PDA

View Full Version : What sounds do you hear at night?

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 02:32 AM
When you lay your weary head to re-ee-ee-eest, what are the sounds you fall asleep to? Inside sounds? Outside sounds? Both? The long, hard snoring of a spouse or partner?

I hear sometimes and not always together but yes, sometimes all together the police academy shooting range, the 605 freeway, especially semi-trucks lowering their gears, sirens, dogs barking, my computer, MASH episodes (I always fall asleep to MASH), my cat snoring lightly (sometimes heavily) by my head and my mouse running on her wheel. Crickets and mosquitos in the warm weather, my ceiling fan and the occasional something or other falling off a shelf.

It's pretty shocking the noises we hear yet we are able (most of us anyway) to sleep at night.

James Boba Fettfield
05-04-2004, 02:48 AM
Sirens from police and ambulances
Police helicopter
Squeaking beds from ... :)
People doing the Chappelle Show Lil' John thing: "WHAT?! YEEEEEEAAAAAH! OKAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!"
My minifridge running
A fan running on high

That's about it. My first night in the big city was quite the eye...er, ear opener. I grew up in rural Ohio outside Cincinnati, and where I come from the night time sounds were crickets and the seldom car driving by. I start living in Columbus for my Ohio State educating, and wow...I never thought I would be able to fall asleep here with all of the noise.

Can't wait to get back to the rural hometown, where the crickets and few cars reign...and the occasional dueling banjos.

Kidhuman
05-04-2004, 06:15 AM
I hear a fan running. The people above me blasting music, sometimes their bed squeaking, and sometimes people(rednecks) yelling because they are drunk.

mabudonicus
05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Yeah, our neighborhood is pretty quiet at night, ever since Lanny moved down the street... mostly you can hear the highway, about a mile off, and it's a straightaway, so it's a pretty steady whine...
sometimes sirens, but not too often....
The loudest noise you hear around here is when a really cruddy car drives by and breaks the stillness, or when a group of drunk teens saunters by...

Oh, almost forgot, there's this funny little dude, about 40, maybe, not quite right in the head, and he walks around with headphones on listening to who knows what... anyways, he couldn't carry a tune to save his life, but when he's feeling good he turns the music up and sings along.... sounds like someone with a knifes stuck between their shoulder blades... it happened just the other night, a buddy and I were outside and you could hear it from a few blocks away, getting closer... think of that Raymond Hung guy walking around at night singing, then think even worse, it's actually kinda freaky til ya figure out what the noise is
:beard:

arctangent
05-04-2004, 10:15 AM
the guy next door to me has a garden like out of a garden make-over programme and he has ponds and a small waterfall, so at night in the summer when i have my window open i can hear the sound of gentle running water :zzz: (which is quite calming), frogs :rolleyes: (which are not quite so calming) and the occasional urban fox :sur: (whose calls are definately not calming)

Exhaust Port
05-04-2004, 11:15 AM
My building is pretty quite during the nights with only the occasional closing door or thump. Outside I'll hear my one neighbor who works late as he pulls in and closes his car door. In the distance I can hear the occasional train about 2 miles down the road in the small valley.

During the summer or as it warms up in the spring I hear these things more regularly, not that they happen more often, probably just because I start sleeping with my windows open. Also the warm weather natures creatures become more vocal. Much to my annoyance I have a family of squirrals that live in the wall of my bedroom. So most nights I hear them fighting in the wall just above my head as I lay. Some nights it gets so bad that it even wakes me from sleeping. Nothing like hearing this just inches from your head. I've learned that it only takes a quick thump of the wall with my hand to scare them and they'll be quite for a few minutes. One night though I got so ticked I punched the wall. Now there is a nice dent in the dry wall above my head. :)

IMFETTUP
05-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Fan running, pool pump pumping, dog licking his privates in the dark recesses of the room, cat scratching at the bedroom door to come in, the occasional 500.00 car with a 2,000.00 dollar stereo system going "boom", wife talking in her sleep, front door making noises as in contracts in the cooler weather, the neighbors cats squaring off in the front yard, my wifes stomach growling... It's a wonder that any of us can sleep at night!!:o

