PDA

View Full Version : Comic-con SD 2004

clonehead
04-15-2004, 02:01 PM
i've got my ticket. any one else coming?

DGFD
06-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Unfortunatley I do not get to go to San Diego Comic Con, even though I think it would be really fun. Living in Chicago makes it very difficult ecspecially when I am seventeen and starting to get ready for college. Anyway, I should be able to get the silver sandtrooper on starwars.com becuase I am a hyperspace member, meaning I should get first dibs on it when they become available. Unfortunatley, I am also a ghostbusters fan, and I am going to miss the exclusive ghostbusters comic book they will be selling down there. E-bay would be my only bet and I refuse to pay nearly five times what the item actually costs. If any forum member would not mind helping me out, I would definetly be willing to pay someone to pick this comic up for me. :classic:

Reefer Shark
06-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I really want to go this year. I want the Kill Bill, Freddy Krueger, and minimates exclusives dammit!!!

I don't think I can afford it this year though..... But if i do end up going, I'll try to pick up that comic for you DGFD.

DGFD
06-13-2004, 03:41 PM
If you do end up going, let me know and I will give you more information. Thanks Reefer Shark.

Turbowars
06-13-2004, 09:30 PM
I'll be there on Saturday, can't wait!

jjreason
06-14-2004, 12:54 PM
I would love to go someday. Living in BC now, I'm much closer than I used to be. My wife even has family within a couple of hours drive of SD, so we could likely get by with free accomodations should we ever get down there during the show.

And after the show....... TEQUILA in TIJUANA! :crazed:

mastermatt24
06-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Unfortunatley, I am also a ghostbusters fan, and I am going to miss the exclusive ghostbusters comic book they will be selling down there. E-bay would be my only bet and I refuse to pay nearly five times what the item actually costs. If any forum member would not mind helping me out, I would definetly be willing to pay someone to pick this comic up for me. :classic:
SURE! If I see the booth ill pick you up one no problem! Heck you might even get two if other people help out... Email me with your address and ill see what I can do. mastermatt24@yahoo.com
Of course im going to comic con... First time though. Ive allready got tickets for the entire thing, including preview night. I was gonna buy another ticket for the fan club breakfast but they sold out really really fast. :( Does anyone know if Lando is going to be there? I saw some lists of people that were going to be there and he was on there until I saw another one a few days ago and he wasnt on there but Luke was... Beats me. I was looking forward to lando too...

DGFD
06-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks a lot mastermatt24. I have sent you an e-mail with more information.:classic:

Runobot
06-19-2004, 07:26 AM
I am going. Anyone know what the exclusives are going to be?

Reefer Shark
06-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Runobot,
The only ones I know of are:

Neca: Kill Bill Quentin Tatantino (as a Crazy 88)
Neca: Freddy Kruegar (before he got burned)
Mezco: Hellboy 8" redux (different accessories, etc...)
Mezco: Living Dead Dolls (dont know the details on this one)
Art Asylum: minimates Logan and Yashido (I think?)
Gentle Giant: clear variants of series 1 bust ups

I'm sure there are lots more that I don't know about as well.
I mainly want the Kill Bill one myself, but wouldn't mind getting the Hellboy, Freddy, and minimates as well :smoker:

stillakid
06-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Errr :ermm: a job came up and falls exactly on Fri/Sat/Sun. There's no way I can make it this year. Figures.

Speaking of, I'll have to have someone else do my dirty work for me and pick up a Sandtrooper. Or were these things being offered through the club as well? :confused:

DGFD
06-19-2004, 05:34 PM
The silver sandtrooper will be availble through the star wars shop on starwars.com. It will be availble to Hyperspace members first and then what ever is left is for everyone else who is not a member that want ones. I am not going to comic con and this is how I plan to get my silver snadtrooper. Hope that helps.

mastermatt24
06-19-2004, 07:58 PM
I am going. Anyone know what the exclusives are going to be?

For one there is allways the Silver Sandtrooper, I heard something on SW.com about the hasbro booth having a small short story book (like what they did for CW). They are also selling various things like SW comic-con pens, key chains,
etc...

