PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Fan Club/Hyperspace merger?

JediTricks
05-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Recently, Lucasfilm announced that they had reacquired the Official Star Wars Fan Club after 17 years and were making some significant changes (http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/news/news20040428.html), including:

merging the Fan Club with sw.com's Hyperspace online membership service
renaming it "Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club"
changing publishers on the Star Wars Insider magazine
lowering the issue count on the Insider to 6 per year
raising the cost of membership to $39.95 a year
revamping the membership kit
discounts on certain items and other perks at the official online Star Wars store
discontinuing Insider-only subscriptions
This makes Lucasfilm the 4th company to manage for the Fan Club in as many years. Current members of the Fan Club are not being carried over to the Hyperspace Fan Club, instead being invited to join Hyperspace at full price and treated as Insider Subscribers only until their subscriptions run out, even though members paid $10 more to join the previous Fan Club than Insider-only subscribers.
* Correction, current members of the Paizo-run Fan Club will receive "offline benefits". -JT

So what is the Star Wars fans' take on all of this? Are you excited, are you going to subscribe? Vote now and voice your opinion.

bobafett07728
05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I voted "very dissatisfied", mainly because "it is total bull****" was unavailable. I am looking forward to see how many people have positive things to say about this merger, and hope that they post their opinions. I am having a LOT of trouble finding anything positive about this, and could use the help. Next issue is Paizo's last, I can't wait to see what kind of job Lucas does with my future issues. . . being that I am a "subscriber" and all. What kind of fan club kicks-out their current members, and demands more money to rejoin. . . huh?

Why isn't anyone answering. . . ? OH. . . I see, Lucasfilm are the only people STUPID enough to use such tactics. Total bull****!!!!!!! :( :mad: :frus:

Droid
05-03-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't like spoilers, so I don't care if I read Insider again until after Episode III. Once my subscription runs out, I'll buy it on the newsstand if I want to read it.

I admit, if they do another exclusive figure I'll probably do what it takes to get it.

I don't care if I am ever a "fan club" member again. It just isn't worth it. I think the fan club has changed hands four times since I became a member. I'm tired of not being appreciated as a fan!

[KOC] Darklighter
05-03-2004, 04:50 PM
hmmm Im confused, Im suscriber to SW Insider and also suscriber of SW Hyperspace since it first went online, so i dont really understand how this will afect me, i mean do i get anything more? :ermm:

I dont care for discounts and stuff since i dont live in USA but i do like to get info and the magazines, so..... what in it for me? :confused:

JediTricks
05-03-2004, 05:42 PM
I am looking forward to see how many people have positive things to say about this merger, and hope that they post their opinions. I am having a LOT of trouble finding anything positive about this, and could use the help.I completely agree, I have been very curious to hear positive statements about this because I am totally coming up blank on that.

What kind of fan club kicks-out their current members, and demands more money to rejoin. . . huh? Yes, great point. I was totally stunned by that move, it just seemed so dishonest to the fans who were already members.

Darklighter']hmmm Im confused, Im suscriber to SW Insider and also suscriber of SW Hyperspace since it first went online, so i dont really understand how this will afect me, i mean do i get anything more? :ermm:

I dont care for discounts and stuff since i dont live in USA but i do like to get info and the magazines, so..... what in it for me? :confused:Wow, I hadn't really thought of that, since you're not in the US or Canada, how are you going to get the stuff you want? I believe there's a $20 international Hyperspace subscription that adds a few membership perks (the ones you just said you don't want) but that's only the website, what about the magazine? That's another can of worms altogether - according to the FAQ, you can't get the magazine anymore OR a membership kit!

dindae
05-03-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm very dissapointed on how the merger is taking place. While I had toyed with the idea of joining the hyperspace section, I don't like things forced down my throat. The real reason I am a member is for the one or two exclusive deals that are dangled out there for us. In hindsight it is probably stupid of me to $25-$40 to get the opportunity buy a figure that I could get on ebay for $5 more. But once again I will join because of promise of exclusive figures and first class treatment at Celebration III (you remember all the perks from Celebration II don't you??? :D ).

Sentinel18725
05-03-2004, 07:09 PM
I myself am disappointed in this. The Star Wars club could be an incredible property considering the number of fans and the extent of their love for it. The fact that Star Wars is poor to their members is very sad. Many examples:

1. I have no idea when my magazines are coming. sometimes they show up one or two weeks after newsstand. Also, with the issues being, 8 per year, I can't even expect it every month or every other month.

