PDA

View Full Version : A "What do YOU think" thread.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-23-2004, 12:24 PM
I want to know what you guys think of "reality" tv.

I really am interested in everyone's opinion. I'm kind of doing an experiment/test on my own, for my own knowledge and would like everyone's input on what they think, no matter what it is. And also what you think about the upsurgence of all these new "reality" shows that have come about over the last few years.

This idea came to me from the "I'm Spicy" commercial thread because I've never seen it, not once. And I realized why I haven't seen it...because I don't watch tv due to the overwhelming presence of "reality" tv shows. I do watch 24 hour nicktoons, cartoon network and the movie channels like HBO, Cinemax and Showtime, which I feel very lucky to have so that I don't have to watch "regular" tv, but I know not everyone has these channels, so then does that make people watch reality tv because that's all that is on, or do you still refuse???

Discuss!

PS. I know we're not really average people here on SSG, :crazed: but that's kinda part of what I'm hoping for in my theory of "reality" tv watchers.

James Boba Fettfield
04-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I watch Survivor, and I like it because I view it as a game. It's no different than watching Jeopardy (a favorite of mine) or NFL games. Strategy and laying it all on the line for the big prize...and cheering on your favorite contestant (Rupert!)

Dr Zoltar
04-23-2004, 01:30 PM
I watch "Extreme Home Makeovers" and "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" but that's it. I think I got turned off when Real World was on way back when. They had a season in Seattle and I knew a lot of people that protested the show. Funny how the large groups of protesters never made the news.

I tried to watch the first season of Big Brother, but when the one legged contestant who needed an attitude adjustment won, I was really disappointed. Now I avoid reality TV "game shows" like the plague -- Survivor, Big Brother, Trump, etc.

I have been known to catch the BBC versions once in a while. I liked "Castaway", but then I think that British television is all around better than most of what the US pumps out.

I hope no one out there thinks that "reality TV" is 100% real. If you have the chance to watch "The Reality of Reality Shows" on VH1, it's a real eye opener.

El Chuxter
04-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Fettfield is a fellow Hagrid--I mean, Rupert--fan! Now that's one heckuva :beard:! Slap an eyepatch on him and he's also the perfect :Pirate:. I'm also partial to Big Tom, or as we call him (in front of the children) "Goatlover." (If you're familiar with the Chickenlover episode of South Park, you'll be able to figure out what my wife and I normally refer to the big galoot as.)

Yeah, I eventually got hooked on Survivor for pretty much the same reason as JBF. It's a game, and normally a pretty interesting one.

I'm probably the only person here who watches American Idol. I see it as more of a game show than a reality show. Simon is pretty amusing, Paula is so stupid she's funny, and it's interesting to hear how good (or bad) the singers can be before they get contracts and sucked into the heavy production world of top 40 pop. Though I'd pay good money if Michael Clarke Duncan would walk on every week and beat the crap out of Seacrest. I hate that guy more than an army of Jar Jars.

(I'm hoping George wins this round and becomes the first winner to actually keep his musical integrity. Just dredging up Elton John's "Take Me to the Pilot" won him a lot of points in my eyes, and his topping Elton on that particular song was a big surprise.)

Queer Eye I catch when I can see it, but I don't follow it.

We used to follow Trading Spaces, but it slowly went downhill when the original host left to be replaced by that waste of protoplasm Paige, and it finally became unwatchable about a year or so ago.

My wife follows the Bachelor, but I will leave the room when it's on. You'd have to have no freaking self-respect to go on that show. (Luckily, it airs on Wednesday, so I can usually catch up on my new comic books while it's on. But when it's unexpectedly on for an extra 15 minutes, which seems to happen way too often, then you can see an argument brewing over whether we see that crap or South Park.)

Other shows, don't care. I'd say I wished there were more sitcoms than reality shows, but given the state of sitcoms these days, ehh. (Has anyone tried to watch King of Queens or Everyone Loves Raymond? Okay, probably so, and I'm on the verge of starting an argument. :))

sith_killer_99
04-23-2004, 04:17 PM
I believe that "Reality TV" is pure unadulterated EVIL![/I]

I hate reality TV. I loath it and I blame it for everything that is wrong with television today.

