PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else not care about Friends ending?

El Chuxter
05-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Hello, my name is El Chuxter, and I hate Friends.

What is the deal? It's a decent sitcom, but I've never thought of it as even close to Seinfeld, Simpsons, Lucy, Get a Life, even Frasier.

I'm sick of the constant media coverage it's getting. "How will it end?" has been the subject of every stupid news story for the past month. Doesn't matter if there are prisoners being beat up in Iraq, a presidential election going on, bears sneaking into LA hot tubs, or whatever. All anyone seems able to report is idle speculation on whether Ross gets back with Chandler and Joey goes back to his old show in Chicago with the Bundys or Larry will tell Julie how he feels and blah blah blah blah.

Even my wife, who hasn't watched the show more than three times since I've known her, is adamant about watching tonight. As we only have one TV, I guess I'll have to miss the 2-hour Cops special and read some more of the Dark Tower series.

As a far greater TV sitcom frontman often asked, "What is the deal?"

James Boba Fettfield
05-06-2004, 03:46 PM
**** Friends. :)

dr_evazan22
05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
First off, I didn't know there was a 2 hour COPS on tonight. I'm going over to the girl's house to a "Friends" party so I can tape COPS at home. I wouldn't call myself a fan of the show, but it's something that I have been watching this season.

I think that everyone is making such a big deal because Friends is so homogenized, it fits in with the way all the rest of corporate entertainment is.

Kidhuman
05-06-2004, 04:13 PM
I couldnt care less either way, if it is on or not.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I'll be working so it makes no difference to me. However, my Mom and Grandma really like the show and are looking forward to it so for that reason I'm happy for them, but for myself, I never really watch the show.

I don't think it's horrible, but it's definitely not my favorite sitcom and it definitely doesn't stand up to MASH or Simpsons IMO.

The coverage this show is getting is crazy. But I understand because we are after all, in America and what do most Americans (besides us of course lol) love to do? We love to push reality, which incorporates bad, bad stuff, to the backburner, so we don't have to feel guilty for beind so spoiled and so we don't have to feel guilty for pushing reality aside in the first place, because we won't be thinking about it, we'll be watching Friends! lol

QLD
05-06-2004, 05:18 PM
I don't care at all. I have always thought that Friends was very average.

bobafett07728
05-06-2004, 05:26 PM
I don't care either. I've been invited to three "Friends Finale" parties. . . and I was like. . . "WHAT!?!?" I can't wait for it all to be over, and not have to see these clowns on TV anymore!

El Chuxter
05-06-2004, 05:37 PM
The top ten good things that Friends accomplished:

1) It gave Courteney Cox the large paycheck she didn't earn for her Oscar-caliber role in Masters of the Universe. :rolleyes:

2) It put Matthew Perry enough in the public eye so that he could co-star in The Whole Nine Yards.

3) Uhhhhh. . . . Okay there are only two reasons.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2004, 06:37 PM
I used to watch the show, but after like the 2nd season, it dawned on me: they have NO NEW PLOT IDEAS. They just seem to rehash the same plot ideas season after season. I had an idea about how i would end the series if i was a writer on the show and here it is: the entire gang is enjoying a cup o'joe @the central perk and a runaway taxi busts through the window, bursts into flames and blows up the central perk, killing everybody. :crazed:

But about 75% of my.....(sigh) friends enjoy watching "Friends" and they're heartbroken. My buddy and i had devised a plan cutting cable to all of Athens and making sure the entire student population misses the finale, but we decided it would cause a large riot and we've had enough of those at OU this year and decided not to do it. But yeah, the media coverage is just nuts about this whole thing. All week long on every talk show and news broadcast is all about, "How is it going to end?" and "What will happen now?" I'll tell you what'll happen now: you won't hear crap from the cast as most of their non-friends efforts have failed. The sooner this crap is over the better. :D

Hellboy
05-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Well I've never really been a big fan of sitcoms in general so my exposure to the series has been minimal. I never understood the appeal of Friends but from what I hear the show jumped the shark a long time ago. I'll be glad when its gone simply because I'm tired of the exposure it gets.

bandon_29
05-06-2004, 07:25 PM
thank god that crap is finally going off the air i mean if i had to be stuck in a room with david hook nose schwimmer or jenifer get the paper bag aniston like those other poor actors i would have put myself in carbonite long ago.oh yeah and the same applies for adam sandler and jerry seinfeld too of the most non-amusing actors that ever lived.Adam sandlers movies are so bad i tried to watch waterboy and actually got constipated!!! thank god for small miracles:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :) :) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) ;) lol lol lol lol :D :D :D :D :D :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Kidhuman
05-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Can someone tell me why the couch in Cemtral Perk is never occupied by anyone but them?

Dr Zoltar
05-06-2004, 08:12 PM
This show jumped the shark several seasons ago. I watch it off and on but am pretty indifferent about it. I will watch the finale tonight in my own home. But mostly out of morbid curiosity...like a car wreck. I have purposely missed every other "special" on TV about this show ending.

Now if only NBC would drop Will & Grace. Talk about abhorrent writing...

B'Omarr Monkey
05-06-2004, 08:47 PM
You mean it's still on?

They've been hyping this show ending for at least a year already!!

I've only seen two or three episodes of this show and never understood the appeal. The plots, jokes and characters are bland and predictable, and it is another example of a bunch of people in NYC living in a manner far beyond what their incomes should allow.

I think the show going off the air is the biggest non-event of the year.