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2004, 04:39 PM
I think I'm going to be able to make it this year, after a two-year gap. But it'll have to be just one day, so I'm looking at Friday, being the Star Wars Day. Just a drive down, and drive back up at the end of the day (I live about 120 miles north of SD).

Reefer Shark
06-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Oh man, I completely forgot about the silver trooper (or maybe I was trying to pretend it doesn't exist). I also forgot about the GG bust: Luke in Stormtrooper outfit. That one looks cool!

I'm really making a point to try and go too. I've never been there, and my nephew really wants to go as well. I gotta try and hook the kid up. :smoker:

stillakid
06-22-2004, 12:06 AM
I might not have to work until late Friday (bummer), but that means that maybe I could attend the Con Friday AM through early afternoon. Is it open to the crowds early Friday? What time? Thanks! :)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Is it open to the crowds early Friday? What time? Thanks! :)
The convention is open from 10 am to 7 pm (only 10 to 5 on Sunday). Check out their official site for more details. Comic-Con website (http://www.comic-con.org/)

OC47150
06-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Can anyone who's going pick up one of the SW Heritage promo cards for me? I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

mastermatt24
06-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Can anyone who's going pick up one of the SW Heritage promo cards for me? I'd appreciate any help in this matter.
Sure... If I see the booth and they aren't too expenseive :crazed:

OC47150
06-28-2004, 12:24 PM
I'd appreciate that!

I know the AOTC promo card handed out at C2 was free, but in goody bags. I don't know about past Comic-cons.

blademasterfemme
06-30-2004, 10:56 PM
This will be my first year attending this event. Wish I would have booked my hotel room sooner, 130 a night and a mile away from the convention center.
:( At least I get to go, and perhaps I will be able to find a roomie for the weekend.

How about all those exclusives! Autographs! Only 3 weeks away.

OC47150
07-01-2004, 08:35 AM
A mile away (and the rate!) isn't that bad. At C1, my hotel was a 15 - 20 minute drive away, if we didn't get lost. Luckily, enough fans were staying at our hotel and we just followed people to the site after the first day.

mastermatt24
07-01-2004, 02:28 PM
a mile away from the convention center.

Wow.. only a mile away. :eek: Thats not bad at all. (im thirteen miles away...) :nerv:

derek
07-04-2004, 12:00 AM
check this out:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/movies/sw_sdcc_hi.mov

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-04-2004, 12:41 AM
If any kind soul would find it in themselves to pick up two of the Kill Bill QT exclusives and a Sandtrooper, i'd be most indebted to them...until, i just send ya the $$ for them. :crazed:

mastermatt24
07-04-2004, 02:48 PM
check this out:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/movies/sw_sdcc_hi.mov
It says that my comp needs new quick time stuff and it isnt on the quicktme website so I cant play it.. What is it anyways?

Turbowars
07-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Man, what a tease!!!!

derek
07-04-2004, 05:56 PM
It says that my comp needs new quick time stuff and it isnt on the quicktme website so I cant play it.. What is it anyways?

it's a black screen with vader breathing, then in yellow letter it says, "sideshow presents star wars" and has the SDCC logo.

basically it's a tease for their upcoming star wars line. probably 21 inch statues with real clothing on them, and will sell for about $250 each. very nice, but out of my price range.:)

Turbowars
07-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Such BS if you ask me. Hasbro probably has it that no one else can make 12" figures. Since they do such a 1/2 @ss job at it they should quit while they are ahead.:rolleyes:

derek
07-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Such BS if you ask me. Hasbro probably has it that no one else can make 12" figures. Since they do such a 1/2 @ss job at it they should quit while they are ahead.:rolleyes:

i totally agree. i just cancelled the case of figures i ordered from EE. i've already got a marmit fett and stormtrooper and could care less about another tatooine luke from hasbro.

hasbro just needs to concentrate on making stuff for kids and let a company who knows what they are doing handle the adult collectibles.
:)

gsr-jedi
07-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Anyone know how much it costs to park at the Convention Center and also how much to park at Seaport Village?

