PDA

View Full Version : Clamshell revealed

Kidhuman
04-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Over at GH they have a picture of the new clamshell that will be surrounding the VOTC line. You know what to click for the link. :beard: :beard: :beard: (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/2708-OTClukeholo.jpg)

Third one is the charm :beard:

Turbowars
04-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Over at GH they have a picture of the new clamshell that will be surrounding the VOTC line. You know what to click for the link. :beard: :beard: :beard: (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/2708-OTClukeholo.jpg)

Third one is the charm :beard:How do you do that Kid? Linking that smilie to that pic?

Reefer Shark
04-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Pretty damn cool! I'm really happy that we are getting clamshells with these figures.

I wonder how many people are going to find a way to put these clamshelled figures in extra clamshells ???

The only thing that I don't really dig is the sticker on the front. I think it might have been better imbossed, or just plain.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2004, 01:11 AM
I wonder how many people are going to find a way to put these clamshelled figures in extra clamshells ???

hahhahhahaaaaaaahhahhahhhhhhhhhhhhhahahhahhahah

I'm not sure why, but when I read that line I laughed...and laughed and laughed and laughed!

I can't wait to get my hands on these figures, it's so nice to have a whole line dedicated to the OT and not be infected by the virus of the prequels.

arctangent
04-30-2004, 04:34 AM

I'm not sure why, but when I read that line I laughed...and laughed and laughed and laughed!

hey, you can never have too much protection, right :eek: !

these figures look really nice but i am seeing some outrageous prices being quoted for them here in the uk - one supplier has them up for 14.99 each, which is about $24 per piece and that's just too damn expensive in any language :ermm: !

Kidhuman
04-30-2004, 06:48 AM
How do you do that Kid? Linking that smilie to that pic?

When you hit post hyperlink, type in the code for the smilie, hit enter and then post a link in the next box.

arctangent
04-30-2004, 07:11 AM
When you hit post hyperlink, type in the code for the smilie, hit enter and then post a link in the next box.

ah ha, a very cunning stunt, kh ;) !

JEDIpartner
04-30-2004, 09:29 AM
They will be ugly at retail but great once you get them home and on display!

Reefer Shark
04-30-2004, 11:19 AM

Ha ha! Right on, I'm happy to provide a laugh!!

You know it's true though... I'll bet even now, collectors are searching for bigger clamshells. Hell, they make clamshells for McFarlane figures (and those are already in clamshells).

The :beard: links are great KH. You've found a nice use for the :beard: .

sith_killer_99
04-30-2004, 11:49 AM
I think the clam shells are hidious! I much prefer the Star Case. I will probably pull mine out of that ugly clamshell and place it in a proper SC!

Anyway, thanks for the link!

Clamshell for a clamshell, that's just funny! :alien:

Ric Olie
04-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Aren't these figures going to be 9.99 each? If so I won't be buying any until they get marked down.

sith_killer_99
04-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Aren't these figures going to be 9.99 each? If so I won't be buying any until they get marked down.

Then you probably won't be buying any. These are supposed to be a limited run. Also, given the nature of these, you can bet Non-SW collectors will be snatching these up. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Then you probably won't be buying any. These are supposed to be a limited run. Also, given the nature of these, you can bet Non-SW collectors will be snatching these up. :(
Hasbro said that these should be available for a few months, so hopefully everyone can get them.

As an opener, these clamshells aren't really my thing. I might buy one or two vintage figures to keep on the card, but these are better when opened, I think. What would I do with the clamshells?

Hellboy
04-30-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm a bit disappointed in the clamshell. I don't like the sticker either and like sith killer I'll probably put mine in Star Cases instead. :dis:

Kidhuman
04-30-2004, 08:52 PM
What would I do with the clamshells?

Stuff em and bake em. Sounds good to me. :beard:

B'Omarr Monkey
04-30-2004, 09:27 PM
They're totally unnecessary, and they're going to mean less shelf space on the racks at the stores. I wish Hasbro would forget gimmicks like this, and do something about distributing their product so we can find it.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2004, 09:35 PM
it'd be cool if you got one free with the purchase of the dvd set!

I know ,I know, stop your uncontrollable laughter people, it was just a far fetched wish ;)

Turbowars
04-30-2004, 09:45 PM
They're totally unnecessary, and they're going to mean less shelf space on the racks at the stores. I wish Hasbro would forget gimmicks like this, and do something about distributing their product so we can find it.These wont be on the pegs long enough for this to be a problem.:p

Kidhuman
04-30-2004, 09:56 PM
it'd be cool if you got one free with the purchase of the dvd set!