James Boba Fettfield
05-06-2004, 10:01 PM
This **** is cutting into my ER watching. It's past 10pm, where's ER!?

EDIT-Ok, it's on now. Late, but still on. Stupid Friends!

scruffziller
05-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Yep don't care.....never watched one episode.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Never watched a single whole episode, only bits and pieces when channel surfing. The concept of the show never appealed to me, yet I do feel a bit saddened that the show is over, but only for nostalgia purposes. I remember I was a freshman in high school when the show premiered and now that I am two years out of college, the show has finally ended. A lot happened during those years, and a small constant (a very small constant) is gone.

evenflow
05-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I could not care less.

kool-aid killer
05-07-2004, 09:47 PM
(finishes drinking his cup of Haterade)

Friends??? Ive never seen an entire episode, just bits and pieces, yet i dont feel like ive missed out on anything. I couldnt have said it any better than James Boba Fettfield did in his first post on this thread. May the casts careers wither and die a painful death in other lame comedies. This shows ending was hyped for what felt like forever!!! Has the show really affected our culture in such a way that it was deserving of a two hour finale and countless other little bits about its closing? Has this show changed anybodys life? Or was this just another example of something being overhyped?

Bosskman
05-07-2004, 10:07 PM
I also have never seen an entire episode. I tried. I really did. I always though the show was stupid. Same goes for Seinfeld (except for the kramer-turkey part) It seems to me that Freinds was for people who have none of their own. It makes me sick everytime I see shows like ET worshiping that hideous show and its marginal actors. I think that phoebe one is one of the ugliest women I've ever seen in my entire life. I'm glad its gone.

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 10:10 PM
From 6 to 9pm, TV Land aired various sitcoms that had the stars of Friends before they got the series that made them famous, and from 9 to 10, they aired nothing but their staff watching the final episode of Friends. I thought that was too funny.

bigbarada
05-09-2004, 04:16 PM
I spent my evening watching Big Tom getting a knife in the back on Survivor: All-Stars and CSI. It wasn't until Friday morning that I even remembered that Friends's final episode was on. Oh well, I always thought it was just a dumbed-down, politically-correct Seinfeld anyways. I won't even miss it. :ermm:

Bosskman
05-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey BB, I hear ya about the pc part.

PS

I wanted big tom to win.

dr_evazan22
05-09-2004, 06:13 PM
That Survivor was pretty darn good. I hope that Rob wins it. Rob needs to win the immunity tonight so he can't be voted off. If he gets it, I think that the bearded guy (forget his name) will be voted off, taking Rob, Amber and Jenna.

Exhaust Port
05-09-2004, 09:09 PM
I too don't understand the hype around the ending of Friends. USAToday has been wasting space in their paper for quite a while now revisiting old episode plots as they re-air. Who cares? The show projected such a washed down view of America that I doubt that it'll last the test of time. Shows like Cheers seemed to capture a moment in time. All Friends seemed to celebrate was sleeping around, failed marriages and misplaced morals all without the tongue in cheek that was found on Seinfeld.

Now if they could cut down on the amount of reruns in syndication so we can see something else around the 6:00-7:00 hour I would be much appriciative.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-09-2004, 10:50 PM
So, i woke up Friday morning and am getting ready for work and i'm browsing through the channels as TBS has Saved by the Bell: The college years and those were rather poor. But anyway, i run into "Good Morning America" and they have a panel discussing the last episode of "Friends" and all that happened. Ok, now we're getting ridiculous but it gets worse: they have something on the scroll thing on the bottom.

It went something like this: "2 die in car bombing in Iraq" (ABC News logo)"Fierce fighting in Iraq continues" (ABC News logo) "Ross and Rachel get back together on the emotional finale of "Friends" (ABC News logo) WHAT THE HELL. I mean, is this REALLY going to be the huge topic of news for the next month??!! Not only did i have to witness 99% of society get in a frenzy over the finale of the show, but every talk show from here to Hell had some topic dealing with "Friends" and then Leno had 1/2 of the cast on last night. I'm telling ya, this is a sign of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. I had thought that, "You Got Served" being #1 at the box office was horrible, but this is a new low for the entertainment industry!! :D

dr_evazan22
05-09-2004, 11:09 PM
If it's any consolation, Leno had all 6 on that night.

2-1B
05-10-2004, 01:10 AM
I never saw a complete episode (or "compleat" as Weird Al would spell) of Friends so I wasn't wrapped up in the finale hype.

Chux, I agree that the MOTU film blew but it did have plenty of potential. Why they had to create so many new characters is beyond me. But wait . . . what's it doing in my DVD collection ? ? ?

Exhaust Port
05-10-2004, 01:58 AM
I thought that Ms. Cox big break came in that Bruce Springstein video. She was one goofy dancing white girl in that thing.

2-1B
05-10-2004, 02:14 AM
With a chopped hairdo and a red and white striped shirt !

El Chuxter
05-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Big Tom's comment last night during the interrogation of Rob was priceless and made up for the final two not being him and Rupert.

"Don't be stupid, stupid!" I need a sound bite of that. :D

JediTricks
05-10-2004, 06:11 PM
(or "compleat" as Weird Al would spell) Actually, Al was parodying a Beatles documentary "The Compleat Beatles" (named after the book) where "complete" was spelled alternately in similar fashion to "beetles". Al's parody didn't stop with the title either, a large portion of "The Compleat Al" film is a parody, except about Weird Al's life instead of the Beatles'.

JEDIpartner
05-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I wasn't a "Friend" nor was I an "enemy"... I was more like an indifferent acquaintance. :)