2. When the fan club was running the online store, everything was out of stock or sold out within a short time. Exclusives were rare. Instead, I could buy watches of Star Wars, or books that were available everywhere. But I couldn't find things like the badges or the pepsi can collector case ever.

3. Celebration II: How many things did I want to buy that they were sold out of (not Jorge) that I couldn't get.....I think it was four things. Never to be offered again, and I was in line on the second morning.

Hey Lucas: How about real exclusives, benefits, information, discounts, privilages at events or screenings.....

How about passports that can be stamped or embossed at events to commemorate events and to celebrate our fandom.

dwall16294
05-03-2004, 07:57 PM
I been a fan and collector for 26 years, but I'm getting tired of it all. The Hyperspace thing really irked me since movie web sites are used to promote the movie. Fans should be able to go there and get more info about things they are going to spend money on. I should not have to spend money to view content designed to make me spend more money! I did not subscribe to Hyperspace, and I actually stopped going to the official site since I figured the good content was behind the "members only" door.

I subscribed to the Lucasfilm fan club mag from the early '90s up until the first time it was sold. They totally lost me. Issues would come randomly to the point where I was not sure if I was still a member or not. I never got a renewal notice, so I just let it go.

Have to pay for the web site,
Too many reissued figures/ships,
Can't ever find the new figure sculpts,
New movies could be better,
Buying less and less
Getting saturated,
= ready to quit.

dr_evazan22
05-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Ever since Paizo took over the Insider has been improving over what WOTC had done. I'm hoping that the improvement continues, maybe Lisa Stevens and Vic whats-is-name will be kept on to keep some continuity. Who knows? I don't really have a problem with the FC going to LFL. I think that that is what should have happened instead of WOTC. This move may even be fallout of that debacle.

I wish they had kept the 8 issues per year, but I don't really have a problem with 6, it sets a regular schedule.

It sounds like LFL is trying to do right by the fans by offering the exclusives, I'm looking forward to them. I've been a member now for 11 years and I'll sign up again. And what's the problem with the price? Hyperspace was 20, and the membership used to be 20 for 6 issues.

Kidhuman
05-03-2004, 08:17 PM
:beard: (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=324229&postcount=24)

Click the :beard: to see my feelings.

pbarnard
05-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Really don't care. Star Wars fans (or any group) will find away no matter how much the "official" things are. I liken it to fans of a particular sports team. You may not have season tickets or even go to regular games, but you still like your team, watch them on TV, read about them in the papers/online etc.

People will buy the magazine if there are articles that interest them, buy the exclusive figure either through legitimate second hand sources or scalpers, etc.

The "Fan Club" has been the little bastard (sorry bout the language, but the description fits) of the Star Wars world for years now. Hand it off from one step parent to another till finally back with the original.

Side note, it was Paizo who upped Insider to 8 issues a year as a response to killing SW Gamer magazine. Wizards of the Coast before had it at just 6 issues a year. I have my own opinions on that little beast of the Hasbro Empire, but another time.

The thing that irks me is the price increase. They've effectively priced a grad student out of either. (Not that I would pay to begin with).

plasticfetish
05-03-2004, 09:37 PM
"Don't care / no opinion"

I've never been into the "official fan club" thing. I think fan clubs should be run by "fans" -- though really, I'm not sure why LFL hasn't handled the thing all along.

You'd think that they'd have the price be like $15 for a year, now that it's changed hands, and then maybe go up to $30 after that. Anything more seems too expensive to me -- especially since we're basically paying them to market their films and licensed products to us. (Isn't that really the point of a fan club? To promote something?) I feel like I'm being asked to pay for and subscribe to an elaborate advertisement.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 02:06 AM
I am dissatisfied and will NOT join!!

end transmission! :dead:

DarthBrandon
05-04-2004, 02:47 AM
"Don't care / no opinion"

I've never been into the "official fan club" thing. I think fan clubs should be run by "fans" -- though really, I'm not sure why LFL hasn't handled the thing all along.

You'd think that they'd have the price be like $15 for a year, now that it's changed hands, and then maybe go up to $30 after that. Anything more seems too expensive to me -- especially since we're basically paying them to market their films and licensed products to us. (Isn't that really the point of a fan club? To promote something?) I feel like I'm being asked to pay for and subscribe to an elaborate advertisement.