Anyone have any lists as far as autographs and shows that are supposed to be there? I found this list for the exclusive figures.
Con Exclusive figures (http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=39255&domain=figures.com&dom=fig&domain_id=4)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Anyone know how much it costs to park at the Convention Center and also how much to park at Seaport Village?
I've been trying to find that very thing out myself. The SD CC's website fails to list this. I'd have to guess no less than $15, especially with such a huge group of vistors coming there.

gsr-jedi
07-09-2004, 01:55 AM
I found out that the Convention Center parking lot should cost $10, but you've got to get there early to get a spot. Not sure of the Seaport Village cost, though that might be free with validation (possibility as I don't think SV is too far from the Con). Another option is San Diego has a trolley system of sorts, and I've heard you can park in their lots for free and ride the trolley to the Con for like $2.

JodyB
07-13-2004, 04:33 PM
it costs $8 to park at the Convention Center...

stillakid
07-13-2004, 04:40 PM
I found out that the Convention Center parking lot should cost $10, but you've got to get there early to get a spot. Not sure of the Seaport Village cost, though that might be free with validation (possibility as I don't think SV is too far from the Con). Another option is San Diego has a trolley system of sorts, and I've heard you can park in their lots for free and ride the trolley to the Con for like $2.

I discovered the parking fiasco last year. Either plan on showing up really early, or count on parking deep and paying through the nose. You get a nice walk though. :)

JodyB
07-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I think it will be a little bit better this year... The Stadium is done and there is no home games. So I think they're using it's parking lots also and it's right next to the Convention Center

El Chuxter
07-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Anyone know yet if Mattel is limiting the exclusive figures to one per person, period, again? Last year I had to choose between Batman and Keldor, which was really easy, since it was only a slight variation of the Zipline Bats vs a really cool He-Man figure I never expected to see. But this year, it's She-Ra vs Unmasked Bats, which is a much tougher decision.

Ook
07-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm goin'.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Well, I did actually make it this year. If any of you were there, here's how/where you might have seen me...

- In the Clone Wars fiction panel, I asked the question about whether the realism of the Clone Wars was making better or taking away from the fun and fantasy of SW (like in the films). I was surprised that one editor (Sue Rostoni) said she did have some concerns that the current world situations were too close to what's being written.
- In the SW Insider panel I was leaning up against the wall by the door, since I came in late.
- In the SW trivia contest, I was a LOSER every time! That's no trivia, that's a nitpicker station. :(

Aspects of the Con:
- Parking, three words: ugh. That's how bad it was, bad grammar bad. And I got there at 8:15, too. Actually, traffic wasn't as bad as it had been previously.
- Freebie lines. Four words: ugh. That's even worse than parking. I did get the poster (cool), catalog (always good), Galactic Heroes Scout Trooper (neat), and Unleashed card back (Secura, looks grest).
- Silver Trooper was okay. $11 for a figure is steep for good ol' miser Bel-Cam.
- People are really nice and open and enthusiatic. I started up multiple conversations with people I didn't even know. I even saw Tycho (cool to talk with) and the back of Sir Steve (intently listening to the action figure panel).
- Helpful hints: if you go, write stuff down (or use a PDA). I saw some great items that I didn't want to lug around all day, and then I proceeded to forget where the booth was. :bored: D'oh! Planning which panels to go see beforehand was very helpful, and knowing where the exhibit rooms were (2 hallways) was important.

All in all, glad I could find the time to go. I'll have to let my friends know when it is earlier so they can join me. Flying solo is great for moving around and finding seats, but a little lonely at times.

mastermatt24
07-24-2004, 11:34 PM
- In the Clone Wars fiction panel

- In the SW trivia contest, I was a LOSER every time! That's no trivia, that's a nitpicker station. :(

- Parking, three words: ugh. That's how bad it was, bad grammar bad. And I got there at 8:15, too. Actually, traffic wasn't as bad as it had been previously.

