View Full Version : The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

darthzirock
04-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Movie News
Malkovich thumbs a ride on GUIDE
Dateline: Friday, April 16, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL, News Editor
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Actor John Malkovich has joined the cast of THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY movie. Unlike the earlier casting announcements, Malkovich is playing a character not seen in Douglas Adams' novel but one created for the film (at the instruction of the novelist himself.) The character's name is Humma Kavula and he is described as being a religious cult leader.

Filming on the long awaited GUIDE starts this month in London, with Martin Freeman, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel and Sam Rockwell starring as Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Trillian and Zaphod Beeblebrox, respectively.

Hmmm, a non-book character created for the film by the novelist himself, prior to his untimely death? Wow ... that's so freakish it has to be true! :crazed:

Rogue II
04-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Wow, a HGTTG movie? I read those books a looooong time ago, so I don't remember all the details...or much of the basic plot for that matter. I'll have to see this one.

Exhaust Port
04-16-2004, 06:40 PM
The TV show is available on DVD and I still find it entertaining, albeit dated with the special FX.

Pendo
04-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Yup :D. I kinda like it too :). Must pick it up on DVD some day...

Looking forward to the movie :).

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
04-16-2004, 08:00 PM
I watched the DVD this last summer and I remember thinking that Hitchhikers would do well as a movie or new mini-series. I too will be looking forward to this movie.

Don't Panic!

JediTricks
04-17-2004, 03:28 AM
First off, I'm glad to see Jim Carrey's name off this project, he would have RUINED it. I thought that was already set in stone though.

Secondly, who the hell cast Mos Def as Ford Prefect?!? I'm sorry, but Mos Def may have some interesting and diverse work under his belt, but he's totally the wrong note for such a critical character. I wish I could put into words how bad this casting decision sounds to me, but it's just flabberghasting. I just picture his acting, the style with which he behaves on-screen in stuff and it feels so damn wrong.

Mos Def as Ford is almost as ridiculous as Warwick "Wicket" Davis as Marvin the paranoid andr... oh. :bored:

arctangent
04-19-2004, 11:15 AM
The TV show is available on DVD and I still find it entertaining, albeit dated with the special FX.

hey, we are talking early 80's bbc tv here - wobbly sets and crap anamatronics that cost a fortune at the time. i always liked the bits from the guide itself though. i always thought the radio version was better - you didn't need wobbly sets and crap anamatronics for that :rolleyes:

i believe douglas adams did write a screenplay version of hitch hikers guide before he died so its true about the new character. adams despaired of ever getting a movie version made though, so its a shame he didn't live to see it happen. as long as they stick to his script and don't try and 'go hollywood' with it it should be good.

Exhaust Port
04-19-2004, 01:47 PM
i always liked the bits from the guide itself though.
The guide segments were always my favorite as well. Those still look good even with the advances we've had in Special FX

El Chuxter
04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
I personally hated the BBC production, but one of the best bits was a Guide interlude describing the people (I forget who they were, yeah, blasphemy, I know) who would be the first against the wall when the rebellion came, and one of the pictures was of Douglas Adams!

El Chuxter
07-26-2004, 12:17 PM
I'm surprised no one jumped on this, since it happened Friday, but Disney unveiled the first teaser trailer at the Incredibles discussion at SDCC.

A brief description from what I recall:

Earth, hanging in space. Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World." Immediately after he sings the title line, the earth explodes. The music changes, and the following lines appear in sequence:
"When the world ends
Remember one thing:
DON'T PANIC!"

The stars then form into a thumb within a circle, and it ends with a "Summer 2005" date.

Then they gave us cool Incredibles stuff and a towel that says "Don't panic!" :cool:

Dr Zoltar
07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Then they gave us cool Incredibles stuff and a towel that says "Don't panic!" :cool:
What a cool give away! I would have loved to get one of those towels.

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 01:15 AM
That towel is a must-have!!! That's awesome.

