PDA

View Full Version : Making Jabba's Palace

Bothan187
12-13-2001, 10:18 PM
I'm downsizing my collection to a few dioramas, and this is going to be my first one. I would like to know any tips you may have for materails or where to find good pictures of different details of jabba's palace. If anyone has links, pictures, or anything to help that would be awesome. I am a talented artist and really think that I can make this turn out well. If possible, I may even try to make more of these and sell them to fans at a fair cost. SO, please HELP ME WITH IDEAS and perhaps others who are wanting to do the same. Thanks everyone!
Kyle

Wolfwood319
12-13-2001, 10:34 PM
Over at thebothanspy.com AmShak has made a very impressive Jabba's Palace dio. Lots of pics, and gives you a good idea of what it looks like.

Also, the Star Wars Technical Journal has blueprints for Jabba's Throne room and such.

Jargo
12-16-2001, 06:37 PM
Bothan187, go to www.alderaanonline because they have the best section of pics of Jabba's palace this side of T-Bone fenders collection of out takes and behind the scenes pictures. Although T-Bones site is too waren like for me. I got hundreds of pics from alderaanonline so I could do a diorama myself. I found loads of details that I'd never noticed before. Things like all the tables and decorations around the arches etc. You'll also get a better feel for how things fit with each other if you ignore the SE pictures and concentrate on the original version. They tweaked the set for the SE and it doesn't fit quite right with the vintage version somehow.

Materials, I'd start with a plywood base if you think you'll use plaster as a finish on the walls. All the water you use to mix the plaster will bend and warp a card base. Try using wall filler instead of plaster. the stuff you use to fill in cracks in plaster when you don't need to plaster. We have one called POLYFILLA in the UK made by POLYCELL. But it's expensive so go for a cheaper equivelent. Use foan core for building the basic walls of the place and then fill and shape with Styrofome packing material. It doesn't have to be perfect in the building because if you finish the walls with filler it'll get smoothed over.

If you want to make the curves of the arches out of card, try using corrugated card packing wrap. The finer you get it the tougher it'll be to withstand any knocks. this stuff bends really well and though it only bends one way it adds lightweight strength to your structure. It's very useful for getting the curve of Jabba's throne archway which is large and low and need a lot of roof so using this corrugated stuff means less headache.

I've used this method of building succesfully on some tatooine buildings for my displays and though I've yet to tackle Jabba's palace I've put years into thinking it through and found this to be the most effective way of replicating the style of the movies that also fits with the figures. Don't try to get every detail in and make something movie perfect, think Hasbro and compromise a few details here and there. Believe me it'll look much better for it. I'll try to post a pic of my models to show you what can be done with the simplest of materials. :)

Bothan187
12-18-2001, 03:24 AM
Thank you both for the tips. You have gotten me off to a good start. I really look forward to making these dioramas, but space is an issue for my current standings. I hope someday to have many scenes, and one that EJ's picture kind of set fire to in my mind is one of alderaan. That would be awesome to do one of just the city. Nice piece EJ. Thanks again!
Kyle

El Chuxter
12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I thought the topic said "Making it in Jabba's Palace." My bad.

Rogue II
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, there was that time that Dengar & Bossk met up with....oh nevermind.