Tycho and I were sitting next to each other at the clone wars fiction. Too bad you didnt make the Zahn/Keys/Allston pannel.. Tycho asked a question about the future of Jacen Jaina and Ben- I think it was Sue who slipped up and said "Are you reffering to the new series?" (or something like that) and she started blushing, and the others on the pannel kinda gave her the look, and everyone started clapping. I'm not sure if she meant the slip up, or if it was truly a slip up.
Anyways... In the SW Triva I got down to the last bunch durning the third "round". I got a signed Empire comic signed by someone.. Cant make out the name.. It's a bunch of scribbles. I couldnt believe some of those questions, Like the one- Who was the actor that played the ewok that did the cartweel at the end of ROTJ? I guessed and got it right.
As for parking: RIPOFF. Someone could make a TON of money if they built a HUGE parking garage. They need it BAD. Parking is really really really bad, and I saw one lot full that was charging $25 for 9hrs....
Overall I really liked CC. I got the signatures I wanted: Allston, Anderson, Barnes, Durresma, Keys, Moesta and a few more. I also met Chewi and got his autograph on a figure
And people from SSG I met: Tycho, Sirsteve, & Plastic Fetish
Nice to meet you all! :D

stillakid
07-25-2004, 12:16 AM
I was there Thursday for about 20 minutes. :( That's what I get for having to work for a living. :ermm: Oh well. :) I managed to get my picture taken in the OTC packaging which is always a good time, and I got my Silver Sandtrooper.

What's this about a freebie Scouttrooper? :eek: I didn't hear about that or completely forgot about it by the time I got there. :cry:

plasticfetish
07-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Well, I ended up spending the day in San Diego on Friday.

I even saw Tycho (cool to talk with) and the back of Sir Steve (intently listening to the action figure panel).Hey! I was sitting next to them. I wish we'd gotten a chance to say hello.

mastermatt24 -- it was nice meeting you! Glad you got to sit in on the Hasbro panel as well. ;)

So... this was my first Comic-con, and I had a great time. It was exhausting, and I'm still tired, but we're already planning for next year. :) I'll think we'll get a room and spend a few days -- won't have to rush around to see everything and talk to everyone at once.

Parking really was a bummer, at first anyway, but we ended up at the Padres lot ($10) and then had a bike ride the few blocks to the convention center. I had my son with me, so the bike ride was fun and really scary for him at the same time.

Only ended up hitting the one panel, but I managed to wander through and talk to people at dozens of booths from dozens of companies. Asking questions, digging for info and basically pestering them a whole lot. Everyone there was extremely cool and fun to talk to. Learned some great stuff from Hasbro designer "Brian" about the process that they go through to get the toys made. Talked to Aaron from around the corner at the Transfomers table, he told me about the new live action TF movie. (He also gave my son that Playstation demo disk that he played all day today.)

I talked to reps from...

Hasbro -- about Star Wars and Transformers. NECA -- after talking with Sid Haig ("House of a 1000 corpses") about his new figure, I wandered over and looked at it (very cool, I'm gonna have to track Sid down for another autograph when I get one.) The guy at the NECA booth (maybe I'll be smart and write some names down next time) was enthusiastic about future toys from Rob Zombie's films. I asked about future Hellraiser stuff -- but he wouldn't say (I didn't think he would.) Palisades -- talked about some of their new stuff and some of their old stuff. The new "Army of Darkness" toys look great! They had a small playset with army men all over it that were fighting aliens -- real "Aliens" figures. They're doing a line of little "army men" type figures from the Alien movies and they're really cool! (I'll start a thread about this one with pictures later.) Art Asylum -- I got my two "Mirror Scotty" figures and after opening one up, I've gotta say, it's super! I asked about future stuff, but they didn't really tell (I didn't think they would.) They were cool though, had some great stuff. DC Direct - so much to look at, and all of it great. The guy at the booth and I talked about the Batman Microman figures that they had on display. He was extremely enthusiastic about them, and he should be! He said they'd be out and easy to find at a bunch of different retail locations soon. (I said, "Are you sure?" and he said, "Absolutely.") Playing Mantis -- they had some of their small "Johnny Lightning" Star Trek ships on display. They're great, and they'll be $3.99 at retail... which is more great. Got my con exclusive Doc Ock/Spidey "Flickers" ring (I dig those things) and saw what's new for release 2. Product Enterprises Ltd. -- they've got brilliant Dr. Who, Space 1999, UFO, Thunderbirds and even Red Dwarf toys. The guy at the booth was nice, and he did his best to sell me on a talking Dalek for the kid. (Why always for the kid?) Takara -- they had a bunch of their new Microman and Microlady figures on display. Great stuff! They also, to my surprise, had a convention exclusive figure for $5. Wow! (I'll put pics in the Microman thread.) They were nice, and I thanked them for over 30 years of all the best toys. ToyBiz -- found over at the Marvel booth, they had all sorts of new stuff out that looked great. (See it all in that thread.) Bandai -- they had Gundam Seed and "SD" toys out. They'll be carrying on with both, as well as the Teen Titans toys that my son was really into. Their New "Astro Boy" toys were out on display (I've already found some at retail) and they're really fun. X-Plus USA -- they had out tons of resin busts ad statues, PVC monster figures, Alien stuff (a ceramic cookie jar!?!), Predator stuff, Godzilla PVC and resin and then some new "Micronaut" toys. They had these little "Nanomen" (Kubrick style) Micronaut figures on display, there's four in all so far. I was also told that they'd be doing classic style Micronaut figures soon. (Cool!) They didn't have any pics or prototypes to show, and honestly, I'm not even sure if he was supposed to tell me, but he did. :D