Exhaust Port
07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
The first HGTTG teaser trailer:

http://hitchhikermovie.free.fr/pages/trailerdownload.html

2-1B
02-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Wasn't Dave "David Prowse is (even though he didn't do the voice, the unmasking, or many of the cool fight scenes) Vader" Prowse in the original series ?

If Zooey Deschanel is in the film version . . . I'm there. ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-18-2005, 04:36 PM
The official trailer is here: http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/trailers/index.html

I just got done reading book 1 and currently getting into "Restaurant at the end of the universe" but i REALLY liked the trailer. I think Mos Def is a fine choice for Ford and what's wrong with Warick as Marvin? He looks almost as i'd picture him. I just wish we could've heard his voice, which is done by Alan Rickman. We also get a look at the Heart of Gold, Zaphods 2nd head and 3rd arm, the Vogons, and the celebration around Deep Thought. Not to mention the special character Adams wrote in played by Malkovich. I can't wait for this flick!!!

Anyway, enjoy the the trailer..cos I did. :D

El Chuxter
02-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I just saw the first preview (albeit without sound). Dayum!!! That was so incredibly cool, I had to kick my mom in the shins!!

Marvin's not quite how I pictured him, nor did I imagine Zaphod's second head to be attached the way it is, but I cannot wait.

hango fett
02-23-2005, 03:56 PM
looks great. i never read the books, but the trailer looks terrific. may 6th is when it hits thearters, right?
HF

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-25-2005, 10:29 AM
HF- no, it's been moved to april 29th.

Chux- I love the idea of Marvin and figured that's how he'd look. The one from the BBC version doesn't do it for me (i've only seen pics), but i can't wait to hear Marvin saying, "Life...oh God, don't talk to me about life."

There is another trailer that was shown at the Wondercon last week and has been getting AMAZING reviews. Here is a blip from AICN about it:

"Greeting from another S.F. WonderCon attendee!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but another Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trailer debuted at WonderCon last Saturday.

It was basically Stephen Fry (as the book) narrating what the Hitchhiker's Guide had to say about movie trailers. It listed the elements that a good trailer should include such as explosions (several stock footage of explosions are shown), beautiful women (stock footage of a woman in a bikini), and an announcer that sounded as if he'd been smoking cigarettes (Stephen Fry's voice changes to a much more traditional and deeper voice). It then when on to include lots of new footage including footage of a very dejected Marvin whose voice (Alan Rickman) we actually hear in this trailer. I only saw it once and I was laughing so hard that It's hard to recollect more of the specifics.

I walked in on the panel at the very end, so all I caught was the trailer and a brief Q&A session. The paddles, which whack our heroes in the face at the end of the second trailer, were explained in the Q&A session as being the driving evolutionary force for the Vogon's upturned noses"

Rumor on the wire is that this new trailer will pop up within the next few weeks. I can't wait to hear Alan's voice as Marvin! woohoo!! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-26-2005, 01:20 AM
The BONUS internet trailer is up and it is AWESOME.

http://video.ugo.com/player.aspx?articleID=13939&ref=ts

Youl'l have to wtch a 30 second commercial, but the trailer follows it. I LOVE Rickman's voice as Marvin, it's perfect! Check it out and enjoy!! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Maxim has a clip from the film and this certain clip deals with a certain poor fortuned whale...

http://maximonline.com/entertainment/features/hitchhiker/

I laughed my a-- off. I've watched it about 9 times already. NOthing on the petunias though, though i'm guessing they'll be in the film. this was probably just a special clip for the site. great stuff though. and i LOVE how the whale has a British accent. I can't wait for this flick. :D

Exhaust Port
04-15-2005, 10:23 PM
The BONUS internet trailer is up and it is AWESOME.

http://video.ugo.com/player.aspx?articleID=13939&ref=ts

Youl'l have to wtch a 30 second commercial, but the trailer follows it. I LOVE Rickman's voice as Marvin, it's perfect! Check it out and enjoy!! :D

When I watched this one it didn't have a commerical before it but it did have a "Behind the Bot" or something which was a interview with Anthony Daniels and being C3PO for Revenge of the Sith. The full scale (or near full scale) X-wing seen behind him was awesome.

