PDA

View Full Version : Songs you really can't listen to

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2004, 09:04 AM
This is similar to the Comic Boy Guy-inspired "Worst Song Ever" thread. There must be some songs out there, for whatever reason, you have a hard time listening to. They might not be the "worst," but in my case, the songs are fine, it's the emotional connection to them that makes them hard to keep on the radio. I do know how to eliminate the emotional ties; I took a junior college psychology class. :rolleyes: You just listen to them over
and over

and over

and over

and over again, until the link has faded. But I'm not there yet, I guess.

My mini list:

"Fast Car," Tracy Chapman
I don't dislike the tune, but it's so dang depressing. I cannot drive if I can't turn this one off. :cry:

"Cherish," Kool & the Gang
It's an old one, probably from '84 or so. I just have too many memories associated with this one that I haven't yet come to grips with. Besides it's a relaxing one and I DON'T NEED TO RELAX! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! I... I DON'T... Uh. Sorry. Kidding... :eek: :rolleyes: ... seriously, it's just tough.

"Jumper," Third Eye Blind
"Adam's Song," Blink 182
The theme of these two is the reason why.

"You've Got a Friend," James Taylor
Here's a REAL old school one. I don't know why, but for some reason this song is connected to an English class assignment from high school. It always makes me sad (maybe I got an F on it or something). Another calm, slow song.

Anything by Tool, but especially "Schism"
Ugh. Sorry, they just bug me. Too dull, too repetitive. A Perfect Circle is their clone, IMO, too, so their work gets jumbled in with them.

Any others?

evenflow
04-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Well I can't listen to anything from Celine Dion, her voice just penetrates me and makes me want to cringe and vomit.

Exhaust Port
04-18-2004, 10:20 AM
A Perfect Circle is their clone, IMO, too, so their work gets jumbled in with them.
The lead singer for Tool is also the lead singer and lyric writer for APC which is why they sound so similar. Also their composer, guitarist and secondary singer was a sound tech for Tool on tour.

Kidhuman
04-18-2004, 10:57 AM
There are many a song Ican not listen too.

ANy COuntry music song.

Cotton Eyed Joe

Anyhthing by Celine Dion, Barbara Striesand, Bette Midler, Rod Stewart, J-Lo, anda few others that escape me right now.

That P. Diddy song that Jimmy Page gave him the rights to. As a matter of fact, anything by P. Diddy.

I will add to the list later.

Rocketboy
04-18-2004, 04:28 PM
My answer - 90% of what's on the radio.

Exhaust Port
04-18-2004, 10:01 PM
One song that really annoyed me was that Kid Rock song that was basically a rip off of Lynard Skynard. The man takes up the Southern Rock banner then proceeds to copy (very, very closely) the most popular Southern rock band out there. Rather than come up with something original he borrows/copies almost directly from LS. I could almost hear him thinking to himself "I need a Southern rock ballad like LS's Freebird but to insure that it'll be successful I'll do what they did." Everything from the arrangement, sound, instruments and vocals made it sound like a LS B-Side.

It's one thing to claim inspiration from a band, it's another to ride their coattails.

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2004, 11:44 PM
My answer - 90% of what's on the radio.
85% depending on the station :p

darthvyn
04-19-2004, 12:14 AM
pink floyd and radiohead - bands an ex-girlfriend liked...

2-1B
04-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Metallica - No Leaf Clover. Good band, I like them, but before S&M came out I heard this song as a single all the time and I have always hated it. I still can't play it on the CD - it's just wretched. Disappointing from such a great band.
I thought I Disappear was bad but it's genius compared to this song.

Maroon 5 - This Life. It's the current song they have out there and I hear it often at work. I've hated it since the first time I heard it. Terrible.

CaptainSolo1138
04-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Maroon 5 - This Life. It's the current song they have out there and I hear it often at work. I've hated it since the first time I heard it. Terrible.
Ugh...I almost forgot about that turd :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
04-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Mambo #5, horrid :beard:

sith_killer_99
04-19-2004, 12:18 PM
"Cherish," Kool & the Gang
It's an old one, probably from '84 or so. I just have too many memories associated with this one that I haven't yet come to grips with. Besides it's a relaxing one and I DON'T NEED TO RELAX! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! I... I DON'T... Uh. Sorry. Kidding... ... seriously, it's just tough.

Uhh, that's just a little too touchy feely for me. :crazed:

Anyway, songs I really can't listen too include anything by Britanny Spears, Christina Aguilara, Justin Timberlake or any other former Mouse-kateer (sp)

M-I-C...see ya real soon!

K-E-Y...why because I want to see you get your head smashed in with a....

