PDA

View Full Version : Mayhew talks on Episodes 7, 8, and 9!?

Grif
04-27-2004, 08:29 AM
I really don't think this belongs here, but since it contains a spoiler that some may not know about I put it here. I was looking around killermovies.com and found this little article. Although I am hopeful that it isn't true since I believe that SW should just wrap up with E3. Anyway here it is,

Peter Mayhew who has been signed on for the third prequel Star Wars: Episode III told British magazine Hotdog some interesting contract info, heres the snippet:
"No wonder Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew is smiling. Not only has he been rescued from obscurity and given the chance to reprise his role as our Wookiee comrade for Episode III, but his contract also stipulates that he'd be required to appear in Episodes 7, 8, and 9.

Yes folks, seems there are actual whispers at Lucasfilm that the 'sequel' trilogy might be in the works..."

Now this might not mean that theres is sequels planned but just planning ahead if they ever do try to make them

arctangent
04-27-2004, 08:50 AM
what happens after return of the jedi has been written in one or two books, or so i believe.

so if they were ever going to film sequels they have three choices, as i see it.

1) create three new films taking into account events that have happened in the books that have been written.

2) use some of the books as a basis for the sequels.

3) ignore the books entirely, pretend that nothing written since return of the jedi really happened (bit like boba fetts origins in the tales of the bounty hunters series) and p**s off a lot of people who have bought and read said books to find out what happened next :ermm: !

i can't see it ever happening to be honest. if they don't do it soon the actors and actresses will be old to do the films anyway.

Pendo
04-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Not gonna happen! The story is finished! The ending is perfect, by adding more movies to the end of the story will totaly ruin it! Then again, the story will be ruined enough by the time Episode III comes out anyway, so ruining it even more won't make a difference :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

Deoxyribonucleic
04-27-2004, 10:42 AM
i can't see it ever happening to be honest. if they don't do it soon the actors and actresses will be old to do the films anyway.

Oh I hope you are right!! I can't imagine going through another three of these things. :bored:

Droid
04-27-2004, 10:51 AM
George Lucas is in his 60's. I really cannot see the man agreeing to work on this into his 70's. He has said (and I believe him) that there are other things he wants to do.

Besides, once Episode III is done, he'll go back and tinker with all of the movies to make sure they flow together for the Ultimate Edition.

Also, I read once Mark Hammill signed a contract for four Star Wars movies. Just because they have people sign contracts doesn't mean they're ever going to use their options.

IMFETTUP
04-27-2004, 11:49 AM
I wonder if wookies have grey hair? I don't see this happening either, not with all the books that have been written following episodes 4, 5, and 6. Even if the movies followed the books, we would be missing the intrigue involved in wondering what will happen. I would much prefer to see what happened in-between episodes. Like when Han mentions running into a bounty hunter on Ordn Mandell (sp?). Wishful thinking, I know...

Rogue II
04-27-2004, 07:45 PM
I really don't want any more Star Wars films after Episode 3, but I've actually heard that there are plans for another trilogy and that Speilberg may direct it. Aparently Speilberg wants to apologize to the Star Wars fans for Episodes 1 and 2.

Pendo
04-28-2004, 03:03 AM
Why does Stephen want to apologize for Eps 1 and 2??? He didn't ruin them :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

Droid
04-28-2004, 09:14 AM
The idea that Steven Spielberg would try to fix his best friend's most important project is absurd. Or that Lucas would let him. And like someone else said, it isn't Spielberg's place to apologize. And I reject the notion that we need more Star Wars films to make up for the prequels.

Rogue II I am not attacking you! I just think the information you received is wrong! :)

2-1B
04-29-2004, 02:23 AM
Mayhew is just talking this up to add more business to his year round convention appearances.

angellus
04-29-2004, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=Droid]And I reject the notion that we need more Star Wars films to make up for the prequels.[QUOTE]

I agree. Giving us three more Star Wars films to make up for these dismal prequels is like running over someone's dog and then backing over it again to see whether or not you killed it.

Turambar
04-30-2004, 10:35 PM
As much as Lucas seems to be after the $ these days, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he cranked out another trilogy of films even more poorly written, directed, and performed (& and overall phony looking) than this present project of his. More merchandise to sell! Surely there would still be plenty of suckers left to throw their money at him.

CooLJoE
05-22-2004, 03:53 AM
I guess I'm the only one that likes the idea of a 7, 8, and 9. :(

I just like starwars enough that more of it is better than it stopping completely. Once EP3 is done, I'll miss the starwars movies. I find it fun to hear about all the spoilers and then see trailers. And then when the movie comes out, you get to see another starwars story added to the continuing storyline.