That about sums it up for me as well, I've never really been into the fan club. When I was a kid my parents got me a years subscription to it and it pretty much bit back then, so I'm definitely not going to be lining Uncle George's pocket book anymore than I have to. I buy the action figures (that are IMHO overpriced, i.e. look at GIJOE or Marvel Legends), watch the movies at the theatre & purchase the DVDís, thatís enough IMO. For all of our years efforts supporting S.W. we shouldnít be slapped in the face with 30 or 40 dollar memberships to Hyperspace to be a true fan, what a crock of B.S. that is. Fan clubs should be looked after by fans and not some over the hill couldn't write if your life depended on it, doesn't know the meaning of the word true fan, half baked lacky :evil: , poster child for can I milk you dry of every last cent you have in your pocket because I created S.W. & this is my new and improved vision for the 100th time or is it 101th time? :D

Oops, I think I lost it for a second, bottom line fan clubs should be run by fans who know & listen to what fans want. ;)

jonthejedi
05-04-2004, 04:26 AM
I reluctantly subscribed to Hyperspace online last winter(have to say I just don't get that much out of it)...I renewed my Insider/Fan Club membership this past January...now if I'm reading the fine print correctly...I'll still get my SW Insider mag...but technically, I'm not a Fan Club member anymore till I shell out more $$$...so I can't get exclusives or the like...is this right? I e-mailed customer servive...no reply!

Quite-Gone Jim
05-04-2004, 07:09 AM
This could be okay. I get the Insider, but didn't join Hyperspace. I'm trying to avoid getting info about EPIII, because I had so much info on EPI and ended up being really unsatisified with the movie. The less I know, the more I tend to like the movie.

What I think really stinks is that I don't get the new benefits until I renew or shell out additional dollars. Anyone who has both, should get their subsciption extended. If you have one or the other, you should now get access to both. It shouldn't be dependent on paying out more cash. This sounds like a last ditch effort to get more cash out of the Star Wars franchise before the movies are done and interest likely wanes a bit.

jedi-cpa
05-04-2004, 08:18 AM
It stinks!!!!!!!! More $, less issues. And this got ten "It's great" votes so far? SW fans can't be that stupid!

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I'm out! Who needs it. Who wants it? ^ magazines for $40 bucks? Surely you must be joking!

This stinks.

Lazer Brain
05-04-2004, 08:55 AM
this is a very sad sad day in the star wars universe. I do not like hyperspace for many reasons and I like the mags for more. so there giving us more of what we do not want and less of what we do. I will probably have to join just to get the mag and extras. this is heart breaking for the little fans, kids and others who don't even use computers all the time.
blah!
later

Vortex
05-04-2004, 11:17 AM
I balked at Hyperspace when they 1st started polling members on the official site, and I balked at their poll about auctions, and now I'm balking at this garbage.

I think what they have done is dirty pool. I think I'm about 1/2 way through my current subscription and instead of grandfathering their exising subscribers in for a couple of months until their subscription runs out, they treat us like junk and ask for more money. How much would it hurt them to give us a temporary password to access Hyperspace and check things out? They no longer respect us as customers. What ever happened to the customer is always right, and going out of your way to make us happy, since we're the ones providing them with jobs, yet they crap on us and try to squeeze a few more bucks out of us. Its not right to change the rules or price in the middle of game.

I personally don't want to associate with or have an attachment to hyperspace. I don't care about behind the scenes garbage or what scraps were used to make a gun or look at photos of Hayden sitting in a chair with make-up or various rejected design sketches. Not to mention whatever specials they have on items, I don't care about. In one year we'll see the movie, and then what good with hyperspace be? Besides I'm sure with marketing these days, give it a couple of months and those same images from hyperspace will be spashed in the insider or on some other fan sights. Nothing like paying twice to see the same thing again.

I've very disapointed in how anything associated with Lucas has handled fans and items in the last couple of years, and this just adds to the bitter taste.

daricksstarwars
05-04-2004, 11:30 AM
I am a bit unsure about what to think. I am already a hyperspace subscriber and in the fan club of course, so for me it is actually a little less expensive, but I love getting my insider and having it droppoed down to 6 is a bit annoying. What will be the extra benefit coming from having lucasfilm run the insider and the fan club? I was never impressed with paizo anyways except for how they published the insider. Any fan exclusives I ordered were long in arriving. So who knows, but I will wait and see what they do before I make any final judgement.