I blame MTV for kicking it off (I never liked "The Real World"). I wish I had never heard of "Survivor" or any of the other cheesy rip offs.

The only good "Reality TV" show to ever air was "The Surreal Life" and even that reeked of mediocrity! But hey, anyone that can get Ron Jeremy and Tammy Fay together (on TV) deserves props! ;)

:Pirate:

Kidhuman
04-23-2004, 05:48 PM
I hate it plain and simple. It just got out of hand. Cancel them all and bring back game shows. :beard:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Any TV genius who claims "reality television" is just like real life, is [fill in your particular word for stupidity here]. No one acts that way unless there's a camera on or money/fame at stake. I refuse to be duped that way. I have seen two episodes of UNreality TV: the last episodes of the first two seasons of Survivor. That's all folks.

Fame for doing nothing worthwhile? Not for me.

(Keep in mind that these are the rantings and ravings of a public school teacher)

Old Fossil
04-23-2004, 10:00 PM
The closest thing to reality TV I'll watch is "Who's Line Is It, Anyway?"

Survivor... American Idol... The Bachelor... they're not exactly boring, just immensely trivial. I hear the same kind of whining and see the same kind of meanness enough from day to day, without having to watch it on television for entertainment .

JediTricks
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
(If you're familiar with the Chickenlover episode of South Park, you'll be able to figure out what my wife and I normally refer to the big galoot as.)See attachment.

Annnyway, as for Reality TV, I don't generally enjoy it, it's not just that it's so forced, or that it's generally quite predictable, or that the whole point is that the networks can make a ton of money off these incredibly-cheap productions rather than through actual scripted television -- though those are quite annoying elements to be sure -- no, what really bugs me about it is how they edit the hell out of everything to shape it into a TV show, even if it means badly distorting or even reenacting what actually happened to do it.

I do watch The Osbournes, but only because Ozzy rules. And I watch Iron Chef - the WWF of reality cooking shows - Monster Garage, Junkyard Wars, and American Chopper, but those are more about MAKING something cool.

One thing I don't get is why there are a million decorating shows on lately, redecorate your house, redecorate your look, redecorate your car, what the HELL?!? Even MTV has a few of these, I don't get why there's such an overabundance of these of late. And it seems like everybody can be a decorating expert if they just find the right series to be on, to borrow a phrase from Jerry Seinfeld, who ARE these people?

dr_evazan22
04-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I started watching Survivor when it first came on and thought it was great. I still think it's great, but, for the most part, the same things are continuing to happen. people strategizing on how to win, who to vote off, etc... I've basically gotten bored with Survivor, but I did start watching again this year with the All-Stars.

My girlfriend has gotten me watching American Idol. I like Simon because he tells it like it is. I generally think the songs that get chosen to be performed are carp. Some of the contestants that made it to the final 12 are just too young IMO. There are a couple on the show that should have been off a while ago. Can't stand Paula Abdul... She seems like an empty puppet head who tells the contestant that they look nice if she doesn't have anything better to say.

Saw Queer Eye once, because of the gf again. She said she wants to nominate me and my place for the show (somewhere down the line). Uh, ... No. Anyway, didn't think it was that great. I was told the premise was that these guys come and redo the 'house' in like 3 hours. And I think I was led to believe that they hadn't been to the location before, but they painted the walls and set the place back up, complete with new art and such. I could possibly believe they got all the change made in the 3 hours, but not planned and changed in 3 hours.

And caught the last 2 ep's of the Apprentice because of the gf again! Not bad. Kwame could've won if he had fired Omorosa, the lying B****.

EricRG
04-24-2004, 01:03 AM
I just don't get the attraction of reality TV. It's just plain BORING and have about as much reality as soap operas do. I generally only watch sports (mostly cycling on Outdoor Life Network), some cartoons (Simpsons, PowerPuff girls, Samurai Jack, a bit of SpongeBob), some Star Trek (not too happy about Spike getting rid of TNG, though), and the occasional movie. I will watch The Breakfast Club at any and all times. "Could you describe the ruckus?" :D

But really, I watch very little TV.