More SW = Good IMO

hango fett
05-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I guess I'm the only one that likes the idea of a 7, 8, and 9. :(

I just like starwars enough that more of it is better than it stopping completely. Once EP3 is done, I'll miss the starwars movies. I find it fun to hear about all the spoilers and then see trailers. And then when the movie comes out, you get to see another starwars story added to the continuing storyline.

More SW = Good IMO

Amen. unlike all you nerfherds, i like the prequals better than the OT.
thats my opinon. take it or leave it. don't bash it.
HF

mrpauldeeds
05-24-2004, 06:19 PM
I actually would not mind an episode VII, VIII, IX. As long as time gets put into it and is not like episode I. It can be a chance for Lucas to redeem himself for ep. 1 and the prequels. I think it be cool to see luke go to the dark side..(if i am indeed right about that) Although i do have this part of me that says no way cuz look how much the quality of the prequals came out...(not saying they sucked, but i think most everyone would agree that the OT is way better then the prequels.) But whatever happens happens...

Jay86
05-24-2004, 08:47 PM
I actually would not mind an episode VII, VIII, IX. As long as time gets put into it and is not like episode I. It can be a chance for Lucas to redeem himself for ep. 1 and the prequels. I think it be cool to see luke go to the dark side..(if i am indeed right about that) Although i do have this part of me that says no way cuz look how much the quality of the prequals came out...(not saying they sucked, but i think most everyone would agree that the OT is way better then the prequels.) But whatever happens happens...
I agree with you on most of that. The only part I'm not sure on is Luke and the dark side. If George ever decided to do 7, 8, and 9, I'd like to see him write the story, not use an already existing "opinion" of what supposedly happens after ROTJ (the expanded universe books and stuff, which I dont really follow all too much since I view them as more opinion than truth, though I do like some of the EU stuff). And its not just so much the fact that the OT is better than the prequels, its kind of all in how you view it. I view the OT as a completely different series than the OT, with the only things that really tie them together being certain characters. Other than that, the prequels tell the story of Anakin Skywalker, and his fall from grace and whatnot. Thats why when I hear people say "George ruined Star Wars", well, not really no, he didnt. Saying that is like saying the whole OT was ruined just because the prequels were bad (if thats what you think at least, I'd disagree, I like the prequels). The OT hasnt been effected by the prequels in my opinion. They are two different trilogies that stand independently on their own in their own respective rights. But in the end its really just as you said mrpaul, "whatever happens happens".

preacher
05-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Makes since that this would happen. Lucas said way back when I was a wee lad that there would be 9 chapters to Star Wars.

Just because Peter Mayhew is signed on for VII, VIII, IX doesn't mean he will appear as Chewbacca. Maybe he would appear as another wookie. If it does happen, I certainly hope that Lucas is respectful enough to all the people that put the effort into expanding his universe that he wouldn't totally disregard the many storylines that made it possible to revitalize interest in Star Wars to begin with.

Lets face it - Star Wars was dead until Zahn wrote Heir to the Empire, and darkhorse made Dark Empire. Lucas really should be mindful of this and either a) not do VII, VIII, and IX if it means rewriting what happens afterward, or b) figure out some way to honor the work that has come to support his vision.

I'm one that, apart from the corny forced shakespear star-crossed lovers angle in EP II, have enjoyed the prequels and continue to watch them often. I hope VII, VIII, and IX are made but not the expense of all the effort that has sprung forth.

Elliejabbapop
05-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Star Wars was never dead for me. Zahn is boooring!!!!:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: How could he expand the universe without the original cast? They're a bit to old even for the books that were written to "expand the universe". I hope you're not suggesting he should pick new people to play Luke & co.: how horrid!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You know, I liked the love story, even though George could have put a bigger effort into it, I agree about that, but the only SW expanded universe books I liked were the Kevin J. Anderson trilogy and the one by Dave Wolverton (love it). The rest is boring.

arctangent
05-26-2004, 07:34 AM
If George ever decided to do 7, 8, and 9, I'd like to see him write the story, not use an already existing "opinion" of what supposedly happens after ROTJ (the expanded universe books and stuff, which I dont really follow all too much since I view them as more opinion than truth, though I do like some of the EU stuff).

the eu books are hardly an 'opinion' seeing as the lucas empire keeps such tight control over what gets written and goes to such great lengths to ensure the books all tie up together and there are no glaring 'mistakes' in the history beyond rotj.

i think to ignore the writings of the eu books would alienate a huge number of fans - 'hey you sold us all these books to tell us what happens next and you lied'. i personally was annoyed by the fact that boba fett's history was revealed in the 'bounty hunters tales' book and then they went and changed that history in aotc so that it all tied up in a nice little bundle.

Makes since that this would happen. Lucas said way back when I was a wee lad that there would be 9 chapters to Star Wars.

originally there were suppose to be 9 'chapters' in the original story but chapters 4 to 9 were amalgamated together into the story of the ot. as far as i am aware, rotj was the end of lucas' story, with the redemption of darth vader and luke becoming a jedi, so there are no episodes 7, 8 and nine. if they were going to make them, they would have to use the existing stories of what happened after or start from scratch

Just because Peter Mayhew is signed on for VII, VIII, IX doesn't mean he will appear as Chewbacca. Maybe he would appear as another wookie. If it does happen, I certainly hope that Lucas is respectful enough to all the people that put the effort into expanding his universe that he wouldn't totally disregard the many storylines that made it possible to revitalize interest in Star Wars to begin with.

i doubt mayhew is the only one signed up for those episodes. i am sure they probably do it as a matter of course. i doubt, however, that they would be able to entice mark hammill, harrison ford or carrie fisher to return to the star wars universe and without them, what's the point?

Jay86
05-26-2004, 02:15 PM
the eu books are hardly an 'opinion' seeing as the lucas empire keeps such tight control over what gets written and goes to such great lengths to ensure the books all tie up together and there are no glaring 'mistakes' in the history beyond rotj.
I realize they keep such "tight control" over the material. But do Lucas and co. write the books? No, they dont. Its individual authors who do, not George Lucas himself. The authors just get the permission to use the characters Lucas created. And true the story might tie together and whatnot, but its just as you said -

"i personally was annoyed by the fact that boba fett's history was revealed in the 'bounty hunters tales' book and then they went and changed that history in aotc so that it all tied up in a nice little bundle"

My point exactly. Thats proof that any part of the EU stories can be "opinion" more than anything else (note the parentheses around the word, I'm not directly saying its opinion but I dont really see it as truth either). The authors who sit down and write the books are writing down their "opinion" or 'not-quite-the-truth-but-sort-of-the-truth, an interpretation if you will, of what happens in the given time period of the story itself. Lucas and co. can veto most anything if they wish, just as they did with Boba Fett and his past history. They have the rights to the characters, the authors however dont. And my saying that the EU books and comics and whatnot are more opinion than truth is itself an opinion, therefore, it cant really be wrong.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Is there really any truth to Star Wars anyway since it is fiction in the first place? :crazed:

It also seems that nothing is safe or set in stone in the star wars universe, as GL and Co. change it at will. :ermm:

:)

arctangent
05-27-2004, 04:12 AM
I realize they keep such "tight control" over the material. But do Lucas and co. write the books? No, they dont. Its individual authors who do, not George Lucas himself. The authors just get the permission to use the characters Lucas created. And true the story might tie together and whatnot, but its just as you said -

"i personally was annoyed by the fact that boba fett's history was revealed in the 'bounty hunters tales' book and then they went and changed that history in aotc so that it all tied up in a nice little bundle"

My point exactly. Thats proof that any part of the EU stories can be "opinion" more than anything else (note the parentheses around the word, I'm not directly saying its opinion but I dont really see it as truth either). The authors who sit down and write the books are writing down their "opinion" or 'not-quite-the-truth-but-sort-of-the-truth, an interpretation if you will, of what happens in the given time period of the story itself. Lucas and co. can veto most anything if they wish, just as they did with Boba Fett and his past history. They have the rights to the characters, the authors however dont. And my saying that the EU books and comics and whatnot are more opinion than truth is itself an opinion, therefore, it cant really be wrong.

i sort of shot myself in the foot there, didn't i! i just feel that they have gone too far down the path of what happened afterwards for them to change what has been written - i don't have all the books but certainly some of them and i would feel very cheated if they suddenly turned around and said sorry, thats not what actually happened at all. really it went like this. it would have been better not to allow the books to have been written. as for the boba fett thing, the story was really good and i don't really see why they couldn't work it into the film somehow. in fact i think it lessens the mystery of the character somewhat to know what happened to him when he was a child.

i do undertsand what you are saying, Jay86, and as you say its your opinion and you are entitled to it. what i would point out though is that for tesb and rotj lucas had lots of help writing the screen plays and both films were directed by someone else but they are still seen as part of the star wars cannon and not frowned on as lesser films just because george lucas didn't write or direct them himself. in fact, as many people have mentioned several times on this site, its a shame he didn't go down the same route with the prequels

Jay86
05-27-2004, 01:59 PM
"what i would point out though is that for tesb and rotj lucas had lots of help writing the screen plays and both films were directed by someone else but they are still seen as part of the star wars cannon and not frowned on as lesser films just because george lucas didn't write or direct them himself."