Darth Cruel
05-04-2004, 12:43 PM
It should always have been that LFL handles the fan club for Star Wars. For good or ill. If LFL maintaind their current heading...the entire Star Wars empire should be collapsing within about a year of the release of episode three. (Humms "Taps")

Masterjedi73
05-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Maybe Hyperspace wasn't doing as well as they had wanted and this was one way to get people to buy it. Force them into it.

I think it's lame. I like the insider, but I swore I'd never buy Hyperspace. Now I don't know what to do.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 02:51 PM
I think it's lame. I like the insider, but I swore I'd never buy Hyperspace. Now I don't know what to do.

Just think of it this way; Since you don't like Hyperspace, is the Insider worth $40 to you for 8 issues? Or is it 6 issues now?

skeeziks22
05-04-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm quite unimpressed by this. I thought it was good idea when the Lucas franchise gave up the Insider and Fan Club in the first place. It had many foms, but I always enjoyed the magazine and being a subscriber made it cheaper than buying it from the newstand...

When Paizo first got hold of the magazine you could still subscribe without being a member of the fanclub. They changed that so you had to be both, but it was still cheaper than the newstand price. Let's face it, the fan club is worthless for the most part... fan club exclusives are rarely available and are more frequently cancelled. So if you don't want Hyperspace (which many people don't) and knowing the pointlessness of the fan club (except maybe for CIII attendees) you are paying $6.66 per magazine if you subscribe. And the only added bonus for subscribers is bantha tracks which was a few pages every other issue... and who knows if they keep doing that even?

(interesting side note: I had renewed for a year previous to Paizo taking over and my subscription lasted about 9 months... Paizo's reasoning... "we considered a one-year subscription as 6 magazines... since we do eight a year your subscription is only good for 3/4's of a year."... I'm curious if Lucas Lmtd will say "since you have a 2 year subscription you only get 12 magazines" (even though when I renewed I was paying for 16) they already booted me from the fan club).

I'll get the magazines still, but I'll be using a friend's B&N discount and giving them a larger chunk of my money... I like giving bookstores my money much more than i like giving more cash to Lucas than necessary (subscriptions will go %100 to his company... through B&N they get some of that and he will get less).

Sidiously Darth
05-04-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm not happy with this turn of events but I am not surprised. I can somewhat understand not upgrading people that just have an insider subscription or just a hyperspace subscription. What I can't even phathom is not upgrading those that have both. That's just insane.

What it boils down to is corporate greed. Some LFL exec decided that the fanclub needed to be under one roof b/c they only have about 2 years of life left on this gravy train. (This would be that shortsightedness that corporate aholes normally have.) LFL can make more money and get one over on the fans. They really think peole are that dumb. Then again, most people that watch reality tv for a taste of reality... you get the idea.

Sidiously Darth
05-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Sorry for the double post but I'd like a roll call on the people who think this is great. At current post time, that would be all 16 of you. lol

JediTricks
05-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Side note, it was Paizo who upped Insider to 8 issues a year as a response to killing SW Gamer magazine. Wizards of the Coast before had it at just 6 issues a year. I have my own opinions on that little beast of the Hasbro Empire, but another time. You are absolutely correct there, and while I mentioned that in my news story, I omitted it from this poll mainly because I was concerned about my overall lack of brevity. It was actually FANtastic Media who had upped the issue count to 6 a year I believe, so it's not technically WOTC's fault there were 6 issues per year.

BTW, a somewhat related note, Paizo didn't actually own the Fan Club, they were managing it for WOTC/Hasbro.

I reluctantly subscribed to Hyperspace online last winter(have to say I just don't get that much out of it)...I renewed my Insider/Fan Club membership this past January...now if I'm reading the fine print correctly...I'll still get my SW Insider mag...but technically, I'm not a Fan Club member anymore till I shell out more $$$...so I can't get exclusives or the like...is this right? I e-mailed customer servive...no reply!That sucks! You are absolutely right, you're not a FC member anymore even though you are a current member of both services, it says as much in their FAQ. I think if you re-up, they extend your services and/or subscriptions by the amount you had coming anyway.