2-1B
04-24-2004, 02:14 AM
I think there are far too many reality shows out there but I have taken a liking to two of them (The Apprentice and Average Joe) because of the way they edit it to come up with some crazy characters.

I watched Queer Eye only a few times on NBC because I don't get Bravo but the few shows I did see, I loved it.

I never got into Survivor.

I missed out on seeing The Littlest Groom which is disappointing because I think midgets rock.

Sidiously Darth
04-24-2004, 04:16 AM
I must agree with all the reasons so far for not liking "reality" tv. It is a very cheap form of producing shows which allow networks to bank roll in the short term. Basically they're shortsighting themselves on future profits, as in syndication.
Do they really think anyone is going to pick up the rights to show reruns of the meaningless shows? I could see the possibility of a cable channel for old "reality" tv shows but not reruns on other networks like USA or WB.

Heck, who would even want to buy dvds from these farces of tv? Honey, lets go home and watch the 2nd episode of the third season of... I don't buy it and wouldn't.

I'm sure network execs really don't care but I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith & Seinfeld will be airing for many, many more years.

mabudonicus
04-24-2004, 06:47 AM
First off, I shun the "reality" shows for many of the above reasons, the phoney editing, lack of actual scripts, quasi-talented individuals, you name it

The only "reality" show I watch is NHL hockey, Leafs if you please (and even that is questionable at times, but a fellow needs his guilty pleasures)

In the long Canadian winter I do surf the 5 channels we had and accidentally stumbled upon "Littlest Groom" and "celebrity spelling bee"
Caesar, you missed out, LG was completely appalling in a way that would be impossible to describe, it was awesome (only saw episode 1 though, missed the conclusion, almost makes it better)
And celebrity spelling bee was interesting, the level of editing was real high and they still couldn't get a coherent show out of it.. Samar was the highlight ;)

Oh, and as mentioned by JT, Iron Chef (or any of the Japanese game shows, the sheer kinetic thrill of the footage in "MXC" or whatever is golden, and they don't try too hard to make you believe that it's "real")
And MST 3K is a good one, it's all about reality in a way....
:beard:

sith_killer_99
04-24-2004, 08:42 AM
THe biggest reason I hate these shows is that they continue to fill up the Prime Time slots, while so many good shows are getting the ax!

Angel

TruCalling

Wonder Falls

Enterprise?!?!?

Far Scape (OK, I know, it was Sci-Fi Channels baby, but it could have been picked up by FOX or someone else)

I always hate to see shows like these cancelled, then a week or two later it seems like they have "The Most Eligable Midget Bride" in it's place. It really does make me sick.

Fame for doing nothing worthwhile? Not for me.

So what about famous (washed up lol) people from all walks of life living together. LOL I still say "The Surreal Life" rocked!

Did anyone watch the last season? Who would have thought Rob "Vanilla Ice" would give the people what they want (Ice Ice Baby) while Gary Coleman (What you talkin' 'bout Willis) was such a jerk about it all. Especially after all the stink Rob raised about "not being that guy" any more, not to mention his temper.

Anyway Reality TV=Bad! :Pirate:

kool-aid killer
04-24-2004, 11:30 AM
I watched both Average Joes, i thought the premise of a attractive woman surrounded by a bunch of regular guys would be interesting. But then they go and toss in the muscular guys and it was painful to watch the regular looking men get the shaft. Im currently only watching MTV's Da Band. For those that are unaware of its story, P. Diddy selected five rappers and a singer to form a new group. The show basically follows them on their journey to make it. You see the frustrations of not being able to come up with a hook for a song, some people dont think they are getting an appropriate amount of time on the next CD, and just how these different people get along with each other. Da Band has to also battle with claims that its not a real group, just a phony that was assembled to make MTV some money. But i dont feel that way about them because why would Diddy waste his time and money on a group that wasnt going to make him any cash?