I know ,I know, stop your uncontrollable laughter people, it was just a far fetched wish ;)

Or maybe one with a new Fan Club membership for 200 bucks or something. :D :beard:

JediTricks
05-01-2004, 02:10 AM
For some reason, I didn't expect them to be welded closed, if you want to open these, it seems you're going to have to destroy them at least somewhat. I really hate these now, yet at $5 I'd probably still love 'em.

LTBasker
05-01-2004, 02:51 AM
They don't look welded shut JT?... They look like if you pop the circular tabs at the top, it'll fold apart. I hope that's true..I really don't like the idea of destroying the clamshell like McFarlane/Marvel Legends figures.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-01-2004, 03:15 PM
These wont be on the pegs long enough for this to be a problem.:p

I think that is going to be the problem. Most of us will never see these things, no matter what Hasbro promises. I'm sure there will be plenty of the recarded OTC figures to be found, but none of these sweet vintage versions.

JediTricks
05-03-2004, 07:55 PM
You could be right Basker, but I think those dots will be welded.

CooLJoE
05-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Is it sad that one of the first things I noticed is that they have the wrong Luke Skywalker on that card?

Kidhuman
05-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah, it is, but I think it was just to show the clamshell in some way or another. It would be nice is hasbro did things properly. I dont think they want to show the finished products as of yet

Deoxyribonucleic
05-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Is it sad that one of the first things I noticed is that they have the wrong Luke Skywalker on that card?

It's a mock-up just to show the card, the actual figure that will go on the card is right here. You can also see some other VOTC on Hasbro's website.

jjreason
05-06-2004, 03:00 PM
He is lovely, I was really hoping they would go away from those 2pc sabers, though. Man the tabs that go into the hilts break easily.

Kidhuman
05-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Leave it carded then JJ. Nothing can break then. :beard:

Turbowars
05-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Stop playing with your toys and they wont break.:p

jjreason
05-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah, maybe if I didn't play with my toy so much, my wife would be happier..... :sur:

Kidhuman
05-06-2004, 03:21 PM
I thought it was broke JJ?

Deoxyribonucleic
05-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Yeah, maybe if I didn't play with my toy so much, my wife would be happier..... :sur:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooohh!

as in a long "O" sound

;)

lol

jjreason
05-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Gosh you guys, dirty minded? I meant that by spending so much time with my huge collection of loose Tatooine Luke figures, I can't spend nearly enough time with Jodi on the couch, holding hands and watching endless repeats of "Trading Spaces". We're not into that other stuff. :D

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm 99% sure that is a single-piece saber. The sculpt looks way off though, the hilt looks as much like a stick blender as it does a lightsaber.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-08-2004, 01:05 AM
the hilt looks as much like a stick blender as it does a lightsaber.

HEYYYYYYYY, I think you might have hit something here JT, lightsaber stick blenders for drinks...at my place tonight, the BBQ is ON! Woohoo!

I actually like the two piece sabers, especially if the hilt is metal. Those are some of my favorite accessories yet made! However, I can assume that since they've gone back to the one piece saber with the 2004 releases ie: holo luke, jabba's palace luke, etc, that these OT ones will also be one piece.

bigbarada
05-09-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm not too excited about the clamshells since they are just more junk to fight through before you can get to the figure; but what're you gonna do?

One slight and very minor issue I am having with this idea of Hasbro's to recreate every detail of the vintage card-fronts is that some of the original photos used for certain key characters weren't exactly the best choices. I'm primarily thinking about Ben Kenobi's and Darth Vader's photos from the 1978 cards. Princess Leia's will be fine as long as Hasbro spends some time doing some serious color-correcting. Ben's original card showed some really awkward pose and a yellow lightsaber and Vader was almost a solid black silhouette with a purpleish-pink lightsaber! I don't think anyone would complain if Hasbro just replaced those two reference photos with some better pics from ANH or, in Vader's case, ESB.

JediTricks
05-09-2004, 04:41 PM
HEYYYYYYYY, I think you might have hit something here JT, lightsaber stick blenders for drinks...at my place tonight, the BBQ is ON! Woohoo!

I actually like the two piece sabers, especially if the hilt is metal. Those are some of my favorite accessories yet made! However, I can assume that since they've gone back to the one piece saber with the 2004 releases ie: holo luke, jabba's palace luke, etc, that these OT ones will also be one piece.:D

As for the 2piece sabers, I agree with ya, I prefered those to the classic design, I have a thing for "off" sabers. I haven't had any of these break, but I've seen a lot of reports of it, so it seems like a valid concern for Hasbro to worry about.