Maybe Hyperspace wasn't doing as well as they had wanted and this was one way to get people to buy it. Force them into it.That is my personal theory as well.

skeeziks22, good point about the FC being pretty much worthless. I'm still unclear as to what exactly being an FC member means anymore, but I had been wondering that since I joined in the '90s. I gather that current members could get the silver Sandtrooper exclusive this summer at conventions, but how is that going to work now???

Sidiously Darth, what about former Fan Club members? I mean, there used to be Hyperspace subscribers, Insider subscribers, and then Fan Club members who paid $10 more than Insider subscribers... shouldn't they have their memberships brought into this new Fan Club instead of being treated as regular Insider subscribers?

[KOC] Darklighter
05-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Seems theres no real point in joining the FC other than getting magazines (wich have cool info, but nothing u can't get on fan sites anyways) and maybe some discounts but being a international suscriber i cant even get the items that easy.

i think i'll quit since I really dont get anything out of it. and im not paying more $$ for less stuff.

What will happened to my renew suscription to both things still needs an answer since i havent got any letter or anything, saying if a refund or anything will take efect (dont hoping too much tho)

skeeziks22
05-04-2004, 03:52 PM
That sucks! You are absolutely right, you're not a FC member anymore even though you are a current member of both services, it says as much in their FAQ. I think if you re-up, they extend your services and/or subscriptions by the amount you had coming anyway.

Sidiously Darth, what about former Fan Club members? I mean, there used to be Hyperspace subscribers, Insider subscribers, and then Fan Club members who paid $10 more than Insider subscribers... shouldn't they have their memberships brought into this new Fan Club instead of being treated as regular Insider subscribers?

I read the FAQ's and don't remember seeing them say fan club members are no longer fan club members until they subscribe again. I specifically looked for that, because I still have 9 issues remaining before mine runs out. I e-mailed the link in the FAQ's to ask specifically today... we'll see.

Also, Paizo stopped taking orders for just the magazine about a year ago. They started making all subscriptions for the magazine include the fan club membership. You had to do both (but the total price was still cheaper than newstand if all you wanted was the magazine).

DamonJw
05-04-2004, 04:02 PM
I think the person (Masterjedi 73) whom said that Hyperspace did not do as well as they planned, so they had to force you into it was dead on. I also agree with the person who said that they are trying to milk this gravy train as much as they can for the next two years...lets face it after the movies, it (fan club starwars.com) is over..(No matter what the Steve "the shill" Sansweet would have you believe). But this is all George. He calls all the shots. You old timers will remember his quote that went something like"....I'm only a poor independent film maker....I have to be like an Indian...using every bit of the buffalo." (which in this case is Star Wars). He is going to take every bit of coin you will give him.
As for "fans"....just read all his (gl) interviews over the years....he has a low opnion of "fans"....he cares nothing at all for them....I would lay down money that he feels slight disgust at them.
As for charging the higher price....they throw us a bone by using the afore mentioned "exclusives"....In this we have only our selves to blame. They (gl and Co.) know that Star Wars fans will chase any "exclusive". Variant this variant that....we brought this part on ourselves.

The fan/club/hyperspace is garbage.....but in a little over 2 years from now it will be all over.

Lets face it, other web sites have just as accurate information and they generally have it before the official does anyway.

jedi-cpa
05-04-2004, 04:31 PM
I paid for a fan club membership in December...am I reading these posts right that I am not a FC member now? Then where is my prorated refund if that is the case.

I want 7/12ths of my membership dues back then!

Wow, I can't wait to cease this membership.

THis stinks!!!!

JediTricks
05-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I read the FAQ's and don't remember seeing them say fan club members are no longer fan club members until they subscribe again. I specifically looked for that, because I still have 9 issues remaining before mine runs out. I e-mailed the link in the FAQ's to ask specifically today... we'll see.The wording was pretty confusing in the FAQ and other info, so I went through the SW.com forums info and according to their "Ghent" (aka former TFNer and current SW.com webmaster Paul Ens), Paizo members will receive some membership benefits, but not all. Here's exactly what was said:

Question: Does that mean you ARE honoring those Paizo Club Member with FULL Membership perks of the NEW one, if they don't subscribe?

Answer: Paizo subscribers will receive member kits through Paizo as planned, as well as receive their remaining issues of Insider and access to offline benefits.

New online-based benefits begin when you renew or join the new club.So make of that what you will, I would hope the "offline benefits" are the regular Fan Club benefits members were already receiving. JessaJediB (aka Mary Franklin, Lucasfilm's Fan Event Coordinator) later clarified what Ghent referred to as "offline benefits":

Question: What exactly are all of the "offline benefits"?