Other than those two i shy away from reality tv. Too many shows out there and few catch my attention. Not all are bad, its just that tv is so full of them that too many lame ones are being aired, causing other shows with more potential to sit on the sidelines.

dr_evazan22
04-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Enterprise is being cancelled????

One, OK, 2 shows that I really can't believe are on are: The Swan and Extreme Makeovers. I think it's really sad that individuals would debase themselves SO much in the public eye. Hopefully those individuals are happy with whatever results they get.

I've always stuck up for the Howard Stern radio show by saying that the girls he has on don't have to appear, even the ones that get humiliated while being evaluated. But I think The Swan and XMO take it to a whole new level. But again, no is forcing them to do it.

Kidhuman
04-24-2004, 09:22 PM
I watched some of the Swan the other night. Basically I saaw what they looked like before and then what they looked like after. One lady was butt ugly(and I mean butt). They actually did wonders to her. The only thing is she looked like a completely different person. Had no resemablance to what she looked like beforehand. Almost like erasing a picture and drawing it differently.

DarthBrandon
04-24-2004, 11:02 PM
I don't watch any of it and I don't feel guilty about it in the least (mama watches it). It's the worst stuff on T.V. right now and it isn't even reality, they live in plush pads wear nice clothes (Real World, Apprentice, Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire, Idol, Average Joe, etc) and possibly could win a pile of money if they screw each other over. They know that they are on T.V., there's always a script / prize and it's always edited, so it's not reality to me. Give me a show that they don't know their on T.V., then it's reality IMO. This is just garbage and a fad at best, after a while nobody will care about it when they see the same thing over and over again. I'd rather be tarred and feathered than watch this crap. :)

Kidhuman
04-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Actually the ony good one was Joe Schmo. Did anyone else see that one?

mabudonicus
04-25-2004, 07:36 AM
I admit seeing a bit o that show KH, I actually liked how it was a bit "behind the scenes", but due to the editing and stuff, you could tell they pulled a lot of punches due to legal problems... that fact that it was admittedly a put-on made it a bit more palatable.... and now it's over, also admirable... AND buddy didn't record an album, another plus

Doc Evazan, I agree 100% with you, those 2 shows(Swan and extreme makeover) are insane, the commercials alone made me feel unclean.... makes me feel really old to be so outraged :beard: I can only begin to imagine the waivers and stuff the contestants have to sign......

BTW, are you related to steve Ditko, Doc?? You kinda look like him, in that pic you put up (If so, tell him he rocks) :beard:

sith_killer_99
04-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Enterprise is being cancelled????

No, I think it managed to hang on, but just barely. :confused: Don't ask me why they would consider cancelling, it is an outstanding show.

dr_evazan22
04-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm glad they didn't cancel Enterprise.

One show I forgot to mention, maybe the one of the oldest reality shows out there, Brandon reminded me of it: COPS! I luv it! A couple of years ago they were out in Washington state, forget the name of the county, but that was a good season. There's also a cop from Passiac (sp?) County NJ that they've featured a lot this year that's cool.

And, no Mab's. I'm not related to Ditko (I wish!). That would be way :beard: .

Dr Zoltar
04-26-2004, 11:23 AM
COPS! I luv it! A couple of years ago they were out in Washington state, forget the name of the county, but that was a good season.
Does Pierce County ring a bell? It's the mobile meth lab capital of the US. Pierce County and south get real rural in places.

dr_evazan22
04-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Pierce County. That's right. I remember one show had John Walsh (America's Most Wanted) going along with them.

JediTricks
04-26-2004, 01:27 PM
MXC and Surreal Life are pretty entertaining. They should take eps of the Surreal Life and let the MXC crew do new voiceovers for it. :D

Oh, and I've been watching the longest-running reality show for as long as I can remember, it's called "The Price is Right". :crazed:

"The Joe Schmo Show", I didn't sit through a single episode except for the last one, which pretty much showed everything else. It looked pretty goofball to me, and they kissed the hiney of the "star" so much I thought I was gonna vomit.

and now it's overJoe Schmo 2, coming this summer to SporkTV, this time with an unsuspecting guy AND girl! I kid you not.