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Man, i can relate to some of JBFF's statements as we're both at colleges. But here is my list:
my fridge running, which is quite soothing if i may say so
Chappelle Show thing of "WHHHHHHHHAT?!!? OKAAAAAAAAAAY!! YEAAAAAAAAAH!"
South Park quote of, "They took our jeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbs!!"
My neighbor blaring that crazy rap music
The hippies next door laughing about something and/or blaring Phish
Fan usually on high to drowned out the previous two

On the weekends, it's the same but i must add:
stupid drunk people running around outside on the catwalk

When i go home, i hear nothing but the woods near my house along with the occasional dog/coyote howling in the distance. :D

scruffziller
05-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Since I sleep during the day here it goes.............

Lawnmowers, hedgetrimmers,the neighboors kids running around downstairs, the beeping of the car wash clock across the way, the crackleing of the tin foil on my window as the fan keeps me cool, cars going by, the birds rustling around in underneath the roof by my air conditioner.

JediTricks
05-04-2004, 03:36 PM
loud crickets, helicopters all through the night (the LAPD choppers searching for thugs and the local hospitals that "park" over my neighborhood awaiting landing clearance), neighbors snoring, slight squeeking from neighbors' fans or ACs, sometimes TV or music noise from neighbors, neighbors loudly stomping through building drunk, and my sound machine making raindrop or wave noises. Now that it's summer, I also have my AC to kick in every 40 mins or so.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-04-2004, 03:56 PM
helicopters all through the night (the LAPD choppers searching for thugs

my neighbor calls them "ghetto birds" lol

we have one too and the guy is constantly flying around at all hours of the day...how could I forget to mention that in the sounds I hear???

Dr Zoltar
05-04-2004, 04:15 PM
My cat meowing to be let under the covers.
My fan (if it's over 70 degrees).
The neighbor's dog barking -- until I report them to the Humane Society.
The humming of my CPAP machine.
David Letterman on the telly.

Last night some yahoo in a go cart/quad was zooming up and down my street. The engine was VERY loud and he thought it was a good idea to do figure 8's in people's yards. After reporting him to the local sheriff's, I'm sure that sound will just be a one night event. :D

El Chuxter
05-04-2004, 04:39 PM
The tortured cries and screams of the people I keep chained up in the baseme--uh, never mind.

Kidhuman
05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
I hear dead people.

kool-aid killer
05-04-2004, 09:02 PM
The sound of wind breaking.... :D

Other than that the only constant sound is the neighbor chumps music blaring. Life was good until they arrived. :dis:

Kidhuman
05-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Call the police on them. Hell call the FBI too, tell them they are selling drugs or something.

Sentinel18725
05-04-2004, 10:09 PM
It appears that it is a common theme for the fan...so I'll join in with it.
Fan
MASH
"L" train
Sirens (which I'm use to from the job)

I'm having a problem with the DVD's though because of it's looping the title track, which usually has triumphant sounds in it!

arctangent
05-05-2004, 09:45 AM
The tortured cries and screams of the people I keep chained up in the baseme--uh, never mind.

i find one of those rubber ball things in the mouth keeps them quiet ;) . or you could just cut their tongues out :evil:

I hear dead people.

it could be worse - you could see them too :eek: ! may i suggest keeping your eyes tightly shut.

Kidhuman
05-05-2004, 12:05 PM

Just like Fool in The People Under The Stairs. :beard:

kool-aid killer
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Call the police on them. Hell call the FBI too, tell them they are selling drugs or something.

You know, a week ago the cops (three squad cars) came onto my block and towed away five vehicles. From what i heard a nearby house is/was a suspected drug house, a man was living in a van parked on the street, and i think somebody had complained about my neighbors and the disrespect they have for everyone else living on the street. Now instead of parking their cars all over their yard, they put them in the street like they should be. Hopefully the little run in with the law will help them clean up their act, but i doubt it.

Reefer Shark
05-06-2004, 10:39 AM
The religous fantaics upstairs, screaming and clapping (we've gone up and told them to shut it a few times)

Sharon (my fiance) snoring away

Milo (our cat) scraching in his litter box

The choppers thumping overhead

Those DAMN crickets!!