Answer: Offline benefits include the ability to register for Fan Club events, like the Fan Club breakfasts. They also include the Celebration III benefits that we have in the works. Other offline benefits could be announced in the future, too.

Insider magazine is another offline benefit for subscribers in the US and Canada.

The membership kit is also an offline benefit for US and Canadian subscribers. The Fan Club will mail the membership kits in the same way that Paizo did: kits will go to members who have subscriptions paid through a certain time. For example, if your subscription was paid through Issue #80 (* Paizo's Vic Wertz later corrected her by explaining it'd be issue #78, not #80, see below -JT), Paizo mailed you a membership kit in the recent batch. If your magazine subscription was about to expire, Paizo would not mail you the kit until you renewed. We'll be doing the mailings in a similar fashion.

Hope that helped! * BTW, here's verbatim what Vic said:

>For example, if your subscription was paid through Issue #80, Paizo mailed you a membership kit in the recent batch.<

Mary (aka JessaJediB -JT), the determining issue was 78, not 80.

(That is, Paizo shipped 2004 kits to anyone who had a subscription with us that will include issue 78. That includes everybody who has a sub through issue 80, plus a bunch more people.)

-Vic. ... and I only had to look through 30+ pages and 500+ posts of that thread to find that info! :crazed:

roguematt7
05-05-2004, 12:18 AM
I personally have always had a problem with having to pay for ANYTHING on the Star Wars website. Maybe I missed something, did they release the last movie as an arthouse movie and not make much off of it? Did they suddenly stop selling Star Wars related items everywhere? I buy busts, posters, figures, vehicles, tickets to see the movies, DVDs and everything in between, can ANYONE answer why they would have to charge for things to be on their website? There are only like 4 features that don't cost money on there now, I can't see any of the pre-production stuff for Episode 3 because I refuse to pay whatever they're charging. Maybe they think the next one will tank and they're covering all the bases so they make enough money to cover it. So I agree, there should be a total BS option on the poll.

stillakid
05-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Tranfer of control issues aside, I've wondered about the relevance of The Insider in this internet age. In the old days, it was always exciting to get a new Bantha Tracks to find out what was going on. But it's brutally obvious that the info in The Insider is weeks if not months old by the time we get it in the mailbox. The only value then it seems is that it is a tangible item that we can keep and refer to forever.

To that end, the concept of a "real time" website which imparts information makes a lot of sense. The upside is that the info is relatively current and "offical." The downside is that it isn't something you can go back and read unless you are inclined to save the web pages or print everything out. Whose going to do that? :rolleyes:

So I think that the best of both worlds is to offer a "fanclub" membership that includes both entities. For practicalities sake, it is the only thing that makes any real sense.

The issue then becomes value. What does it cost Lucasfilm et al? And what is it worth to the fans? And being that Lucas appears to be catering to the 7 and younger crowd lately (and some easy to please adults), the issue of cost should be a high priority for them. I don't see many parents willing to lay down huge dollars so that their kid can sit in front of the computer for hours on end. But if a fanclub membership which included a magazine and access to the web content was reasonably priced, say $20 bucks for the year or so, then they might have something.

I think that the major problem is this new idea of synergy between the varying aspects of a given property. Instead of looking at the Fanclub or the website as pure marketing tools to sell the movies, there is a new strategy afoot from corporate America to milk cash from every conceivable angle. A movie isn't just a movie anymore...it's a movie, a DVD, a videogame, a toy line, a cardgame, and an amusement park ride. The marketplace will ultimately decide which point of view will survive. So as long as consumers continue to literally buy into this new way of thinking, we will have no choice but to pay through the nose for things that should be free. But if consumers respond by ignoring the requests for cash, then things like the website or the magazine will just go away. That is, until the corporate bosses figure out that consumers aren't as drawn to that primary property (the movie) as much as they were when all that ancillary stuff was available. Then, and only then, will we get back to sensible economic policy wherein consumers are drawn in to the main event through all this other stuff at zero cost.

arctangent
05-05-2004, 08:46 AM
the fan club in the uk is run differently but no less badly. i understand your comments about the relevance of the printed page stilla, it was what prompted me not to renew my uk fan club membership a couple of years ago. the crappy little A5 booklet that they laughingly called a 'magazine' ran an article that was actually 18 months out of date.