Ok, the SW videos are still continuing. After the Anthony Daniels bit there's a "Behind the Scenes" for the big M&M SW candy release. Very cool stuff.

Exhaust Port
04-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Maxim has a clip from the film and this certain clip deals with a certain poor fortuned whale...

http://maximonline.com/entertainment/features/hitchhiker/

I laughed my a-- off. I've watched it about 9 times already. NOthing on the petunias though, though i'm guessing they'll be in the film. this was probably just a special clip for the site. great stuff though. and i LOVE how the whale has a British accent. I can't wait for this flick. :D

Oh and BTW JMG, thanks for the clips, they were hysterical. The whale bit is great as is "The Guides" definition of what a movie trailer is. :D

General_Grievous
04-30-2005, 08:56 PM
I just saw this movie today. I have to say, I was disappointed. I wasn't really expecting anything that great when I went in, anyway. None of the people I was there with seemed to enjoy it much, either. When the singing dolphins showed up, I was lost. I was, as many people in the theater were, lost from that point on. "So long and thanks for the fish"??? What the hell? Then there was the damn towel thing, which I didn't get...at all. Sorry, fanboys. I know it's the trademark of this whole franchise, but I just don't understand it. A few more bones to pick... What was up with everybody? They all looked so out of it. I didn't feel for any of the characters. Zapod whatever his name is was a prime example of the word "over-acting". The only character I remotely enjoyed was Marvin, and it was definitely because he was voiced by Alan Rickman. But there was also a huge plot hole. That religious leader guy Hunna Kaballah whatshisface wanted them to go get that gun for him. They did...and they never brought it back....and he didn't even bother to look for them...huh??

Anyway, my final verdict was that I thought it was like an unfunny "Monty Python-meets-The Dark Crystal-meets-Star Trek on amphetamines". You can agree or disagree, it's just my two cents.

James Boba Fettfield
04-30-2005, 09:21 PM
I believe it was Ebert's review that said people who have read the work this is based on would enjoy this movie.

But those who are not familiar with the world of the books, one of the following will happen:

1. You will become intrigued by its whimsical and quirky sense of humor, understand that a familiarity with the books is necessary, read one of more of the Hitchhiker books, return to the movie, appreciate it more, and eventually be absorbed into the legion of Adams admirers.

2. You will find the movie tiresomely twee, and notice that it obviously thinks it is being funny at times when you do not have the slightest clue why that should be. You will sense a certain desperation as actors try to sustain a tone that belongs on the page and not on the screen. And you will hear dialogue that preserves the content of written humor at the cost of sounding as if the characters are holding a Douglas Adams reading.

Slicker
04-30-2005, 09:31 PM
I went and saw this this afternoon without ever having read any of the books. I must say that it was a pretty decent movie. I'm sure that if I'd read the books a)I would have grasped it alot better and b)I probably would've been pi**ed off because they crammed like 5 books or something into a 2 hour movie.

Ji'dai
04-30-2005, 11:24 PM
That's what I was wondering - if the movie was based on the first book or all of them. I know Douglas Adams died while working on the script so I was wondering how faithful the adaptation was to his books.

I really loved the Hitchhiker series. If you read them, don't bother with "Salmon of Doubt." Although billed as a the last Hitchhiker's book, it's a compilation of Adams other work - speeches, magazine articles, and an unfinished Dirk Gently story. Hoo, if you want to read something strange, check out Adam's two Dirk Gently novels -"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul."