Poeple talking loudly in our courtyard (all sounds seem to echo in our apt)

The frickin birds in the trees right outside our window, they really like to wake me up extra early

Various bumps and other noises in our place that make me think someones in the house :eek: . I'm constantly getting up and checking the place (is that a sign of paranoia?).

The fan, which I put as high as my fiance will let me in a weak attempt to drown out all of the above......

Hellboy
05-06-2004, 08:52 PM
My fan, which is on every night regardless of the temp.

Neighbors who think the only way to close a door is to slam it.

My downstairs neighbor on his patio at 4 am.. talking on his phone while smoking. :smoker:

The morning wildlife when my window is left open.

Quite often rain since I live in the NW, which puts me right to sleep. :zzz:

evenflow
05-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Well at my house just cars and stuff like that. But when I am over at my girlfriends, there is this Asian family next door and it sounds like they are doing kareoke every night.

Kidhuman
05-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Well at my house just cars and stuff like that. But when I am over at my girlfriends, there is this Asian family next door and it sounds like they are doing kareoke every night.

She lives next to William Hung?

plasticfetish
05-08-2004, 06:48 PM
the police academy shooting range, the 605 freeway, especially semi-trucks lowering their gears, sirens, dogs barking
What? I'm gonna find out that you're my friggin' neighbor now? (Hah.)

We've got two helicopters BTW. There's the modern Long Beach PD chopper and there's the 1960s Lakewood "whirlybird" that I'm betting is going to end up in a backyard some day. They each have their own special noise.

Let me add... cats fighting and/or "dating" outside my window. Kids burning around the streets in their parent's Dodge trucks. More sirens, especially when one of the old people on the street has a coronary. Our water heater making its popping noise. The air conditioner. The fan.

In the early morning -- the neighbor's garage door. Gardeners up and down the street all starting up their mowers, edgers and blowers at the same time. Birds -- crows, parrots (dozens) and various smaller birds all fighting.

Tom Araya
05-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Little gnomes singing "Googily-giggily-hoopity-hoo, drinking all day gives you watery poo!" and my dog telling me to kill my parents. Oh, and the barely audible sound of cockroaches chewing and eating the cuticles off my fingers.

arctangent
05-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Little gnomes singing "Googily-giggily-hoopity-hoo, drinking all day gives you watery poo!" and my dog telling me to kill my parents. Oh, and the barely audible sound of cockroaches chewing and eating the cuticles off my fingers.

pay attention to those gnomes tom, they're right :eek: ! i might be inclined to ignore the dog though, it could get messy and its murder cleaning up after murder ;) .

TeeEye7
05-12-2004, 06:09 AM
Well, let's see.....since I work nights.....I hear (in no particular order):

Helicopters, sirens, the clicking of handcuffs, the "pssssst" of pepper spray, the shout of "**#%^!! my eyes!", the occasional racking of a Remington 870, or the slap of the bolt of a Colt AR15 HBar, lots of expletives from my clientele, cries of children abused by their parents, the sound of velcro, pens scratching out reports, the click of cameras, cries of pain from assault victims in the ER, film being rewound, German Shepards, glass breaking, munching of donuts, latent fingerprint lifters being lifted off of surfaces, sick sound of impacting metal, last breaths, nitrile gloves stretching over hands, fuming hoods in the lab, sound tracks to LOTR in my office, dispatch on the scanner in the background, relief from people getting their property back, "Do you watch CSI?" ([my]expletive!!), "Where to for code 7?", slurping of sodas, doors slamming at the end of the shift.....but best of all, when I leave home to start my night:

"I love you; be careful!"

CaptainSolo1138
05-12-2004, 12:16 PM
I hear every nite, without fail, my white trash neighbors trying to start their car to make one last beer run before the stores stop selling. Appearantly they would rather buy one more case of Schlitz than put a new starter on their POS Skylark. I'm thinking about investing in a turbine engine, since my fan, on high, doesn't seem to drown it out sufficently. And my snoring fiance. It's not loud, ghetto snores. Just cute girl snores. It actually puts me to sleep half the time. I used to hear my guinea pig running around in his cage, but sadly that ended in December (I miss you, Chubs!).