we also got a booklet offering us overpriced 'exclusive merchandise' that you could buy anywhere for cheaper. the only reason i joined in the first place was because they offered us 'exclusive' action figures. the only ones they ever offered were the cantina band. and they didn't actually have enough to fullfil all the orders they got for sets of five, so we ended up with two each :cry: .

i have always been fairly cynical about fan clubs in general and the star wars fan club in the uk did nothing to make me feel otherwise. i had always looked to the american fan club and though 'i wish they could run it like that over here' but looking at the changes they have made to it and the way they have gone about it, i don't think that any more. if i lived in america, i certainly wouldn't join at that price.

i guess hyperspace membership must not be going to well if they are trying to railroad people into joining it through the fan club. i would have thought that anyone who wanted to have hyperspace would have signed up for it by now.

JediTricks
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
roguematt7, you pretty much nailed my gut reaction to all this, not just the merger but the very birth of the original Hyperspace online site, adding off-site adverts to SW.com, that sort of thing.

stilla, I agree with you on the price issue, as well as on this whole notion of "synergy" and cross-marketing. It's over the top lately, as if execs ran dry on ideas and figured they could simply milk the customer to see even the advertising. I blame the mania around Ep 1's first trailer, but like other areas, where Star Wars makes a trend, it becomes nigh-impossible to follow in its footsteps (see marketing for more of this).

Something I really didn't consider much before is how lousy a deal this is to SW fans without internet access, especially high-speed access. For them, it's basically $40 for the magazine and a handful of benefits that likely won't get used very often... the same can be said for anybody who just doesn't want to use the Hyperspace website content, but it's not as effective an argument since that's based on choice, I guess.

So where are the positive comments on this? I'm seeing a little, but a quarter of the votes here have been positive while nowhere near as many posts have been. Who is excited by this merger, and what are they seeing in it that the rest of us are not?

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2004, 11:52 PM
So where are the positive comments on this? I'm seeing a little, but a quarter of the votes here have been positive while nowhere near as many posts have been. Who is excited by this merger, and what are they seeing in it that the rest of us are not?

That's what I want to know!

I have been running that one through my head since I first heard about all this crazy merger poo!

My thought was 2 kinds of people...really REALLY super die-hard fans who just shove money at anything star wars without even thinking twice OR fans that are newer to the star wars universe as the re-dux's of the OT and the Prequels have come out and they don't know that things actually used to be better as in LFL was trying to attract "fans/an audience" (of course money comes in this avenue as well, it's just not the driving force) instead of just "cold, hard cash and who cares about fans because we have a huge market now" (which has become LFL's driving force nowadays).

Just my two cents on a subject I find very "angrifying" :zzz:

[KOC] Darklighter
05-06-2004, 02:22 AM
OMG now i cant even log into Hyperspace anymore! this is so stupid from them, not even got a warning or and invitation to rejoin at a good price, bah, bad move from them. anyone else that was suscribed just got kicked?

scruffziller
05-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Boy I am glad I cancelled my FC membership when I did.

Banthaholic
05-10-2004, 03:13 PM
I already posted my opinion of this in the 'Genreal Discussion' thread, so I won't bore you all, I voted 'Very dissatisfying, I won't join"
That being said, I'm a current member (or ex-member now) with 6 issues left on my membership. I like the Insider. I have just about every issue of the Insider, 1/2 of the Lucasfilm magazines, and 1/2 of the issues from the vinage Bantha Tracks. This was the last straw for me.
I'll still pick up Insider issues from the newstand, and ebay/e-tail any fan club exclusives. , although as for being a member, why? They've shown no loyalty to us after we've been loyal to them for 27 years.
I don't know if 'dissatisifed' is as good of a word to use in the voting option, 'disgusted' magnifies my feelings better.

Bobby Fett
05-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Was "Total BS" inadvertently left off the list of choices?

Someone needs to reprogram the people at George Lucas Limited with common sense, instead of dollars and cents.

JediTricks
05-12-2004, 07:27 PM
"Total BS", yes, I think that was strongly considered as the top option when I originally started this poll. ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
05-12-2004, 08:13 PM
"Total BS", yes, I think that was strongly considered as the top option when I originally started this poll. ;)

It must have slipped away unnoticed, or something along that line??

;)

Kidhuman
05-12-2004, 08:40 PM
I would of voted for that one.