PDA

View Full Version : How many of us are openers?

Darth Mina
04-30-2004, 09:21 PM
I started as an opener and then for a while collected everything MOC until some of my figures were damaged in while in storage, and decided to open my figures boy did i feel like a little girl on X-mas. now I usually buy an extra figure to keep close if I really like the package & presentation but rare or not I do open everything even my SA clones

Kidhuman
04-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Not I, everything is sealed MOC or MIB. I have vehicles I have never even looked at.

Darth Mina
04-30-2004, 09:47 PM
I used to be like that then i realized that since i'm not planing on selling my collection i better look at my figures open them and display them in glass cases it's really therapeutic(sp) for me to hold my figures admire the details and even cleaning them :D

Jay86
04-30-2004, 10:06 PM
::Raises hand:: For a good 9/10 years now I've been an opener, always have been, always will be. Only certain figures (like the Silver Clone Trooper) I keep packaged, even the rare ones I open and display, rarity is only rarity til its on my display shelves. Then its priceless.

Darth Mina
04-30-2004, 10:09 PM
I second your opinion

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2004, 10:57 PM
I was a MOC collector and then I'd by extras of each one to open + army builders for dioramas until just recently I started opening a bunch of saga figures and then I was on vacation for 9 days this last week and I opened everything else, exception being a few select ones from each card change.

I did leave all of the orange carded POTF2 figs on their cards...no sense in opening those as I think most of those figures look like crap now compared to their newer counterparts but they do look good on the card. I also keep all my silver figs on cards, my Jorg Sacul and bloody stump luke plus the entire line of commtech figures.

I plan on opening everything else I get from here on out except for the 12 OTC figures that will be released in accordance with the OT on DVD. Those bad boys just need to be kept carded on those vintage cards.

Kidhuman, what do you ever plan on doing with your vehicles in boxes?? Do you at least display the box of them?? It's kinda :alien: to me but hey, each to there own. :) I am curious though whether you display them in their box or what have you.

Sidiously Darth
04-30-2004, 11:18 PM
My name's Sid and I'm an Opener. I've been an opener all my life. Even after joining OA, I continued to open. I've tried keeping items MOC or MIB, even with Star Cases but nothings ever worked. You may think I'm odd or weird but I like myself. Opening is a way of life and I don't think I'll ever change.

JediTricks
05-01-2004, 12:27 AM
I open everything except my Silver Vader & R2, and a few extra Cinema Scenes and such. Opening my figures is the only reason I collect, if I couldn't enjoy these as toys, I wouldn't bother, they'd just be large Trading Cards to me otherwise.

Dr Zoltar
05-01-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm still a MOC collector, but with each passing day I'm becoming closer and closer to opening them. Storing some of these figures and keeping the card mint is a pain.

stillakid
05-01-2004, 12:54 AM
I open everything except for the specially packaged items like the silver figures, Convention Exclusives, and Christmas things.

Reefer Shark
05-01-2004, 12:58 AM
I used to be a MOC collector who bought a few extra figures to open...

Now the tables have fully turned, and I open about 90% of the figures I buy. :D

I have a carded Vader collection that I'll keep going with, and a few vintage and rare items. I also bought an extra set of animated figures to keep sealed 'cause I love the way they look in the package, and I'll probably do the same with the Vintage OTC stuff. But for the most part, it's gotta be opened!!

I owe my turn around to the last time I had to move. Took a look at my collection and said "I have to move all this crap??? ...and keep it mint too?!?!?" Ended up selling most of it.....

Deoxyribonucleic
05-01-2004, 01:38 AM
if I couldn't enjoy these as toys, I wouldn't bother, they'd just be large Trading Cards to me otherwise.

Wow, I like that!

I never thought of it that way, but that's exactly what they are, oversized trading cards (expensive too) ;)

LTBasker
05-01-2004, 02:03 AM
I take the best of both worlds. If it's window boxed I usually buy 2 of each of it so I can keep one in pristine condition, the reason I started doing this was because I realized accessories could be lost, the figure worn out, paint scuffs, etc.. However if I got one to keep in package, then even if my loose sample broke, I could still enjoy how it looked "fresh." :)

If it's a completely sealed box with no window box though, then I just get one since that's the only way to see it at all.

Kidhuman
05-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Kidhuman, what do you ever plan on doing with your vehicles in boxes?? Do you at least display the box of them?? It's kinda :alien: to me but hey, each to there own. :) I am curious though whether you display them in their box or what have you.

I used tyo display them all in the box. TRight now they are in a tote until I get a bigger house. Maybe one day when I have enough room, I will open them all up and display them properly. Alsio want the kids to be older as they would touch everything and knock them over. I do have the figures on the wall(280 of em.). I open my Lego's and display those. The only boxes I have displayted vehicle wise is the Tie Bomber and Hailfire Droid.

Turbowars
05-01-2004, 09:11 AM
I use to never open anything, a 100% carded collector. Now I open a figure that looks worthy, which is rare. At that point I buy 2, got to have a complete carded collection. I open all the Unleashed, a few 12" and ships. So I guess I'm now a 100% carded collector, but open a few extras.

sith_killer_99
05-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Mmmm, I am a bit of both.

I open:

Vehicles
12 inch (the few I own)
Unleashed
Extra favorites 3 3/4 inch figures

I usually buy 3 3/4 inch figs to keep carded, then I buy extras to open, if they are cool. I also buy a bunch of Army Builders to open. :D

B'Omarr Monkey
05-01-2004, 01:52 PM
I open everything.

I started out buying three of everything; one to open, one to keep carded, and one to trade or whatever, but stopped doing this when the Mon Mothma wave came out and I had a hard time finding even one of everything (even when that wave was plentifula and cheap later, I never went back). Now I just buy one of everything, and pick up occassional figures for my kids too.

I used to buy two of each vehicle, until the AT-AT came out, then stopped doing that as some items were expensive, and others too hard to even find one of. All my vehicles after the AT-AT are still boxed, only because I haven't had any place to display them, and this way nothing will get broken. I just hope none of these are missing parts. :eek:

The only figures I have carded right now are the animated style clone wars figures, simply because I really like the packaging. I haven't decided what i'll do about those yet. Even the Ephant Mon I payed $25.00 came right out of the card as soon as he arrived.

Keeping this mint on card is senseless. None of these will be worth more than $10 or so down the line. Anyone expecting these things to reach the values of the vintage figures is out of their mind. How many thousands of these things do you think are out there MOC right now?

This is the same attitude that killed the comics industry about 10 years ago--a lot of speculators hoping that keeping their mint copies of the death of Superman in mylar bags was going to make them money, but since millions of other people had the same idea, they are all worthless. The reason the vintage figures are worth so much is that people opened them and played with them (like me) instead of worrying about how much they'd be worth MOC later.

Kidhuman
05-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Keeping this mint on card is senseless. None of these will be worth more than $10 or so down the line. Anyone expecting these things to reach the values of the vintage figures is out of their mind. How many thousands of these things do you think are out there MOC right now?

Senseless you say??? Well for one, I dont have to paint the walls in this room. The 280+ figures cover it nicely. ALso, I dont keep them that way for money, I happen to think they look great displayed that way. They never lose any weapons or such, dont fall over and behind other things, and look awesome. But thats just me. If I had to keep them boxed up, I would most likely open them to save on space.

B'Omarr Monkey
05-01-2004, 02:08 PM
I've said this on other threads, but this one's a good place to repeat it. Right now, I'm in the midst of packing, and man do those boxed vehicles take up space inside boxes.

On the plus side, all my loose figes, in ziplock baggies with their accessories fit very nicely in one of those approximately 3' x 1' x 1' plastic tubs. That's 600 or so figures in one tiny space. It's heavy as can be, but it's a lot less space on the truck than 600 MOC figures will take up.

The biggest problem I had with displaying my loose figures was the domino effect of one falling over and knocking over a dozen or more other figures. Especially with the ridiculous stances some of them have to be positioned in to stand. I was tempted to have a limbo game diorama with some of them. At my new digs I'm planning on building shelves with step-like elevation on them as well as dowel pegs for the feet holes, so that i don't have to worry about them falling over. I've also taken to leaving the invisible rubber bands on a few of them to get around the weapon drops.

...and KH, as long as you're not doing it as an investment, that's okay. I admit, they do look cool on a wall, but trying to do that with 600, I'd need a barn or something. I had a firend who bought shelving from a Bradlees when they went out of business, and had his MOC figures displayed on the pegs as if it were the best stocked SW aisle on the world. It actually looked really great, especially with the boxed vehicles and Ep 1 display with it.

sith_killer_99
05-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Hmmm, well to each their own. Lots of people like keeping them carded. I for one like collecting carded Non-US packaged figures as well as regular carded figures. Some say Non-US carded figures are worth less money. Who cares, I don't collect for money, nor do I pass judgement on the way anyone else collects. Who am I to tell someone else what is or isn't ok to to with their collection.

The great thing about collections, are that they are all unique to the individual collecting.

Sure, these will never command the $$$$ of vintage, but that is a good thing! How many of us can afford to buy the vintage MOMC? I sure can't. But I will always have my 95-current MOMC. Noone will be able to worm $500.00 out of anyone for a POTF2 OC Stormtrooper. That's good for the hobby. In fact MOMC collectors probably end up doing more good for the hobby than anything.

None of these will be worth more than $10 or so down the line. Anyone expecting these things to reach the values of the vintage figures is out of their mind.

Umm, yeah, I'm pretty sure anyone who has collected Star Wars figures, post EP1 is fully aware of that. :crazed:

Exhaust Port
05-01-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm an opener with a few exclusives and some with cool packaging as the exceptions. If I left everything in the boxes the storage issue would be outrageous. It also seems to be more inviting to visitors to see the figures on display than just stacked in boxes somewhere.

bandon_29
05-01-2004, 05:00 PM
i used to open open all of my figures but then i stopped mostly because of my dad he bought me the potf2 figures when the first came out i didnt even know they were out and i had lost all of my original ones and then i got into it with him collecting he used to go to toys r us for me when i was busy and he would pick up new figures, then he passed away a few years ago so then i stopped opening them mostly because we had so much fun collecting them now i collect them with my older brothr hes 32.so I must say just enjoy your figures opened or closed they are meant to be enjoyed thats what they were built for.:crazed: lol :D

James Boba Fettfield
05-01-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't open Star Wars toys. I have bought doubles of figures in the past to open, but they usually disappoint me. Especially some of the Saga figs I bought to open.

I am more likely to start opening my figures from McFarlane or NECA. Now those beautiful toys are begging to be displayed as conversation pieces. I don't see any SW figure making me feel the same way...maybe the Unleashed line. Basic figures, though....nope.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-01-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm with JBFF. The few Saga figures i've opened disappointed me. Some of the older POTF figures i've opened to do some dioramas for school projects. Oh, the look on teachers faces when i did a compare/contrast of "Star trek II" to "Moby Dick" and then used Han Solo as Kahn and then Darth Vader as Ishamel. :D

I did order a second set of Kill Bill figures (Bride and 3 crazy 88's) to open and display. I also bought an extra Neo and Agent Smith from the Matrix wave 2 last year and those are on display at home. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Like stillakid, I open everything save silver, convention, and Christmas figures. I also have an extra Jorg Sacul that I opened, and carded Episode I Anakin (from CI) and orange Dagobah Luke with short saber on long tray. I'm not looking to sell, I just like them. I save the cards and inserts and they're all in order in two containers, which are now becoming a pain with the huge Ultra cards.

I'm wondering now, what to do with the OTC vintage figures. They look beautiful on the cards, and come in a nice clamshell to keep them pristine and mint. However, they are probably the best figures that have ever been made and beg to be put in dioramas and played with. Though if I open them the clamshell is useless with that huge OTC sticker on the front. I think I'll end up opening them and saving the cards, and maybe if I have enough money or see them enough I'll get carded doubles.

JEDIpartner
05-02-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm an opener. I think not opening ships is a little silly since you can't even see the toy inside the box. LOL :D

Still... I can appreciate anyone who collects and does things for their own reasons. I just prefer enjoying the toys as I don't really see most of them going up in value. Besides... I don't collect them to turn around to make a profit on them. They are going to have to pry my figures from my cold, dead hands!!! :crazed:

sith_killer_99
05-02-2004, 09:53 AM
I think not opening ships is a little silly since you can't even see the toy inside the box. LOL

I agree, but POTJ came along and changed all that, with their flimsy clear plastic "window" boxes. :rolleyes:

They are going to have to pry my figures from my cold, dead hands!!!

Not me, they'll have to burry me with my collection! Who says you can't take it with you! :crazed:

vadersvette
05-02-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm an opener since day one! :D However, I do have some MOC: POTF2 Ben Kenobi (Red Card), Saga Yoda, Silver R2-D2, and Silver Clone Trooper. With the VOTC coming, I am going to buy 2 of the figures I really like, one to open, one to keep MOC. :crazed:

Kidhuman
05-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Not me, they'll have to burry me with my collection! Who says you can't take it with you! :crazed:

Gonna have to be a huge dang coffin for you. :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
05-02-2004, 10:52 PM
100% opener, baby!

jjreason
05-02-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm with JabbaJohnL and Stilla on this one. The only things I have boxed or carded right now are my Xmas sets, a few ships I haven't figured out where to display yet, the silver figures, and Jorg Sacul. Opening is fun, the only problem is sometimes the figure isn't as good as it looked in the package or online.

sith_killer_99
05-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Top reason for keeping 'em carded.

1. Cool conversation piece. "Yes, my collection is worth $100,000,000,000 grovel at my feet!" or "Yes, I have carded figures from the US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Italy, Japan and China." hehehe see the little "made in china" logo. hehehe

2. No need to buy wall paper. :eek:

3. Perfect excuse to buy more figures. "Yes honey, I do have a POTF2 Sandtrooper on Orange Card and Green Card, but I don't have the Freeze Frame version!

JK, of course I have a carded Freeze Frame Sandtrooper in my collection. :D

Darth Mina
05-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Impresive, very impresive, we the openers are outnumbering the MOC I used to think that it was the other way arround

Kidhuman
05-03-2004, 06:31 AM
We are a dying breed. :beard:

IMFETTUP
05-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Great thread and question Mina! I've been collecting since 95 and just recently started opening some of my figures. I only open those that I have doubles or triples of, however. What really swayed my decision was the addition of unleashed figures. You just can't appreciate these unless they are out of the box and set up. The Boba Fett is an example. I also opened up some silver clone troopers I had. The other reason I will open up a figure is when it is on a terrible, beat up card. I would much rather have a mint figure than a mint figure on a card that looks like it was trampled on. Come to think of it, I opened up some cantina band members (12 inch) that I recently found at a collectables store for 9.99. Great figure, terrible box.

Droid
05-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I have always opened everything, but I also kept the packaging. Finally, I just couldn't store everything anymore and threw all of the packaging away. It cut the space by two thirds at least. I have a few items in the package still that turned out to be very rare by the time I found them: a spare Ephant Mon, a tri-logo clean biker scout, a Watto's Box cinema scene, Jar Jar with fish, and R2 with holographic Leia, silver R2, a few other things. Other than that I open everything.

JediTricks
05-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Wow, I like that! I never thought of it that way, but that's exactly what they are, oversized trading cards (expensive too) ;) Thanks, that description just came to me the other day while discussing with someone on the figures.com forums the various facets of SW collecting. I'm not sure if the analogy holds true for every carded collector, but it sure seems like that's what it is for a lot of 'em.

The biggest problem I had with displaying my loose figures was the domino effect of one falling over and knocking over a dozen or more other figures. Especially with the ridiculous stances some of them have to be positioned in to stand. I was tempted to have a limbo game diorama with some of them. At my new digs I'm planning on building shelves with step-like elevation on them as well as dowel pegs for the feet holes, so that i don't have to worry about them falling over. I've also taken to leaving the invisible rubber bands on a few of them to get around the weapon drops. The domino effect has always been the thing that bugged me most about displaying my figures. Oftentimes, it'd only take out like 3 figures but my standing them back up would take out another 4 or 5. I was a real stickler for the figures being able to stand on their own for a long time, but eventually gave up and got an Ultarama stand and some regular disk stands - the cool thing about Ultarama is that the pegs are in no danger of breaking off in the feet (something that occasionally happens with older traditional stands). Even though I live in an earthquake area, I haven't had a lot of falling figures caused by shaking or anything, mostly I accidentally cause the falls by trying to get a figure that's further back. :D I'm usually also just as stubborn about clear-bands holding the weapons in place as I am about no-stands, I think I've only broken my no-bands rule 2 or 3 times so far.

I have always opened everything, but I also kept the packaging. Finally, I just couldn't store everything anymore and threw all of the packaging away. I also do this, and for a while it was the same problem you describe, but once I straightened up, put the cardbacks into the boxes, threw out the bubbles and trays (I didn't keep most of these to begin with, but even the few I did keep took up a lot of space), and flattened the other boxes, the packaging took up only minimal amounts of space. The nesting technique, putting smaller packaging in the larger boxes, really paid off for my 3.75" collecting. Also, to speed up the harvest ;) I have stopped cutting the bubbles off the cards (except for rare circumstances) and generally just rip the bubbles off the cards, making sure to start at the Hasbro logo. :D POTJ with its generic cards broke me of that habit... in fact, I only kept the UPCs on most of my POTJ cards.

stillakid
05-03-2004, 05:48 PM
I still hang onto most of the packaging, though I'm not sure why. It's just part of that sickness which makes me buy this stuff in the first place I suppose. Maybe it's because I only have a scant few of the vintage cardbacks left from days of olde so I'm over compensating or something.

sith_killer_99
05-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Impresive, very impresive, we the openers are outnumbering the MOC I used to think that it was the other way arround

It seems to be about half and half here, I pretty much consider myself a carded collector, though I probably have close to the same number of loose as I do carded (Army Builders really add up).

If you want the real hard core MOMC collecting crowd head over to www.POTF2.com those guys take it to the max!!! It's also one of my favorite hangouts!

I also do this, and for a while it was the same problem you describe, but once I straightened up, put the cardbacks into the boxes, threw out the bubbles and trays (I didn't keep most of these to begin with, but even the few I did keep took up a lot of space), and flattened the other boxes, the packaging took up only minimal amounts of space.

Yeah, I cut off the trays and put the cards (and inserts from Saga) into Comic bags with backers. It's a throw back to my old comic collecting days! POTJ was pretty easy, only a dozen or so total card variations.

vadersvette
05-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Gonna have to be a huge dang coffin for you. :beard:
LOL, they'll have to use a house-sized coffin--I know they will for me! :crazed:
I also do what Droid does and keep the packaging. Except some of my vehicles' boxes from '95 are gone :( But I have a huge stack of figure cards in my drawer! lol

plasticfetish
05-03-2004, 10:23 PM
I open mostly. Toy quality and play value has always been really important to me as a collector. The only way to judge that is to open them up... to feel and smell the plastic. ;) But I love the packaging also. If I could afford it, and if I had the room to store or even display everything, I'd do both. As is, I'll only keep a double of the ones that I like the most carded or boxed. Also trying to keep at least one of every card or box style in my collection.

I'm a total pack-rat when it comes to the card backs and stuff also. I'll open a figure then toss the paper stuff in a drawer for future "reference." Sometime years later I'll go through this one filing cabinet drawer and throw everything away... but it's so hard to do.

Banthaholic
05-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Oops. I don't want to miss my chance to chime in.

I am proud to say, that I am a carded collector. From carded vintage, Ewoks, Droids,POTF-2,Ep1,POTJ, and Saga. I a collect modern vehicles MISB, as well as vintage MISB, as well as alot of other SW related toys.

Why? Like many, I like the way they look carded. I've said it once and forgive me if you've read it before. Carded collectors can become loose collectors in a few minutes time, although for a loose collector to change to carded it takes a ton of money and a lot of time. Maybe the day will come when I go on a rage and rip open everything, but till then locked in their prisons they are.

Although in all honesty it's a good thing that I am a carded collector, because if I was a loose collector I'd prob have to call in sick to work half the time because I'd be at home waging huge SW battles :crazed:

IMO opinion it doesn't matter what type of collector you are. We're all in it for one large reason; the love of the movies.

Darth Mina
05-03-2004, 10:35 PM
IMO opinion it doesn't matter what type of collector you are. We're all in it for one large reason; the love of the movies.
That is absolutly (sp) right :D :D :D :D

Hellboy
05-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Well I used to be a MOC collector only but I started to buy an extra for opening if it was a decent sculpt around 98. Today I still buy one of every basic carded figure and they hang on every wall and almost all the way up my vaulted ceilings in my room devoted to my collection, but I get way more enjoyment out of opening these days. Building a few dioramas really got me into army building and opening in general, now I have multiple shelves of loose SW figures divided into their respective episodes. I put all my figures on REAL action figure stands (the best stands out there for SW figs IMO) so they never fall over and I can put them in cool poses. I've even started to enjoy customizing a bit but I'm still pretty new at it. Still I do agree with those of you who said leaving the figures in their package is a great way to display them, but opening is so much cooler when you have the room to put them out. If I had to store all my loose figures in bins like some of you I probably wouldn't enjoy my hobby as much. Everything in my collection has a place in my room and for me presentation is the key, even if I'm the only one who sees it. The only other thing in my room is my PC and I thoroughly enjoy sitting in there for hours surrounded by toys while I surf the boards here at SSG. Some of my friends have even joked around calling the room my fortress of solitude, which is rather appropriate I suppose.

As far as vehicles go I have a few that I've kept boxed, but only if they have a window box. Other than that I open all my vehicles and Unleashed figures as well. I just don't see the point of buying a cardboard box and never looking inside it. For all you know it could be filled with rocks, you'll never now unless you open it.

evenflow
05-05-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't open anynmore, just dont have the room, easier to keep them in the package and store them in the original cases they ship in.

chrisc
05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
My name is Chris

(hi chris)

I have been a opener for the past six years. I have now gone for two months without opening anything.

The temptation was hard to beat at first but I bet if I could do it so can you.

Val Da Car
05-29-2004, 05:16 PM
I am an opener FINALLY.

I am moved into the new house and finally have room....maybe too much...I am looking at doing dioramas now.....

Is that a problem?

Kidhuman
05-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Yes, Traitor

Ji'dai
05-29-2004, 10:34 PM
I buy doubles of figures like many of you (one to open, one to keep carded), but I haven't been opening anything since the last wave of Episode I.

That will change soon as I need to free up some storage space for new things.

A few Ep. I + all the POTJ, SAGA, & Clone Wars to open... it's gonna be like Christmas!

Val Da Car
05-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Payback is a mother...while some of my stuff was in storage....alot of the cards' edges curled....and I said "oh well"....My wife that it was fun to open them up until I brought in a box with 64 figs and said let's get crackin'!!! lol

InsaneJediGirl
06-06-2004, 10:25 AM
I've been an opener since I started collecting.I would say 90% of everything I have is opened,with the rest in boxes due to rarity/variation/looks better.I dont see the point in keeping them carded,although with the VOTC I would like to have a carded set since it looks quite nice.

Opening gives some more space,and of course playing with your figures is always fun :)

Turbowars
06-06-2004, 10:31 AM
I dont see the point in keeping them carded,although with the VOTC I would like to have a carded set since it looks quite nice. :)Well I guess you see the point now don't you?

B'Omarr Monkey
06-06-2004, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=InsaneJediGirl Opening gives some more space,and of course playing with your figures is always fun :)[/QUOTE]

I always thought that this was the point, Turbo. :)

Kidhuman
06-06-2004, 02:32 PM
There is no point in in opening any of them unless you have doubles.Hang them on a wall, put them in a case, but leave em carded for Petes sake. Its the only way to go. MOC forever.

Turbowars
06-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Opening gives some more space,and of course playing with your figures is always fun :)I always thought that this was the point, Turbo. :)LOL, yes if that's your thing. I don't get a kick out playing with these toys. What I was pointing out was that JediGirl answered her own question.;)

B'Omarr Monkey
06-06-2004, 09:49 PM
I don't play with them either, but like the way they look all standing together loose. It's a sea of plastic SW figures, and really makes it look like a lot of them. Having them on cards just seems a bit sterile.

I haven't opened many of my vehicles, mainly because of limited display space, but have this mild panic in the back of my mind that someday I'm going to open one of them and find it is missing a crucial piece, or worse yet, not even in the box at all, but replaced by some toy no one ever wanted.

Back before the bottom fell out of the comic book industry, there were a group of editors that seriously contemplated putting out one of those prebagged comics with just a cover and blank pages inside.

Even though I don't actually play with them, I am every now and again tempted to set them all up on the floor and engaging them in some humongous battle since there are so many of them. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
06-07-2004, 08:29 AM
I still get those urges with my colossal collection of 80's toys. There's nothing like a 19 year old playing with vintage Thundercats and Silverhawks to keep the ladies at bay.

JediTricks
06-07-2004, 07:50 PM
I still get those urges with my colossal collection of 80's toys. There's nothing like a 19 year old playing with vintage Thundercats and Silverhawks to keep the ladies at bay.
You have a handful of 'em, they say you're cute and ecclectic and unique... you have a thousand of 'em, they call you a creep and run for the hills. ;)

InsaneJediGirl
06-07-2004, 09:19 PM
LOL, yes if that's your thing. I don't get a kick out playing with these toys. What I was pointing out was that JediGirl answered her own question.;)

Actually,The VOTC figures are the only ones to me that look nice the the packaging.Saga,POTF2 etc all have sickly plain cards.Besides,what can you do with MOC figures?Look at them on the wall?Watch the dust grow on the bubbles?To me,its kind of bland and boring to just have everything hanging on a wall ;-)

Turbowars
06-07-2004, 09:30 PM
I don't hang them on the wall.

I like my collection to have a uniform look, not a kids room. By all means do what you want to do, what ever floats your boat. I guess this is just one of those things that will boggle the mind for eternity. The Crazy carded collector vs the sane loose collector. Oh and I rather dust a case than a tiny figure.:p

B'Omarr Monkey
06-07-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm am in complete agreement with you IJG.

The only figures I have carded are the animated Clone Wars figures, mainly because I like the packaging. I have no doubt though, that at some point, once my new displays are made and set up, that they too will be freed from there cardboard and plastic prisons.

Kidhuman
06-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Free no one. Leave em MOC.

aceguide
06-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Free them all - and be sure to play with them too!

dindae
06-10-2004, 08:33 AM
I could contain my urge to open so I do both. 1 to keep carded and 1 to open and 1 to rule them all!

arctangent
06-10-2004, 10:14 AM
i am an opener. i like to see, hear, smell, touch, taste my figures. and stand them on my copious shelves in correct film groupings. i am forced to be an opener because i can't afford multiples of each figure. the only figures i own that are still in their boxes are muftak and kabe, jabba's dancer (whose name escapes me at the moment) with salacious crumb and the mace windu e1 preview figure. the first two of those were somewhat hard to come by in the uk for quite some time and mace i actually have two of and one box was squashed and one was pristine so i opened the squashed box. i am addicted to the feel of the figures though and when i buy a new one i get an overwhelming urge to free it fromn its constraints and let it loose on my collection! bliss!! :)

jedi-cpa
06-11-2004, 07:47 AM
I have my vintage collection out of package (of course) and the new stuff on card, and the fact is they display much better on card...hopefully one day when kids come they respect that...I have the overwhellming feeling that I will come home one day and find my ephant mon and EU Dark trooper locked in a battle with one another at the hands of junior...I will procede to pass out.