rare SW figures in '98 and beyond really changed all the goodwill there, and drove the good employees away.

I remember those days personally. I was working at TRU when the first figures were hitting the shelves again in '95. It was a short while before people started noticing variants (long/short saber, boba fett's mess of differently painted details). I had a feeling then that the variant collectors were starting to pop up in the toy market before SW had come back in '95. However, even though collectors were looking for certain variations at the time, Hasbro (Kenner) was not producing them on purpose, or short packing figures on purpose either.

But you are right... about the time of TPM something changed and the few collectors we had coming to the store were being far outnumbered by scalpers. We had a guy in our parking lot selling Telitubbies, Tickle me Elmos and action figures from his van that he had just cleaned us out of during christmas one year. That was the last time we were allowed to help out anyone looking for collectible toys (before then we didn't really consider them "collectibles" but rather just toys).

JediTricks
04-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Tickle Me Elmos, how could I forget about those? I remember my local store, before they redesigned the floor layout to Concept 3000, had secretly just put out a whole endcap of those Elmo toys right at that holiday season. It was the first time I had actually seen one in person and I was checking it out to see what all the hooplah was about when some customer heard its noise and started a stampede - within 5 minutes, an entire endcap was gutted. Not long after, I remember TRU employees getting mobbed whenever they had cases of ANYTHING under their arms and they were near the SW section, as if normal collectors had been driven rabid by inadequate amounts of certain figures that scalpers were hoarding and had turned feral.

2-1B
04-24-2004, 02:44 AM
I worked at TRU during the Tickle Me Elmo craze of 1996 . . . terrible retail memories.
Star Wars collectors (and Hot Wheels as well) have often been labeled poorly but the behavior of some customers in shopping for Tickle Me Elmo as well as Beanie Babies was equally offensive.

Thinking about N64 makes me cringe as well.

Personally I liked the silver figures (managed to get the TF Vader via the fanclub) but I feel that it's getting to be too much. I missed the silver clone and I don't feel the need to buy it on eBay or elsewhere. I'm surprised at that because I really enjoyed getting the first 3 but like someone else up there said, if they keep knocking these out, it will get to be too much.

Jedi Commando
04-25-2004, 02:15 PM
I hope they quit doing these and put their efforts elsewhere, I like fiqures to put into scenes and don't want a line of silver figures. It was kinda cool at first but it has lost it's alure with me.