Ooops, where was I? Oh yeah, M-O-U-S-E...good bye! :Pirate:

arctangent
04-20-2004, 03:31 AM
i can't listen to ANYTHING by van morrison, especially brown eyed girl. so over rated imo, he just really grates on my nerves :mad:

IMFETTUP
04-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Anything Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and Pink. Oh ya, Avril Levine (sp?) as well. Although the first two have awesome voices, the second two have far surpassed their 15 minutes of fame...IMO.:D

Tom Araya
04-20-2004, 09:22 AM
LOL....boy oh boy...that friggin' Maroon 5 song. Ya HAAAAAAAAD to bring that up, didn't ya? Now I have to punch myself in fury several times in the leg. Thanks. :Ogre:

I have lots of problems with lots of bands. The only recent thing I've bought is the Audioslave CD (because Cornell is the $h*!) and the SLAYER boxset, of course :classic: .

Anyway, all this "bubblegum-punky-sissy rock" like Jet, the Strokes, Blink 18Poo, those fairies from MTV..what's their name? Good Charlotte? *Eck*:dead:...drives me crazy. Rap? Jeeez...Missy Fattiot, P. Stupid, Jayz...the list goes on and on. I tried to like Evananavenessencaese, she's got an ok voice, but ironically enough, it's the voice that made me hate them. "I'm fat and depressed" rock like Staind just needs to go away.

and the song of the month?

The Darkness:
"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" (Just listen to the rhythm of a shotgun blowing your head off) :beard:

scruffziller
04-20-2004, 10:16 AM
ANY COUNTRY SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for one.........

Anything by Bette Midler. They try drilling it into my head at WM all night long.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHH:eek:

That one old school song that was featured in Dirty Dancing ......I think... where it goes.

Baby.......my sweet baby.....your the one.......

I can't even look at myself typing the lyrics it makes me cringe so.

JEDIpartner
04-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Anything by Britney Spears! Aside from having just about everyone in her mouth at one point or another, it sounds as though a leprichaun crawled down in there and died. Stupid talentless, ugly thing she is.

Kidhuman
04-20-2004, 04:39 PM
The Darkness:
"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" (Just listen to the rhythm of a shotgun blowing your head off) :beard:

I hate that song with a passion. That guy irritates the bejeezus out of me.

And brand spankin new to the forums and using :beard: properly. You got a future here my friend. :beard:

Tom Araya
04-20-2004, 07:53 PM
And brand spankin new to the forums and using :beard: properly. You got a future here my friend. :beard:

LOL...sweet! I had a good teacher....

...one who's name is only a crooked plaque on the dusty, cob-webbed walls of SSG's Hall of Old-Timers....:dis:

...only a whisper in the gentle wind of days gone by.......:dis:

....a long-lost spirit nestled in the soothing comfor......:dis:

HEY, WHO JUST THREW A POO BALLOON!? :eek: lol :crazed: lol :crazed:

BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! :beard:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggg!! :Pirate:

AY, YO ADRIAN!! :rambo:

Hellboy
04-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Eric Clapton: "Tears in Heaven". It was played during my father's funeral and to this day I can't listen to it without having that memory surface.

R.E.M.: "Everybody Hurts". This song came out at a time when I had a rather emotional breakup with a past girlfriend. It was long enough ago that I don't have feelings for her anymore but the song takes me back to a difficult time in my life that I'd rather forget.

James Boba Fettfield
04-21-2004, 09:53 PM
HEY, WHO JUST THREW A POO BALLOON!? :eek: lol :crazed: lol :crazed:

Sounds like you had Emperor Howdy for a teacher.

Tom Araya
04-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Sounds like you had Emperor Howdy for a teacher.

Who? :confused:

Emperor Howdy
04-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Who? :confused:

Pay them no mind, Tom. :nerv:

Kidhuman
04-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Welcome home Howdy.

Speaking of Howdy, remember the songby Twisted Sister, Captain Howdy?

IMFETTUP
04-22-2004, 08:15 AM
Does the Barney song count? My three year old likes to sing this song as well as the Dora song. I usually end up popping a XANAX before all is said and done.:stupid: The other song that comes to mind is that song "In the jungle, the mighty jungle..." Not sure who sings it though.

mabudonicus
04-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Edit- that "jungle" song is by the Nylons... the name says it all

I remember that song... it said to stay away from Captain Howdy... but since that's a song I can listen to I shouldn't be mentioning it in this thread

That new song "I hate everything about you" is really awful, I will change the station for it

and the old ugly kid joe song of the same name is too silly to actually listen to

"drops of jupiter" by train... ugh, jedielf used to dig that, I had to leave and go for a bikeride to accomodate that pos

And honestly I can't sit through anything by the doors or the Tragically hip, too much style and almost zero substance (f'rinstance the part in LA woman where morrison sounds like he's chained to a merry-go-round that is going way too fast is embarrassing to me as a human, and after the 8th "mr mojo rising" it becomes pretty clear that the guy believed his own hype... ugh)
:beard:

scruffziller
05-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Pay them no mind, Tom. :nerv:
Whoah!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Long time no see Howdy!!!

