PDA

View Full Version : Medstar II? (Commentary on future of SW EU)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2004, 08:39 AM
So I see the link to a new Clone Wars novel here at SSG; cool. But when I check it out, the title is Medstar II: Jedi Healer. Why am I concerned? Because I never heard of Medstar I, that's why. (BTW, that one is subtitled Battle Surgeons)

Will this be how the SW Expanded Universe goes, like Star Trek? Without current films, authors just write about anything and everything? And we the readers will just have to hope the quality remains good, as the number of stories goes up and up? (For those that collect the figures, there's a similarity, as many have lamented the periods of no products, then too many shoddy ones, then some that didn't even need to have been made, etc.) I guess one of the things I've always liked about SW EU is its relative smallness. Not too much out there, for the most part. And over a 25 year period, that's pretty good.

Am I overreacting? Have I exposed the Lucas Books conspiracy? Why do birds, suddenly appear, every time, you are near? :rolleyes: Comments?

El Chuxter
04-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I've thought about this, too. There've been EU stories with no-name characters before, but I can't think of too many novels in this vein. I think the Medstar series deals with Luminara and Bariss, but I'm not entirely sure. In any case, who are they to warrant their own books? They have no super speed nor do they have a ladykillin' grin.

What worries me more about EU after E3 is that Lucas will say, "Okay, don't contradict the movies. Otherwise, all rules are out," opening the floodgates for tons and tons of junk. We already know way too much about throwaway lines like "Many Bothans died" and "They must've heard about my little maneuver at the Battle of Tanaab." Now, will every second of our heroes' lives be documented?

Oh, and as for the birds thing, I thought you knew. I am the Birdmaster!

InsaneJediGirl
04-29-2004, 11:27 PM
I can see the point on whats happening with the books and what direction their taking.I think this Clone Wars novel deals more with the Clone Wars and not some "Bothans Died so lets write about it" type of deal.

However,I'm looking forward to Medstar I&II.If it is anything as gore-filled and discriptive as Shatterpoint especially.Besides,who knows,it might turn out as the Star Wars verison of MASH.

[DSS]Pedr0
04-29-2004, 11:46 PM
I think the Medstar series deals with Luminara and Bariss, but I'm not entirely sure. In any case, who are they to warrant their own books? They have no super speed nor do they have a ladykillin' grin.
They were first introduced in "The Approaching Storm" then brought to life in AoTC. Clone Wars Cartoon continued their story now these books will enlighten us further on EU based characters like Aayla Secura was.

El Chuxter
04-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Pedr0']They were first introduced in "The Approaching Storm" then brought to life in AoTC. Clone Wars Cartoon continued their story now these books will enlighten us further on EU based characters like Aayla Secura was.

Actually, it was sorta a joke about another character who should have his own novel, detailing the daring exploits of his ladykillin' grin. :D

[DSS]Pedr0
04-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Actually, it was sorta a joke about another character who should have his own novel, detailing the daring exploits of his ladykillin' grin. :D
Kit's alright I guess.