PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Hasbro?

JediGoofy
12-14-2001, 03:43 AM
Hi guys,
I am a SW Micro Machines collector and, like all the other SW MM collectors who write in the Micro Machines forum, I am quite angry with Hasbro because of the decision to cancel completely all the MM toy lines (SW Micro Machines, Action Fleet, Die-cast, ... everything). :frus:

Hasbro decided to cancel these toy lines because after Episode I they did not sell well. But the reason of this was Hasbro itself overproduced the first wave and flooded the market. After that they cancelled completely the line even if there were vehicles and playsets ready for the production line (see the other thread C'mon - give us Micro Machines collectors a break (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2113&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)). :confused:

I do not want to be rude, but I would like to ask to the people collecting other Hasbro products (mainly action figures) if they are happy with Hasbro or if they think Hasbro takes sometimes wrong decisions about distribution, new items, prices, ... :crazed:

I mean they could sell more and make more profit if they behave differently. After all we all want to buy their products, but it looks like they try to discourage us. Why? :stupid:

Bye,
JediGoofy

P.S. Do not get mad with me, I am just curious to know your opinions.
And maybe Hasbro is listening too ... ;)

britcit3
12-14-2001, 07:16 AM
NO!!!!!! - their customer service stinks.

Please refer to the C'mon, Give us MM collectors a break thread.

Thanks for nothing, HBO.

BC3

Wolfwood319
12-14-2001, 07:34 AM
For the most part, the 3 3/4'' line is doing decent. Sure we've gotten a handful a resculpts that no one wanted, and we haven't seen any Imperial Shuttle or General Reiken yet, but the product line itself is good. We've gotten some cool figures and vehicles over the past 2 years that most of us weren't expecting, whcih is nice.

Their distribution sucks, and most places don't have more than 2 pegs devoted to SW, if they have a SW section at all. But most of us have been able to find pretty much what we wanted, whether it be store or by online shopping or whatever.

I've read a couple of the MM threads and I must say that it is a shame what has happened to the line. I was never a collector of MM that much, but I did pick up stuff that interested me.

The reasons they're cancelling the line doesn't go without warrant however. They've pretty much come to the conclusion that Star Wars lines of products are predominantly bought by collectors. As we've seen with all of the shifting of marketing for the action figures. With the abysmal failure of just about every Episode 1 product, retailers were hesitant to order any new Star Wars products.

In Hasbro's mind, if MM are only going to be bought by collectors, there isn't enough incentive to have a whole factory open, producing the MM line, for the amount of potential customers out there. For arguments sake, there isn't enough of a demand to warrant an entire factory being built, run, and operated to produce MM period. Not to mention all the additional costs there would be for distribution and what have you. Most Micro Machine items, be it Star Wars, Star Trek, whateve, sat on the shelves, due to lack of interest. Especially for E1. And most stores wouldn't even stock them if they were put back into production. It was the final nail in the coffen so to speak.

They're just thinking and acting like a business trying to make money. If hundreds of thousands of people wrote to Hasbro demanding MM to be brought back, they still probably wouldn't do it.

I'm not saying this to be mean, and you guys have every right to be angry, but I'm just saying it like it is.

good shot jansen
12-14-2001, 07:35 AM
collecting star wars toys when galoob was around was a lot of fun! the old buzz board is what turned me into a star wars toy aficionado! the direct interaction through the board with the actual galoob design team members was something that was special and well appreciated. it's what made star wars toy collecting so enjoyable!

but, enjoyable fun is not what you deal in hasbro. only your skewed view of the bottom line. two years ago, you decided that you're ragtag micro machines customers were not important anymore, the 1st wave of episode I micro machines were not selling in the numbers to equal the absurd amount of limited product that you dropped helter skelter on the market, (of course it never occurred to you lame brains that by limiting the micro machines packs to two sometimes one vehicle, as well as making it a vehicles where you really only want one of)(how many anakin pods do i need anyway, or sith infiltrators, gungan subs, etc. etc, you only released the droid fighter in a playset, and the naboo fighter, and mtt weren't released until the limited run of the latter sets, hello?! anyone home?:rolleyes: ), if you wanted to sell lots of the same product, at least make your early mass runs a desired army builder item!:frus:

to retaliate against us for not buying thousands of action fleet sebulba pod racers, you pull the plug on the buzz board, and then as a final gesture of appreciation to galoob's long time clientele, you pull the plug on the entire line!:mad:

do i like hasbro? i think this thread should be titled, does hasbro like us?

:mad:

bigbarada
12-14-2001, 08:27 AM
Having not so fond memories of the cheap Hasbro sales tactics during the GI Joe:ARAH and Transformers run in the 80s (reusing body parts in the GI Joe line, casting the exact same figure in two different colors and selling it as two different toys in the Transformers line). I was pretty much prepared for everything we've gotten in recent years.