No, I think it managed to hang on, but just barely. :confused: Don't ask me why they would consider cancelling, it is an outstanding show.Last I heard, Ent was still tapdancing on the fence. The reason they'd cancel it is because its ratings are shakey, it does poor with critics, it didn't end up bringing in the target audience it was intended for, and it costs a fortune to produce. However, it looks like it'll be getting a movie immediately since Rick Berman just said he was producer on the next, just-starting Star Trek movie, which will be a prequel.

Kidhuman
04-26-2004, 01:38 PM
"The Joe Schmo Show", I didn't sit through a single episode except for the last one, which pretty much showed everything else. It looked pretty goofball to me, and they kissed the hiney of the "star" so much I thought I was gonna vomit.

Yeah htey kissed his butt alot, but they put him through hell. It was hilarious the way everything was set up to make him win.

El Chuxter
04-26-2004, 02:30 PM
And I watch Iron Chef - the WWF of reality cooking shows

Hell yeah!! :Pirate: That show rules!! Iron Chef Sakai is the coolest living man on the face of the earth. Rumor has it that the Yoda fight scene in AOTC was based upon his style of throwing down against his foes. :beard:

Did you happen to see the four episodes of Iron Chef America this weekend? It was decent, but a really obvious instance of "Okay, this is America, and we're starting an American show, so we have to make sure the more talented Japanese chefs don't completely stomp them." The three Americans are Mario Battali, who seemed pretty cool (and worked with Sakai in the tag-team match), and Bobby Flay and Wolfgang Puck, neither of whom really seemed to understand the concept of the show judging upon the way they played.

Flay beating Sakai? Please. What a joke. Not even Snake Eyes could beat Sakai.

TeeEye7
04-27-2004, 06:14 AM
"Reality Shows" = the dumbing down of America. :stupid:

Entertain your brain instead! :beard:

Better yet: read a book! :cool:

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Better yet: read a book! :cool:

Excellent advice! :D

or a comicbook :silly:

JEDIpartner
04-27-2004, 12:17 PM
I hate about 95% percent of the "reality" shows. Sure... call me a Fa-g ('cos I am...) but I don't mind "American Idol" (it's a singing contest... or USED to be) and some of the TLC things are fun.

2-1B
04-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Yes JP, you certainly are a fantastic guy ! ! ! :)

TeeEye7
05-02-2004, 07:05 AM
or a comicbook :silly:

Right on! :D

Hellboy
05-02-2004, 02:48 PM
I enjoy some reality television, mostly the shows that are games like Survivor, The Amazing Race, and most recently The Apprentice. I stay away from anything that resembles The Bachelor and any of those stupid makeover shows. The Discovery Channel has a few good shows I enjoy though like American Chopper and American Hotrod but thats about it.

I think in general to many people blame high profile reality shows for the current poor state of television. There is definately a shortage of creative new ideas but I'd blame the networks for not taking chances instead. Some shows take a while before they develop a following but in todays market if there isn't instant results the show gets the axe and we end up getting endless clones of the latest "crime drama". To many spin-offs and not enough originality is why I watch less television these days. Reality television has always been around in one form or another it was just never considered prime-time material until the success of Survivor.

InsaneJediGirl
05-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I dont watch most reality shows,or a lot of TV lately.Cartoon Network,HGTV,FoodNetwork,Fuse and the Discovery Channel are about it nowadays.I'd rather go read,play video games,or be on the net here.

However,I do watch 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy','Showbiz Moms and Dads','COPS','Double Agents',and 'Iron Chef'.Besides cartoons,these about the only shows now I watch :crazed: I just do not think the programing quality is the same.Watching someone eat Rocky Mountain Oysters for $5 and a chance to be on TV(I bet grandma is proud :rolleyes: ) is not my idea of good TV.

Kidhuman
05-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Can we add other topics to the thread or no Deoxy? Its your call

Deoxyribonucleic
05-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Can we add other topics to the thread or no Deoxy? Its your call

Yes, please. the more the merry-er ;)