PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro, You really should read this !

DarkArtist
04-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Dear Hasbro,
As many of you are aware, your ideas on cancelling product time and time again, and then just releasing old product that no one wants, is not a smart move. I know that the company is drivin to make money and produce the best solutions in order to achieve the goal of profit, however you should focus more on the idea of making decent product and listening to your fan base.
Perhaps you have read threads like this before, but take it from someone who knows about the Toy Industry as well as marketing and research, The fans and buyers are the ones who are your profit. Since you have secured the rights to produce Star Wars to the year 2018 perhaps you should think of granting the favor of your buyers and produce the ideas that are presented here within these forums. If you need proof of this just look at the responses from your Fan's Choice figure. Your product does not need to be altered every time with flash gimmicks, and your packaging does not need to be changed every three months. Take a clue from the vintage Kenner Line, the only thing that changed over the years that the line resided with Kenner was the logos on the package.
If you truly want to make profit on Star Wars till 2018, make the product that the fans want. Focus on new figures, new vehicles and ships, Expanded Universe - since there are many sources to expand upon, figures from the movies that haven't been made, and lastly focus on the resculpts - only after every other avenue has been sought out.
LISTEN TO YOUR FANS AND YOU CAN'T GO WRONG. :classic:

Kidhuman
04-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Yes Hasbro listen to us. If we are telling you what we want, why not make it? If we want a decent sized Sandcrawler, make it. If we want a carded Paploo make it. If we want young Owen and Beru, make them. We are basically saying we want to give you maoney, just make the damned figures. How lame is that? Basic supply and demand. You got the demand, give us the supply.

evenflow
04-29-2004, 09:21 AM
I think the problem is that Hasbro really doesn't listen to us very often. If they did we wouldhave already had a Yarna figure.

Droid
04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
I am more cynical I guess. I think that Hasbro continues to make money with the way that it does things so it does not change. For all of the complaining about recarding, new packaging, and resculpts, many of us buy them. I think Hasbro is piecemealing what we want to us. If there were 100 different characters it could produce why release them all in 5 years when you could space it out over 20, filling out the rest of the line with resculpts and repackages? Why give us the perfect Sandcrawler now when it could put out a crappy one now, which we would all buy, and then put out a perfect one in a few years, which we would all buy again? Hasbro knows we want young Owen and Beru and Yarna, but they're going to make us wait. Why put out Paploo on a card when it can pack him in with a two vehicles we already had, thus making us buy them again? Sure Red Leader sucks, but people buy him and then if Hasbro ever resculpts him we'll buy that too. But I have to admit, if Hasbro had already put out all of the figures I wanted I wouldn't be buying anymore resculpts or recards. I'd just stop paying attention. There is genius in Hasbro's evil; it just makes us angry. Hasbro knows we are addicts and that it can do whatever it wants and we will just come back for more. Unfortunately, we will have to voice our opinion with our dollars not with our mouths. Ironically though, if we stop buying the product Hasbro may take it as an indication the line is dying and stop producing it. Eesh, I have been rambling.

mtriv73
04-29-2004, 06:29 PM
I just want a decent R5-D4.

I really think they should sell some of the more obscure figures like Yarna as fan club exclusives or only through online merchandisers like EE and Kebco. If enough preorders aren't taken then they don't make the figure. It's as simple as that. I'm sure there are more than enough people willing to plunk down $10 for an exclusive like that. As far as the fan choice figures, remember that Hasbro got burned by overproducing the blue guy from the cantina (his name escapes me right now) and Amanaman. Both languished on the shelves for many many months before being clearanced out of existence. I think they took this lesson to heart and really cranked down production of Ephant Mon.

I really couldn't care less about the sandcrawler that was supposed to come out this year. If we got an all new one I would buy it in a second, but I have no interest in something that underscaled. I really can't believe they are rereleasing the old x-wing sculpt. I realize they are aiming for hooking kids on the toys (with the release of the trilogy on DVD) and smaller toys may be easier to sell (less cost/space to take up), but this is definitely a step in the wrong direction. Then again the red leader x-wing wasn't exactly a step in the right direction either.

I hope Hasbro has a plan for this line and I hope it works. I would love to see new star wars product made for years to come, but the way the line seems to be going now it's going to die a quick and ugly death in 2006.

Kidhuman
04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
MTRIV, the only problem with that is it takes alost a yearto make the figure. SO hasbro would need to wait until enough preorders were taken and then we would have to wait a year.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Hasbro has not shown good business sense with this line in some time. Why they are not put out by the fact that no stores seem to be stocking their product is beyond me. If it's the stores' fault, why isn't Hasbro after them about those empty pegs, which could be toys being sold to the people who want them? If it's Hasbro's fault (which seems more and more likely) how long is it going to be before the stores say, "we've allocated these pegs for toys you are not sending us. These pegs represent lost income. If you can't send us the product, we'll fill those pegs with product from someone else."

Remember when the modern SW line began? We were offered a free figure from Fruit Loops, a free figure from Lays Potato Chips, mail in exclusives regularly from the SW Fan Club, and even the online exclusive B'Omarr Monk which was offered to us by Hasbro through Hasbro. Why can't Hasbro start up a mailing list and ask us to send in out top twenty most wanted figures, and then make the top twenty from all of those lists as online exclusives realeased over a year or so. They can minimize the packaging and distribution worries that would come with these characters of questionable mass appeal, and still make money. Why not give us the Sandcawler this way?

In their favor, they have offered us some decent stuff such as the screen scenes, the ultras, and the wide variety of characters in the Saga line. But, what good are all of these figures if most of us can't find them? I haven't found a new figure in months. The two TRUs within driving distance from me recently restocked the AOTC Preview figures, though I did find the clone trooper 3-pack w/the yellow clone trooper that I needed for $7.95. But I should have been able to find that 3-pack back in Decemeber.

