PDA

View Full Version : Red and Gold groups

Arrogant Arse
04-27-2004, 12:37 PM
I was watching Star Wars IV, and thought to myself, "self, why are the two flight groups red and gold, and not yellow & blue or green & orange or any other color?" After thinking bout this for some time, I came to these conclusions:

1. I really need to get out and think about something else

2. Didn't George Lucas go to USC, whose colors are Red & Gold? Did lucas pick those colors to honor his alma mater? If this is true, it Makes me glad he didn't go to Northwestern, whose colors are black & purple.

Any thoughts?

AA

IMFETTUP
04-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Um, interesting thought Arrogant. I know when my dad was on a submarine, the rotation of the teams were assigned the colors of blue and gold teams. When one was in, the other was out. I would have to believe that these colors are mearly random.

jjreason
04-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Interesting, AA. In the novellization, the groups are Blue and Red which would go against your theory. The fact that GL did not write the book (it was apparently ghost written by Alan Dean Foster) however, makes me wonder if GL changed it for the movie in support of USC. Should have been Blue and Maize groups, no? :D

mabudonicus
04-27-2004, 02:05 PM
And also the "support" wings in the book are green and yellow....

I always thought it was funny how red became rouge became rogue somehow, at some point... it's an obvious mistranslation (or maybe lack of translation is more accurate)

Red and Gold, could be some sort of sly communist or marxist reference, as red and gold also seem to show up on a lot of flags from those type countries

hmmmmmm......

Good question AA.... I think your first thought isprobably the correct answer :beard:

Oh, and those STANSE tickets should arrive someday,AA, as the mercury rises the boys are softening up for a big summer tour :D

dr_evazan22
04-27-2004, 02:24 PM
I don't know if they had green screen then, but they did have blue screen. I think it was too difficult for the FX team to use green, since blue is a component.

I was looking thru my latest copy of Ent. Weekly yesterday and saw that there was some purple screen used on some movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-27-2004, 05:34 PM
I think for ANH, anyway, the group's name was also the color on the ships. X-wings have a lot of red, so Red Squadron. Y-wings have some yellow or gold, so Gold Squadron.

In ESB, the airspeeder pilots are in Rogue Squadron, which is also apparently the X-wing pilots in some books. In ROTJ, X-wings are Red, A-wings are Green, and B-wings are Blue (I think), though that doesn't really work for color scheme. Maybe that's why the Target A-wing was green?

Rogue II
04-27-2004, 08:31 PM
I was watching Star Wars IV, and thought to myself, "self, why are the two flight groups red and gold...?"

And yet they all wear ORANGE

JediTricks
04-28-2004, 07:40 PM
I don't know if they had green screen then, but they did have blue screen. I think it was too difficult for the FX team to use green, since blue is a component.

I was looking thru my latest copy of Ent. Weekly yesterday and saw that there was some purple screen used on some movie.
I believe this is specifically why Blue group was changed to Gold group.

JabbaJohn, I believe the ROTJ groups had mixing of the vehicles, but I could be wrong. The way you have it would make more sense, but having the Falcon being a group leader would sorta hinder that.

In the ANH dogfight, IIRC Red Group was initially cover and distraction while Gold Group made the first attempt on the exhaust port.

Kidhuman
04-28-2004, 09:48 PM
SHould of went with Pinstripes and Houndstooth patterns IMO. :beard:

JediTricks
04-29-2004, 05:32 PM
"Plaid group, Tweed group, all fighters follow me!" just doesn't have the same ring to it. ;)

scruffziller
04-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Lavander and Puce FLANK 'em!!!!!!!!!!!:D

That didn't sound right....................:eek:

Kidhuman
04-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Houndstooth Squadron..SIC 'EM

Sounds ok to me. :beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Just for kicks, here's the names of the pilots (according to Red 6):
BATTLE OF YAVIN
*Red Leader - Garven "Dave" Dreis
*Red Two - Wedge Antilles
*Red Three - Biggs Darklighter
*Red Four - John D/Dee
*Red Five - Luke Skywalker
*Red Six - Jek Porkins
*Red Seven - Elyhek Rue
*Red Eight - Bren Quersey
*Red Nine - Lieutenant Naytaan
*Red Ten - Theron Nett (in briefing room, says Wedge's line)
*Red Eleven - Hol Okland
*Gold Leader - Jon "Dutch: Vander
*Gold Two - Tiree
*Gold Three - Ryle Torsyn
*Gold Four - Lieutenant Lepira
*Gold Five - Davish "Pops" Krail ("Lost Tiree, lost Dutch")
*Gold Six - Lieutenant Wenton Chan

It also says that during ROTJ, Y-wings were gray squadron (they have the helmet from the Target A-wing pilot figure), A-wings were green squadron, the Falcon and B-wings were gold squadron, and X-wings were Rogues (I think). So there you have it.

JediTricks
04-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Lando refers to the X-wings in ROTJ as "Red group", I don't remember anybody saying "Rogue group". Also, there's no way the B-wings were the main force in Gold group, as Lando calls for Red group and Gold group to follow him into the Death Star and all we see are X-wings and A-wings behind the Falcon. We do know that Lando in the Falcon is Gold Leader, and Wedge is Red Leader in that battle.

"Good shot, Herringbone three!"

Arrogant Arse
04-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Okay, instead of Colors, or fabric patterns:rolleyes: , Why not Shirts & Skins?:D

It could be that the Y-Wings are shirts and X-Wings are skins,

It'd be Great!!!

Oh wait, that'd mean Porkins was a skin:speech: :speech: :speech: :speech: ...uh...nevermind.

AA

P.S. sorry for that visual:ermm:

scruffziller
04-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Dude that was too hilarious!!!:D

IMFETTUP
04-30-2004, 04:34 PM
What about the burberry group?:beard:
Okay, instead of Colors, or fabric patterns:rolleyes: , Why not Shirts & Skins?:D

It could be that the Y-Wings are shirts and X-Wings are skins,

It'd be Great!!!

Oh wait, that'd mean Porkins was a skin:speech: :speech: :speech: :speech: ...uh...nevermind.

AA

P.S. sorry for that visual:ermm: