PDA

View Full Version : Help! My stomach fell out!

dr_evazan22
05-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I found this on the TLC website...

Man's Stomach Falls Out After Staples Removed
April 30, 2004 George Sternats' first concern on returning home after having surgical staples removed from his abdomen following a stomach operation was to check on his backyard garden.

But instead of gathering some fresh vegetables, the 65-year-old found himself picking up his own stomach that had spilled out when his surgical wound reopened, his partner said on Friday.

"He was looking at how many tomatoes were on, and next minute I heard him scream 'Get the ambulance, my stomach fell out'," Cheryl Orme told reporters.

Sternats wrapped a towel around himself to hold his stomach in while Orme called an ambulance.

"They wanted to know if he had pains in his chest and I screamed at them 'His stomach fell out, he just got staples out from a cancer operation'," Orme recounted.

"What more can you say when your man's stomach's hanging out? Isn't that enough for them to come straight away?"

Sternats, from the northeastern city of Cairns, underwent surgery earlier this month to remove cancerous tumors from his abdomen and the surgical wound was closed with medical staples.

Doctors ordered the staples removed Wednesday morning and the couple returned home shortly after, Orme said.

Sternats was reported to be in stable condition but Orme said she planned to sue health authorities for negligence in removing the staples too soon.

"It's the most horrific thing I've ever seen, especially with someone you love," she said. "Every time I try to sleep I see George holding his stomach in his hands."

That sounds absolutely horrible! Did this guy get no medical advice on what he should and should not be doing? Could doctors not see or know that the wound wasn't sufficiently healed? How much fell out? Did he have to pick up his intestines? Did he get any infections?

LOL, all these questions... Like you guys know the answers :beard: .

JEDIpartner
05-03-2004, 04:49 PM
The CONTENTS of my stomach just fell out!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!

Kidhuman
05-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Gross, that is nasty. Too bad his stomach didnt have a :beard: on it

Dar' Argol
05-03-2004, 10:05 PM
:eek: Checking on his tomatoes??? And then *plop* "Oh look, my stomache . . . . . MY STOMACHE!?!?!?!"

All I can keep thinking of is that poor inspector in Red Dragon . . . .

Lets hope they did'nt accidentally put a tomatoe in there as well . . . ok, I'll stop . . . . I have a stomache ache . . . . :ermm:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Ugh. . . reminds me of a few horror movies I've seen.

I guess with the dreary health care situation in this country, they probably used an office stapler to staple his stomach, after the surgery.

Exhaust Port
05-03-2004, 10:49 PM
EWwwwww....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-03-2004, 11:32 PM
So disturbing and yet i'm suddenly hungry for some lasagna. :)

2-1B
05-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Guyote, right now I'm picturing Sarah's dream sequence about Miguel in Day of the Dead.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Guyote, right now I'm picturing Sarah's dream sequence about Miguel in Day of the Dead.

Oh, that never occured me to C-dog!!! Good thinkin' dude!!! Add in that delightful score to this guy in the article and we have a very Romero-esque scene!! Maybe the doctors were Romero fans? :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 02:59 AM
WOW, I love stuff like that...since the man's alright of course.

You think that's horrible hehe, there's some pictures on a website that's really rotten of this weightlifter who lost something of his in a much more painful way!!

I'm sure some of you here know what site I'm talking about. But that's all I can say. :speech:

;)

Tonysmo
05-04-2004, 04:37 AM
yeah - Ive seen that picture Deox..

and Im still not reeeallly convinced that it happened the way it was described. I think that man may have had that issue before hand, and they may have uh.. dressed it up? gross regardless. Im actually not sure whats worse, the picture, or the description with it..

now we've perked interest eh?

as for someones stomach falling out. It could have been worse.. the ambulance driver pulls up and sees him with his intestines hanging out and says.. " and I thought they smelled bad.. on the outside!"

Tom Araya
05-04-2004, 09:46 AM
LOL...dude!! So was I!!! lol lol lol

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 12:56 PM
as for someones stomach falling out. It could have been worse.. the ambulance driver pulls up and sees him with his intestines hanging out and says.. " and I thought they smelled bad.. on the outside!"

Ahhahahhaha!! :D That was a perfect delivery of that line!

As for the weightlifter guy, I'm going to agree with you that he definitely had that condition before LOL WHooooooaaaaaa!

IMFETTUP
05-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Working in the medical field, what people are instructed to do and what they do when they get home are two different things. The correct term for this is "eviscerate." At any rate, I would have been scared as hell!

dr_evazan22
05-05-2004, 03:56 PM
JMG- I just made lasagna last night! C'mon over! Open invitation to any of you!

Deoxy- I can guess what the weightlifters problem is, but can you send a link? I want to see for myself.

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2004, 11:07 PM
I guess with the dreary health care situation in this country, they probably used an office stapler to staple his stomach, after the surgery.

According to the BBC story I read, this happened in Australia.

As for the weightlifter fellow, I saw that pic at snopes a long while ago. Too bad they never found out the real story behind the picture. Well, at least we all know the story behind the guy losing his arm in a tug of war contest.

Kidhuman
05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
What happened JBF? How did he lose it? :beard:

James Boba Fettfield
05-08-2004, 12:12 AM
The tug of war guys?

On 25 October 1997, a mass tug-of-war contest was held at a park along the Keelung River in Taipei in celebration of Retrocession Day (the 52nd anniversary of the end of the Japanese colonial rule in Taiwan). Over 1,600 participants joined in the contest, exerting over 80,000 kg of force on a 5-cm nylon rope that could bear a force of about 26,000 kg at most.

Within seconds the rope snapped, severing the left arms of two men (Yang Chiung-ming and Chen Ming-kuo) below the shoulder. (The severing of the limbs was believed to have been caused by sheer rebounding force of the broken rope rather than the men's having wrapped the rope around their arms, as was sometimes reported.) The victims were taken to Mackay Memorial Hospital and underwent seven hours of microsurgery to reattach their arms.

www.snopes.com

I love snopes.

Kidhuman
05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Nasty :beard:

James Boba Fettfield
05-08-2004, 12:19 AM
They got a lot of lovely stories at their site, some even have pictures, like the tug of war story. Most of the stories in their horrors section are false, but there's some interesting true ones. Beer floods and elevator decapitations, oh my!

Kidhuman
05-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Thinks me will scope it out.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Dr. E- Sweet!!! We can eat lasagna and watch old zombie movies!! It'll be delightful!! I'll bring some brews!! :D

"On 25 October 1997, a mass tug-of-war contest was held at a park along the Keelung River in Taipei in celebration of Retrocession Day (the 52nd anniversary of the end of the Japanese colonial rule in Taiwan). Over 1,600 participants joined in the contest, exerting over 80,000 kg of force on a 5-cm nylon rope that could bear a force of about 26,000 kg at most.

Within seconds the rope snapped, severing the left arms of two men (Yang Chiung-ming and Chen Ming-kuo) below the shoulder. (The severing of the limbs was believed to have been caused by sheer rebounding force of the broken rope rather than the men's having wrapped the rope around their arms, as was sometimes reported.) The victims were taken to Mackay Memorial Hospital and underwent seven hours of microsurgery to reattach their arms."

Well, hey, at least the doctors were able to reattatch their arms. That surgery must've been tricky. I would sure like to give those doctors "a hand" as i'm sure it must've been intense. I also must "hand" it to the doctors for acting quickly and lastly, i'd like to give a "hand" to the doctors for their quick thinking......k, i'm done with the puns. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
05-08-2004, 01:02 AM
I didn't see the weightlift picture at the site you metioned JBFF, but since you put yours up, I guess it's alright to post the one I was referring to...

edit: changed my mind after seeing basker's post...was weary in the first place anyhoo. :)

I've visited this site for years now, one of my "favs" for sure!! Never a dull moment.

I like the "medical nasties" section especially :evil:

OUCH on the tug-o-war arms. I wonder how long it took them to realize what the heck happened to them :eek:

LTBasker
05-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Rotten might not be a good place to link on SSG....y'know?

dr_evazan22
05-09-2004, 06:02 PM
I've been checking out Rotten since getting it from Deoxy, now I'll have to go over to that new one too. Thanks guys!