There was more... Of course, but that'll have to do for here and now.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2004, 10:11 AM
I was there Thursday for about 20 minutes. :( That's what I get for having to work for a living. :ermm: Oh well. :)

What's this about a freebie Scouttrooper? :eek: I didn't hear about that or completely forgot about it by the time I got there. :cry:
It's a Galactic Heroes figure (you know, the kids line with big hands and feet). You'd have gotten it by waiting in line at the Hasbro booth (three freebies were there: a poster, an Unleashed card back, and the Trooper).

Tycho and I were sitting next to each other at the clone wars fiction. Too bad you didnt make the Zahn/Keys/Allston pannel..
Actually, I was at every SW panel except the Lucasarts one. Congrats on the scribbled comic! :p

mastermatt24
07-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Actually, I was at every SW panel except the Lucasarts one.

Wow, You are lucky. I thought the Lucasarts Panel was the worst of ALL the SW pannels, and a complete waste of time. If you saw the thing on Saturday with Sansweet, you did not miss a thing. All that pannel (Lucas Arts) was nothing but previews, and they showed them all again at Sansweets thing... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OC47150
07-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Mastermatt,

Did you pick up any of the Heritage P3 cards?

gsr-jedi
07-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Here's some of the pics I took (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286114673)

I met Tycho, SirSteve, and PlasticFetish at the Hasbro Q&A. :)

mastermatt24
07-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Mastermatt,

Did you pick up any of the Heritage P3 cards?

Yes I did.

El Chuxter
07-27-2004, 03:01 PM
I was at the Hasbro Q&A and saw Tycho and two other folks in SSG shirts. (I wonder who they might've been? Hmmmm. That's a puzzler. :D) After the forum, I was waiting on a friend of mine, and didn't get a chance to say howdy. :(

I missed a lot of the other SW panels, since I had two days to go around and do stuff, and I knew I wanted to see the Incredibles panel.

OC47150
07-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Check your PM, MasterMatt.

gsr-jedi
08-02-2004, 01:22 AM
I somehow missed the Heritage card. I saw the Topps guy at the Star Wars pavillion, but he handed me a LOTR card.

I finally got around to getting all my pics re-sized. There are quite a few, so 56k beware.

Click here for all the pics (http://www.knowingisha-lfthebattle.com/sdcc2k4.htm)

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Man! You had a gooood time. That's great that you got all of that stuff signed. I was so unprepared for autographs, but next time...

It was nice meeting you BTW. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Have you ever seen this much attention and coverage of a Comic-Con before? There've been USA Today articles, TV news coverage, even mocked on VH1's "Best Week Ever." Great!

mastermatt24
08-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Man! You had a gooood time. That's great that you got all of that stuff signed. I was so unprepared for autographs, but next time...

It was nice meeting you BTW. :)

Who did you meet?

plasticfetish
08-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Besides you? :) I got to say hey to gsr-jedi also. (He posted right before me there.)

mastermatt24
08-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Hey did anyone that went to the fan film awards notice daniel logan's speech problem (the lisp)? I thought that was just part of the act in AOTC. The "Dad Taun Wes here" line. I almost started laughing when he started to talk.. :crazed: I would've thought that he would've grown out of it by now, hes really big.