PDA

View Full Version : Are TIE Fighters blue or grey?

Stemp Fester
04-30-2004, 02:50 AM
:confused:

I need to have this cleared up, just because it's been irking me for a long time...

I've personally always seen the TIE Fighters (and Bombers, and Vaders TIE) as being grey, and quite a light grey at that. Whenever I watch ANH they always seem grey to me. I haven't actually seen TESB or ROTJ for a while as I don't have the videos (patiently waiting for the DVDs) so I can't recall offhand what colour they are in those films - heck, I can't even remember if there are any TIEs in TESB...

But every TIE I've seen in the shops is BLUE!!! And not even a nice blue. It's a horrid kind of "vomit blue" (if vomit could be blue that is). :crazed:

As it stands, the only thing really stopping me from buying one is the colour. The underscaled wings don't bother me, nothing's really to perfect scale anyway.

So... are they meant to be grey? Or am I just living in my own deluded world and they really are blue and I need to get my vision tested? :ermm:

I mean, Coke does come in an orange can doesn't it? ;)

arctangent
04-30-2004, 04:10 AM
So... are they meant to be grey? Or am I just living in my own deluded world and they really are blue and I need to get my vision tested? :ermm:

I mean, Coke does come in an orange can doesn't it? ;)

yes, you are living in your own deluded world, but i must visit from time to time because this has puzzled me too :crazed: . being old enough to have seen the films first time round the die cast tie fighter that was released at the time was definately grey, as they seem to appear in the films but the imperial ships that hasbro have made do seem to be that nice blue colour (which doesn't bother me particularly). perhaps someone at hasbro is just colourblind or perhaps we are all just living in a bluey-greyish nightmare world :ermm: !

but knowing those wonderful people at hasbro i am sure they have a perfectly logical explanation ;) .

Kidhuman
04-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Metallic blue maybe?

JEDIpartner
04-30-2004, 09:41 AM
The vintage TIE was originally cast in white plastic as they appear as a VERY light grey in the film and I think Kenner didn't know any better. Kenner managed to make Darth Vader's TIE grey in colour. Unfortunately, they used the standard TIE body mounted to the proper solar panels. The TIE colour correction was made when the vehicle was rerelased in the ESB line. A final version came out in the same colour but included "battle damage" stickers.

Personally, I like the blue-grey colour. I think it makes the ship look a bit more ominous. I suppose the colour is LFL approved they've made no fuss over it for a number of years...

Reefer Shark
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Yeah... I seem to remeber that in ANH, the ties were a very light grey. Then they seemed to be a bit darker in ESB & ROTJ. I could be delusional too though :crazed: .

They only thing that has bothered me about the toy Tie colors has been the fact that the Tie, Tie Interceptor, Vaders Tie, and the Bomber are all slightly different in color. Makes it look a little funny when you have 'em next to each other on display.

If they would have made them all the exact same color, we could fix our interceptors with the improved pod from the KB Tie fighter.

sith_killer_99
04-30-2004, 11:44 AM
...thing that has bothered me about the toy Tie colors has been the fact that the Tie, Tie Interceptor, Vaders Tie, and the Bomber are all slightly different in color.

I couldn't agree more!

El Chuxter
04-30-2004, 01:16 PM
If there wasn't a ten-character minimum, I would've replied with merely the word "Stripedy." :D:beard::Pirate:

cubicleslave
04-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Light grey in ANH, and the TIEs in ESB look to be a shade darker grey (but of course, its very dark in space). Hmmm... maybe I should review the space battle scenes in ROTJ again... :rolleyes:

IMFETTUP
04-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Hum, I think they are definitely darker grey in the ESB than in ANH. My question is this, "how the hell can you have a battle damaged tie fighter?" Can anyone answer this question? Or how 'bout when they were telling Jek Porkins to eject? Where's he ejecting to?

Reefer Shark
04-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Or how 'bout when they were telling Jek Porkins to eject? Where's he ejecting to?Ha Ha!! He would eject into the Death Star trench....... which they were trying to blow up.

Those crazy rebels! :crazed:

Bobby Fett
04-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Actually, having Jek eject into the Death Star Trench could have worked okay if they got him aimed at the thermal exhaust port. As small as it looked, he could have plugged it up. It would have been a bit slower than blowing up the Death Star, but I'm sure a constipated Death Star would not operate at peak efficiency! :D

B'Omarr Monkey
04-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Jek Porkins aside, the TIE Fighter color issue is easy to solve. They were light gray, like the Falcon (well, the Falcon is actually more of a dirty white). The reason for this is due to blue screen technology. If they had been blue, they would have been invisible, or had holes in them, much like when your weatherman--excuse me, meteorologits, stands in front of the chroma key screen with his blue tie on and you can see cold fronts moving up his sternum.

There's plenty of behind the scenes archival photos, plus if you saw them when they toured with the "Star Wars: Myth and Pretentiousness" exhibit from a few years ago, you'd see that they were all roughly the same color as an unpainted battleship model kit.

JediTricks
05-01-2004, 02:17 AM
I like the color used on the Galoob Die Cast ship, it's a darker grey-blue color and feels the most authentic to what's onscreen.