InsaneJediGirl
05-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Crickets/Frogs
The A/C and both a ceiling and box fan running
Dog barking once or twice,if not my cat Misu annoying me
Weird neighbors driving back and forth,even with their kids at 12 am :crazed:
Loud Footsteps up and down the porch(House is haunted ;) )

Thats about it.One of the splendors of not living in a urban area :D

Deoxyribonucleic
05-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Crickets/Frogs
The A/C and both a ceiling and box fan running
Dog barking once or twice,if not my cat Misu annoying me
Weird neighbors driving back and forth,even with their kids at 12 am :crazed:
Loud Footsteps up and down the porch(House is haunted ;) )

Thats about it.One of the splendors of not living in a urban area :D

Hear any baby alligators?

;)

2-1B
05-17-2004, 02:08 AM
my own name . . . several times.

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 05:42 AM
Is that yor Mom yellin at ya Caesar? :beard:

Tom Araya
05-17-2004, 07:30 AM
my own name . . . several times.
LOL!

I don't think she's yelling, more like, "Caesar....Caesar, wake up dear, you're having a dream....Caesar....Caeeeeeeeeesar........" :D

arctangent
05-17-2004, 08:09 AM
mr araya, at night do you not hear millions of souls screaming in eternal torment ;) ?

Kidhuman
05-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Lions and Tigers and Bears oh :beard:

InsaneJediGirl
05-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Hear any baby alligators?

;)

LOL DNA.No,but got a story of a local boy getting attack by one of 'em

http://www.starbanner.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73172580594439&Avis=OS&Dato=20040521&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=205210364&Ref=AR

Ji'dai
05-30-2004, 06:14 PM
It's usually quiet enough to hear the wind.

The horn of a train passing in the distance.

My fan plus the A/C in summer.

Croaking toads in the spring and summer.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-01-2004, 12:31 PM
LOL DNA.No,but got a story of a local boy getting attack by one of 'em

http://www.starbanner.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73172580594439&Avis=OS&Dato=20040521&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=205210364&Ref=AR

I don't know what to think of that lol

El Chuxter
06-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Your mama.

(Wow, that was an especially good comeback!)

JEDIpartner
06-04-2004, 03:35 PM
...the ghost of my ex farting in bed in the middle of the night. :rolleyes:

Deoxyribonucleic
06-04-2004, 05:16 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

faaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrt!

(in Homie's voice of course) ;)

Bobby Fett
06-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Your mama.

(Wow, that was an especially good comeback!)

Uh, no it wasn't. lol

Kidhuman
06-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Oh no, now you did it Bobby.

Bobby Fett
06-05-2004, 10:42 PM
KH, it wasn't me, honest. It must have been one of those dang Ewok lovers. No wait, it must have been one of those Trekkies. No wait, it must have been one of those freaks with no facial hair. Yeah, that's it, it was one of those dirty rotten commies with no facial hair. Really. I promise.

InsaneJediGirl
06-06-2004, 10:13 AM
...the ghost of my ex farting in bed in the middle of the night. :rolleyes:

Got to cut down on winter heating costs somewhere ;)

Kidhuman
06-06-2004, 11:35 AM
KH, it wasn't me, honest. It must have been one of those dang Ewok lovers. No wait, it must have been one of those Trekkies. No wait, it must have been one of those freaks with no facial hair. Yeah, that's it, it was one of those dirty rotten commies with no facial hair. Really. I promise.

ALrighty then Bobby, you off the hook for now.

JEDIpartner
06-06-2004, 08:28 PM
:D I just had to go there...

El Chuxter
06-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Last night I heard bears pooping on Bobby Fett. :p

Bobby Fett
06-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Last night I heard bears pooping on Bobby Fett. :p

No, please, anything but that! :crazed:

Kidhuman
06-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Haha Bobby. I told ya. :beard:

Dave_Cameron
06-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Traffic and a freaky gutter that creaks in the wind.

El Chuxter
06-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Traffic. . . .

Cool, cool. John Barleycorn Must Die or The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys? :D