I really wish we had Kenner back as an independent company, because they really seemed to care about the Star Wars brand. Hasbro acts like the Star Wars liscense is a boil on their butt that they've been trying to remove for years.

The worst part about it all is Hasbro's own greed is what hurt the Ep1 line.

Rollo Tomassi
12-14-2001, 09:29 AM
bigbarada's idea
casting the exact same figure in two different colors and selling it as two different toys in the Transformers line

I've never thought of it that way, but you're right. Geez, I was completely roped into the toys as separate characters that I never thought about the fact that it was all the same mold.

Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp (and later Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust) were all similar.

Rumble and Frenzy were the same.

Cliffjumper and Bumblebee (and later Hubcap).

Bluestreak, Prowl, and Smokescreen.

Trailbreaker and Hoist.

Optimus and later Ultra Magnus.

Geeeeeez...what a sucker I've been... :(

Baal
12-14-2001, 04:09 PM
You're quite right Wolfy.
In the over-all picture, serious collectors(like us Micros, and I'm sure all of you that collect other Star Wars and Star Trek stuff) probably make up a miniscule portion of any toy company's market. So, to put an end to all the hate mail that's just waiting to be sent,
I offer to purchase any and all equiptment, molds, and materials associated with the Star Wars, Star Trek, and EP1 MicroMachines lines.
Obviously, Hasbro has no use for them.
I'm sure I will get no response to my offer, as the case has been in my numerous offers to Hasbro in the past, which include a large investment(with the stipulation that the MMs line be continued) and prior to that, finacial assistance in aquiring the licensing for Star Trek items from Paramount.
Your pal The Devil,
Baal

Jargo
12-15-2001, 07:49 PM
Superficially, no. It's very easy to knock them as a faceless company and slam the thinking behind the distribution of figures and the cost and the selection of figures released. I have no problem with the guys who put thelegwork intogetting these figures sculpted. They mostly do a beautiful job of translating difficult designs into such a tiny scale. As a keen modeller I know how difficult it is to turn a 2D picture into a 3D article. Especially with bad reference pictures that are lit dreadfully and often don't show all the detail. I know that they get better reference and access to the props and stuff thesedays but it's not easy at all.

How independent is the star wars division? How much of a strangle hold does the main company have over the division that gives us so many figures in a non film year? So many excellent figures in a non film year. I'm content that these figures are coming out still and that the lines look fairly healthy despite retail apprehension following the disaster of episode one.
My beef is with the thinking behind having a division of Hasbro based in the UK that somehow feels it' unneccesary to distribute goods at all. All the retailers who stock star wars toys in the UK are shipping stuff in from Hasbro Germany via the grey market, or from the States and Hong Kong. Something certainly isn't right there. hasbro need to address this issue and realise how large the UK collector market is. We need hasbro to be attempting to bolster the spirits of the larger retailers and gain their confidence again so that more people can find the toys over a larger area and not have to rely on expensive comic stores and online stores to get the goods.
I could have saved a fortune this last year if any of the large retail chains had been stocking star wars toys. I've spent hundreds of pounds on star wars toys these last two years money that is hard earned. I could have spent a lot less if a retailer like Toys'R' Us had been stocking anything.
It's taught me to be canny with retailers who do stock and how to spot a bargain but I'd rather not have to go fishing when I shop and instead walk into a large store and find a row of pegs with stuff hanging there.
So no, I don't like Hasbro as a company that has really strange ideas about consumer loyalty and how to treat consumers. no, i don't like Hasbro as a company that makes awful toyslike Mr. Potato head and thinks it should concentrate on old fashioned toys that no-one wants anymore instead of moving with the times and pushing the technological boundaries with inventiveness and creativity. "Emerging teen market." with phrases like that turning up in powerpoint presentations it shows how behind the times and fuddy duddy the company really is. It's high time they were given a shot in the arm and brought into the twenty first century. I don't want to see the star wars toys ruined with gimmicky novelty features like some toy lines have been but I also don't want the toys to stay stuck in a 1970's groove.

Wolfwood319
12-15-2001, 11:34 PM
I agree with you Jargo in that the past year for figures was one of the best ever. But the initial reason for starting this post was Hasbro's decision to kill the Micro Machines line.

In my previous post I explained why I believe they went about with ending the line, but I'm still sad to see another great line of products go the way of the dodo.

Hasbro's attention to the 3 3/4'' line this past year was incredible. The fan choice polls, the shift from a kids market to a collector's market, etc. But they still had some problems.

