PDA

View Full Version : Force Lightning

Gungan Warrior
04-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Only the dark side possess the power to expell lighting right. Yoda didn't though, he absorbed Dooku's lighting and shot it back. Only the Dark Side posess that power right.

Pendo
04-27-2004, 02:53 AM
I wouldn't say that only the dark side posess' the power, but more that only the dark side use it. I think the Jedi could use it if they liked, but it is considered a dark act so they do not use it.

PENDO!

Kidhuman
04-27-2004, 06:50 AM
I agree with Pendo. Its a trait of the Sith. The Jedi wouldnt use it becuase iof the peace loving nature and only using a saber to defend themself.

Jayspawn
04-27-2004, 10:08 AM
"I've become more powerful than any Jedi, even you."

One of my favorite lines. I was totally blown away when I first saw Dooku use the lightning.

sith_killer_99
04-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah, and I was totally blown away when Obi-Wan used his lightsaber to defend against it. Why didn't he teach Luke that trick?!?! :crazed:

IMFETTUP
04-27-2004, 12:04 PM
I feel that Yoda only harnessed the power (he didn't create it). What labels the power as light or dark would depend on the intent of the action. This is my opinion of coarse. Now since this power is created by the force attuned, wouldn't everyone have the capability of using it?

Rocketboy
04-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Yoda seemed to have trouble harnessing it when it hit him. Maybe he just redirected it.
Kind of like a bunt in baseball.

dr_evazan22
04-27-2004, 01:09 PM
I think the reason is that the lightning is an offensive use of the Force, and as Yoda taught us in ESB it should be used only for "knowledge and defense".

And Luke might've instinctually used his saber to defend himself, but he threw it aside when he realized how close to the Dark Side he had come when fighting Vader. We can hear it clatter off to the side... Does anyone know what happened to it? Did it end up falling down the shaft? Does he have it at his side when he returns to Endor? I know that in the EU he still has it.

Pendo
04-27-2004, 02:56 PM
I think the reason is that the lightning is an offensive use of the Force, and as Yoda taught us in ESB it should be used only for "knowledge and defense".

And Luke might've instinctually used his saber to defend himself, but he threw it aside when he realized how close to the Dark Side he had come when fighting Vader. We can hear it clatter off to the side... Does anyone know what happened to it? Did it end up falling down the shaft? Does he have it at his side when he returns to Endor? I know that in the EU he still has it.
I always persumed it fell down the shaft, don't remember seeing him wear it after that scene, but I could be mistaken.

When Luke throws down his saber saying "I'll NEVER turn to the dark side", I think that is the most powerful moment in movie history, it's my all time favourite movie scene :D! I'm glad Luke didn't deflect Palpy's force lightening with his saber :).

PENDO!

JediTricks
04-28-2004, 07:40 PM
I think Luke tosses his saber away and it lands on the floor just in front of the stairs. It doesn't seem like it'd go into the chasm since he's standing at the front of it and throws the saber forward and to the left. My guess has always been that Luke simply calls it back to his hand after the scene ends as he's carrying Vader away, maybe even Vader had to tell him to get it (that might have been a cool scene, Vader showing Luke that the boy truly is a Jedi now).

Anyway, Evazan22 has the answer, I think. Force lighting is an offensive weapon, and the light siders don't use the Force that way. IIRC, the Obi-Wan/Vader battle in ANH actually was written with them using their Force powers against each other while they battled, stuff like lightning and mental attacks and whatnot - I always figured this is part of why their battle doesn't seem so over-the-top busy, they're not trying to whip blades around like a ballet, they're focusing all their internal Force powers against each other and using the sabers with just the most direct, basic moves needed.

TheDarthVader
04-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I emailed the Star Wars Insider a Star Wars question, and they published it in the issue with Luke on the cover. My question was: In Return of the Jedi why does Luke throw away his lightsaber after he defeats Darth Vader? When he did this, he was unarmed and couldn't defend himself from the Emperor's Sith lightning.

There's no reason to believe that Luke new the Emperor could hurl lightning. We don't know whether Yoda elaborated upon his warning not to underestimate the powers of the Emperor. Regardless of whether Luke new or not, his casting away of his weapon had nothing to do with tactics or strategy, and had everything to do with making a point. His gesture showed Palpatine that he could throw away his aggression, and thus, that the Emperor would not be able to use that approach to lure him to the dark side as he did Anakin.

Source: Star Wars Insider issue 73, Feb. 2004, Paizo Publishing

I am not really satisfied with the answer but oh well. I can't believe that if Obi Wan knew he could absorb the lightning with his lightsaber, Yoda didn't know. And it seems like Luke paid NO ATTENTION to Yoda's warning or he would not have thrown his lightsaber. Oh well, just my opinion.

Kidhuman
04-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Makes sense to me. If Luke did know, then it showed he would rather die than be on the Darkside.

dr_evazan22
04-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I think Luke did a good job of heeding Yoda's (and Obi's) warning of the insidious nature of the Dark Side. And it was a warning against the Dark Side that Luke was given, not against the Emperor. Luke began to fall victim to the Dark Side while watching the space battle, in an effort to try and save his friends and the Rebellion. While fighting Vader I think Luke realized his mistake and eventually hid from Vader under the platform. Which was where Vader learned of the existence of 'sister'. This pushed Luke even further towards the Dark Side in his effort to protect Leia again. After cutting off Vaders hand, he realized how close he had come to the Dark Side. Then, just like the Insider and KH said, he gave up his aggression and achieved his victory over the Dark Side (whether he died from Force-lightning or not).

Rocketboy
04-29-2004, 09:13 PM
I don't think Luke realized he was slipping into the dark side until he cut off Vader's hand. It's at that point he stops and looks at his own hand. Then it's as if he's realizing that this is a reversal of him and Vader on Bespin and he's becoming just like his father.

vadersvette
05-01-2004, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't say that only the dark side posess' the power, but more that only the dark side use it. I think the Jedi could use it if they liked, but it is considered a dark act so they do not use it.
PENDO!

Yeah, in the videogame Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Kyle Katarn uses Force lightning. :crazed:

dr_evazan22
05-02-2004, 03:04 PM
If anyone cares, I went back and watched the end of ROTJ. Luke's saber did NOT go down the shaft. I did not see the saber on Luke's belt as he was taking Vader to the shuttle, but he clearly has it at the end celebration scene.