PDA

View Full Version : Anymore Star Wars flight sims for PC???

jedimarvin
04-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm a strictly PC gamer player. I don't have time to play much so I stick to the computer when I do. Generally, I've been a big fan of recent Star Wars games. Jedi Academy was too easy and short, IMO and can't stand up to Jedi Knight II. Neither of them can stand up to KOTOR, though! Wow, what a game.

Anyhow...what I really miss though are flight simulater games. X-Wing was my first PC game and a favorite until I played TIE Fighter. Then we got X-Wing Alliance! Still, probably my favorite game. I like to go back and play the Death Star levels over and over again, despite some fo the crappy voices.

Ever since then I've been waiting and hoping for a new flight sim game. Starfighter was decent and had pretty good graphics but I want something from the classic trilogy for the PC.

Why weren't the Rougue Leader games ever released for PC??!! Will we ever get another PC flight sim game?? Any rumors floating out there??

Exhaust Port
04-20-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm right there with you, I would love to see another series of SW PC flight sims. X-Wing and Tie Fighter were outstanding!

Lord Malakite
04-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Why weren't the Rougue Leader games ever released for PC??!! Will we ever get another PC flight sim game?? Any rumors floating out there??
As of right now I have yet to hear of any new PC flight sim games. If that changes I'll be certain to post it. The Rogue Squadron games are exclusive because of negotiations between Factor 5, LucasArts, and Nintendo. While the second game (Rogue Leader) and the third game (Rebel Strike) are only available on the GameCube, the original Rogue Squadron was released on both the Nintendo 64 (Rogue Squadron) and PC (Rogue Squadron 3-D). I wouldn't consider these games true flight sims though like TIE Fighter or X-Wing. If you are still interested in it though, I'd also suggest Battle for Naboo for the PC. While it has ground based missions mixed in and focuses on Episode I rather than the Original Trilogy, it has a similar flavor as the Rogue Squadron games.

Exhaust Port
04-21-2004, 11:09 AM
I would be happy with the same X-Wing and Tie Fighter games if they just updated the graphics. The sound on those old games is still outstanding but obviously the graphics are lightyears behind what can be accomplished with modern graphics cards. Just looking at the WW2 flight sims out there makes me drool at the thought of what could be done in the SW universe.

jedimarvin
04-22-2004, 10:31 AM
I agree the old games are still on par as far as playability, but I really want to see something new! Lucasarts can sue the same basic game engine, but I would love a new story line.

My ultimate game would be something as long as Star wars Collector's CD with modern graphics and a story that brings in some classic and EU elements...along with the wide variety of ships you can fly in X-Wing Alliance. I would also love if there was some action that took place on foot at star ports or back at bases. Nothing like KOTR...that would take up several cds...just maybe some problem solving, exploration ability, etc... to break up the dogfighting.

Keepd reaming, I guess. :ermm:

Exhaust Port
04-23-2004, 04:01 PM
I would really want to see a pure flight simulator with no ground based action. IMHO there are waaaaayyy to many first/second person action games.

In addition to the types of missions that X-Wing and Tie Fighter had, a new game, or game series, should include the prequals as well as some Hoth Missions.

Oooh, I would love to see them make an Imperial Endor/Hoth simulator. You could command an AT-AT or AT-ST through the forest of Endor or over the snow of Hoth blowing up Ewoks and Rebel scum!

What is really missing is that true mission feel from the X-Wing and Tie Fighter days. Modern games just throw you right into the mix and don't give you that sense of traveling distance or seeing a mission start to finish. Plus with modern computer power it would be possible to have a full blown space battle with hundreds upon hundreds of ships! They only really gave us a few missions in the X-Wing expansion packs that had a moderately sized battle. I want to see something like the end of ROTJ where there are tons of fighters and transports fighting it out while Capital ships duke it out. Man that would be sweet!

jedimarvin
04-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Have you ever played X-Wing Alliance...they have the Death Star II battle in it. Most of the Imperial fleet is background but there are several Star Destroyers and Rebel Cruisers duking it out with hundreds of fighters. Only problem is that the DSII missions have a pretty short time frame.

I like to use Alliance's feature where you can design your own skirmishes and pit a fleet of Mon Cal cruisers against the Super Star Destroyer.

Anyhow...I agree a land-based sim would be really interesting....sorta like mech warrior but with AT-ST's, AT-AT's, snowspeeders, etc...

Exhaust Port
04-26-2004, 03:26 PM
I've only played the demo of X-Wing Alliance and it included that battle. It was visually stunning but it was more arcade than simulator style IMHO.