DarkArtist
05-02-2004, 04:06 PM
That would be to easy B'Moaor Monkey. Hasbro doesn't have the brains to bring back a good idea like mail in's. In another thread posted last year I had the Idea for an online Hasbro's Collector's Society Website. Basically, the idea was for Hasbro to have a modern website with up to date product for direct buying and give fans a chance to put those annoying Jedi master Points to work. The price for this would be a membership fee of $19.95 a year and with that membership fee have the chance to have a exclusive figure of their likeness made by hasbro. The figure would cost roughly $25.00 and also the person would have to send in close to 1000 jedi master points. It sounds impossible but Hasbro with smart marketing and advertsing could pull this off.
As an added bonus all those annoying exclusives that aren't picked up, the Sandcrawler, second wave of cantina sets and added others that will mostly likely not get picked up. :crazed:

Kidhuman
05-02-2004, 04:53 PM
I dont care how Hasbro does it, But I want the second wave of Cantina ALiens. I would go to their distribution center and look for them myself if I had to.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-03-2004, 05:23 PM
I dont care how Hasbro does it, But I want the second wave of Cantina ALiens. I would go to their distribution center and look for them myself if I had to.

I'll help.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 02:21 AM

Let's go!!

Kidhuman
05-04-2004, 06:08 AM
SOunds like the Lynch Mob is set Hasbro........Whatcha goona do when SSG forumites run wild on you??????????????????????????

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Everyone, grab your pitchforks and burning clubs in Simpsons fashion yayyyyyyyyyyy!

Kidhuman
05-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Everyone, grab your pitchforks and burning clubs in Simpsons fashion yayyyyyyyyyyy!

I cant get the image of Moe out of my head now. Its from "The Angel" Epsiode, and they were burningeverything, he was in the museum and the Willie Mammoth fell on him. :beard:

jedi master sal
05-13-2004, 04:36 PM
I've heard that lame theory on how it takes a year to make a figure.

Well it doesn't play with me.

For YEARS we've been saying we want:
R5-D4
Yarna
2nd wave of Cantina sets
NEW Sandcrawler

etc....

Even at just one of those items a year we'd finally get them. So why not step up to the plate Hasbro and bring these things out.

Also, what a freakin' tease on that last wave of Action Fleet.

I was foaming at the mouth for the Jedi Starfighter, Mon Cal Cruiser and Star Destroyer, not to mention Zam's Speeder, Anakin's Speeder and the Homing Spider droid.

Boy did you drop the ball big time on those. I know I wuld have bought a fleet (at least 10) of the Star Destroyers (had I seen them), a few Mon Cal Cruisers and at least 4 Jedi Starfighters.

I think the average collector would have bought at least one of each of those mentioned and certainly more than that in many cases.

I've gpne on and on about this many times but the kids are not the buyers here. We the collecting community are. Sure there may be a percentage if kids who buy and I know your trying to gain future consumers by appealing to them, I get it. But in the meantime, you shouldn't cut off the hand that feeds you. I am fully confident that you know where the real purchasing lies. It's not the kids but rather the 20 and 30 somethings, right now.

Why should we have to BEG for a certain figure that for years we've asked for. All you've done in thi is tick off alot of collectors. While there are those who will collect most everything, it seems alot of people are opting to collect only what they like. You have to have seen this by now. Yes, we get it that every once in awhile you want to put out core characters to give new collectors/kids a chance to own the figure, but still, there are those few as mentioned above that get ignored. I for one am very tired of the Sandcrawler cropping up every other year only to be pushed back into oblivion. Either put it out or axe the danged thing for good! I think you can see that many of us who really want that vehicle have started to part ways with the lame vintage mold. You are capable of so much more as we've seen with many other vehicles and ships. Yes, we get it that it would cost more to make an all new vehicle and that in turn would mean more of an expense for the consumer in the long run. With this particular vehicle you may need to think "outside the box". For instance you could make it in two halves, that when connected make the whole but still allow for it to be opened up to make a big playset. If it were "cut' right down the middle from fore to aft it wouldn't affect the wheels of the vehicle.

Okay so that's just one way of doing this.

There was I remember from last year a 4 sectioned sandcrawler mentioned.

True many stores don't want to get nailed on large ships like they have in the past. Okay so here's a novel idea, don't sell it so high. So you don't make as huge of a profit as you would like, what profit are you making from the sandcralwer right now? NONE, because you haven't produced it for us to buy.

Now, if you insist on using the lame vintage mold, at least have the decency to include electronics and a couple figs. Make it worth while! Sure the price point will be a little higher but it gives us more incentive to buy a 25 year old toy...

Okay, I grow tired of these endless pointless rant, even though I contribute to them myself as well.

Somebody wake me when Hasbro actually responds to these pleas...

-Sal

Banthaholic
05-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I'll really think Hasbro will take down the SW line on there own stupidity.

Look at the OTC line, all the dang re-releases. Sure they might please kids, new collectors, and carded collectors. Although for the most part they're ticking off some off their most loyal customers.

Just look no further than our own backyard, SSG and then at other boards. They're getting dry. Sure we still have some good threads going, but for the most part, people are getting fed up with collecting, and what is left to collect isn't getting the most praises. How many rant threads are previlent?

Hasbro, wake up a bit. There can't be that much brain drain that continued re-releases are the only way. I'm a life-long fan, and collector and for the most part a completist I myself am having a hard time buying any more of the continued garbage, and am for the first time in my life rethinking collecting. Although that seems to be what you want, because everything that you're doing makes it look like you want to drive out the long-term collectors.