JediTricks
12-16-2001, 07:47 AM
Hasbro too often acts like a greedy, brainless corporate hog that cares little for their customers as people. Hasbro's buying Tonka/Kenner and much later, Galoob, and then stripping them and shutting them down shows what little regard they have for the industry, and shutting down the Micro Machines line after pushing it into the toilet - even though those same folks who put their hearts and souls into MM also picked up the major slack on the Star Wars line of figures, doing 50% of the designs before the big shut down - shows that they don't care about their customers much. They have made a ton of mistakes and boneheaded moves (glow in the dark Batman?!?) and rarely look at customer needs and problems, so it is hard for me to be cordial, much less actively cheery, about Hasbro. The answer is "NO", GI Joe and Transformers were fun toys, but even 20 years ago as BigBarada pointed out, Hasbro was mostly working to sucker as many buyers as possible instead of making more new products and products that are better thought out (GI Joe Extreme, who's the jeenyuss who came up with THAT?!?).

Jargo
12-16-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
the initial reason for starting this post was Hasbro's decision to kill the Micro Machines line.

Yeah i saw the other thread about this subject and thought that this one was more general. No matter, I think that some of the problems faced by MM collectors are applicable to 3" figure collectors too.
I must say i was never a big fan of the micro machines but the action fleet were at least interesting and offered some neat innovations with regards to design. They also allowed the building up of squadrons with the different colourschemes and so on. What happened to the action fleet line during episode one really turned my stomach. I couldn't really believe that the same company were responsible for the classic vehcles and the newer TPM ones. What a difference in quality and creativity. It's a damn shame that this happened because I had considered starting a collection of the action fleet vehicles to save room after my 3" vehicles collection got too large and took up too much room.
Sadly I never did collect a single TPM action fleet item. They were just horrible and sat on the shelves for months clogging up precious space in TRU's all over the UK. But instead of attempting to get things right and rethinking the design policy, Hasbro just shoot the line dead. Great going from the big boys eh?

JediCole
12-19-2001, 05:29 PM
Though I was sad to see the Micro Machines line go by the way side, I have to agree more with those here who realize more of the big picture. To say that Hasbro alone ushered in the greedy rehashing aspects of the line ignores the fact that pre-buy out by Hasbro, Galoob was already gleefully making us rebuy one or two ships we already had to get one or two we did not (after the first few waves of the initial line). I began selling loose Star Wars and Star Trek Micro Machines minis at toy shows as part of my standard inventory because, as a collector, I had to keep re-buying the same ships! Over time it just made sense to buy more to sell to those who just want a Falcon, Slave-1, or Death Star, but it started as a result of repacks. So the blame for that does not rest solely on Hasbro. Popular though the tactics are with them.

As for poor distribution, there is strong evidence that the retail chains themselves are as much to blame as Hasbro. Again, the blame is not all theirs. Those of us that live in sizeable metropolitan areas know only too well how one Wal-Mart or TRU will have lots of Star Wars toys on a consistant basis while others, often not ten miles away will have nothing for months, if at all. Why should this be the case? I have said this over and over, it boils down to the unique nature of the Star Wars brand. Unlike Planet of the Apes, Atlantis, or other licensed lines, Star Wars just keeps coming. Someone once mentioned in a thread that a TRU employee told them that, "They don't make Star Wars toys any more. These things aren't made forever." This is true for most lines. They are one-shot wonders which hope to make their bucks while the movie is in the public eye (or even start beforehand), yet Star Wars keeps churning out new figures year after year. But retail management does not understand this. They don't realize that they have too much of the figures from three releases ago on the pegs, but the distribution center has the next three just waiting for orders from stores. The stores don't order because the poor, uneducated sould saddled with the thankless baby-sitting, constant-clean-up job of the toy section sees pegs sagging with Star Wars figures and orders no more.

I don't intend to be the champion of Hasbro here, I agree that they have made mistakes and blunders over the years. But at the same time, they have made remarkable advances, not the least of which is the long-overdue recognition of the collector market (the existance of which Hasbro management long denied). The point of this is that at every point, the blame is not Hasbro's alone. When you point fingers, do it in an informed manner.

Jayspawn
12-20-2001, 11:10 AM
Yes, I have to say I like Hasbro (even though they really erk me sometimes!)

DARTH DUBIOUS
12-20-2001, 02:41 PM
You spell that as 'IRK' not 'ERK'

I don't know Hasbro personally but i hear bad things about them.
If I can find what i want when i want it then i like hasbro. If I can't find anything new at all then i don't like Hasbro. But then I don't like the store managers either. Or the cashiers or the floor assistants. Or the trucjk driver delivery men or the guys who work in despatches.........

It's a subjective question to me and has no real answer. They do make exceedingly nice toys though.:D

2-1B
05-04-2008, 10:39 PM
No, I do not like them.

bigbarada
05-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Do I like them? Yes.

Do I like like them? Well, I don't really know them that well.

JON9000
05-05-2008, 01:00 PM

Actually, it's "AERK"

mtriv73
05-17-2008, 12:56 PM

And technically, he did spell it as "ERK." I guess you meant that it is correctly spelled "irk."

At any rate, Hasbro erks me sometimes too.