Slicker
04-30-2005, 11:26 PM
My roommate read the books (I've never read them) and he said that it had elements from all of the books in it in some form or another.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-01-2005, 12:20 AM
I just got back from this flick and i must say that i loved it. I've read the first two books and the flick doesn't go much into the second or even the first for that matter. Adams said that when he wrote the screenplay for the flick, he added a lot more in to make it into a fuller film. Basically once the gang is aboard the Heart of Gold, and embarks to Magthrea (not spelled right, sorry), it's when Adams starts changing things, such as the romantic angle, the story with Hamma and so on. It has the basic elements of the first book and it ends on a much more definite note than the novel did. It even gives a nod to a sequel. I will say this: the Vogons are MUCH more of a prescence in the flick and if we needed to say that the flick needed a villian, they are DEFINATELY it. The reviews i read said that Sam Rockwell was DEAD ON as Zaphod and they were more than correct. He OWNED this role. He was part rockstar, part incompetant president (hee!), and more arrogant and crazy than i could've imagined. Marvin was fantastic and Alan Rickman's lines were spot on. Great movie!!! My buddy and his lady friend who haven't even seen teh books both enjoyed it too. and something about that poor whale screaming in a british accent makes me giggle everytime i think about it.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!" will be in my head for days. cheers! :D

2-1B
05-01-2005, 01:11 AM
James I don't fit into either of those categories. :D

I went in to the movie without any knowledge of the books and I loved it . . . but I'm not going to go and read the books now. :crazed:

Cool movie, Marvin was GREAT and for some reason right now the funniest thing in my head is Ford closing that gate and the Vogons being unable to come through it. :crazed:

Oh yeah, and I shouldn't forget to mention Vogon Poetry. :crazed:

El Chuxter
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but please tell me that Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged makes an appearance. He is the funniest thing ever thought up.

2-1B
05-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Who ? :confused:

(sorry Chux, I guess that means it's not looking good for you. :D)

No, seriously, who ? :confused:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Wowbagger is one of the beings in the Universe who is immortal. He grew tired, bored, and listless and decided he would get back at the Universe: by insulting it. So, basically, he flies around the galaxy and insults people whom his computer picks, and then flies off again. And sadly, he's not in the flick, Chux. We can only hope that in future sequels he can will make an appearance. :D

2-1B
05-05-2005, 02:44 AM
"Vogon poetry is, without a doubt, the third worst poetry in the known galaxy. The second worst poetry is that of the Azgoths of Kria. During a recitation by their poet master Grunthos the Flatulent, entitled Ode to a Small Piece of Green Putty I Found In My Armpit One Midsummer Morning, four of his audience died of internal haemorrhaging and the President of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobblng Council only survived by gnawing one of his own legs off. The very worst poetry in the galaxy was written by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Greenbridge, Essex, England and was thankfully destroyed when the Earth was."

lol lol lol lol lol

MaquisWarrior
05-14-2005, 01:19 AM
I thought it was BORING!! The books were funny, the bits and pieces played on Dr Demento's show were funny. The mini series version that comes out sometimes on PBS, SCI-FI, and BBC America was funny! This piece of crap was not. I liked Mos Def as the new Ford Prefect! The new Marvin was cool too!

MaquisWarrior
05-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Actually I was going to comment your signature post about the women in Univision. So you like them tall, lanky, skinny, large nosed, big motuhed, large teeth, older, bob hairdo-ed, with big feet, huh? I knew someone who hosted some local show there and that was all I saw! I'll bet if Underdog was there he'd be a large mack daddy 'cause that's the way he likes them too!:D
:mad:
What that wasn't a personal slam vs. Exhaust Port; it was against Channel 34,22,62,33 here in LA who enjoyed the HHGTG movie! Sheesh!

2-1B
03-26-2006, 01:12 AM
I just recently watched the BBC version on Netflix and oh boy, was that painful. Some aspects were decent but overall I did not care much for it.

El Chuxter
03-26-2006, 12:22 PM
The best part is Douglas Adams' picture used as one of the, uh, whoever was up against the wall first when the revolution came.

The rest of it sucked almost as much as Slicker's mom.

JimJamBonds
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
The best part is Douglas Adams' picture used as one of the, uh, whoever was up against the wall first when the revolution came.

The rest of it sucked almost as much as Slicker's mom.

So thats a good think right?