PDA

View Full Version : Online prices TOO high

Darth Alex
04-19-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm not trying to get banned from the SSG forums, so excuse me for biting the hand that feeds:dis: . I just read the new online/weekly newsletter for Bryans and hey, GREAT, way to go on that GOT IT IN FIRST job with the Carkoon 4-pack and the Ultra Ewok.
But as a member of this community, I think we've reached a sick,sick point.
$39.99 for any TRU 4-pack is nuts. The excuse of "we get em from Hong Kong, so they cost more" is junk. The prices rarely go down significantly and people who buy are just being knowingly exploitated in the pocketbook.
The Ultra Ewok for $29.99??? Why would I even buy one at that price?
I've had it folks. You can't get the toys in the stores, so you either pay stupidly inflated prices like these or you order cases. Ordering cases is not why I got into this hobby.
Even their Red Arc trooper is 5 TIMES the cost of one at retail.
How'd things get this BAD for this hobby:bored: ?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2004, 05:28 PM
It seems that Brian's Toys always jacks up their prices, especially on new stuff. There are several other online stores with Star Wars things for sale, and while they may not always have new stuff, the selectionis sometimes better than what's on the shelf (at least in some areas). Within the past few weeks, I have gotten every figure that's been released so far in 2004 with the exception of J'Quille and the Yoda and Clone Trooper animated figures. The Ultra and deluxe figures used to be incredibly hard to find, but the stores are now carrying them in great numbers.

So I guess, things haven't gotten bad for the general collecting hobby. Just Brian's Toys. Besides, the 4-pack is on pre-order for $20 at toysrus.com and the Ultra Ewok should be pretty easy to find. Don't give up hope yet. :)

OC47150
04-20-2004, 02:08 PM
In time, amazon.com will have their four-packs on sale.

jedimarvin
04-20-2004, 04:01 PM
I've never really understood how Brian's Toys stays in business. You would have to be very impatient to buy something like the Ewok glider or carkoon 4 pack for those prices. No matter where in the states you live, I don't think we've been given any reason to think these things aren't going to show up. Besides we still have Amazon and with the occasional free shipping you aren't paying anymore then retail.

In the past I found some decent deals on 90's G.I.Joe carded stuff but haven't been back in a while. If you take the time to look you can find stuff a lot cheaper.

I'm a big fan of Cloud City and Yestertoys. Both have a wide selection at very reasonable prices and neither of them charge a $2 handling fee on top of $6 shipping fee for a single action figure!

As far as vintage stuff goes, it's been my experience that your best bet is eBay. You can find stuff a heck of a lot cheaper there then most online retailers...if you're patient of course.

OC47150
04-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Look at it this way: retailers like Brian's Toys have direct sources in Asia and get new toys a lot sooner than the Targets and Wal-Mart and TRUs of the world. That type of practice does cost more money, which is passed on to consumers like you and me. It's supply and demand. There's a demand for it, and he can offer whatever price he wants for it.

Personally, I don't have to be first to have the deluxe ewok; I can wait for a while until it does show up at Target.

As for the handling fee, it's been so long since I ordered from Brian's Toys I don't remember being added to my bill.

Jay86
04-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Brians Toys is actually great with some figures prices, I'm talking about low priced figures and stuff. Cloud City is great, Yestertoys....in the past I've had nothing but good business with them, but recently, towards the end of March, my mom placed an order for me in hopes it would get here before easter, and the stuff still hasnt showed up....usually whenever I've ordered from them my stuff comes within 5 days, but I dont know whats going on.....whats worse, is that I've emailed them a few times and they still have yet to email me back, and none of their phone numbers work unless you dial the cell phone number and talk to the owner, or who I assume is the owner. I'm a big fan of Yestertoys, they have the best prices 99% of the time, but as of late I'm not sure whats going on with them...I called the guy today and he JUST shipped that order I placed almost a month ago, and it almost seems like he has no one else working for him or something. I'm not bashing Yestertoys, like I said I've had nothing but great service from them in the past and I hope to do plenty more business with them in the future. Then again, I've found that places like Brians Toys are good for picking up what I call "extras", figures that you'd need to just kinda throw in a diorama, easy to find main character figures and stuff, older POTF2 and Episode 1 figures and stuff, but as far as Brians Toys goes on newer items, $20 for a new figure is absolutely absurd. Basically, if its vehicles and stuff you want, Cloud City and Yestertoys it is....cheap (older) figures - Brians Toys. Cheap newer figures - Planet Action Figure (assuming they have them). But if all Brians Toys relied on was selling newer figures....there would be no such thing as Brians Toys because I doubt anyone would be willing to pay $20 just to have a new figure...and if you do, you're probably crazy.