I realize what you're saying too arctangent, but the way I view it is that Episodes 5 & 6 were all part of the larger picture Lucas had already drawn, the use of other people to help write the screenplay and all was more of a way to elaborate a vague vision that was already there. As for the prequels, I'll admit they could have been slightly better, but I watched Episode 2 last night and I didnt have a problem with most of the dialogue, sure there were a few things I would change and all, like the droid factory scene with that ridiculous looking flying droid that grabs 3PO, and the whole part with 3PO getting his head replaced, but all in all it was a great film in my opinion. Same thing with Episode 1, at first I didnt care for it but it really grew on me, and there are a few things I would change with that film as well if I could, but I cant, so I make the most of whats there. In the end though what we all need to try and remember most of the time is that its all just opinions really, theres no real truth to how good or bad anything is, its all in the eyes of those who see it.

JEDIpartner
05-27-2004, 02:57 PM
I will agree with you there Jay86! I think there could have been some aspects of TPM that could have been better; far fewer aspects of AOTC but I enjoy them both. I actually like AOTC almost as much as I like ESB. Truth be told, ROTJ is my least favourite of the 5 thus far. TPM ranks barely ahead of it. Still... I enjoy ROTJ inspite of the goofiness of it.

BTW... I liked this: "Bored Of the Rings" should be the next Lord of the Rings movie :lol:

Jay86
05-27-2004, 03:07 PM
I will agree with you there Jay86! I think there could have been some aspects of TPM that could have been better; far fewer aspects of AOTC but I enjoy them both. I actually like AOTC almost as much as I like ESB. Truth be told, ROTJ is my least favourite of the 5 thus far. TPM ranks barely ahead of it. Still... I enjoy ROTJ inspite of the goofiness of it.

BTW... I liked this: "Bored Of the Rings" should be the next Lord of the Rings movie :lol:
Heh thanks :D

arctangent
05-28-2004, 04:28 AM
jay86, i do like the two prequel films. as pieces of pure entertainment, which is why i go to the cinema, they are great imo. there are many who post on these boards that don't share that view but as you pointed out, its only everyone's opinions and luckily other peoples' opinions don't spoil my enjoyment of star wars. i was arguing just for the fun of it ;) !

the boba fett thing really does bother me though :frus: !

Deoxyribonucleic
05-28-2004, 11:12 AM
the boba fett thing really does bother me though :frus: !

I agree wholeheartedly on that one...I really enjoyed that story in Tales from Jabba's Palace. As far as reality goes in the star wars universe, it was convincing and believable because Fett was known as the biggest, baddest bounty hunter in the galaxy and so he must have some "special" something that others do not and if it just so happens that it is his cunning, skill and armor, I'm all for it! I loved that story and that's the one I stick too! AOTC made Boba out to be a whiny little child and a clone?? I choose to forget I even saw that. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
05-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Are you discriminating against clones, Deoxy?

Jay86
05-28-2004, 12:27 PM
I agree wholeheartedly on that one...I really enjoyed that story in Tales from Jabba's Palace. As far as reality goes in the star wars universe, it was convincing and believable because Fett was known as the biggest, baddest bounty hunter in the galaxy and so he must have some "special" something that others do not and if it just so happens that it is his cunning, skill and armor, I'm all for it! I loved that story and that's the one I stick too! AOTC made Boba out to be a whiny little child and a clone?? I choose to forget I even saw that. ;)I dont recall Boba seeming "whiny" in AOTC, he seemed more like a somewhat mysterious mean spirited kid who loved to see his dad blow people up (the part where he gave that evil "hehehe" laugh in the Slave 1 after Jango was about to blast Obi-Wan into pieces). I think the part where Jango is killed and Boba felt sad is very fitting, if you think about it it kind of add's to the anger he probably feels and has built up inside of him, not particularly to any one person, but just as a person in general. And the part about him being a clone was sort of interesting, because even though we see Boba and we know how he was born and all, theres still a lot we dont know about him, like what he does after Jango is killed. Well sure we loosely know what happens but as far as details go things are very vague, we just know he grows up to take his fathers place as the most feared bounty hunter in the universe, but in terms of "where did Boba go after he left Geonosis?" and other questions along those lines, its not really known. Its times like now that I wish I had read all of that book though, I was about to way back in 5th grade, a year or so after I got into Star Wars, I read part of it but not the part about Boba :ermm: . I think I'll go out and pick that one up though, since theres obviously a good amount of Boba Fett knowledge I'm missing.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Are you discriminating against clones, Deoxy?

Awwww, dagnabbit! Ya got me!

2-1B
05-30-2004, 12:20 AM
Just as long as you don't discriminate against Plastinated People.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Just as long as you don't discriminate against Plastinated People.

My favorite!

;)