CaptainSolo1138
05-02-2004, 01:52 PM
And honestly I can't sit through anything by the doors or the Tragically hip, too much style and almost zero substance (f'rinstance the part in LA woman where morrison sounds like he's chained to a merry-go-round that is going way too fast is embarrassing to me as a human, and after the 8th "mr mojo rising" it becomes pretty clear that the guy believed his own hype... ugh)
:beard:
Oh, man! "L.A. Woman" is one of my favorite songs by the Doors! And I guess I don't understand the "style vs. substance" argument. The Doors were deemed "bad boys", but that wasn't the image they normally presented (though people always argue the same isolated occurances to the contrary). When I think of style vs. substance in the 60's, my mind automatically goes to the Beach Boys. They presented an image, made a million songs about the same topics (girls, surfing, cars), and, while in retrospect mildly innovative, were frankly not that good.

I'm not coming at anyone in "attack mode", I just wanted to throw in my two cents! :D

tagmac
05-02-2004, 04:24 PM
- Anything by N'Stink, Justin Timberfake, Nick Latch-key & Jessica "dumb as a post" Simpson, and any other tenny-bopper band/singer out there

- Country music

- any "feminist anthem" (ex. "I feel Like a Woman" - Shania Twain)

- Gangsta' Rap....worst garbage on the radio, and most overplayed

- anything by the Beastie Wimps

- anything by Metallica since Lars insulted the fans over Napster, and the band went alternative. The 80's/early 90's stuff is still listenable, though.

- 60's-70's hippie music on the oldies stations - bring back the quality music of the 50's!

- anything by Whitney Houston

- "New age" music

- Anything by Michael Jackson after the "Bad" album

mabudonicus
05-03-2004, 09:57 AM
CapSolo1138- this is also not an attack, just want to clarify what I meant...

See, musically, the Doors weren't doing anything that hadn't been done before, Jim Morrison's "tortured genius" was the main attraction, it would seem... his voice is terrible, and whether you like it or not it doesn't take away from the fact that the guys' wavering, lurching stylings were not an indication of any sort of unique skill-set;
In my mind, "music" as a word is often misapplied when speaking of the pop culture....

In MY mind anyone doing something that just about anyone could do really isn't that impressive, thus with the Doors (and I'm going on technique and the more mathematical side of music now) it's more about the style; the substance of it was pretty weak... AGAIN, not trying to tell anyone what to like, but simply because you like it doesn't make it genius...... :beard:??

Back on topic "Rhiannon", or pretty much anything by Fleetwood Mac makes me cringe....

ANYTHING by Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel (genius aside :D) too self-important and stern, most of it

And ANY cover of ANY Peter Frampton song, the originals were more than enough "exploration", slapping a phony reggae beat onto them doesn't make them any better :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
05-04-2004, 09:20 PM
AGAIN, not trying to tell anyone what to like, but simply because you like it doesn't make it genius...... :beard:??

Fair enough. That's what opinions are for! :D

arctangent
05-05-2004, 03:45 AM
- anything by Metallica since Lars insulted the fans over Napster, and the band went alternative. The 80's/early 90's stuff is still listenable, though.

metallica have made some good music since then imo. load and reload suffered from 'use your illusion syndrome' - you would have got one decent album if you had put them together.

anything by Whitney Houston

true. very true. she should visit warblers anonymous!

Anything by Michael Jackson after the "Bad" album

that would have been a more accurate statement if you hadn't added 'after the bad album' to that sentence lol !

Kidhuman
05-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Anything by Missy"Misdemeanor" Elliot. SHe annoys me so much.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Two Metallica songs, classics I know, are hard for me to keep on the radio: "Unforgiven" and "One." First one's for the depressing video and the second one for its source. Both are sad, and I don't need any more sad songs. Most songs by Nine Inch Nails are ughs, too.

InsaneJediGirl
06-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Pretty much any "pop" music.I cannot stand rap or anything remotely similar.(I.E. Linkin Parks rock/rap type thing)

That song by Maroon 5..UH.Someone get their life overwith.Ditto for "100 Years" its just as stupid.

LusiferSam
06-11-2004, 09:17 PM
I hate county ("hot" county, county-westen, gospel county, etc.) It all sounds the same. If I didn't know better I'd say there was three male singers and two females singers in the business.

Rap. A bunch of no talent criminals.

"Bubble gum pop" or "Corporate rock." This is what's wrong with the music industry. A bunch of suits in rooms deciding what's popular.

A large number a artists you guys mentioned I can't (or don't) listen to. As for specific songs I can't any off hand.