Kidhuman
04-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Thats why I never buy from etailers. I will buy cases though, they arent too unreasonable. :beard:

Turbowars
04-20-2004, 09:09 PM
EE sells cases for 64.99 and if you split the case with a buddy, it's a pretty good deal if you can't find figures in retail. It just so happens I have been able to score everything up to the Bossk wave at retail (with the help of a few friends), so EE hasn't been getting any of my $. Another plus is that I live close to EE, so no shipping costs. Ok, enough gloating.

I have bashed Brian's toys may of times here, but it's just fun and games. They will never get any of my $. Some people have a thing about getting a new figure 1st. I mean just look at some of the e-bay auctions:rolleyes:. So Brian, keep the prices high and good luck.:stupid:,

TheDarthVader
04-20-2004, 11:45 PM
I share the same sentiments with Turbowars. Good luck Brian's Toys. :crazed:

Old Fossil
04-21-2004, 11:14 AM
For some, money is no object... thus Brian's Toys stays in business. For the rest of us, well, patience can pay off big time.

Check out the site ohmygodcheapnewfiguresonline.com, first reported on here by kidhuman, I think. Their prices are very competitive, but I haven't personally ordered from them yet. As far as Yestertoys, they DO have probably the best prices on the 'Net, but I too had issues with the time it takes them to ship their product; and lately they really haven't had anything new to offer.

And while I wouldn't say that a red ARC Trooper at 5X retail is a good thing, it at least reflects a very healthy collector interest, which in my book means the hobby is alive and well. As much as I like to find SW on clearance, that is not always a good thing; the fact that Brian's Toys can ask such a large amount means that people are indeed buying them, meaning Brian's can stay in business and keep ordering merchandise from Hasbro, which in turn will see a continued demand for their product.

It's not a perfect system, but it works.

arctangent
04-21-2004, 11:33 AM
there is already another thread complaining about brian's toys over in 'other':

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=23726

i guess you will always find some people who have to have stuff no matter what the price. i bought a b-wing from brian's toys once and it was expensive but even with international shipping it still worked out cheaper than i could get it here in the uk.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I started collecting with the Episode I figures. I didn't think I'd be able to get all the POTF2 figures so I didn't start collecting them. Then I found a store in a town nearby that had lots of them, so I was able to get a majority of them there and at KB Toys on clearance. Then I discovered Brian's Toys and I was able to fill in the gaps in my POTF2 collection and the prices weren't too bad. But after that, I haven't ordered too often. The new figures that I can't find in stores are usually priced too high, so I wait. I usually find them in the store eventually. Then, if I feel I probably won't find them, I place an order. Another thing about Brian's Toys is that they seem to have the largest selection. Without going to eBay, it was the only place online that I found Ephant Mon available, though I had to pay $40 for it. If I was new to the hobby now, I could still get most of the figures from there. However, with my most recent order, I ordered from KebCo, as the figures were only late '03 figures and the price was much better.

Darkross
04-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Brianstoys.com may be expensive...but what do you want? Price or selection? I prefer selection and I am very selective with the stuff I buy. Living in Canada...makes it difficult to find anything new...without making a trip across the border. I've had nothing but good experience buying from Brianstoys.com, they respond to email within a few hours and have always been good to me. Yeah the prices are high...but you can find almost any figure you want...so it's a trade-off in my book!

Kidhuman
04-28-2004, 07:34 AM
For some, money is no object... thus Brian's Toys stays in business. For the rest of us, well, patience can pay off big time.

Check out the site ohmygodcheapnewfiguresonline.com, first reported on here by kidhuman, I think. Their prices are very competitive, but I haven't personally ordered from them yet. As far as Yestertoys, they DO have probably the best prices on the 'Net, but I too had issues with the time it takes them to ship their product; and lately they really haven't had anything new to offer.

Yes you got it right Twodot. :beard: They do have competitive prices on new figures. The only thing is they get limited quantity. Soyou need tocheck the site at all times of day.